• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Coldest real air: -26 Des Moines, IA
Coldest Wind Chill: -77 Des Moines, IA
Current: 29/19 Dallas, TX

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We had -35 wind chills and white out conditions today. My 1885 house is a friggin wind tunnel. I'm dressed in layers and have the thermostat at 70 and I'm still cold.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Coldest I recall was -28F about 15 years ago. Back in college, I remember a weekend that was bitter bone chilling cold. In those pre-internet, pre-weather channel days, I don't recall the actual temps. Besides, I had plans that didn't involve being outside that weekend, if you get my drift.:-D

boiker

Cyburbian
Coldest real air: -26 Des Moines, IA
Coldest Wind Chill: -77 Des Moines, IA
Current: 29/19 Dallas, TX

The NWS changed the Wind Chill calculation a couple years back. That -77 is now -30 or thereabouts. At least it will make my story to my kids about the cold "legitamite".

-20?! and you're cold!? Why, back in my day the winters got down to -50 and that was on a good day :)

Illinois Planner said:
As far as Bear's question regarding the lowest air temperatures I've ever experienced (excluding wind chill readings), I'd have to say probably the upper -20s or lower -30s, back on January 5, 1999 when Illinois' all-time low temperature of -36 was recorded. I remember that being the only time my school closed because of cold temps.

I was at NIU during that spell. They DIDN'T cancel classes. Ok, they canceled classes in the afternoon. By then it had warmed up to -15. I went outside at 3AM or 4AM just to experience the cold. It was indescribable.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Here in Central Indiana it has been a COLD 36 hours. At 12AM Sunday, we were at a balmy 31 degrees. By 8am yesterday morning we were down to 9, with a wind chill in the low -20's. 6pm last night it was 2 with a wind chill approaching -30. This morning it was 1 and a wind chill in the -10's. Today it is supposed to be in the teens for highs.

As for the coldest air temperature I have experienced was in January of 2006, my first semester of grad school in Minnesota. It was quite a shock to someone who had moved from SC only 3 weeks before! :-c

Mankato, MN: Air Temp, -25
Wind Chill, -39

Veloise

Cyburbian
That classic "it's snowing" e-mail

Found this on a medical website, and many nouns auto-linked to amusing results (I'll leave one in towards the end).

December 8
First snow of the season and the wife and I sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystalCrystal b-12 white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14
Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life!

The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way.

December 15
20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer.

The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like &^#$. The wife laughed for one hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
Still below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere.

Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death.

December 20
Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the &^%* stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Darn snowplow came by twice.

Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy sledding. I think they're lying. Called the hardware stores around to see about buying a snow blower and they're all out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white **** fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to poop. By the time I got undressed, pooped and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the jerk is lying.

December 23
Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What, is she nuts!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago?! She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24
6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the man who drives that snowplow I'll drag him through the snow by his nose and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been!

Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the snowplow.

December 25
Merry *&#^$#@ Christmas! 20 more inches of the slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's a fricking idiot. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26
Still snowed in. Why the heck did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27
TemperatureTemperature measurement dropped to -30 and the pipes froze, plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $2400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28
Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. THE WITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30
Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver. He is now suing me for a million dollars for not only the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken
snow shovel up where the sun
Actinic keratosis
Fontanelles - sunken
Liver spots
Sun protection
Sunburn
Sunburn first aid
Sunken fontanelles (superior view)

don't shine. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31
I set fire to what's left of the house. The heat melted all of the snow. No more shoveling!!

January 8
Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My in-laws live on Lake Huron just north of Port Huron, MI and I am headed up there tomorrow for a Christmas Eve dinner. They told me there were snow drifts about 5' tall in their yard from the snow blowing back from the lake.

I am definitely taking my camera up there tomorrow in hopes that some of is still there and hasn't blown back out to the lake in the heavy winds on Sunday.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Found this on a medical website, and many nouns auto-linked to amusing results (I'll leave one in towards the end).

I've seen versions like this starting with, "We are so glad we moved from Lynn Haven, Florida and can now experience a real winter in Iowa/Michigan/Maine, etc. . . ."

btrage

Cyburbian
My in-laws live on Lake Huron just north of Port Huron, MI and I am headed up there tomorrow for a Christmas Eve dinner. They told me there were snow drifts about 5' tall in their yard from the snow blowing back from the lake.

I am definitely taking my camera up there tomorrow in hopes that some of is still there and hasn't blown back out to the lake in the heavy winds on Sunday.

Growing up in Port Huron, I definitely remember when the wind would suddenly shift and without warning there would be massive amounts of lake-effect snow.

I'm heading out to Port Huron on Christmas. I'm going to take some pictures of my house in Grand Rapids and show them what real lake-effect snow is like! :-D

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
So we got about another 5 or 6 inches of snow from the latest winter storm that started yesterday morning and ended just about now. There's still some lingering flurries though. The snowpile at the end of the driveway by my mailbox is now about 4 feet high. Elsewhere, there's probably about 12-18 inches of snow on the ground.

They're calling for rain and 40 degree temps this weekend though. With such massive amounts of snow, ice floes in the rivers, blocked sewers, and a frozen ground, you know what that means...flooding.

zman

Cyburbian
Looking at the Inland NW weather forecast. All I am praying for now is that my flight gets in and I am in front of my in-laws fireplace with a healthy measure of Pendleton whiskey late tonight (watching highlights of a Notre Dame victory would be even better....);)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Warmcoldwarmcoldicerainicesnowrainwarmcoldrainwarm

During the last week or so we have "enjoyed" a colder-than-normal December, here in the flatlands of NW Ohio. It went something like this.....

Average Temps / Dry
Average Temps / Rain
Falling Temps / Rain
Falling Temps / Sleet
Falling Temps / Freezing rain
Falling Temps / Ice Storm Warning
Falling Temps / Snow
Falling Temps / Increasing winds
Falling Temps / Dry (But very strong winds.....actual temps below zero....wind chill minus 25F)
Ice: Covering roads, trees, powerlines, vehicles, shrubs, fences, doorknobs. etc.
Rising Temps / Freezing rain
Rising Temps / Melting ice and snow (water everywhere)
Falling Temps / All that water freezing
Christmas Day: Mid-20F temps / Dry

Friday Forecast: Mid 40F temps / Dry
Saturday Forecast: Near 60F / Rain

Fun, huh?

Bear

Veloise

Cyburbian
Average Temps / Dry
Average Temps / Rain
Falling Temps / Rain
Falling Temps / Sleet
Falling Temps / Freezing rain
Falling Temps / Ice Storm Warning
Falling Temps / Snow
Falling Temps / Increasing winds
Falling Temps / Dry (But very strong winds.....actual temps below zero....wind chill minus 25F)
Ice: Covering roads, trees, powerlines, vehicles, shrubs, fences, doorknobs. etc.
Rising Temps / Freezing rain
Rising Temps / Melting ice and snow (water everywhere)
Falling Temps / All that water freezing
Christmas Day: Mid-20F temps / Dry

Friday Forecast: Mid 40F temps / Dry
Saturday Forecast: Near 60F / Rain ...
Once heard a forecast with quite a few of these situations described, but all in the same day. The announcer added a fabulous punch line: "something for everyone."

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Once heard a forecast with quite a few of these situations described, but all in the same day. The announcer added a fabulous punch line: "something for everyone."

Help an old guy out here.....was it George Carlin who, during his "Hippy-Dippy Weatherman" bit, discussed the forecast for a city hit by a nuclear bomb....giving the forecast as "Hot"?

Bear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Help an old guy out here.....was it George Carlin who, during his "Hippy-Dippy Weatherman" bit, discussed the forecast for a city hit by a nuclear bomb....giving the forecast as "Hot"?

Bear

Classic Carlin, here's one of the first clips from '66 with Al Sleet the Hippy Dippy Weatherman making an appearance at the 5 minute mark.

[youtube]q1inQWS-Ryo[/youtube]

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
74 degrees here, at just past noon. The cats are lounging by the pool, the kid is watching a movie, and RJ, surprisingly, is taking a nap. :r:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Huh?

Here in balmy NW Ohio the temperature this morning, when I took Molly (Golden Retriever) outside, was 55F. Huh? Just a week ago the temperature was well below ZERO F and we were enjoying a wind chill of about MINUS-25. Huh?

Today's high will probably set a record.....expecting mid-60F range. Some rain expected......and a ton of melting.....even with the warm temps overnight, all the snow and ice of the past month is slowly walking the death plank.

Last night when we arrived home from visiting some friends at a metro bar, our yard was still a sheet of ice.....with a couple inches of water on top. I told Katie, "Watch out, it is very slippery!"

Yeah, you know the end of this story.....but the fall wasn't ME.....it was HER. She slipped on the icy surface and fell, completly soaking her jeans. She was not hurt.....jumped up laughing her axx off.

Tornado Watch situations all through the Ohio Valley and the mid-Mississippi Valley. In this northern swath of Ohio we are expecting some thunderstorms, but nothing of the severe nature.

On Sunday the temps will still be above normal, by about 10 degrees. High winds are projected, but dry. Maybe we will get to see that big round yellow ball. What is it called, again? The sun?

Bear

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
At the moment, clear skies. Forecast high today is 78 F. Should be great golfing weather. Then it's a stop at Publix to pick up something to grill. Life is good on the panhandle. :-D

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After freezing rain and fog made yesterday's morning commute treacherous, it is now 57 degrees and raining here in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. We even had thunderstorms this morning...and I think cloud-to-ground lightning hit somebody's house cause I heard a lot of emergency sirens. The entire Chicago metro area is under a flash flood warning and just about every river in the area is under a flood warning. They're calling for 1-3 inches of rain. The rivers will likely be in flood through next week. The 12-18 inches of snowcover is rapidly disappearing and will probably be mostly gone by later today...save for the big snowpiles.

Tornado warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings are widespread across downstate and are currently in effect as far north as the Peoria area. :-c

zman

Cyburbian
Spent Christmas shoveling snow off of roofs in North Idaho; left a frozen and snow logged Spokane, WA yesterday back to Colorado; where I comfortably wore short sleeves in 60 degree weather. :h:

CCMNUT39

Cyburbian
Welcome to Spokane!! I have 63 inches of snow out in Nine-Mile (West of Spokane). What did I do for Christmas? Shoooooooooooovel snow. Yee-haw.

zman

Cyburbian
Thursday, January 8, 2009. 1:40pm MST. Weld County, northern Colorado

It is 62 degrees and sunny here. Both office windows are open to the breeze. The sun is shining, the winds are calm. I was sweating earlier.

When will winter be back? :-@

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Sunny and and a very pleasant-feeling 79º here in central Texas. I'd say it's different, but we're used to spurts of this (but usually about 10 degrees cooler or so) followed by spurts of "cold" (which, to us is in the 40s-50s, occasional drops into the 30s) and then spurts of warmth all through winter until spring sets us into the hot season (85º+ [but at the last the humidity doesn't catch up usually until late June/early July, so it actually feels nice]).

btrage

Cyburbian
Sunny and and a very pleasant-feeling 79º here in central Texas. I'd say it's different, but we're used to spurts of this (but usually about 10 degrees cooler or so) followed by spurts of "cold" (which, to us is in the 40s-50s, occasional drops into the 30s) and then spurts of warmth all through winter until spring sets us into the hot season (85º+ [but at the last the humidity doesn't catch up usually until late June/early July, so it actually feels nice]).

That sounds perfect!!!

Any other Director level positions available down in your neck of the woods?? :-D

I'm not looking forward to the sever Arctic air that will be setting into the Great Lakes region this weekend. Highs in the single digits next week. :-c

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
January 23 Aprox

I may be off by a day or two.....but, the approximate date for the average daily temperature in NW Ohio to reach the bottom and begin the climb to a July high is January 23. A couple weeks after that date, Mr. Groundhog makes his shadowy case. A few weeks after that the pitchers and catchers begin to report to Spring Training (in Arizona and Florida). Not long after that the kite flyers begin to look to the skies, welcoming in those "March winds".

Meanwhile.....NW Ohio is under a Winter Storm Watch. Might get about a half foot of snow. Might not.

NW Ohio has "enjoyed" more ice this year than snow. Our snowfall total is very low.

And, as btrage mentioned.....the middle of next week will bring an Arctic Front to the Great Lakes. NW Ohio is expecting single-digit highs late next week.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
4 to 8 inches of snow is forecast for my neck of the woods in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago tomorrow. In addition, a plunge of arctic air will see temperatures not even get above zero for a time next week. Just in time for going back to school, of course. :r:

boiker

Cyburbian
4 to 8 inches of snow is forecast for my neck of the woods in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago tomorrow. In addition, a plunge of arctic air will see temperatures not even get above zero for a time next week. Just in time for going back to school, of course. :r:

If my flight into Chicago tomorrow is delayed, I'm going to blame the messenger ;-)

kms

Cyburbian
Our forecast is 4 - 8 inches of snow by tomorrow night, depending on the track of the storm (the new disclaimer). We haven't seen any of the forecast snow this winter.

zman

Cyburbian
Finally cooler (seasonably) today with a high of 43.
I checked the weather station at my house and it got up to 67 degrees:h::r: yesterday on the hihg plains.

This morning the cold dry wind is back. No wonder people go mad out here.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well...the latest snowstorm brought about 6 to 8 inches around here. It occurred in two waves...one on Friday morning and then again on Saturday morning. It was supposed to occur all on Friday, but the weather forcasters got that wrong. O'Hare Airport recorded a foot of snow.

Now, the latest arctic blast is expected to hit tonight into tomorrow morning. We are under a blizzard watch here in Northern Illinois, as we are expecting 2 to 5 inches of snow, combined with winds that could reach 35mph, which may produce blizzard and whiteout conditions tonight and tomorrow. In addition, starting Tuesday and continuing through Friday, the temperature is not supposed to get above 11 degrees...going as low as -12 on Thursday night. More snow is also expected Wednesday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got maybe a foot and half of snow all told since last Friday. I guess we're looking at another 2-4" tomorrow. At least I am getting plenty of exercise shovelling snow every day.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cold

NW Ohio received a little over a foot of snow in the last few days. This morning the temperature slid slightly above 32F.....maybe hitting 34F.....and has been falling since that sun-tan-peak. We expect temps around ZERO tonight, maybe reaching 10F on Wednesday, sliding to about 15-below F for both Wednesday night and Thursday night. The high temps on Thursday and Friday might make it above ZERO, although unlikely.

Coldest weather we have had in NW Ohio in a few years.

On Thursday and Friday, the winds will pick-up, creating quite dangerous wind chills.

Similar weather all through the midwest and Great Lakes area.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Huh?

Just checked the weather in Fairbanks, Alaska. Last week, the high temps in Fairbanks were in the MINUS-25 range. This afternoon (Wednesday) the temperature is 36F. That's 36 ABOVE! WTF?

Here in NW Ohio we struggled to get to 10F today. Tonight, about MINUS-10. Tomorrow and Friday it may not get above ZERO. The all-time cold temp for Toledo is MINUS-20. We may come close to that record.

FWIW.....Toledo's official temperatures are reported from Toledo Express Airport. That facility is between Toledo's outer-ring western suburbs and Swanton (a bedroom suburb). Thus, Toledo's official "reading" may not be indicitive of an urban setting.

Bear

Veloise

Cyburbian
George Carlin said it:

...Toledo's official temperatures are reported from Toledo Express Airport. That facility is between Toledo's outer-ring western suburbs and Swanton (a bedroom suburb). Thus, Toledo's official "reading" may not be indicitive of an urban setting. ...
"Temperature at the airport is 88 degrees. Which is stupid, man, because I don't know anybody who lives at the airport."

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Just checked the weather in Fairbanks, Alaska. Last week, the high temps in Fairbanks were in the MINUS-25 range. This afternoon (Wednesday) the temperature is 36F. That's 36 ABOVE! WTF?

Here in NW Ohio we struggled to get to 10F today. Tonight, about MINUS-10. Tomorrow and Friday it may not get above ZERO. The all-time cold temp for Toledo is MINUS-20. We may come close to that record.

FWIW.....Toledo's official temperatures are reported from Toledo Express Airport. That facility is between Toledo's outer-ring western suburbs and Swanton (a bedroom suburb). Thus, Toledo's official "reading" may not be indicitive of an urban setting.

Bear

And you live there WHY? Someone a few years ago on Cyb was bitching about people living in the hurricane regions of the US. These blizzards make the other argument about why in hell anyone lives up north. (Not that I'm bitching, I'm just saying....") I must admit, the article on the 'net a couple weeks back made me laugh, about some town in Iowa that couldn't afford that salt for the snow and a garlic-salt company donated a bunch of tons, and all the city workers stank like garlic when they went home. "My dog keeps trying to eat my pants!"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Wind Chill Advisory Midnight to 10 am -
MINIMUM WIND CHILL VALUES FROM -5 TO -15 ARE EXPECTED
Currently
Temp 18 F
Wind 15 mph
Wind Chill 4
But NO snow.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Right now, it is -12 degrees with a wind chill of -32. Yes, that's right, negative.

Tonight's expected low: -19, with wind chills approaching -40
Tomorrow's expected high: -6 with wind chills approaching -40
Tomorrow's expected low: -21 with wind chills approaching -40
Friday's expected high: 3
Friday's expected low: 2 with snow

We are under a wind chill warning through Friday afternoon.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We had a low of 31F this morning. You folks in the Midwest, just take this back!!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's right around zero right now. Got freakin' gas line freeze last night and couldn't get the car started :-{

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Right now this morning, it is -16 with a wind chill of -39. As usual, NIU has not closed. Meanwhile, just about every K-12 school across Northern Illinois has closed, in addition to many preschools, libraries, park districts, and churches. But if I can't get my car started, I'm not going.

Last edited:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
"Temperature at the airport is 88 degrees. Which is stupid, man, because I don't know anybody who lives at the airport."

That's funny, because we live very close to the airport, and I always gauge our local temperature based on whatever is reported "at the airport"!

Numbers aside, it is freakin' cold here this morning!!! I haven't driven the car in two days; I hope it starts if and when I go to the grocery store later. Right now I am stuck waiting for the UPS guy who will be here "sometime between 9 and 5." :-{

I feel sorry for the birds. I have trying to keep the feeders full of seed and water in the heated birdbath. And I won't let my dog outside without her fleece jacket on (plus she looks so cute in it). :)

mgk920

Cyburbian
It is a clear and sunny -28 c (-20F) this morning. Love it.
Clear, brilliant sunshine, -25C right now.

:)

And with the school ninnies wimping out, the malls, the Walmarts (no more '*' in the middle), the sledding hills and hockey rinks should all be buzzing with happy activity today.

Mike

TOFB

Cyburbian
Low last night -26F, some unofficial reports just outside of town of -35F. Coldest in a long, long time.

southsideamy

Cyburbian
It's -9.8 F here with windchill of -30.6 F. Tonight's forcast is -16F with a -32 F windchill. I have a public hearing at Plan Commission tonight, so the show must go on. brrrrrr....

I should get danger pay.