• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
ARTICLE:Weather radio bill passes panel
They'd be required in mobile home sales
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps...0213/NEWS0101/802130826/1008/NEWS01#storychat

HIGHLIGHTS:
statistics show that occupants of mobile homes are 2,500 times more likely to die during severe storms than those of homes built on site.

would require retailers of new or used mobile homes to furnish the radios,

The bill is modeled after a law in Indiana that was passed after a 2005 tornado struck a mobile home park in Evansville, killing 20 people.

The Kentucky measure faces opposition from representatives of the manufactured housing industry, who argued that real estate agents selling site-built homes also should be required to furnish radios to homebuyers.
Here in Indiana this law is refered to as CJ's Law.

Should this be a state or federal law ?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian

Rem

Cyburbian
el Nina Breaks the Drought

The east coast of Australia has been receiving rain constantly since mid-January, following 7 years of drought.

Sydney's water storages have pushed through 60% after being as low as 30%. Work on a desalination plant for Sydney has been delayed due to wet weather (a beautiful irony).

In our area, water storages are at 100%.

There have been floods in most river systems between central Quennsland and northern NSW. Most east coast systems have had flash floods.

Water is flowing in the Murray Darling River system, the first time for many years.

Two consecutive cricket matches were abandoned in Brisbane due to rain - first time ever.

It is raining here today.

Rain is nice.

natski

Cyburbian
The east coast of Australia has been receiving rain constantly since mid-January, following 7 years of drought.

Sydney's water storages have pushed through 60% after being as low as 30%. Work on a desalination plant for Sydney has been delayed due to wet weather (a beautiful irony).

In our area, water storages are at 100%.

There have been floods in most river systems between central Quennsland and northern NSW. Most east coast systems have had flash floods.

Water is flowing in the Murray Darling River system, the first time for many years.

Two consecutive cricket matches were abandoned in Brisbane due to rain - first time ever.

It is raining here today.

Rain is nice.

Its is nice- but its ruining my chances of actually going to the beach this summer! :-D:-D:-D

zman

Cyburbian
Yesterday, clear and 55 degrees or so. Brought everyone into a spring-like mind.

Then, this morning it was cold, with 4 inches of snow. Everyone will be pissed off today.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is this winter ?
It is February so it should be.
Temp are usually cold - nope it is 60 degrees. :-c

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Ice Storm Warning - at least 1/4 inch glaze.
From 6 am to midnight Thursday.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Our courthouse closed at noon today because of the ice storm, canceling tonight's council meeting. The high schools dismissed at 11:00am, and elementary schools at Noon.

So far we have about 1/4" of ice -- it's slick as snot out there and it'll only get worse. Funny, though, that traffic is still flying past my house as if it weren't even raining/freezing. Stoopid Hoosier drivers.

Meanwhile, I'm warm, dry, enjoying an adult beverage, with the Cyb at my finger-tips. Life is goooooood.:-D

hilldweller

Cyburbian
We've been getting teased a bit by spring here in Albany..
Earlier in the week we were near the fifties but conditions quickly returned to frigid. Snow storm is expected this weekend.

Planit

Cyburbian
Sleet has begun to fall from the heavens are we're going to a concert tonight. Leaving might be fun after the show.

zman

Cyburbian
Nearly 60 degrees here on the high plains this afternoon. I brought my bike in and may have to take an extended commute home...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It has been raining since 10 a.m. here, with thunderstorms coming and going. And a lively tornado warning late this afternoon, apparently heading thru our town, but I guess passed us by. Still storming, and I guess will be with us all night and tomorrow. I hate tornadoes.

There are 3 of us. I have 3 cats. I asked RJ, if we hear "the train" would you pick up one of the cats to carry to the closet? He got that classic incredulous look. OK, how about if I hand one to you and you carry her outstretched so she can't claw you? Another look. No, I can't throw them in one by one, you throw one in, the others get out. We have to carry them in as we go. sigh...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Yes, we had some rain today. During this afternoon's rains I drove through lots of standing water on the way home and this is the post of flooded roads in our community....

Nearly every street is flooded

It's nasty out there. If it continues to rain tonight, I just might have to RJ-it tomorrow. Well, it is Friday. :D

EDIT: NWS is reporting... "A FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING"... that's ok provided I can golf on Sunday.

Last edited:

TOFB

Cyburbian
It hit 20 degrees today and the 1/2 inch of snow was nothing. It practically felt like spri . . . no, it sucked.:-(

Richmond Jake

Our EOC measured 10.5 inches of rain yesterday ending at midnight. It's built in the floodplain. Brilliant. They got flooded out. 911 operators have relocated to the sheriff's office. We're about an hour away from it starting all over again with a forecast for 6-8 inches more and severe t-storms. Utilities is releasing water from the reservoir as fast as possible to avoid more flooding.

The pool didn't overflow last night but it looks like it will tonight.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Chipped at least a third of an inch of ice off the car in the freezing rain. :(

Queen B

Cyburbian
It is snowing again. The weather forcast said clear and 40 today. We have 4 inches of snow. What the heck???

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We had a couple-three hours in the sun lounging by the pool today, it was about 76 d.

Shoot, we coulda had a margarita!!:-D

zman

Cyburbian
We are going to have 59 degres here today. Sunny and clear.
Good day to go out and try the new computer for my road bike. Heading out at 2pm, when the day should be the warmest. And maybe this time I will not have to don a touque.

euroa_rocks

Today I put an extra shirt on!!!!!!!!!!

Morning planners, today in southeastern Australia it was a chilly 28 degrees celcius. Yes it was cold enough to wear an extra T-shirt. I cant believe you people can live in such cold climates....... I am an Alpine Planner for the Victoria Ski Fields, and I rarely even go there in winter because I find the snow too difficult to drive in. It basically only snows down to 1500 metres, which is where our ski resorts are situated. I think 28 degrees celcius is equivelent to 82.4 degrees fahrenheit...

zman

Cyburbian
We are going to have 59 degres here today. Sunny and clear.
Good day to go out and try the new computer for my road bike. Heading out at 2pm, when the day should be the warmest. And maybe this time I will not have to don a touque.

No touque, but the WIND seemed to change direction everytime I did, always blowing in my face. Made for tough riding, but when still, the heat was on and the sun felt great.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Ugh. We had two days of beautiful weather Sunday and Monday which melted most of the snow and ice. Now, we're getting snow that's supposed to keep coming for the next two days. :-{

Richmond Jake

Our EOC measured 10.5 inches of rain yesterday ending at midnight. It's built in the floodplain. Brilliant. They got flooded out...
And because of the flooding, we've had to cancel our workforce housing meeting scheduled for next Monday and find a change of venue for the planning commission in March because they both conduct their hearings in the EOC conference room. The EOC is being dried-out, carpets replaced, and undergoing general repairs which aren't expected to be completed until late next month.

Again, brilliant.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Monday afternoon commute: 64 degrees and sunny
Wednesday morning commute: 19 degree wind chill and snow flurries

If you don't like the weather in Atlanta, just give it a couple of days...

zman

Cyburbian
Springtime on the High Plains...

Northern Colorado begins its bipolar spring weather.

We had 74 degrees yesterday, clear and sunny; I even had shorts on, took a nice leisurely bike ride with the wife.

Now we have 34, light snow and a freezing 20 mph wind. Time to clean the house.

^o)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Right now - Partly sunny and 70.
Monday - Heavy rainfall / Floodwatch.
Tuesday - Snow likely.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Dallas area:

Saturday: Sunny, 80 degrees, great outdoor weather. I got some yardwork done, ran a bunch of errands, went for a walk with the hubby.:-D

Sunday: Started out in the 70's, ended in the 50's. Cloudy in the AM, windy, cloudy and started to drizzle in the PM. Ran one errand, stayed in the rest of the day. Pouring rain, lightening and thunderboomers in the evening and throughout the night. :-(

Monday: Rain, thunderboomers, temp in the 40's for the drive in to work. Predicting freezing temps for the drive home, and snow possible in the northern counties of the metroplex. Up to 4 inches accumulation along the TX/OK border predicted for this evening and overnight.:-c

"If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 5 minutes."

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Monday: Rain, thunderboomers, temp in the 40's for the drive in to work. Predicting freezing temps for the drive home, and snow possible in the northern counties of the metroplex. Up to 4 inches accumulation along the TX/OK border predicted for this evening and overnight.:-c

"If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 5 minutes."

It's been more than 5 minutes but we just got hail too.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I think we're going to need an ark here pretty soon, given how hard and how long it's been raining. And a small lake has formed right outside the front door. :-o

If April showers bring May flowers, what is the result of March rains?

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Seems the cold air is moving into the Greater DFW Metroplex - North Texas - South Central Oklahoma area and turning our rain storm into a snow storm, possibly an ice storm. The commute home should be fun. Most Dallas drivers don't know how to drive in snow, much less ice! (Salmissra, I know you can :-D)

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Most Dallas drivers don't know how to drive

You could have stopped right there. No offense intended to our foreign born Asian or Indian Cyburbians but I lived in Ann Arbor for 20+ years and used to dread the first several snowfalls when they would venture out on the road for the first time. That's what Dallas is like everytime we have snow or ice. If you grew up driving at speed on dirt roads, you should be able to handle snow. The truth of the matter is that NOBODY can drive on ice in traffic safely, and that includes those of us from the frozen tundra.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
The truth of the matter is that NOBODY can drive on ice in traffic safely, and that includes those of us from the frozen tundra.

That's certainly true. One of the differences between living here and the Midwest is that this much snow up there would be no big deal to drive on. But here, native dallasites treat it like the Blizzard of 78. They don't seem to understand the difference between snow and ice.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Winter Storm Warning -
3 to 6 inches of snow predicted and the schools are closed.
Heavy snow this afternoon.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The big winter storm that walloped much of the Ohio Valley pretty much spared northwestern Ohio. Yeah, we had snow, but no more than the amounts that have been tumbling down all winter long. Here in Swanton we had about 8 inches of the white stuff. Just 30 miles to the east, the depths were in the 15-inch range. Columbus, OH, enjoyed something like 21-inches (and blizzard conditions).

Last night, Katie and I drove over to Delta (west of Swanton) and enjoyed a few drinks and dinner at a local establishment, Tully's. The drive over was a bit dicey, mainly due to patches of ice on the roads that had no protection from the wind. If there were trees or buildings near the road, the road was fine. The open spaces, icy. Typical for flatland winter driving conditions.

The forecast for later this week? Temps approaching the 50F range. Woo-hoo! :)

Bear

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I have the world's wimpiest snowblower.

About a foot and a half of snow (or, for those living in coiuntries that use the metric system, about 50 cm) fell on Cyburbia Central yesterday. The Forester couldn't make nit out of the driveway, so breaking out the snowblower was a must.

My snowblower is small; not one of those monster 20 horsepower Buffalo specials that can heave even the wettest stuff clear over your house. It's a little two-stroke Toro, and it takes more coaxing to get started than it does to get me out of bed on a Saturday morning when there's no curling. The pull cord is useless, so I get an electrical cord, find the nearest outlet, and follow an arcane rutual to get the thing started.

1) Plug it in.
2) Turn the ignition switch to "on"
3) Turn the choke to "on"
4) Give the manual fuel pump button a few pushes.
5) Press start

After you hit start, the snowblower makes a shrieking sound similar to the starter motor of a 1976 Plymouth Volare, wakes up with a rumble, and dies seconds later. Rise, lather, repeat, until it finally runs.

From there, theoretically you should move the choke to "off", and throw snow. Not with my Toro. The moment it so much as a single flake, it freaks out and stalls, as if it's saying "I'm a sunblower, not a snowblower! I'm not sending these delicate crystals of H20 to a certain doom!"

Finally, after about seven restarts, each followed with an increasingly lengthier stream of profanities that would make even the most seasoned J.B. Hunt driver blush, the snowblower stays running. During then time I cleared my driveway, I only had to restart it five or six times, when it hit the dense mix the city plows pile up at the end of the driveway.

No, it's not an old snowblower; it's resisted work since the day I bought it. Right now, I'm waiting for my parents to make good on their threat to move into a condo, so I can travel up to Buffalo and liberate their monster snowblower; the one that can heave chunks of ice clear across the street at velocities approaching the speed of sound.

zman

Cyburbian
Beautiful warm weather in Northern Colorado this weekend. The dogs have been playing a lot of ball in the backyard and I cruised around in the car listening to tunes with the windows rolled down. :-D

Planit

Cyburbian
High winds Saturday after rain on Friday. Heard this morning a tree fell on the car of the Asst. Town Manager in Matthews (suburb of Charlotte) and killed her.

It now going to be mid-60s all week.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Flood Warning - we have had close to 5 inches of rain today.

zman

Cyburbian
The incessant wind in Northern Colorado is beginning to piss me (and everyone else)... :-@

Bubba

Cyburbian
Raining hard again in the ATL - I hope all the folks with storm damage from the weekend managed to get tarps on their roofs...

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
National Weather Service said:
Snow is expected to overspread the area after midnight tonight and continue through the day Friday before diminishing early Friday evening. There is a potential for storm total snowfall accumulations of 5 to 7 inches over much of the watch area.

I'm dreaming of a white...Easter? Will winter ever end?

Bubba

Cyburbian
View of the storm/tornado that hit downtown Atlanta last weekend:

2uo2qgx.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
6-10" inches of snow predicted today. Naturally, I got the peas planted earlier this week.:-@