• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
the local talk show in Maine on the radio was saying that "see, there's no global warming, it's freezing out!" - wtf, what a nimrod! :-{

Linda_D

Cyburbian
And you live there WHY? Someone a few years ago on Cyb was bitching about people living in the hurricane regions of the US. These blizzards make the other argument about why in hell anyone lives up north. (Not that I'm bitching, I'm just saying....") I must admit, the article on the 'net a couple weeks back made me laugh, about some town in Iowa that couldn't afford that salt for the snow and a garlic-salt company donated a bunch of tons, and all the city workers stank like garlic when they went home. "My dog keeps trying to eat my pants!"

Well, for one thing, blizzards don't blow houses apart or flood homes miles inland with storm surge. Also some people don't enjoy 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
And you live there WHY? Someone a few years ago on Cyb was bitching about people living in the hurricane regions of the US. These blizzards make the other argument about why in hell anyone lives up north. (Not that I'm bitching, I'm just saying....") I must admit, the article on the 'net a couple weeks back made me laugh, about some town in Iowa that couldn't afford that salt for the snow and a garlic-salt company donated a bunch of tons, and all the city workers stank like garlic when they went home. "My dog keeps trying to eat my pants!"

I can't believe I missed this post - another spit up my Limonata moment laughing!!!!:p

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Jamestown, NY is 8 degrees with a wind chill of -6. It's sunny right now but there's 2 feet of snow expected in parts of Chautauqua County by early am Saturday.

The high will be 13 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday -- a heat wave!!!

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
-7 here this AM in Central Indiana with a wind chill of -22 . It's 0 now at 3 pm. Tonight it is supposed to get down to -10 to -15 with wind chills in the -30 neighborhood.

Yesterday it was 28 with 3 inches of snow.

graciela

Cyburbian
OK, I live in the south so I can't compare with you guys up north...

but GOOD GRIEF 12 is a little extreme for Georgia. My poor horses and chickens are miserable.:-{

Yes, I realize that this would be a heat wave for many of you but I am just not used to this sort of cold. Brrrrrrrr.:-(

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Minus 13

Good morning, fellow wimps! :-D

Here in Swanton our 5:00 AM temperature is a balmy MINUS-13. Usually I never start my big Tundra to let it warm-up.....certainly would not want to contribute to global warming or anything of that sort.....heh heh heh.....but this morning when I took Molly (Golden Retriever) out to her doggie yard I also popped the key in the truck and started it. It will be very unusual for this Bear to slide into a warm vehicle. Maybe I can wear my bathing suit when I drive, becuase the cab will be (should be?) well above ZERO.

Here in Swanton our 5:00 AM temperature is a balmy MINUS-13. Usually I never log on to Cyburbia at this time......certainly would not want to contribute to Cyburbian waning or anything of that sort.....heh heh heh......but this morning after I brought Molly (Golden Retriever) back in from her doggie yard I also popped open this WEATHER thread, to share my chillsd with those of you who might be well above ZERO.

:-D

Now I am off to the fun workplace. Bet ya dollars to donuts that I have a number of call-offs. Let's see....warm, cuddly bed OR slave-driving workplace with mean ole Mr. Bear. Pass the toast!

:-D

Bear Putting On Gloves

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Down on the Ohio River it was (0) ZERO at 5 am.
No wind chill factor.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The car thermomenter read - 8 coming in this a.m. I guess we're looking at highs of around maybe 3 today.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Along my little stretch of Ohio River acreage, the temp was -1F (-17c). My old Tacoma harumphed a bit before the battery finally relented and turned over. All local schools are on a minimum two-hour delay and plenty have decided to make it a four day weekend. (WIMPs:-o)

I'm here to attend a downtown corridor plan meeting that holds some exciting opportunities for our sleepy little downtown.:) Investing money in your city really can pay rewards.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I got you all beat! In DeKalb, IL, at 7am, it's -19 with a wind chill of -36. The temperature is finally supposed to get back above freezing some time today. They actually canceled night classes last night and morning classes today at my college. Meanwhile, a plethora of schools across Northern Illinois have closed both today and yesterday, meaning a 5-day weekend, with MLK Day thrown in.

kms

Cyburbian
-3 here. I made it a four-day weekend, as did most, probably, all of the school here. I don't know what the wind chill is, and won't find out this morning.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
It is a clear and sunny -28 c (-20F) this morning. Love it.

Weather channel reporting that it's -15f here today. I too love it! Not that I really want to be outside for any length of time right now, but there is tons of snow, the sun is shining, and it's really pretty out there.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Who's sorry now???

Hey, the apt temp is set at 65 and I'm completely comfortable. Plus, I've never worn slippers. Being part Swede does have advantages:-D;):r: Besides, what you did send was far better. That snowflake is now big enough make Jack Frost delerious.

zman

Cyburbian
So, I know this thread has been a sounding board recently for complaints regarding the Cold and Snow elsewhere in the U.S..
Well, here on Colorado's High Plains, it was in the 60s all weekend. Here's what I did:
-Sampled local craft beer... in the sun on the patios of two breweries in Fort Collins. Short sleeves, watching people on the golf course, thinking about gardening.
-Had spring cleaning yesterday. All windows of the house open.
-This morning, I walked into work without a jacket and I am thinking of opening the windows.

This isn't right in my strange mind. Driving home for an errand yesterday, I wondered that it may never snow again in Northern Colorado. While I am somewhat enjoying this weather, I would like snow... and some cold. It is January after all, we have plenty of days to be outside in our short sleeved shirts. Maybe when it is 100 degrees in July? But for now... give me my seasons.

Anyone in the snow and cold... I'll trade ya. ;)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'll trade you...two weeks of below freezing weather with snow, freezing rain, a false hope created by fleeting rays of sun, and back to the frigid air. I live in a very drafty apartment, the office is perpetually cold, and I just want to be able to feel my toes again.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
So, I know this thread has been a sounding board recently for complaints regarding the Cold and Snow elsewhere in the U.S..
Well, here on Colorado's High Plains, it was in the 60s all weekend. Here's what I did:
-Sampled local craft beer... in the sun on the patios of two breweries in Fort Collins. Short sleeves, watching people on the golf course, thinking about gardening.
-Had spring cleaning yesterday. All windows of the house open.
-This morning, I walked into work without a jacket and I am thinking of opening the windows.

This isn't right in my strange mind. Driving home for an errand yesterday, I wondered that it may never snow again in Northern Colorado. While I am somewhat enjoying this weather, I would like snow... and some cold. It is January after all, we have plenty of days to be outside in our short sleeved shirts. Maybe when it is 100 degrees in July? But for now... give me my seasons.

You always seem to get weird weather on the High Plains. Like it can go from 70 to 20 basically at any time out there.

I was able to put up with the recent cold snap alright...and for a few days it ain't that bad. Right now, it has finally stopped snowing for what seems like the first time all winter. It looks clear the rest of the week, with temps mostly in the 20s, meaning the snowpack isn't going anywhere soon, but still pretty manageable. I too like the winter and the seasons, but come mid-February, I'll be sick of it, if we don't get a few 60 degree days like in CO before then.

zman

Cyburbian
Man... now the sustained wind speed is on par with the temps. Both can be measured at 60...

Did I mention I am going MAD! :s: ;-)

Planit

Cyburbian
This morning it was 26 degrees and an inch and a half of snow - all the local news stations were freaking out about school closings and slick roads.

And yes, even though I don't live in the cold north, I find this funny as he11.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
it is currently 1F. it was -6 on the drive into work. :-|

32 days till sunshine and warm beaches!!!

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's 16F. The roads were slick this morning so R.T. got a 90 minute reprieve from school. I have 50 minutes until class...I am NOT taking the bus.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Currently, it's 7 with a wind chill of -7. Temperatures are supposed to rise and fall and rise again today & tonight. Must be fronts moving through. Tomorrow, it's supposed to be 30!...a heat wave!

zman

Cyburbian
The Winds of Change...

So today they are saying we'll have close to 70 degrees here. So I woke up and upon hearing this, I decided to celebrate this fact...rather than cry about it, you know, it being January and all.
Anyways, things are looking up! New tunes in the iPod, good long walk into the office with the sun on my face and the wind has died down. :)

Man, the wind was so bad yesterday a HUGE dust bowl whipped up and caused a major wreck on I-70 east of Denver. Couple people died too. Now we have wildfires everywhere. No snow and lots of wind has died us up badly.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
This morning it was 26 degrees and an inch and a half of snow - all the local news stations were freaking out about school closings and slick roads.

And yes, even though I don't live in the cold north, I find this funny as he11.

We had almost 4" in my neck of the woods...snow day from work!

CJC

Cyburbian
We finally had a partly cloudy day today after more than two weeks of clear sunny skies and 70+ highs. Looks like we're going to get some rain tomorrow - sorely needed rain.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
It's already down to 37F here on the panhandle. The forecast low is 23F tomorrow morning with a high tomorrow of 49F. We're freezing our butts off here.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The highs for tomorrow and Saturday are forecast to be 70F and 71F, respectively. That's more like it. :-D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Posting From The Tropic Of Cyburbia

Today it finally inched a few degrees above freezing, here in the cold and snowy flatlands of Northwestern Ohio. The forecast for Friday is similar, with daytime temps approaching the mid-30F range. I may just get out the sprinkler, put on the gym shorts bathing suit, and run thru the sprinkler. :-D

We have not experienced above-freezing temperatures for many days. And it will be short-lived. The plan for Saturday and Sunday.....mid-teen temps.

Back to normal. Reel in the hose. The sprinkler party is off.

Bear

zman

Cyburbian
After 4 days in a row of 70degree+ temps, I am happy to report it is now SNOWING on the High Plains.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It is over 55 F now and the forecast is overnight low 21 F with saturday's high 29 F.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Today it finally inched a few degrees above freezing, here in the cold and snowy flatlands of Northwestern Ohio. The forecast for Friday is similar, with daytime temps approaching the mid-30F range. I may just get out the sprinkler, put on the gym shorts bathing suit, and run thru the sprinkler. :-D

We have not experienced above-freezing temperatures for many days. And it will be short-lived. The plan for Saturday and Sunday.....mid-teen temps.

Back to normal. Reel in the hose. The sprinkler party is off.

Bear

Actual the normal high for this date in Chicago is 32. I'm going to guess that the average for January is going to be significantly below normal.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It appears that JNA, Coragus and I will soon be finding ourselves in what passes for a significant winter storm in these here parts. The first wave is supposed to arrive tonight and dump 6" or so on us, followed by a second wave that may bring more snow, or sleet, or freezing rain. Should be interesting.

Oh, and Coragus if you haven't already witnessed it, you new neighbors are about to amaze you with their inability to drive in the white stuff.:-o:-D

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
It appears that JNA, Coragus and I will soon be finding ourselves in what passes for a significant winter storm in these here parts. The first wave is supposed to arrive tonight and dump 6" or so on us, followed by a second wave that may bring more snow, or sleet, or freezing rain. Should be interesting.

About 100 miles north of you all, here in Central IN, we are expecting anywhere from 2 to 5 inches of snow. IF this snow pans out, it will be the biggest storm so far this winter. :r:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
In the Evansville-Henderson metro area, forecasters say residents should expect at least 4 inches, with as much as 10 inches possible in some areas. As totals go, that's a wide range, but this is no ordinary winter storm for the Ohio Valley. Until the historic December 2004 snow storm, the record one-day snowfall for Evansville was a 10.9-inch effort on Feb. 25, 1993.

The 2004 storm, in the week before Christmas, dumped 19.3 inches of snow on the city in 24 hours, then added another 3 inches the next day.
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/jan/24/wintry-weather-possible-early-next-week/

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well according to the National Weather Service, with about 17 consecutive days of snowpack of 6 inches or more, this period of time currently ranks just outside the Top 10 periods of 6"+ snowpack in Chicago. With an additional inch of snow expected tomorrow and the temperature not supposed to climb above 32 this week, this period will likely rank among the Top 10 periods of excessive snowpack (6"+) of all time in Chicago and maybe Rockford as well. I don't think we'll reach the 62 consecutive days we reached back in 1979 in Chicago or the 77 consecutive days reached in the same year in Rockford, but you never know.

zman

Cyburbian
Snow all day yesterday, this morning and apparently more on the way tonight. Good, lightweight and fluffy Colorado snow. Easy to shovel.
Bitter cold though, with a biting wind that burns your face.
The dogs are antsy and afflicted heavily by Cabin Fever.