• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

zman

Cyburbian
With tornados nearby 2 weeks ago, to rainy Seattle-type weather last week, to HOT weekends, to a massive hail storm running through about 11pm last night, the weather has been very interesting here in No. Colo. lately.

80 degrees today, Thursday (day of the Rush show in Denver) will be about 60 degrees with scattered showers... :-@

Golf on Friday in Denver will be in the high 70s and sunny. :-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It's been close to 100 here the last few days. We had to adjust the pool pump to keep the pool from getting too hot. It's now running from 5-11 a.m. instead of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. 94 d. water is a bit much.

Getting humid, too; I had a floor fan on me out by the pool today and it was still terribly hot.

Queen B

Cyburbian
OK, so all of you that worry about the effects of tornados. Watch the weather/ news reports tomorrow. The have announced an un presidented tornado warning. They say that all the conditions are exactly like they were in 1974 when it spawned 39 tornados and killed 22 people. One of the places it hit was Emporia KS. It took the mall, a nursing home, and many homes killing 6 there.

They say they will stretch from Nebraska through Oklahoma.

There was a storm with baseball sized hail last week. They are also predicting hail that size. Worse they are saying that the storms will be training and so if you think you are clear after it comes through be cautious. I have never in my life time heard this kind of a warning. We are getting prepared. King B backed up the computers at work and has deposited the tapes off site. We are gathering they things in the yard that can become projectiles and are taking pictures of our belongings. We will both go to work in the morning but will watch closly and head home before the weather turns bad.

Thos of you that pray might say a few for those of us in the plains.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
OK, so all of you that worry about the effects of tornados. Watch the weather/ news reports tomorrow. The have announced an un presidented tornado warning. They say that all the conditions are exactly like they were in 1974 when it spawned 39 tornados and killed 22 people. One of the places it hit was Emporia KS. It took the mall, a nursing home, and many homes killing 6 there.

They say they will stretch from Nebraska through Oklahoma.

There was a storm with baseball sized hail last week. They are also predicting hail that size. Worse they are saying that the storms will be training and so if you think you are clear after it comes through be cautious. I have never in my life time heard this kind of a warning. We are getting prepared. King B backed up the computers at work and has deposited the tapes off site. We are gathering they things in the yard that can become projectiles and are taking pictures of our belongings. We will both go to work in the morning but will watch closly and head home before the weather turns bad.

Thos of you that pray might say a few for those of us in the plains.

Good god, QB, we will all be thinking about you! I remember in the 2004 hurricane season, videotaping everything in my house, my mom's house, and my friend who evacuating us to her house. You're pretty scared when you have to do that. Please let us know how you are doing when this front passes from your area. Just don't run to the front of the house and videotape anything approaching.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
The DC area got pounded last night, hundreds of thousands of folks are still without power, the sounds of sirens are almost non stop, traffic is...worse than F'd. At least one person died when a tree got em. They think 3 twisters touched down, noting big but its still a big deal here. Our little section of the burbs is all torn up with poles, lines and trees all over. They are saying we may not get power back until Sat with temps climbing into the 90s Fri and Sat. its already hot as hell out there with high humidity so the hell hounds are not happy campers.

Four waves of the storm came though so you could not even sleep with the windows open for fear of water/stuff coming in.

Sure not as bad as the storms we had in Bama but we got lots more trees here

Queen B

Cyburbian
The first bad wave of storms came through. Not as bad for us as they had predicted but it has been spauning a few little twisters. Strainght line winds have been bad but not right here. The radar is pretty spectacular. The front stretches from Texas to Iowa. I didn't hear any hail larger than golf balls.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Probably about 2 inches in 1 hour over here. The neighbors have photos of me fishing in the street, which was flowing pretty good for about an hour. No tornado sirens tonight. It's been a very wet spring. Great for localized flooding and silt fence failure.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rough Weather Heading Toward Bear

:-c:-c:-c

Friday, about 7:30 PM, EDT.....8:46 AM in parts of Indiana ;-).....rough weather heading toward NW Ohio. The weather dudes keep interupting regular programming, Super-Duper Dop-Puppy Radar showing a ton of reds and yellows on the Ohio-Indiana border, moving to the NE. The first batch will probably scoot west of metro Toledo. However the batch due about Midnight is on-track for my neck of the woods.

Roo-hoo....

I really get uncomfortable when the tornado watches and warnings occur during darkness. And I really miss my rural Henry County homestead. We could sit on the front porch and watch the storms roll in.....great view because the Maumee State Forest was just north of us but corn and bean fields to the southwest, the prime direction for our storm watching.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The entire Chicago metro area was under a tornado watch this afternoon. Luckily, most of the action missed the most populated areas. However, a tornado occurred 20-30 miles to the northwest of me, near Harvard, IL, across some of the same locations that got an EF-3 tornado back in January. :-c Funny how some of the same places get hit all the time, while other locales are spared.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hot Hot Hot.....arrived in SC today and it was 98F :-c

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
More Storms A'Comin' !!!

NW OH and southern Michigan were battered last night by severe storms. Just drove through beautiful downtown Swanton, OH, to drop off my truck for an oil change and lube-a-tron. Lots of big tree limbs down, a few trees down, small branches everywhere. We were under tornado warnings for a while last night but there has been no confirmation of actual funnel cloud touch downs.

The storms were moving so fast (more than 60 mph) that the heavy rain only lasted a couple minutes. The more severe tornadoes that hit NW Ohio a week ago (also on a Friday night) were slow-moving storms.....but there were (Tornado Scale) F4 twisters in last week's barrage. Last week's storms caused significant damage. Last night's storms.....some damage, but not much.

It has been quite a 2008 for the United States, regarding tornadoes. And the season is only at the half-way point. :-c

Yestrerday's NW Ohio temperature was 93F, almost 20 degrees above normal. The forecast for today and tomorrow.....more heating of the atmosphere, more temps in the 90F range. Perhaps a little less humidity, though. A drier air content will help squash severe storms.

Bear With His Blue Eyes To The Skies

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
At 10 PM it is still 85. :r:

TV news showing flooding in Cetral Indiana but none here along the Ohio River.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
A violent, destructive, half-mile wide tornado tore through parts of the southern suburbs of Chicago in Cook, Will, Grundy, and Livingston Counties this afternoon. Trees and power lines were downed, trucks over-turned and destroyed, apartment buildings were stripped, some houses were destroyed, and roofs were blown off in many areas. There were some injuries but none appear to be serious, at least from what I've heard so far. The video footage of the storm is stunning, though...definitely was an ominous looking tornado. Luckily, the half-mile wide tornado which originated in sparsely populated rural areas weakened and got smaller as it headed into the more populated areas in Will and Cook Counties.

In addition, a funnel cloud was spotted just about 5-10 miles northwest of me, which later spawned a tornado in Lake County, IL.

My county is under a Tornado Watch until 3am as we could be potentially clipped by some severe weather out of Wisconsin and Iowa later tonight.

Severe weather is on tap again for Sunday and Monday. :-c

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Storms rolled through yesterday afternoon. While there were no tornados, there winds of 70 MPH and hail the size of tennis balls were reported. We were lucky and it missed us, but the reports came from just less than two miles away. I don't know how many inches of rain we had, but it took some effort to avoid flooding.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Last Day Of Storms

As of this posting, there are a couple tornadoes on the ground, in NW Ohio. Probably about 70 miles from Swanton, but on a bee-line for the Toledo Metro Area. There is some cooling, though.....and that cooling may help to weaken those storms as they approach.

No warning for Fulton County (this Bear's home).....yet.

Keeping an eye on the sky.

After the storms finally slide through, temperatures back to just a few degrees above normal. The Tuesday high will be about 79F. Today it was about 95F.

Bear

SGB

Cyburbian
Your regional radar looks a bit scary, Bear.

Be safe.

As of this posting, there are a couple tornadoes on the ground, in NW Ohio. Probably about 70 miles from Swanton, but on a bee-line for the Toledo Metro Area. There is some cooling, though.....and that cooling may help to weaken those storms as they approach.

No warning for Fulton County (this Bear's home).....yet.

Keeping an eye on the sky.

After the storms finally slide through, temperatures back to just a few degrees above normal. The Tuesday high will be about 79F. Today it was about 95F.

Bear

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
on a milder note:

a fog rolled in from the bay and it dropped the temperature about 20 degrees lower than my house on the other side of the island, 10 miles away! it's pretty thick! :-o

tsc

Cyburbian
New York Metro is sweltering....lucky I live in the highlands. I watched the temperature go up and down from where I work to home. It always spikes near the Hudson River.. about 2 miles from my house it hit 100...my house right now is 91...and humid. Storms are a coming...tornado warnings. I refuse to put in my AC yet... stubborn...and sweaty:-c

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
New York Metro is sweltering....lucky I live in the highlands. I watched the temperature go up and down from where I work to home. It always spikes near the Hudson River.. about 2 miles from my house it hit 100...my house right now is 91...and humid. Storms are a coming...tornado warnings. I refuse to put in my AC yet... stubborn...and sweaty:-c

I put mine in two weeks ago but didn't turn it on until last night. I'm glad it's in now!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Storms rolled through yesterday afternoon. While there were no tornados, there winds of 70 MPH and hail the size of tennis balls were reported. We were lucky and it missed us, but the reports came from just less than two miles away. I don't know how many inches of rain we had, but it took some effort to avoid flooding.

UPDATE: By my place 20 minutes east of Cardinal we had 6.5 inches of rain in 36 hours, with more forecast for tonight. 8 tornados were confirmed across the state.

-Lake Delton - about a 250 acre water body - in central Wisconsin breached and drained into the Wisconsin River. Several homes were washed away. This is a major resort and tourism spot, devastated for the year.

-Closer to home a dam breach is threatening to drain TWO lakes into a river already 8 feet over flood stage. Interstate 43 is closed due to the threat. One official says its not a matter of IF but WHEN the breach occurs.

- Interstate 94 West is closed between Milwaukee and Madison due to swollen rivers that threaten bridge integrity.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow Chet :-c

no rain, no heat - my pellet stove went on this morning and it's still foggy (the air, not just me)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
UPDATE: By my place 20 minutes east of Cardinal we had 6.5 inches of rain in 36 hours, with more forecast for tonight. 8 tornados were confirmed across the state.

-Lake Delton - about a 250 acre water body - in central Wisconsin breached and drained into the Wisconsin River. Several homes were washed away. This is a major resort and tourism spot, devastated for the year.

-Closer to home a dam breach is threatening to drain TWO lakes into a river already 8 feet over flood stage. Interstate 43 is closed due to the threat. One official says its not a matter of IF but WHEN the breach occurs.

- Interstate 94 West is closed between Milwaukee and Madison due to swollen rivers that threaten bridge integrity.

Adding to the saga... The power was out for five hours Monday. Cardinal ended up buying a generator to provide electric for the sump pump, well, and refrigerator. Fortunately our chalet is sitting up on a bit of a hill.

In addition to the interstates Chet mentioned, several major roads in teh area have been closed, or at least were closed for part of the week. Up to five inches of rain are expected tomorrow.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Up to five inches of rain are expected tomorrow.

Well, that's just fantastic, because all the rain you guys get up in Wisconsin ends up downstream in Illinois, flooding our rivers too. It's feast or famine, with the rain around here, I tell ya. For several years, it was drought. And now the past two years has been non-stop flooding.

Budgie

Cyburbian
My community dodged a major bullet last night. The rotation was above our town, but didn't touch down until it was 9 miles up the road where it hit a neighboring town head on.

TOFB

Cyburbian
City just called for all hands to report for sandbagging, and a tornado watch is ongoing. And we are the lucky ones. KSharpe's town is really hurting right now.

'Bye

SGB

Cyburbian
It's been close to 100 here the last few days. We had to adjust the pool pump to keep the pool from getting too hot. It's now running from 5-11 a.m. instead of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. 94 d. water is a bit much.

Solution: pool party. Price of admission: two bags of ice to be placed immediately into the pool.

Western part of my county is under a frost advisory for tonight. A nice turnabout from the 100 + heat index temperatures we had a few days ago. :-c

Last edited by a moderator:

Queen B

Cyburbian
Tornado pictures in the gallery.
EF3
I have to get off to work.
The one fatality was my daughter's stepsister. It has taken it's toll on my family.

Planit

Cyburbian
EF3
The one fatality was my daughter's stepsister. It has taken it's toll on my family.

Very sorry to hear the news. Very sad indeed, Thoughts and prayers go out to the family QB !!!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
EF3

how horrible! i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :( my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
damn Queen B I'm so sorry. Makes all my woes small in comparison. Best wished from this point forward

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Hailstorm

At lunchtime yesterday, it was a beautiful day, not too hot, sunny with a nice breeze, so I took the dog for a walk.

Less than three hours later, the skies had turned dark and the rain began to come down in sheets. My office is on the 2nd (top) floor; it sounded like someone was dropping buckets of ball bearings on the roof. When I looked outside, I realized it was hail, which isn't very common around here. Oddly enough, there was no hail less than two miles down the road where my husband works! Here are some pics I managed to take through the window:

picture.php

picture.php

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Last night about 11:30 I was awakened by our weather radio going off. In the next couple hours, 4-5 more alerts, tornado warnings, etc. Kid and I sat up. Massive thunder and lightning. The good thing is, our whole-house generator kicked on, so we had a/c, ceiling fans, etc. The bad thing is, it screwed up the connect to the power co so our pool pump won't stop running, thermostat is screwed up, etc. RJ was on the phone with them at least 3 times tonite and I guess this rates a tech coming over, dang.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The northwest suburbs of Chicago were pounded by severe thunderstorms yesterday afternoon. Especially hard hit were the town I live in and the town I work for, in southeastern McHenry County. We received a 15-minute hailstorm (half dollar size hail), destructive winds, severe cloud-to-ground lightning, and torrential rain. Last night on my drive home, I saw numerous 10 to 15-year old parkway trees snapped at the base, branches and leaves down everywhere, and drove through areas that were flooded with 6 to 8 inches of rain. I called my municipality's police department on the way home to inform them since it was so bad. When I got home, all the shutters on my house were broke and beat to hell by hail, and the paint was peeled off on the trim. I get in to work this morning and learn that an entire subdivision in town had wind-blown hail damage to the siding of the houses (meaning that the hail completely penetrated the siding and made huge holes). The houses looked like swiss cheese, and there were tarps on many of the houses. All the roofers, siders, and landscapers are having a field day.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The last week, we have had an odd pattern of morning thunderstorms, like 7 or 8 a.m. Usually, they are in the afternoons all summer. Now we are having them morning, noon, and afternoon.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The typically weather pattern has hit the Florida panhandle. Clear skies in the morning and afternoon thunderstorms. This will continue, how long? Through October? We got the golf game in this morning after playing through the super slow foursome in front of us.

Got a couple of hours by the pool around mid-day before the rain started. :h:

zman

Cyburbian
It has been hot, but not too hot. 98 degrees for a couple days and then cool down to 82.
The weather patterns on Colorado's high plains have been most accomodating the past couple weeks. Hot during the week and then cooler on the weekends. The rains have stopped and the grass is dying.

So it goes.

When is fall coming?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was some pretty good lightening and thunder rolling through Queens this morning at 5am which set off many car alarms and woke me up way ahead of schedule :-{

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Looking at the NWS website for the Jersey Shore -
High Risk for rip currents created by the storm Bertha. Hope that passes before I get there Friday.
Rip currents can be scary if you ever been caught in one. :-c

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking at the NWS website for the Jersey Shore -
High Risk for rip currents created by the storm Bertha. Hope that passes before I get there Friday.
Rip currents can be scary if you ever been caught in one. :-c

Yes they can be-most people mistakenly try to swim to shore if caught in one; need to swim parallel to shore to get out of it. Went to Jones Beach State Park yesterday and the waves were pretty fierce, I declined to go full on swimming because of it. Even while wading I could feel it pretty strongly. Three people died at the NJ shore yesterday, two in Wildwood and the other in AC if I am not mistaken.

zman

Cyburbian
All this talk of heat and humidity brought me thoughts of the weather.

I had tyhe central a/c put in the house (finally) last Friday--just in time for Saturday and Sunday with temperature readings in the 100s! :h:

Now, we're just in the high 90s and dry. Dry as a bone.

But I am sleeping better at night with the a/c... :)

Planit

Cyburbian
We're in the 98+ degree range with high humity. The air is very "thick" as they say. I walked to the post office (four blocks away) at lunch and I was dripping wet with sweat.

The afternoon thunderstorms (cooling off rains) are forecasted until tomorrow at the earilest.