• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Wow, just saw my first tornado! (Saw a waterspout on a trip to the FL Keys when I was 11).

I was driving my son to school, it had been raining pretty hard but was just clearing up, and he pointed out a funnel cloud coming down directly in front of us, several miles away, so we got to see it form, all the way to the ground. Then it moved northeast fairly quickly and our view was blocked by some trees, so we pulled into the school parking lot and waited. We got a better view in a couple minutes and could see maybe the top half swirling upward.

Apparently it touched down over on the beachside, moved across one of our bays, and came ashore here in town, where there is some damage.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We had our first frost this past week. It was finally time to take out the window AC units, hang the storm windows, and put plastic sheeting on these old windows.

This weekend I have to go up and winterize the camper. :r:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Above Normal

The forecast for NW Ohio this weekend.....sunny skies and temperatures approaching the 80F range. Way above normal.

No excuse for this Bear to get outside and get some chores done, before the cold winds of a Great Lakes' winter blow into my somewhat messy back yard.

Bear

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Yesterday's waterspout in our county.

Waterspout_10-8-08.jpg

Waterspout_2_10-8-08.jpg

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Summer In October

Call it "Indian Summer", if you wish. I call it "warm".

Over the weekend in NW Ohio the temperatures reached record levels. 84F on Saturday, low 80F range on Sunday, continued way above normal temps on Monday. It has been about 20 degrees above normal.

As this week bounces along the daily high temperatures will drop a bit each day. By next weekend the temps will be slightly below normal.....much more "fall-like".

In the area the parks were full (beautiful fall colors are at the beginning of their annual show), the golf courses had long waiting lists, boaters enjoyed a last chance for recreation (except fishing, which lasts much longer into the season), folks everywhere were working in yards, etc. 25 miles southwest of Toledo is the Maumee River town of Grand Rapids. Their annual "Applebutter Fest" drew huge crowds.....estimated at more than 50,000.

Summer in October in NW Ohio. That unseasonable weather will soon be followed by the occasional Halloween snow flurries, the infamous "gales of November" (though not nearly as threatening as on the upper Great Lakes), and the usual 3-4 months of snow on the sidewalks, ice on the windshields, and cold "bundle-up" weather.

Bear

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We have a chance of snow on Sunday! Of course, its too early to stick much less accumulate, but I'm really looking forward to winter for somw reason.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Cold front has arrived! Yesterday was 80, today will be upper 50's, and it might rain tonight and/or tomorrow.

While we need the rain, I wish the temperature change was more gradual.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Forecast calls for freezing temperatures possible sunday night through tuesday night.
....may experience a hard or killing freeze late Tuesday night.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Snow Flurries

Our NW Ohio forecast also has a strong cold front moving in. Hey, JNA, you'all want some snow flurries? Those are in our forecast for Sunday night and Monday. Gonna be a bit below normal around these here parts. Very high winds predicted later today as the front moves through.

There was a Winter Storm Watch posted for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan but I think that has been downgraded to snow showers. The Keweenaw Peninsula in the YooPee sticks out into Lake Superior.....cold weather from Canada moves across Lake Superior (where the water is probably in the upper 40s or low 50s) and crashes into the high elevations of the Keweenaw Fault. That bump creates heavy snow conditions.

Snow shovel season in Eagle Harbor (on the Keweenaw) is just weeks (maybe days) away. Snow shovel season is still more than a month away for those of us who wander around in the southern Great Lakes.

Bear

Richmond Jake

We were on the beach yesterday. :h: :-D
A few hearty souls were swimming in the Gulf but it was too cool for us.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After having several pleasant October weekends this month, this weekend really reminded us that winter is just around the corner. A cold front roared through DeKalb this afternoon, with wind gusts over 50 MPH. A freeze warning is in effect tonight, with a chance of flurries tonight and tomorrow. Tomorrow, the high is only expected to be 40, with a low of 25 tomorrow night. Brr. It's in the upper 30s right now...had to bust out the Carhartt jacket when I went out this evening.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
First (unaccummulated) snow was yesterday. Tonight is suppossed to be the first freeze. We also had very high winds.

Richmond Jake

Freeze warning in effect for the Florida panhandle tonight and tomorrow morning. Where the hell did fall go? :-@ :-{

Heat pump switched from A/C to heat....and that ends pool season. Way too early.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Freeze warning in effect for the Florida panhandle tonight and tomorrow morning. Where the hell did fall go? :-@ :-{

Heat pump switched from A/C to heat....and that ends pool season. Way too early.

We had snow today which was sticking for a bit. It was too damn cold though. :-{

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian

Don't give up yet! I have a pic of you asleep by the pool in 80-d mid-Nov last year.

zman

Cyburbian
First snow of the season!

Woke to a light dusting of snow this morning... now giving way to full sunlight and it is melting off.

Temps in the 30s for a high though!! :-D

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We had our first snow shower yesterday and by early evening, a light dusting of snow accumulated on the cars in my townhome complex parking lot. Chicago-O'Hare also recorded its first measurable snow of the year...0.1 inches.

Just a half hour ago, I went out to do a quick errand, and a quick snow shower must have moved through, as there was a dusting of snow that accumulated on the grass, the roofs, the trees, etc. Didn't stick to the pavement though.

Temps in the thirties and forties all this week. Winter has made an early arrival.

While I'm getting all excited about a dusting of snow, I hear that places like Erie, Cleveland, and Michigan City are in for anywhere from 3 to 5 to 10 inches of lake effect snow today and tomorrow.

zman

Cyburbian
First snow of the season!

Woke to a light dusting of snow this morning... now giving way to full sunlight and it is melting off.

Temps in the 30s for a high though!! :-D

This was last week. Now we're in the high 60s with tomorrow being in the mid 70s!

Asthey always say about Colorado; if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
As they always say about Colorado; if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes.

This is a phrase that is common to many places. Oft-said around the Great Lakes.
_____

NW Ohio has enjoyed some snow showers, but nothing sticking to the surfaces of the streets and sidewalks. Couple more weeks of below-average temperatures and those surfaces will hold the white stuff. We have been about 15-degrees-F below normal for the last few days and that trend is going to continue for at least another week.

My SIL lives in the far eastern suburbs of Cleveland. Last I heard, they were expecting some heavy "lake-effect" snow. She is about a mile from Lake Erie. When she gets 8" of snow just south of her they get 16". There is an elevation called "The Chardon Ridge" that enjoys heavy lake effect snow. The moist air crosses still ice-free Lake Erie and crashes into the ridge, releasing tons of snow.

Toledo hardly ever gets lake-effect snow, because of our position at the southwestern corner of Lake Erie. Our temps are very-much affected by the lake, though. In the autumn months the warmer lake water keeps the temperatures of the communities by the lake (including most of Toledo) much warmer. The opposite occurs in the spring, when the lake is very cold.

One day last week the temperature in the Point Place neighborhood of Toledo (on the lake) was near 60F. Just 35 miles away, inland, the temperature was 40F.

Bear

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We had first real snow of the season today, mostly in the western burbs away from Lake Michigan. As always, idiots forget how to drive in snow and there are accidents everywhere.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
It snowed briefly today in Chicago but started and stopped all while I was on the bus to school. Probably only lasted 10-20 minutes although there was a dusting on cars. Tonight is just plain cold especially with the wind.

JNL

Cyburbian
It's spring here and I am getting soooooo sick of gale force winds nearly every day! Regularly gusting over 100km/h, sometimes up to 150km/h. I always have to tie my hair back, forget about taking an umbrella if it's raining (it will just turn inside out), and don't even think about wearing a full skirt! I have on occasion had to cling to a pole outside work to avoid being blown into the road while waiting to cross. :-{

zman

Cyburbian
Today we have a high of 80 degrees (in fall? in Colorado?) Yes, it is true... :r::-@

Thursday will be 35 for a high with a freezing icy fog expected.

Ma Nature would do wise to make up her mind already. I'm hoping that Thankgiving is cold. :-|

boiker

Cyburbian
Experiencing very above average temps in PHX lately. Yesterday was a record and today could be the same (86-87 degrees). It is very comfortable weather, but 10-12 degrees warmer than it should be this time of year. Also, we are in a period of extremely dry weather. No more than a trace of rain has fallen in nearly 75 days. Based on what the locals tell me, this is unsual in that spring is usually the really dry season.

zman

Cyburbian
We've been dry here in CO too. We did get a little snow last week, but nearly made it to the latest first snow mark of November 21.
When I was a kid, there'd be snow in September and surely in October. Out here on the High Plains, we've had nothing for the past... well, I cannot remember when we had substantial moisture.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We had a very dry summer and fall, at least until recently. However, we started the year incredibly wet so that we were something like 9" above normal at the start of summer. Even with the drought, we remain 1.5" above normal. Weird.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was 70 on Sunday and rained like crazy. It's now very cold and windy which makes your eyes water when you are outside walking about. My lips are chapped and my nose has windburn :-{

Richmond Jake

Unseasonably cold here on the panhandle. Tomorrow morning's low is forecast to be 29 F with a high of 57 F. Time to put another blanket on the bed.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wimp With Slippers

Unseasonably cold here on the panhandle. Tomorrow morning's low is forecast to be 29 F with a high of 57 F. Time to put another blanket on the bed.

Wimp. ;)

Sunday morning in Toledo brought a crispy 12F degrees.....almost 20-degrees below the normal low for this date. Just to the northwest, Adrian MI, had a Wolverine-chilling 9F.

Saturday morning temps in the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan.....away from the moderating influence of the lakes.....brought temps at the minus-10F range.

Prediction: 2nd week of December will bring temps to near record highs all through the Great Lakes. :)

Bear Not A Wimp

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
last night the power went out and is still out on my side of the island, other parts of the island had it restored

lots of downed trees - the wind really did sound like a freight train and I thought I heard voices in the wind - my 15 yo crawled into bed with our 4 yo and I think they were both scared, 9 yo slept right through it - it was a freaky sound for sure

I didn't get much sleep because the 4 yo insists on having candles in his room when the power goes out and I get nervous and check on it and finally blow it out once I know he's completely out to sleep, though I put in votives in over sized glass on a high dresser he can't easily reach and then I do the same in the bathroom, putting it in the sink to remind them not to use water or flush (as if that works, not)

no shower so I feel yucky and I haven't had nearly enough coffee - 2 things I miss the most when the power goes out

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The first major snowfall of the year has arrived in Northern Illinois and will continue through tomorrow morning. Of course it has to occur on one of the busiest travel days of the year. Also of note is that over the last couple of years, it seems the first major snow has occurred around Dec. 1. We are under a winter storm warning, where 4 to 8 inches of snow is expected. Slightly less is expected in Chicago proper and slightly more is expected in Milwaukee. Also, a strong north wind is expected to pick up, making for hazardous travel conditions. As a result, I have decided to delay going back to school until tomorrow sometime (this combined with a horrible case of bronchitis). I wonder if school might be canceled. I'm not counting on it though.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I went about my business, checked in at the office, shoveled, finished putting up decorations and grilling pork loins in a light to moderate snow. Big deal . . . .

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Forecast is
Monday - Snow likely in the morning...then a chance of snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation less than an inch.
so that means nothing or worse. :r:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Monday-after-Turkey Day weather in NW Ohio......dreary. Temps are in the low 30F range and a mixture of rain, sleet and snow is tumbling to the cold ground. Later today the front moves through and temps will fall, probably resulting in a mild dusting of the white stuff. It will be below-average temps for the next week or so.

My friends live on Houghton Lake, in the northern part of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. That part of the mitten is getting about a foot of snow. On the weather map it sure looks like some regular Cyburbians in western Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin are all going to get some sig snow.

Here comes winter.

Bear

btrage

Cyburbian
I haven't seen anything official but I'd guess we have about 5 or so inches here in Grand Rapids proper.

I hate snow. I hate snow. I hate snow.

Except when I go sledding with my kids. And when I throw snowballs at my dog and he attacks them. But I could do withouth those things if it meant no snow.

No snow. No snow. No snow.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, the storm is mostly finished (still a few lingering snow showers every now and then), and most of us here in the far suburbs of Chicago got about 4 inches or so. Not too bad, but what makes it really hazardous is a) all the people who forget how to drive in the snow, b) the wind and open areas which make for constant drifting, c) when the plows and salt trucks don't do their job in a timely fashion, and d) all the morons who don't completely brush off their vehicles (i.e., the top of the car or SUV) before driving. Most of the urban areas are fine, but when you're driving wide open country roads back to school and the wind is blowing the snow at 20 mph, it makes for a hazardous trek. With the exception of driving in it though, I like the snow. :)

Bubba

Cyburbian
Snow flurries in metro Atlanta on December 1...maybe it's time to move south.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Even here in lake-effect snow country, the very mention of a winter storm keeps the wimps home and off the streets. So last night I got to try out the maligned "not good in snow" capabilities of my new (to me) four-wheeler (PT Cruiser). It wasn't bad, not at all like driving a bald-tired Beetle.

Took myself out to dinner, and read the Sunday paper adverts. Then hit a few places to pick up some specials. At one crafts store (open until 9) I was the only customer. At another place there were five shoppers. The heck with Black Friday, give me White Sunday.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Another round of 3-4 inches of the white stuff is in store for Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin this afternoon and tonight. The snow began around 1pm here in DeKalb. Of course, it will be just in time for the evening rush in Chicagoland.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Of course, it will be just in time for the evening rush in Chicagoland.
Yeah, my 3-5 minute drive home may increase to 4-6 minutes. ;)

If I had walked to work today, it still would have been the normal 15 minutes leisurely stroll home.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
[OT]
Yeah, my 3-5 minute drive home may increase to 4-6 minutes. ;)

If I had walked to work today, it still would have been the normal 15 minutes leisurely stroll home.

Lucky you. I take it you finally moved into that house closer to work.

When I'm back at home working during my summer and winter breaks, my commute is usually 10 mintues and increases to as much as 20 minutes in bad weather or bad traffic.[/OT]

btrage

Cyburbian
I haven't seen anything official but I'd guess we have about 5 or so inches here in Grand Rapids proper.

I hate snow. I hate snow. I hate snow.

Except when I go sledding with my kids. And when I throw snowballs at my dog and he attacks them. But I could do withouth those things if it meant no snow.

No snow. No snow. No snow.

I'll add the following as reasons I like snow:

Shoveling is a decent early morning workout.
We occasionally get out of work early due to snow.

So I'm now up to 4 reasons why I like snow. Hmmmm.....maybe I do like the snow. :-c

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
A Cold November & Early December

Temperatures in NW Ohio over the last six weeks have been, almost every day, well below normal. It has felt like mid-Winter, even though the Winter Solstice is a couple weeks away. We had a little bit of snow.....nothing compared to some other places in the Great Lakes. Expecting a minor dusting again tonight.

Finally, on Tuesday the temps are expected to be above normal. For one day, with rain attached. By Tuesday evening the temps will again drop and the rain will change to snow.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Weather-wise, today was a very crappy day. It started off with a cold hard rain when I went to class this morning. By the time I went to my afternoon class, it had changed over to sleet and snow with a very brisk wind. And by sunset, it had changed over to all snow. The storm has ended and we got about 3 inches of new snow here tonight. It made for treacherous driving tonight when me and my friends went out, but luckily my car handles pretty well in the snow.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Wacky winter weather

My mom called me today to tell me it is snowing in south Louisiana. Snow is falling and sticking to the ground. The electricity is barely running. Her cable is out. The furnace isn't running. She is okay, though. Just bundled up more. Couldn't tell if the phone was woriking poorly or if it was her hearing aid. She couldn't hear me toward the end of the conversation.

Here in Montana it is in the upper forties and sunny. Last week's snowstorm is a memory and only a few patches of snow remain in town.

It is a great, big goofy world.