• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
Heard on the Weather Channel that Baton Rouge got 3" of snow yesterday and is supposed to be 72 degrees on Sunday.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
BAD ice storm here last night, with tons of tree branches down everywhere. We lost power during the night, and it wasn't restored until around noon.

Outside it's like winter wonderland with ice-encrusted branches. Pretty but dangerous... they're telling people to avoid unnecessary travel.

Hope I can get my Secret Santa gift out in the mail tomorrow!

Veloise

Cyburbian
Supposed to get up to the 40s here on Sunday. Rain in the afternoon, perfect for the event listed in my sigline.

I've picked up a shingle & gutter heater cable which I hope to get up in place during the thaw.

Oh the irony: "Who left the door open? Are you trying to heat up the whole outdoors?!?" And here I'll be installing a device to do exactly that.

zman

Cyburbian
Woke up yesterday at the family cabin to see the mountains socked in with snow and a huge wall of clouds moving across the valley to us. A check of the weather forecast stated that we were in store for 2 feet of snow and a high temp of -4. So the wife and I packed the dogs and headed back as Kenosha Pass on US 285 is notorious for getting closed in the snow.
We beat the snow in the moutains and have a nice blanket of white here on the High Plains. Looks like my activities planned will have to wait. ;-)

Except I will have to shovel the driveway and sidewalks before someone drives/walks on the snow. God help them if they do. ;-) :6:

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It's been raining all day here, so we don't have much snow left ... only the much shrunken piles in parking lots. Now, it's supposed to get colder and we'll have flurries by tomorrow I guess.

zman

Cyburbian
I thought of you this morning NHP on my rare driving commute to a meeting about 30 miles away. Listening to NPR report on you in New Hampshire and looking at the bitter cold temps here.

Here in No. Colorado, I watched the car dashboard thermometer go from 15f (garage) to -15f on my drive this morning. Considering my Honda was a lease reutrn originally bought and driven in Florida, there is a good chance that I was witness to its coldest temperture experienced thus far. Kind of nerdy, but I thought it was neat.

BTW, the temp at 1pm warmed up to a balmy 0f.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Anyone know if there is power on in north-central Massachusetts today? I was supposed to hear from someone in that area and I suspect the weather may have been a factor.

Update: Never mind; I did a little sleuthing and found out that much of the area is still without power.

Last edited:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We're supposed to have highs in the 70's all week :-o; and I just bought a set of flannel sheets that we won't be using for awhile...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been sleeting and snowing for better part of the day. R.T.'s "Winter Concert" was this evening and the director made a joke about it, "We ordered up some winter especially for the concert!" Supposed to continue overnight but there isn't much sticking to the roads so it shouldn't be too bad.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Got a light dusting of about 4 to 6 inches across Chicagoland this evening, the heaviest of which fell during the evening commute. As usual, people still do not know how to drive in it. Just because it's snowing doesn't mean you have to go 15 miles under the speed limit. :r: Must be a lot of people with new cars who don't know how to drive them or a lot of folks moving here from out of state...I don't know. Still, my commute wasn't actually that bad...only a couple minutes longer. But I heard there were 3 hour+ delays on the expressways and tollways.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
^I saw something about four hour delays out in Romeoville or Lockport from an NWS report on weather.com. I wonder if the plows will come out this time. I think the last few snowfalls they skipped all the side streets in Chicago. Looks nice from inside though...

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
last night was the second "Winter Storm Watch" we had with no real storm action. it snowed about an inch last night, it was raining when i got to work, it is supposed to warm up slightly and then all freeze.

we'll see what actually happens.

Veloise

Cyburbian
My brother is heading to the mitten from Houston, leaving Thursday morning. Supposed to be 70 there (clear and dry, presumably).

Meanwhile, at the area of our parental residence (affected by the recent Detroit newspaper announcement), there's a dire winter storm coming up on Friday.

He's a newly-minted AARPie, surely he'll remember his driver training here.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
If tomorrow is as nice as today was, I'll be tanning out by the pool. Aaaaahhhhhh....:-D

(Unfortunately, I had errands to run this afternoon, or I'd have been out there today...)

southsideamy

Cyburbian
New this mroning -- as much as a foot of snow on Chicagoland tonight. On top of the 4" we had on Tuesday. Holy smokes!

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Third straight day of not seeing the sun, rain & fog last night and today. I'm already depressed. Watched two accidents happen this morning, both involving late left turn in front of a light runner on wet streets. The last one just missed me. Shoulda stayed in bed.

zman

Cyburbian
^^ Speaking of Buffalo, the high on Sunday will be 13F in Denver where my wife and I will sitting high in the stands for the Broncos/Bills game.

Why oh why do i always pick the coldest Broncos games to attend.

btrage

Cyburbian
^^ Speaking of Buffalo, the high on Sunday will be 13F in Denver where my wife and I will sitting high in the stands for the Broncos/Bills game.

Why oh why do i always pick the coldest Broncos games to attend.

Beaing a Lions fan, I've never attended an outdoor NFL game thanks to the Silverdome and Ford Field.

Winter Storm Warning here in West Michigan. We've already been put on notice by Teh Man that the office may be closed tomorrow.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Third straight day of not seeing the sun, rain & fog last night and today. I'm already depressed. Watched two accidents happen this morning, both involving late left turn in front of a light runner on wet streets. The last one just missed me. Shoulda stayed in bed.

Happened to me this morning, too. What is with these people?? Where did they learn to drive - Houston?*

*I used to live in Houston. I think most people there drive to maim and kill.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I love the snow and am excited about the prospects of getting 6" - 10" tonight... Mrs. WSU MUP Student not so much.

I tried to tell her that snow is great for the small business owner in the removal industry who would otherwise be idle. She was not swayed in her opinion of the white stuff. :p

zman

Cyburbian
Just started snowing here. This was not forecast as the news out of Denver said "Better weather until the weekend". I wonder why I even watch the TV weather anymore... :r:

But I am excited about the snow!

Queen B

Cyburbian
We have snow on the ground. They miss the call on this one. They said one inch. Wegot 5.
They called for freezing rain starting at 8am. It rained a bit this afternoon but the radar looks like it is past us. It could be an interesting drive home.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Calling for 6 to 8 inches here... not worried about it, but my parents are going to spend 6 to 8 hours driving to spend christmas with their first Grandchild. :-c

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
8-14" of the white stuff is forecast for the northern suburbs of Chicago tonight & tomorrow morning. I'll report back tomorrow night on actual snowfall totals.

btrage

Cyburbian
My government office is closed today. And my daughter's charter school is closed. Home today with the girls while the wifey is at work.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Today:

snowbike.jpg

Several months back:

yardbik2.jpg

(it's the same size as one that rides)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just found out that today's storm does not qualify for blizzard status because we did not have 3 hours of frequent wind gusts at/above 35 mph and visibility under 0.25 miles.

So back to work it is!

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Whiteout conditions here in Albany, an inch an hour they say. Likely snow emergency which means even/odd on-street parking restrictions. Good thing I parked in front 358 Hudson.

btrage

Cyburbian
1st round of shoveling: The Sidewalk - 30 minutes
2nd round of shoveling: 1/2 the driveway - 45 minutes

I am currently enjoying a beverage and will soon embark on round 3.

As much as I feel like a tool for using a hand shovel while all my neighbors use they snow blowers, I am definitely getting a workout!

Can't wait to knock back a few tonight in celebration! :-D

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
It's snowing hard here, and the only time I've been outside all day was to re-fill our the bird feeders. Poor little birdies...

Now why is it, when the weather outside is frightful, I have this inexplicable craving for take-out sushi, or Chinese food? I sure as heck don't want anyone to deliver food on a night like this, and I know my significant other isn't going to pick up dinner. :(

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mild Ice Storm

Friday, 12-19-08. 2:00 AM, snow started falling, mixed with freezing rain. Winter Storm Warning for Toledo (Lucas County) and counties east. Ice Storm Warning for counties west.

I drove in to the office at 5:00 AM. Wasn't too bad.....a slow drive, a bit icy....but not the one-inch of ice they were predicting. The day bounced between rain, snow, sleet, and freezing rain. Driving home provided some beautiful scenes.....just enough ice on the trees to make them glisten (insert holiday song) but not enough to make them bend, creak, snap, and fall.

We did not lose power. We did lose our cable. Oh well.....a million channels and nothing on.

Looks like it will be a white Christmas. More snow expected on Sunday, followed by rapidly falling temperatures. Next week is going to be very cold.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The snow began around 10pm last night. I awoke to lightning and thundersnow, which produced large heavy bursts of snow this morning. Sleet was also mixed in at times throughout the course of the storm. The snow finally ended by around 10am this morning. When all was said and done, we got about 7 inches. We would have gotten more if it weren't for the sleet mixing in and the precip evaporating before reaching the ground at the onset of the storm. Nearly every public and private school in Chicagoland (except for Chicago Public Schools and some others) was closed for the day. But the village hall where I work was up and running today. Took me twice as long to get to work this morning cause the roads were so bad. Looks like we'll have a white Christmas for sure.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
High in the mid-70s here on the Florida panhandle. Ceiling fans are on to cool us off.
Forecast is for more of the same tomorrow. I think it'll be a shorts day. :h:

btrage

Cyburbian
10.2 inches in Grand Rapids yesterday, on top of the few inches that were already on the ground.

Another system blowing in tonight with accumulations in West Michigan ranging from 4-12 inches through Monday. :-c

I believe the Grand Rapid area is setting records for snowfall amounts in the month of December. :r:

Veloise

Cyburbian
My brother says he left Houston on Thursday AM at 78 degrees. Says he caught the weather channel at a truckstop, and only then realized what he was headed into.
The little straws that deliver wiper juice to his windshield are frozen with Texas-grade fluid. I handed him a jug of west Michigan Meijer brand to top off, plus a half-quart of isopropyl alcohol.
Today I introduced him to Habitat's ReStore, a home improvement thrift. Brought home three doors that will fit my old house, spent less than $100 on them.
Need to shoot a photo of my driveway with the 24" snowbanks and his Texas-tagged cute ute.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
An arctic cold front is blasting its way across Northern Illinois this evening. Tonight, we got about 2 inches of fresh new snow on top of the 10 inches of snow already on the ground from the past two storms. The cold front is expected to send temperatures plunging to below zero and bring nasty west winds of 20 to 30 mph, creating blowing snow and potential blizzard-like conditions. The mercury isn't supposed to get above 10 until Tuesday. The front should be here any minute.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Baby, It's Cold Outside

That same arctic front that blasted through "The Land Of Obama" (as explained by illinoisplanner) is now roaring through NW Ohio. Tens of thousands of people are without power......strong winds (50+ mph gusts) and tree limbs and power lines already encrusted with ice from the Friday storm. Crossing my aging fingers that we keep power.

Our cable finally was restored, middle of the night. We went without cable for more than 24 hours. Oh the humanity!

(Millions of people in the world are starving, freezing, dying.....and I ramble about having no cable. :-$)

Wind chills are expected to be in the -20 range for the next day or so. Baby, it's cold outside!
_____

Mentioned this before.....will mention again.....one year I was up in Paradise, MI, in the beautiful Upper Peninsula. It was a President's Day Weekend in the states and we were enjoying a 4-day drinking vacation in Yooperland. On our way up we stopped for petrol in Grayling (about 2/3rds of the way up the Lower Peninsula). As I was pumping the gas the temperature was -17. Brrrrr.....

The next morning, in Paradise, the temperature was an actual -39. That remains one of the coldest weekends ever in the charted weather history of the Upper Peninsula......and I was there. :-c

There was absolutely no wind.....so today's -20 (with that strong wind) will seem colder to me than that weekend in Paradise. BTW.....we spent a lot of time outside during that long-ago weekend.....hiking, visiting a frozen waterfall, walking on frozen Lake Superior.

Bottom-line.....my personal record for coldest "actual" temperature is -39. What's your's?

My personal record for coldest wind-chill-adjusted temperature is -75......Christmas Day back in the 1970s. It was bitter and we were at a party at my brother's farm house. Thought I was gonna die in the walk between the vehicles and the house.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
On this beautiful Sunday morning, the temperature is -8F and the wind chill is -36F and we are under a blizzard warning. I couldn't tell you the last time my area was under a blizzard warning.

As far as Bear's question regarding the lowest air temperatures I've ever experienced (excluding wind chill readings), I'd have to say probably the upper -20s or lower -30s, back on January 5, 1999 when Illinois' all-time low temperature of -36 was recorded. I remember that being the only time my school closed because of cold temps.

zman

Cyburbian
Currently looking at beautiful clear blue Colorado skies. Sunny with no clouds.

Sounds good, no?

Well, step outside and you'll find that the air is about 8 degrees and the northern winds are kicked up to about 20mph.

I had to work in the garage and the yard yesterday and come back inside frozen to the core.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Bottom-line.....my personal record for coldest "actual" temperature is -39. What's your's?
Bear

Not sure, but the antifreeze in my truck tested to -35 and when it started, the fan belt spun off because there was slush in the water pump.

TOFB

Cyburbian
That same arctic front that blasted through "The Land Of Obama" (as explained by illinoisplanner) is now roaring through NW Ohio. Tens of thousands of people are without power......strong winds (50+ mph gusts) and tree limbs and power lines already encrusted with ice from the Friday storm. Crossing my aging fingers that we keep power.

Our cable finally was restored, middle of the night. We went without cable for more than 24 hours. Oh the humanity!

(Millions of people in the world are starving, freezing, dying.....and I ramble about having no cable. :-$)

Wind chills are expected to be in the -20 range for the next day or so. Baby, it's cold outside!
_____

Mentioned this before.....will mention again.....one year I was up in Paradise, MI, in the beautiful Upper Peninsula. It was a President's Day Weekend in the states and we were enjoying a 4-day drinking vacation in Yooperland. On our way up we stopped for petrol in Grayling (about 2/3rds of the way up the Lower Peninsula). As I was pumping the gas the temperature was -17. Brrrrr.....

The next morning, in Paradise, the temperature was an actual -39. That remains one of the coldest weekends ever in the charted weather history of the Upper Peninsula......and I was there. :-c

There was absolutely no wind.....so today's -20 (with that strong wind) will seem colder to me than that weekend in Paradise. BTW.....we spent a lot of time outside during that long-ago weekend.....hiking, visiting a frozen waterfall, walking on frozen Lake Superior.

My personal record for coldest wind-chill-adjusted temperature is -75......Christmas Day back in the 1970s. It was bitter and we were at a party at my brother's farm house. Thought I was gonna die in the walk between the vehicles and the house.

Bear

Coldest real air: -32 Green Bay, Wisc

Coldest Wind Chill: -70 Ames, Iowa. I skipped Mid Term, which I flunked.

Today (2 pm), a mere -4/-30