The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Solid rain again this morning, but it should move out of here after lunchtime today - looks like this could be the last of it until next weekend.
There is a bright yellow orb in the sky. It appears to produce light and warmth. We are still trying to figure out what it is.

It was in the upper 50s Saturday. Unheard of for this time of year here in Detroit! I used the opportunity to clean up a lot of sticks and leaves from the front yard and out of the flower beds. It's supposed to be in the 40s for the next couple of days. I don't mind the warmer weather (it makes running nice) but I'm definitely ready for some snow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got a couple inches of snow late last week. This morning it was 12 degrees out. That's hardly surprising considering it's January, but I guess we got too used to having this absurdly mild winter thus far, because that 12 degrees cut right through me.

I've been to Saranac, NY and Allagash, ME (and the areas around them) a few times. Never to Saranac in the winter but I have been up around Allagash and Fort Kent in the winter.

Looking at a map, I must have been through Clarksburg, MI a few times (I had to look that one up because I had never heard of it) as it's right on the main route through the UP to go to Michigan Tech or west to Duluth.

We had to go up to the beach yesterday to get some stuff that was left up there. It may be Michigan's Thumb but it looked like some sort of bleak Arctic landscape.

Usually if we go up in the winter, it's just my wife or myself and we are there for about 10 minutes and then headed back home. This might have been the first time our daughter was up there when the ice was starting to form on the lake and she thought it was the coolest thing ever. We'll have to take her back up there in a few more weeks when the ice is usually in huge piles that could be 6'+ high.

We got a couple inches of snow late last week. This morning it was 12 degrees out. That's hardly surprising considering it's January, but I guess we got too used to having this absurdly mild winter thus far, because that 12 degrees cut right through me.

Yeah, it got down to 12F in Toledo too. That's the coldest in almost a month, I believe. But at least it was calm winds, so it didn't feel too bad. Much better than a day of 30F with winds to match..

There was a winter weather advisory overnight for some freezing rain. There are about 100+ districts closed but they are all to the west of us so our daughter was very disappointed - the dividing line seems to be our neighborhood as the district that starts just to the west of us is closed (as are the ones that neighbor that district, both north and south).

My drive to work this morning seemed fine.

My district in suburban Buffalo was like that. Everyone else would be closed and we'd be stuck in school. :(

For us, I think it comes down to the fact that our district primarily serves a very dense, old suburb on a grid layout and a few adjacent neighborhoods (like ours) that are likewise compact and dense. Our buses don't really have far to travel and the urban heat island is more pronounced so our roads don't ice over quite so much so when there is just ice or freezing rain we are less likely to close.

But when we get just a few inches of snow, because of the narrow streets and on-street parking around our elementary schools, which are all located in residential neighborhoods, plowing near the schools is always slow so we are more likely to close for a relatively light snow than many of the surrounding districts to the north and west which are all in more spread out suburban and exurban areas.

I have no data or written policy that backs up my theory but I'm sticking to it.

Are you south of 696? (I used to live in Oakland County, then in Dearborn).

I grew up in a first-ring suburb of Buffalo. At that time it was moderately affluent in that we had good facilities and equipment, so we were always plowed out pretty quickly. If we got a foot of snow but it stopped by midnight, the town would be largely cleared by morning, including side streets.

Also, we were on the edge of the snow belt. South of us typically got much more snow than where we were. In 2014 when Buffalo got 6 feet of snow in a little over a day, there was a picture floating around that was taken along the major street on the edge of my neighborhood, looking west. Everything to the right (north) was clear; there was a blizzard to the south. That was pretty extreme but a pretty good illustration of how localized lake effect snow can be.

Last edited: