• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
Forecast for tomorrow in May-retta - high of 65, slight chance of rain.
Forecast for tomorrow in D.C. - high of 30, 100% chance of snow.

Guess where I'll be tomorrow? :-@ There's a reason I live in the south...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
A Personal Weather Station in our neighborhood (linked to Weather Underground), posted a high of 76.5 °F this afternoon. More on tap the next couple of days. :h:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Posting From the North Edge Of The Storm

The big winter storm that is hitting (or is going to hit) the Ohio Valley has a northern edge that will slightly scrape the Toledo area. We are only expecting about 3" to 5" of the fluffy white stuff. As you travel to communities just south of Metro Toledo you will experience greater amounts. (We had our big storm a couple weeks ago and it is still on the ground.)

This Bear has a short business trip planned for Wednesday afternoon. Hopefully, it will not be too bad. Going to Oak Harbor, OH. (Find it on the map, you geography geeks. :-D)

Bear (Go Steelers!)

zman

Cyburbian
The weather here? Sunny as the Sahara, cold as Anarctica.

This will be the last morning I forget to wear my touque on the way into work. :-x

zman

Cyburbian
Sounds like the perfect place to relocate the Gitmo detainees. :-D

<Looks at Growth Management Area Map...>

There is room... and this place can be tortuous at times... just place the detainees outside in the dry, cold, high plains winds for a couple hours. THEN they'll talk and really, can you blame weather for being a torture device? ;)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We had about 5" of a mix of snow and sleet overnight, then a brief break followed by freezing rain, which has added about 1/8" of ice to the trees and powerlines, and is forecast to continue for a while before going back to all snow. Prediction is for the ice to diminish back to sleet then all snow for an additional 5" tomorrow morning.

The Man mandated staff RJ today and has already done the same for tom'w. I'll have to get out for :b::b::b:;-)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
8" of snow so far. supposed to turn to sleet/freezing rain by early afternoon. then another 6" inches of snow.

all the schools in the area are closed.

i'm at work. :eek:| i kept checking the website and e-mail before work in case of the rare chance that non-essentials didn't have to report. alas, no such luck.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It's a wreck here -- large areas with power outages, tree limbs down all over the place, declarations of emergency in most of the south central Indiana counties along the Ohio River -- after a solid sheet of icing overnight. My wild cherry tree is scraping the deck with a coating of ice. A neighbors tree is listing -- dangerously, so, methinks, toward my parked cars. Now we're adding about 6" of snow on top of all that. A mess, really.

One benefit: a Chinese holly Mrs. G planted in the absolute worst place when we bought this house and that had badly outgrown its place is bowed down reverently, as though the emperor himself were about to pass by out front. Hmmmm, where's my chainsaw?:-D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It's a wreck here -- large areas with power outages, tree limbs down all over the place, declarations of emergency in most of the south central Indiana counties along the Ohio River -- after a solid sheet of icing overnight.
Same here.
Office Closed.
at least 3 inches of snow on top of thick ice.
Kentucky state wide state of emergency.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
North Texas is iced over. Fortunately I was able to make it from the living room to my office, 15-20 feet, without falling.

kms

Cyburbian
Ice. Schools are closed, as is my office. Too bad it was open yesterday, that's when I slipped on ice at a job site.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
At my house, after 35 hours of snow, sleet, freezing rain (lots of freezing rain!) and snow -- the china holly is history.

DSC_0164.jpg

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
At my house, after 35 hours of snow, sleet, freezing rain (lots of freezing rain!) and snow -- the china holly is history.

No offense intended, but it looks like it had gotten out of scale with the house anyway. Time for a new shrub/tree a little farther out from the house.

Nice house though.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Got a dusting of an inch or two of snow last night...the light, powdery stuff that brushes off your car easily. It was pretty adventurous driving home in it after seeing Metallica last night. Got stuck following behind a snowplow for several miles.

The latest weather headline on the Chicago NWS website says "Light at the End of the Tunnel" and goes on to say that we are expecting above average temperatures this weekend and next week. Which means, 31 degrees!!! Break out the sunscreen and flip flops!

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Gedunker, that's a fine looking house you have there. I'm sure that would be well over a million where I live.

The Accuweather forecast has highs in the 40s in the long range forecast. Hopefully that will become reality. This cold is a bit tiresome and I'm beginning to get cabin fever.

zman

Cyburbian
Clear day yesterday, but I was struck by a somewhat strange weather occurance.
When I was driving to the ice rink in Greeley, CO late last night for my game, I passed the JBSwift meat packing plant on the north end of town. Nestled in the S. Platte River Valley, on cold days when the steam coming out of it colelcts and lingers over the valley; I have driven through what I call "Cow Fog" on an otherwise normal clear night.
Well, last night the Cow Steam was so thick that it created its own weather and I drove through Cow Snow. It was weird... I have to find a new route in to the rink. Something that plant just stinks...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[OT]
No offense intended, but it looks like it had gotten out of scale with the house anyway. Time for a new shrub/tree a little farther out from the house.

Agreed, it was absolutely in the wrong place and way, way overgrown. But, see, Mrs. G was rather fond of it and I had no chance to prevail in removing it against those odds. So, I'm quietly quite happy.

Nice house though.

Gedunker, that's a fine looking house you have there. I'm sure that would be well over a million where I live.

Thanks! The Louisville metro is a bargain -- we gave $90k for it in '95. We've both put a lot of work into it (there's more waiting for me in Spring, if you look closely), and it appraised -- before the market burst -- at $189k. I have no idea what it might fetch right now, $130-150, perhaps, but it doesn't matter -- they're going to carry me out of here feet first.:)[/OT]

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Clear day yesterday, but I was struck by a somewhat strange weather occurance.
When I was driving to the ice rink in Greeley, CO late last night for my game, I passed the JBSwift meat packing plant on the north end of town. Nestled in the S. Platte River Valley, on cold days when the steam coming out of it colelcts and lingers over the valley; I have driven through what I call "Cow Fog" on an otherwise normal clear night.
Well, last night the Cow Steam was so thick that it created its own weather and I drove through Cow Snow. It was weird... I have to find a new route in to the rink. Something that plant just stinks...

Sounds like bull to me. Well, don't be cowed by JBSwift, you need to steer away from that place.

Planit

Cyburbian
2 days of cold rain are over. Now we have sunny clear skies and should get up to 49 or 50 today.

I'd like to have at least one good snow here this year.

Saw the Weather Channel up in Maine last night with the ice there. lp are you frozen in an ice pack?

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
12.5 inches of snow here in Central Indiana. The office was open yesterday, but I wasn't able to get out of the parking lot at my apartment. This morning it took me almost an hour to go the normal 30 minutes to work. It looks very pretty, but the dogs are not happy about the snow!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
A Beary Snowy January

Our snowstorm on Wednesday presented the Toledo area with another 11 inches of that white stuff. They predicted a bit less. Oh well.

With two more days to go we could break the all-time record in T-Town, for January snow.....

January, 1978 - 30.8 inches
January, 2009 - 30.7 inches

Kind of an "Escanaba-like" January, eh? (Note: Esky is in "the bananna belt" of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so snowfall totals are much less than just 60 miles north.)

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
People harangue us about being in hurricane-land in the summer. But by god, I'd rather be without power in 90+ temps than in the freezing weather up there. I wish ya'll luck.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
People harangue us about being in hurricane-land in the summer. But by god, I'd rather be without power in 90+ temps than in the freezing weather up there. I wish ya'll luck.

I'm right there with you! My vision of hell is full of snow and ice.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was up and out of the house by about 5:15 a.m. and while it had snowed a bit yesterday evening, nothing I wasn't expecting had hit the ground overnight. But between the time I arrived at the YMCA and left at 6:45 I think a new 1.5" had fallen. I know we had a lot of snow last year but it seemed to all come in big bursts; this year it just never ends... it's like we are being nickle and dimed to death with snow and it's never warm enough for it to melt away so it just keeps stacking up.

But I am in no way complaining. I love it!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The mercury did not top 40 degrees throughout the month of January in Northern Illinois and we had 6 inches or more of snowpack for about 3 weeks straight, pushing that time period into the Top 10 longest stretches of excessive snowpack of all time at Chicago and Rockford.

Temperatures in the teens are expected today and tomorrow. However, we could see temperatures in the 40s this weekend...with rain!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Melting Snow

Here n NW Ohio we had the second-snowiest January ever and the sixth-coldest January ever. February started very cold. Yesterday, this Bear walked out to the rugged Tundra ;) at 5:00 AM. A nice and toasty 8-below-ZERO. :-c

However.....Saturday, Sunday, and Monday will bring temperatures at or above the 50F range. Wow!

All of the snow and ice will start to melt, creating some possible flooding conditions in the river valleys. Compounding that will be rain that is expected. My frozen yard will turn into a muddy and soggy mess. Ugh.

BTW.....the groundhog saw his shadow....and it looked very much like a Pittsburgh Steeler logo. :-D

Bear

zman

Cyburbian
67 degrees yesterday. Same today... hopefully (once I get my ass off Cyburbia and back to work) I can finish my project and head home early. ;)

btrage

Cyburbian

I agree with you wholeheartedly. And I've never even been through a hurricane.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It's in the mid-50s today across Northern Illinois, and in the mid-60s in Central Illinois. After a bitterly cold and snowy December and January, this is a nice break. Much of the snow is gone, and with high temperatures in the thirties, forties, and fifties all this week, with rain expected as well, all the snow could very well disappear, save for the big snowpiles that don't melt til April. I don't know when winter will make its return, but I'm sure it will at some point. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the mild weather.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Spring was in the air here in Illinois. Went for a bike ride around Harvard which I don't think got as warm as Chicago, but was still quite pleasant.

More seasonable temps should be back mid-week, but I'll take what I can get.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Spring is in the air here, too. Sat by the pool in shorts and no shirt reading a book the past two afternoons. :h: :D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Unseasonable

Yeah, NW Ohio is getting some of that warm weather that is sliding through our nation's mid-section. Last week it was 8-below-zero.....tomorrow (Tuesday) it will be just at or above 60F. Gonna be warm for a couple days, followed by some possible thunder-bumpers, and temps heading back to slightly-above-normal by the weekend.

I would bet dollars-to-donuts that the Ohio Valley gets some severe weather. Have not seen a forecast.....just guessing, because of the temps predicted for the areas north of the OV.

Golf clubs still on hold, doncha know. ;)

Bear

boiker

Cyburbian
A weekend of chilly, cloudy weather resulted in 1 inch of rain at my house in the Phoenix metro. The mountains 60 miles to the north were covered heavily by snow. It won't be warmer than 55 today. Tucson may get some snow this morning too!:-c

CJC

Cyburbian
It got pretty cold last night - down to the high 30's. Rain is on the way for the rest of the week, guess the 70 degree no cloud days are over for awhile.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I would bet dollars-to-donuts that the Ohio Valley gets some severe weather. Have not seen a forecast.....just guessing, because of the temps predicted for the areas north of the OV.
Bear

If you get any takers, let me know and I'll forward some cash money so I can get some of that action. SPC indicates we're in a 45% chance for wicked weather, including winds up to 60mph. Not good, considering the grief our trees have suffered after Ike passed by and the recent ice storm.

This Hoosier's keeping his fingers crossed . . . we get through it safely.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Springtime is coming to North Texas!

Forecasted winds to 70 mph, severe thunderstorms, large hail & possible tornados. I've had daffodils blooming since mid-January so it's about that time again. For you frozen tundra folks, the last freeze and the start of planting season is generally considered to be February 15th in this area.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
weather is in the 40s today with a chance of making it into the mid-50s tomorrow.

break out the shorts and tank tops!!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
57 degrees as of a few minutes ago. Supposed to get up to maybe 60. It seems like we often get a 'teaser' thaw around late January or early February and this looks to be it for 2009. I'm not going to psychologically get into S mode - I just can't cause myself that kinda grief just yet. Winter is not over and there will be significant snowfall yet in the coming month. I must accept this fact. I cannot allow myself to utter the S word just yet and I will ban on sight anyone who dares bump the 2009 garden thread right now:-@

grrrrrr.;-)

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Right now in DeKalb, IL, it is 56 degrees, sunny, and breezy. All the snow is gone too. I went to class wearing nothing but a t-shirt and jeans today...it is even too warm for a sweatshirt! It's still supposed to get up to 62 today...we'll see if that actually happens.

Rockford already broke its record high for this day. The old record was 56, and it's already reached 59 there. Chicago is still three degrees away from the record, sitting at 60; the record there is 63.

It's only one day though. Tomorrow it's supposed to be rainy and 45. It's supposed to drop back into the 30s after that. But, still not too bad.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Fabulous weather in the Carolinas today, highs in the low 70's. Windows open, heat off!

On a side note:

Anyone notice the effect the full moon is having on your work environment? Its been crazy these past 2 days, seems like all the loonies are out in my planning office.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Went out to visit Kiss! Man's tarped-over boat wearing shorts (zip-off pant legs: I'm a planner!) and flip-flops. Just to say I could.

Zipped the legs back on and recovered my feet before reaching the snowy, chilly marina. Good thing! Climbing was involved.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Ice Jams &amp; Walleyes

Very warm (for February) here in NW Ohio. Temperatures near record highs (60F), many inches of melting snow, and a few inches of steady rain.....flood conditions all through the area.....and ice jams.

The Maumee River is the largest river feeding the Great Lakes. When we encounter a very cold winter (such as this season) the river freezes over. A rapid melt will cause the ice to start to break-up and move downstream. It will then jam up in the shallow (rapids) areas. Some years the piles of jammed ice have reached astronomical proportions. That ice jam creates a huge dam and the free-flowing water behind it starts to create flooding conditions.

At risk are river towns such as Waterville (a bedroom suburb of Toledo), Grand Rapids, and Napoleon. This evening they are already evacuating some homes in Napoleon. Napoleon does have a neighborhood of older homes , near the CBD, that is just above flood level markers. Grand Rapids' entire CBD is just above flood level markers and has experienced some devastating floods in previous years that brought ice jam conditions. Waterville has a few newer homes on the flood plain.
_____

When the winter season is a bit milder (not this season) the walleyes begin to move up the Maumee River (spawning) in mid-February. It is a common sight during those mild years to begin to see ardent fishermen lining the riverbanks by Valentine's Day. This year, with the ice jams and high water it may be a few weeks before the anglers can get to any open water......and do it without putting their life at risk.

By early March the river will be filled with hundreds of fishermen. The Maumee is considered the best walleye fishing river in the states.

Bear