• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Just saw on the news that GR has had a record 95" of snow this winter. If you go to triple digits with this snowfall, you'll have to put an asterisk next to it since it's now Spring.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
It's an absolutely beautiful, sunny day here, and I'm so tempted to go out for a walk in the sunshine... but it's completely misleading, because it's #%#)(*@Q windy and cold. :-@

I want spring, darn it!

Tresmo

Cyburbian
View of the storm/tornado that hit downtown Atlanta last weekend:

2uo2qgx.jpg

Holy crap. That's an amazing picture.

Next week is supposed to be beautiful here. After lunch today MrT and I walked around downtown and looked at antiques. I just want to LEAVE and enjoy the weather!!!

zman

Cyburbian
Cold this morning, but nice and toasty right now (55 degrees). Almost good for sitting in the driveway for a :b:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
72, sunny (I swear there was not a cloud in the sky the entire day!) and good for 4 hrs by the pool.:) Too bad RJ only got home for the last hour and a half...

Hey Bubba, I saw a bunch of that guy's pics on Good Morning America this morning and they were all amazing. He said he didn't even realize he was looking at a tornado, he was trying to get pics of the lightning.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
More Snow

The Toledo area did get more snow, bringing our total to a level of about 10th snowiest on record (somewhere around 50 inches).

Today's lesson: Toledo doesn't usually get a lot of snow. We are at the wrong end (or the "right" end, if you don't like the white stuff) of Lake Erie to be affected by lake-induced moisture. Our snow is usually from the southwest and west (our prevailing winds) and is usually part of normal weather patterns in the midwest.

This Bear resides in eastern Fulton County. For this storm we enjoyed about 5-inches of snow. Just to the south of us (maybe 10 miles) the snow was mixed with rain so their total was only an inch or two. 15 miles to the north (in southeastern Michigan) they are playing with about 10-inches of snow.

Oh well, it will all melt by the end of the week, as temperatures move back to above normal.....back into the 50F range.
_____

As of March 16, Eagle Harbor, MI was at 248-inches of the powder. Slightly-above normal for those folks on the Keweenaw Peninsula of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Used to be a little bar on the lake, on the Maine-coast-like road between Eagle Harbor and Copper Harbor. But that's another story. ;-)

Bear

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wayne County is at 5th snowiest on record. Time to go shovel, I wish I did not put the shovel in the garage loft so early!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, McHenry County, IL has set a new snowfall record. After this recent 6-inch snowfall, we have now accumulated a record-setting 77.8 inches of snow this winter. Snowiest winter ever...even beating the 1978-79 season.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Good thing I booked a 7:10 AM flight out of O'Hare yesterday. It was just starting to snow when I left. I think easter will be colder than christmas for much of the country this year.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Well we got fooled by the fat-a$$ guy on the local NBC affiliate that RJ watches.:r: Sunny, all day. Not. A couple hours of intermittent sun with high thin clouds, then totally overcast. I think the IV index was supposed to be a 9 but it was more like a 3. On the other hand, it sure was nice and warm, and we got the strawberries in the ground, and the rubber mulch down. And RJ put up the mister to keep the patio cool when the temps are over 90 d.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Wow, the weather was perfect today. Temps in the mid 70s, clear sky, light breeze. The forecast is for more of the same tomorrow. So I started thinking this afternoon...what am I doing in this office?

I asked Da Man, "Can I take tomorrow off? There's nothing on my calendar. I'll use a sick day."

"If you're sick, you should stay home," was Da Man's response.

Ya'll know where I'll be. :h: I have some chores to complete first. I bought a new pool vacuum hose during lunch so I'll hit that tomorrow morning, then a quick run to Sam's Club.

Queen B

Cyburbian
It is marginally ok here. Things are starting to green a slight bit. It has been windy every other day so they still can't burn from the ice storm.
The neighbor has daffodils blooming

btrage

Cyburbian
Just saw on the news that GR has had a record 95" of snow this winter. If you go to triple digits with this snowfall, you'll have to put an asterisk next to it since it's now Spring.

After a brief snow accumlation last Friday, this is now the 2nd snowiest season in history for GR.

However, the three months of December, January and February did set the record for the snowiest in history.

I can still see bits and pieces of snow out my window now. :-(

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian

Partly cloudy, windy, and 77 here. Supposed to get to 86 later. No snow in sight, just thought you'd like to know.

TOFB

Cyburbian
After a brief snow accumlation last Friday, this is now the 2nd snowiest season in history for GR.

However, the three months of December, January and February did set the record for the snowiest in history.

When I worked in GR, the airport would get about 75 inches, Wyoming (home) would get about 90, and Holland get about 120.

damn lake effect . . .

Planit

Cyburbian
Sunny and 75 degrees with light wind. Nice day to walk on the Rail Trail for lunch.

Richmond Jake

While sipping margaritas this afternoon, I think I burnt some body parts that aren't normally exposed to the sun. :-$ :a:

I know, TMI....

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
While sipping margaritas this afternoon, I think I burnt some body parts that aren't normally exposed to the sun. :-$ :a:

I know, TMI....

I'll get the lotion out!

Temp at 4 this afternoon was 74 for both air and pool water. In a few days.... it'll be 80 here and the pool will be just right for a dip. :-D Think solar, fellow Cyburbians. It's a wonderful thing.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow, I came in here to complain on the 3 inches of snow that fell this morning and is still coming and then I saw the Atlanta photo - yipes! :-o

but this is a strange photo just the same for the end of March - taken up in Caribou (north of heeya)

r.aspx

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Geez, two days ago I thought spring was here at last: I took the dog out for a walk several days in a row, started thinking about cleaning up the garden, etc... What the heck is this white stuff?!?

Oh well, hopefully it'll all melt over the weekend. Right? :-o

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Merry Christmas !!!

On Thursday evening, the Toledo area enjoyed the wide band of heavy, wet snow that fell all through the lower Great Lakes. We received about 5 inches. The drive in to the workplace was fun, although not much traffic for a certain Bear who arrived at his office at 5:00 AM. :-c

I had to conduct a meeting with my employees at 7:00 AM. As I stepped in front of the crowd, all quite tired of snowfall, I smiled and said "Merry Christmas!".

Broke the ice.......they laughed.

C'mon, springtime.....

Bear

Otis

Cyburbian
We had springtime snow on Friday and again today. We rarely get snow at all on the coast, and now twice on a spring weekend.:-c

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Summertime

Gonna do something a little different on this thread.....gonna celebrate "summertime" on the last day of March, as a long, snowy,and cold winter slowly slides away. What better way to celebrate than to share a musical bit from 1966.....if you close your eyes you can almost visualize this Bear, about to graduate from high school, and digging an incredible version of a superb song.

More than 40 years later this tune still gives me the chills.

Enjoy.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDLDl0_pt_k

Richmond Jake

Temps in the upper 70's and low 80's the past several days--lows in the lower 60's. Lots of sunshine. Ceiling fans on; windows open all night. Oh course the humidity is also raising. :r:

Pool temperature this afternoon: 81 degrees. The solar system is working wonders. :h:

Richmond Jake

Temp about 84 degrees and mostly clear skies when I arrived home this afternoon. ZG had just come in from the pool. All the windows in the house open.

"What's that sound? It's the air-conditioner," I observed. We closed the windows and French doors.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Snow?

Happy April 13 to all.....and happy snow flakes to those of us living in NW Ohio and SE Michigan. Friday afternoon it was in the mid-70F range, the storms came through, and here we are on a Sunday morning, seeing those pesky little snow flurries fly by my window.

Not to worry, though.....expecting mid-70F range later this week......which will be above-normal.

Ho, ho, ho.

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thank god the dumb ass weather person was totally wrong and it was 10 degress warmer than predicted, not a cloud in the sky. Four and a half hours by the pool; yes! Dinner on the patio. Ribs, rice, and sourdough bread; I may have to post a pic later...(Not of us by the pool, of course...)

zman

Cyburbian
Crooked Commute

Well, it is May 2, 2008

My walk into work was a little askew as I was walking into sustained 50 mph winds.... and the temp is a toasty 39f.

I forgot my touque, now I have a headache... :-@

High wind warning for Northern CO/Southern Wyo until 3:45pm today.

Richmond Jake

Currently clear skies, 84 d with a light breeze. I think it's a good day to blow outta here early and head for the pool. :h:

zman

Cyburbian
Currently clear skies, 84 d with a light breeze. I think it's a good day to blow outta here early and head for the pool. :h:

Nuts! The Pool!!!

Well, it is still windy here. Gust up to 65 mph. It blew an 80 year old spruce tree over almost falling into our offices... :-c

I better get home and make sure th dogs aren't going crazy, I have never seen winds like this and our town clerk (who used to live in Florida) says it reminds her of hurricane season... :-c

Maybe the wind will get so bad I too can "blow" out of here early. ;)

TOFB

Cyburbian
Yesterday was interesting, Vegas, glorious bright sunshine 70 degrees, then to Denver 33 degrees snowing, then home, 62 degrees tornado warning.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Today in NW Ohio we had cool (55F) rain in the morning. After the rain slid away, it warmed to near 70F. More rain and temps just a bit lower this evening. Chance of severe weather, but we are on the edge of the severe blotch.

I have always been intrigued by weather. That's why I watch THE WEATHER CHANNEL.

Err......that's the second reason for watching that channel. The first reason would be the hot women who present the weather. :p

Bear

TOFB

Cyburbian
Err......that's the second reason for watching that channel. The first reason would be the hot women who present the weather. :p

Bear

I watch Univision weather. Helps me keep my Spanish from getting too rough, and those girls are SMOKIN'.

amyk

Cyburbian
Anchorage has been enjoying clear sunny skies and 60 degree temps all week. And with the sun setting after 11:00 pm now, we have nice long evenings to play outside. :-D

On the other hand, I just got a message from my best friend at the Grand Canyon: It's snowing. :p

zman

Cyburbian
The One has been in contact with me on the tornado thingy.Everything is good at the house and the dogs are okay. My wife and I were (and still are) out of town. We'll be back tomorrow to see the damage. The tornado was in the area, about 3 miles from my place. I saw some damage on the news and all I have to say is that I am glad that we did NOT board the dogs in Windsor. :-c They're safe at home and acting like nothing happened, thanks to the report from our wonderful neighbors:-DThanks for the concern from all and the phone call from The One

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The One has been in contact with me on the tornado thingy.Everything is good at the house and the dogs are okay. My wife and I were (and still are) out of town. We'll be back tomorrow to see the damage. The tornado was in the area, about 3 miles from my place. I saw some damage on the news and all I have to say is that I am glad that we did NOT board the dogs in Windsor. :-c They're safe at home and acting like nothing happened, thanks to the report from our wonderful neighbors:-DThanks for the concern from all and the phone call from The One

3 miles...wow...talk about a close call. Glad you, your house, and your dogs are ok.

Richmond Jake

The only thunderstorm within 100 miles (according to the national weather radar) and we're right in the middle of it. ZG and I had to make a hasty retreat from the pool deck when it started. BTW, water temp: 92 degrees, air temp (not adjusted to heat index), was 94 before the rain and lightning started.

I finished my golf game this morning before it all moved in.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 2 am.
Long Range Radar showing two lines/storm front seperated by 80 miles, moving east.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I was camping all weekend. Sunday evening 3 squall lines pushed thru. The first brought hail, and a thunderstorm the second arrives 45 minutes later and delivered 60 mph winds and driving rain. The third was a slow moving lighting storm. Lots of tree damage but no property damage thank goodness.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
This morning, I hear that it might rain early this afternoon, if this, that and some other meteorlogical conditions are met. Thinking that the chance for rain was pretty slim, I went out for lunch. About half-way through my sandwich and chips, I look out the window and see dark clouds, strong winds, and little light. I headed out right away, and the temp had drop noticeably. The rain started about 5 minutes later, and it's still going.

Very strange, when it's been 95+ degrees the last few days, with high humidity and no clouds.

Since I'm wearing a white shirt, I'm glad I missed getting wet!!

Richmond Jake

Current conditions 11:28 am.

91.4 °F / 33 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 74%
Heat Index: 111 °F / 44 °C

Yikes!!!!!

Edit at 12:15....92.5 °F / 33.6 °C....Heat Index: 116 °F / 46 °C

Last edited: