• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
:h:Twas a balmy 102 yesterday and 103 is projected for today. With a little luck, we'll get some cloud cover from Hurricane Dolly to drop us back into the upper 90's for a couple days, then it will be back to triple digits again. No room for hot weather wimps in Texas summers. :6::6::6:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
:h:Twas a balmy 102 yesterday and 103 is projected for today. With a little luck, we'll get some cloud cover from Hurricane Dolly to drop us back into the upper 90's for a couple days, then it will be back to triple digits again. No room for hot weather wimps in Texas summers. :6::6::6:
Yeah, and you can have it.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member

Yeah, you gotta love the pressure cooker we get just before a hurricane makes landfall! I'm hoping it pushes a little further north toward Corpus Christi so we get some good rain bands in Central Texas; a made sure to wax the car yesterday just to mock the rain gods. I know a 3-month old that has yet to see water fall from the sky.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
From partly sunny and muggy to dark and muggy to thunder and lightning and heavy rain and windy to clearing skies and muggy to dark and muggy and thunder and lightning and heavy rain and windy. Repeat.

That's what this whole week has been like. :-o My significant other's bike trip across the state has been a soggy mess... It's impossible to get the tent, clothing, etc. to dry out before packing it up for the next night.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tornado Watch until 1 am covering a large area:
N - counties north along I-64, E - Owensboro, KY, S - counties south along the Ohio River, W - west off Mississippi River.

zman

Cyburbian
The 19th straight day of 90 degrees+ here on the high plains of Colorado. (New record, by the way)

Today marks the beginning of 3 days in a row of 100+ degrees.

Glad the A/C is installed and working, just hope the power grid holds up.

We also have a heat advisory... never seen that issued in Colorado before.

boiker

Cyburbian
Today will mark the 22nd day of 110+ in Phoenix this summer. Apparently, we are on track to break last years record of 37 110+ days.

zman

Cyburbian
Today will mark the 22nd day of 110+ in Phoenix this summer. Apparently, we are on track to break last years record of 37 110+ days.

That makes Northern Colorado feel downright mild.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We have not yet had a 90 degree day in SE Wisconsin. I am NOT complaining

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RJ has said when he grew up in CA, there were no thunderstorms. We're in the middle of the season here now, to the point our youngest cat has just skedaddled to points in the house unknown. Round 2 for today; thunder for a good portion of the afternoon, finally some rain now.

We get the big, cracking, booming thunder that precedes power outages, pretty much. But, just got the LP tank topped off for the house generator, so we're OK. I'm surprised RJ and the kid haven't been awakened yet by the noise.

zman

Cyburbian
We're finally cooled down and got a t-storm with 3 inches of rain 2 nights ago. Yeah, I was still grilling outside that night--nothing will stop me! :6:

Apparently there were tornado warnings too, but I didn't get them (not watching TV the past couple nights) and Weather.com is a little late in posting warnings...:r:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
There were 70mph straight line t-storm winds at my college earlier in the week, as part of a bow-echo/derecho that spawned five minor tornadoes in the western suburbs of Chicago and northwest Indiana that de-roofed homes, destroyed sheds, and downed trees. The storm also prompted tornado warnings in downtown Chicago, which caused Wrigley Field to order fans to evacuate to the concourse, O'Hare Airport to evacuate people to the lower level, and Ogilvie Transportation Center to order people away from the windows. Luckily, all the action went just to the south of my house. There was a funnel cloud spotted only 7 miles or so from me, but all we got was a little rain.

But the rest of the week has been perfect. 80 degree days and beautiful 70 degree evenings, perfect for taking a drive, rolling down the windows, and crankin' some Bon Jovi on my new car stereo.

zman

Cyburbian
It's Coming!!!!

This morning, I felt the cool morning Colorado air that is only felt in Fall. It wasn't at its full strength yet, but it was there.

Today, high of 80f. Tomorrow high of 62 and a low of 48! It is ever supposed to snow in the mountains!!

Fall is coming, and this guy is happy! :h: :D

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
At 9 pm it is 69 degrees - windows are open. :)

This morning, I felt the cool morning Colorado air that is only felt in Fall. It wasn't at its full strength yet, but it was there.

Today, high of 80f. Tomorrow high of 62 and a low of 48! It is ever supposed to snow in the mountains!!

Fall is coming, and this guy is happy! :h: :D

Is the cold weather that you're looking forward to or the fact that it won't be long until all the Texans go home? Of course, we all come back to clog up your ski slopes for the winter. :D:D:D

zman

Cyburbian
Is the cold weather that you're looking forward to or the fact that it won't be long until all the Texans go home? Of course, we all come back to clog up your ski slopes for the winter. :D:D:D

Looking forward to the cold weather. There are Texans EVERYWHERE here so I kind of put that in the back of my mind (and they'll never leave it seems...)

As for the skiiing, if one stays away from teh large glitzy resorts, the Texan ratio goes down. (of course, I stay off of I-70 during winter now anymore and may be heading to Wyoming for skiing).

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Looking forward to the cold weather. There are Texans EVERYWHERE here so I kind of put that in the back of my mind (and they'll never leave it seems...)

As for the skiiing, if one stays away from teh large glitzy resorts, the Texan ratio goes down. (of course, I stay off of I-70 during winter now anymore and may be heading to Wyoming for skiing).

Sounds like a similar argument Texans have (as well as Seattlites, Arizonans, Las Vegans, and Portlanders have) about Californians.

zman

Cyburbian
Sounds like a similar argument Texans have (as well as Seattlites, Arizonans, Las Vegans, and Portlanders have) about Californians.

Yeah, you can add Californians to the list as well here.

[ot]I was presiding over a neighborhood meeting at my old job when the developer was trying to introduce himself to the interested towns people. When asked what he has built before he cited numerous development in Dallas and Los Angeles in his verbal resume and how he wanted to bring something similar to _______, Colorado.

That was the closest I had ever seen to someone getting "run out of town"! :-c Needless to say, no one was impressed. [/ot]

Back to weather, we are now downgraded to 59 degree for a high temp tomorrow. :-D

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debby Downer, meets Suzie upper

I'm ready for some light therapy - 2 weeks of rain, mixed with fog, mixed with clouds - x|

but, if you are into Japanese moss gardens, they are spectacular in Maine right now - wow :)

zman

Cyburbian
After a wild t-storm arrives...

.... comes the giant hail. :-c

At least the dogs aren't freaking out. The TeeVee went out during syndicated Seinfeld though. Guess I'll start reading early.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had a pretty good squall and lost power for a bit. It wasn't fun driving through the construction zone which had 6 inches of standing water in it.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
In central FL, 3 hrs of wild storms last night. Had a hard time fitting in a smoke on the porch with all the lightning. My friend 45 min north of here had all her patio furniture and pool stuff scattered around the neighborhood, and my brother to the nw described it as a mini-hurricane.

zman

Cyburbian
51 and rainy right now. Grey and misty. My wife harkened it to "Oregon Coast" weather and I agree (from my limited experience there...).

The town festival begins tonight. One area where a tent was planned on being set up is now a field of sticky clay mud. I wonder just how this event is going to be (if I get off at 8, I can go to the ice rink for league drop-in!)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Tropical Storm Fay

She's been named. I hope she breaks up as she crosses over Cuba because we're in the 5-day forecast cone. Lots of variation. We'll know more in the next couple of days.

I need to get a copy of the telephone tree and bring in home. Should have done it today--Monday...it's on my to-do list.

EDIT: I just looked at another set of forecast threads. I don't like the looks of this. Three models put the damn thing just to the right us. I know, it's early.

Last edited:

Richmond Jake

The tract for Fay is a little bit left this morning and coming up the left coast. Damn it! I can't leave the county. If it gets close, ZG and her son will go and I'll have a house full of "guests."

And it's raining this morning. If it doesn't clear, I won't be able to enjoy (nude :-$ ) pool time. Freaking summer Florida weather.... :-{

Queen B

Cyburbian
RJ & ZG it sure does look like it is predicted to come your way.:-c:-c

Our thoughts will be with you stay safe.

The weather here is very cool. They thought the rain would be here all weekend but it hasn't got here yet so we just get to enjoy such cool weather in Aug. Usually everything is burned to a crisp by now. We are actually going to have tomorrow this weekend.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I forget-- is it better to have it on the left or right of you?

Richmond Jake

I forget-- is it better to have it on the left or right of you?
In the northern hemisphere, especially the Gulf, it's best to be on the western side (left) of the storm. The last forecast shifted Fay to the east. But we're still in the cone. Let's hope it breaks up a bit when it passes over Cuba.

If any of you folks in the Big Bend, Tallahassee, or anywhere else need to evac, send me a PM and I'll give you our address. You can bunk here. We're not in an evac zone. I can't leave because I'll have to go to the EOC, if necessary. We have a generator courtesy of the ZG. The propane tank is full so lights and AC will be running. You'll need to bring a cot and bed roll since you won't want to sleep on the damn white tile floor!! Oh, and if you come, bring beer, wine, and water.

We're serious about this offer.

zman

Cyburbian
Watched a handful of small tornadoes haunt my parent's part of the state yesterday :-c. So close to Denver that the TV helicopters were out to film it all.

We were safe up here in the north country, nice warm and sunny weather this past weekend.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Here in Illinois it has been raining non-stop all weekend long. On Saturday, September 13, nearly 7 inches of rain fell at O'Hare Airport, breaking the all-time record amount of rainfall for a single day. Anywhere from 4 to 10 inches has fallen over much of the Chicago area this weekend. Funny thing is that only about 2 of the inches were from Hurricane Ike, which is moving quite fast. The majority of rainfall fell Friday night into Saturday, ahead of Ike, in a completely different system. In August, with the grass turning brown, I thought we were headed for a drought. Not anymore.

Richmond Jake

Is fall here?....

The last couple of evenings, we've been able to open the windows before we jumped in the sack. Lows in the lower 70s in the morning. Very nice to have the fresh air entering the house. We still have the afternoon thundershowers But that's ok.

Richmond Jake

The cooler evening and morning temperatures continue. 9:00 here and we already have the windows open. Clear skies during the day and this weather is forecast to last through the weekend. Life is good on the panhandle. :h:

ZG is re-programming the pool solar thingy as the water temp has dipped to 82 degrees.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The cooler evening and morning temperatures continue. 9:00 here and we already have the windows open. Clear skies during the day and this weather is forecast to last through the weekend. Life is good on the panhandle. :h:

ZG is re-programming the pool solar thingy as the water temp has dipped to 82 degrees.

Yeah, but I still logged 3.5 hrs tanning by the pool today. Yay! :-D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sunny Daze

Something I have noticed about NW Ohio here in this Year 2008.....we have had a significant number of clear and sunny days. It appears to be more sunny daze than normal. We had significant rain in June and very little since then.

Not unusual to have a long dry spell but usually those dry periods are accompanied by cloudy skies about half of the time (in the warmer weather months). Not too many cloudy daze hereabouts in 08 Sum-sum-summertime.

It was noticed because I am always thinking about taking some pics of the metro, for all my Cyburbian pals (and the rest of you who pretend not to know me). ;)

Bear

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, we in Maine were about to get a bona-fide hurricane yesterday - a weather reporter's wet dream, given fall is usually boring in the weather department here in northern Maine - but alas, it was downgraded to a tropical storm - my little island caught a lot of rain but not so much wind - slight surge on the pier but the bay looked like nothing happened this morning, calm as can be -

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hah...we got three solid days of rain here. Yesterday was the worst of it and of course the massive downpour came while I was in the movie theater. My date and I said what the heck and strolled through the rain to the car. Got drenched, but it was fun.

Gotta Speakup

Cyburbian
In the Boston area, we didn't have much wind, just rain, lots of rain, it rained all weekend, and before and after the weekend.

But the storm was no where near like the no name storm that is described in "The perfect storm"

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
what's weird about a hurricane here, as opposed to a Northeasta', is that it's unseasonably warm, but it's clammy because there is cold air trying to get through (hence the recipe for a perfect storm, as it were, but it didn't take hold, took a right instead...)

woops - I posted in the weather thread, sorry - didn't see this -

nope, it a lot of hub-bub for nothing - the weather reporters were beside themselves with glee until it died out to the right of us -

a good noreaster is what really shakes the place up with storm surges and the like -

we did get a lot of rain, but little wind, no surf - some flooding but no worse than any other fall storm - it was warm though, which was weird for this time of year but nice to turn off the pellet stove for a few days - :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Front Arrives

September in NW Ohio has been unseasonably warm. Even toward the end of the month the temperatures hovered near the 80F mark, about 10 degress above normal. But that is all about to change as the first real cold front moves through the area. It started raining about an hour ago and the temperature started to fall.....probably about 10 degrees in a short period of time.

Temperatures for the balance of the week are predicted to be about 10 degrees below normal. Normal at this time of the year for the northwestern corner of Ohio is about 69F/70F.

Today: Shorts and a tee-shirt. Tomorrow: Sweats.

:)

Bear

Richmond Jake

Fall is coming to the panhandle...

Temperatures forecast in the mid- to upper-50s tomorrow morning. Daytime highs still in the 80's though. Looks good for weekend poolside activities. :h:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It's been 51 F on the house all day today. I was ready to turn on the furnance but did not. Luckily working from home, i get to wear sweats all day.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the NWS for my fair city -

Average date of first 32 degree temperatures - Nov 1.

Earliest measurable snowfall - Oct. 19

Median date of first measurable snowfall - Dec. 4

Average snowfall - 14.2 inches

Richmond Jake

Flash flood watch here on the panhandle from now until Wednesday evening.
Actually, we need the rain.