• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
More Snow On The Way

Northwest Ohio.....

The normal-to-above-normal temperatures the last couple weeks have resulted in most of the snow cover doing the disappearing act. The only snow that remains is the smaller size of the once-huge snowpiles (from the plows). February had very little snow. Until.....

We are expecting a bigger snowfall on Saturday....maybe as much as 6" of the white stuff. This Bear will be out driving in the snow......working Saturday (new system blues, but that's another story).

In my last weather post I mentioned the walleye fishermen. Bingo! They are already starting to line the banks of the Maumee River. The attached video was filmed within the limits of inner-ring Toledo suburb Maumee, OH. Downtown Toledo is just a few miles from this spot. Incredible fishing, in an urban/suburban setting.

Oh.....BTW.....walleye taste great! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFjgsoKrsjc

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Northern Illinois is under a Winter Storm Warning, and about 6-10 inches of snow is forecast for my neck of the woods. It's expected to start around midnight tonight and continue through Saturday afternoon.

zman

Cyburbian
It is super windy here too (moreso than our usual constant wind...)

Hopefully this will bring the warm weather early (tomorrow) so that my golf round goes well.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
It sunny here... started out at 30 degrees, but it's headed toward the 60's.

It's an RJ day for sure!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Northern Illinois is under a Winter Storm Warning, and about 6-10 inches of snow is forecast for my neck of the woods. It's expected to start around midnight tonight and continue through Saturday afternoon.

We're under that same advisory here in the Detroit area and I am keeping my fingers crossed that we get something closer to the higher end of the range! Sadist?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We're a little beter off than northern IL and southern MI. Its snowing now, but I think the last forecast was 7-9" by the end of Saturday.

zman

Cyburbian
It is super windy here too (moreso than our usual constant wind...)

Hopefully this will bring the warm weather early (tomorrow) so that my golf round goes well.

The damned wind yesterday brought a freak storm to Denver while I was down there dining with my folks. Caught much of the city as well as the CDOT plows of guard. It was a slow, trying drive on I-25 through Denver until I got back to the wind swept, but dry, north country.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian

While it did come down really heavy for a time last night, it looks like our totals will be much closer to the low side of the spectrum. Probably around 5 to 7 inches.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The weather is getting nice enough here that ZG is going to switch the pool pump tomorrow. That means the pump will be pulsating the water through the solar panels during the sunlight hours. We should be swimming soon (2 weeks ?). I like "pulsating" and swimming in the pool. Sometimes....never mind.... :-$ :h:

We'll go in the hot tub tonight after dinner.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Swanton Metropolitan Area (including bedroom suburb Toledo) received 3 inches of snow in this latest storm. Less than expected. It will all go away in the middle of the last week of February......expecting temps in the mid-40F range, with rain.

Talked with my son on Saturday. He was on his way to the golf course. His golf adventure (he lives in a suburb of Portland) on Saturday was at a regular course for him, Skamania Lodge. The course is located in the Columbia River Gorge, east of Portland. The course looks beautiful. Temps in Portland were expected to be in the 50F range.

http://www.skamania.com/spring-offe...ring_break09&gclid=COfI6_W18JgCFRNN5QodLl4H1A

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
There is a collective, but cautious, optimism, among our weathercasters here, that we could possibly see a couple highs this week in the 80's.

Yippee, yippee! :-D

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like we are on for a good snowfall here in NJ. Classes tomorrow at the uni have already been canceled, first time since I came here in 2006. Anticipating 6-12". Should be interesting.

Jazzman

Cyburbian
Looks like we are on for a good snowfall here in NJ. Classes tomorrow at the uni have already been canceled, first time since I came here in 2006. Anticipating 6-12". Should be interesting.

Yeah that's the same snowstorm that dumped 6" in some parts of Alabama and up to 12" in Mississippi and Tennessee. The Northeast is going to be a MESS tomorrow.

Here in North Alabama (Huntsville) we only picked up an inch or so, not enough to close down roads, stores, or anything.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
We missed the storm as it tracked southward.
We were on the cold and windy northside of it.

Last edited:

CJC

Cyburbian
Ski trip over the weekend was excellent! Sunny weather on Friday afternoon and Saturday (35 degree highs or so). Drive back over Donner Pass was a bit crazier though - snow was coming down at a rate of about 8" an hour when we were coming over.

Snow

Yup. Snow. Right here in Columbus Georgia.

Yesterday, it was 72F. Today, we got several inches of snow. Thursday, it is supposed to be around 72F again.

Egads.

zman

Cyburbian
Nice 70 degree weather on the High Plains recently.

Had all the windows open yesterday in the house, getting a good breeze through the place (movin' that Chi around, sayin'?)

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It's been rather cold this weekend. Temps in the teens and twenties during the day, with single digits at night. And the wind has also been brisk.

The winds were also blowing in just the right direction that Chicago and most of the inner suburbs east of about Route 59 got Lake Effect snow yesterday...only about an inch or two though. However, in the far suburbs where I'm at, we didn't see anything.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kids these days just don't know how to properly enjoy a Snow Day like we used to back in the day.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Nice 70 degree weather on the High Plains recently.

Had all the windows open yesterday in the house, getting a good breeze through the place (movin' that Chi around, sayin'?)

Send that balmy weather over this way, will ya? We're having a December rerun outside. :-{

Please?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
6+ in our back yard this AM with more snow after I left for work. Ugh I hate snow and am so ready for warm weather. Twenty days till tropical weather...

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a snow day yesterday! Ended up with 6" at the house (and ranges from 3" to 10" in the area) overnight Sunday. I'd only seen/heard snow thunder once before in my life and it was cool. Had a beautifil walk around the neighborhood witht he white stuff coming down in big flakes. Built the snowman, roads were clear by late monday morning.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Spring is in the air in Northern Illinois. It got into the lower 50s yesterday and right now it is 59 and sunny. It's supposed to be in the low-mid 60s tomorrow and Tuesday. Such pleasant weather for walking to class.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Yesterday and today were supposed to be thunderstorms and we just got a smattering of rain this evening. Talk about cancelling plans for nothing! On the other hand, it was nice to have a break from yard work. High of 80, plus 86% humidity; ugh.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Another gorgeous weekend was had across Northern Illinois with fair skies and highs in the low 60s. It's supposed to be in the 50s most days this upcoming week with plenty of chances of rain.

Queen B

Cyburbian
OMG!!!!

The wind is blowing....
Gust up to 60 MPH.
Even for KS standards that is a bit much.

This is one door at a time weather. When you are out in this only one person can get out of the car at a time because otherwise you get your car cleaned out, COMPLETELY...

We are expecting some pretty strong stuff tonight.

zman

Cyburbian
BLIZZARD WARNING

It is snowing like the proverbial son-of-a-bitch right now. Don't know where this will lead...

Planit

Cyburbian
Looks like RJ & ZG better baten down the hatches. Strong line of T'storms headed your way. Bright red on the radar.

We're getting rain, but its wet stuff that we need.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Looks like RJ & ZG better baten down the hatches. Strong line of T'storms headed your way. Bright red on the radar.

We're getting rain, but its wet stuff that we need.

We had some pretty heavy rains yesterday around noon, then lighter rain all day. The worst was this morning. The weather radio alert was going off non-stop. I thought I could get the kid to school and get home before it hit, but got caught about halfway home and had to pull into a parking lot for about 15 min. It's bad when you have the wipers on high and can't see the road at just 20 mph.:-c There was a water spout off the marina just a few blocks from RJ's office, and several reported tornadoes in our portion of the panhandle. We're due for another round tomorrow.

The fun didn't end with my morning drive. I'm doing laundry and had a disposible lighter explode in the dryer. Geez. Guess we need to do a better job of checking our pockets. :-$

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We're to get 4-7" of snow in the next 2 days. Texas here I come.

P.S. At least I'm not in Fargo...

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The same blizzard that Zman got is expected to move into Northern Illinois on Saturday night. We're currently under a Winter Storm Watch. It won't be nearly as bad as what they got in CO & KS, but heavy snow is still likely, especially in the far western and northwestern suburbs of Chicago, which is where I'm at. Some areas could see 6"+. To think I was enjoying 70 degree weather just 10 days ago, and now this.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Hey don't you start talkin about heavy snow in KS...
We have been waiting all day. We are getting flurries now and then. Nothing sticking here where I work. At home the report is 1 in. I want to go home before it gets bad. I figured I would have been out of here by now. AArrgghh...

Richmond Jake

The airport received 1.5 inches of rain yesterday. They've recorded +1.5 inches to this point today and it's still raining. (No damage reported from the tornadoes and high winds this morning.) The forecast calls for 1 to 2 inches overnight and 1 to 2 inches tomorrow (Saturday). Sunday is supposed to be clear but I'm assuming the golf course will be a mess and the round will be canceled.

There's no need to top off the pool as it's almost full.

I agree with Chet; we're not in Fargo.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We got about 6 inches of snow where I'm at in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago (as usual, we got the most snow in the area) in the recent spring snowstorm that will hopefully be the last of the season. The snow ended late morning on Sunday. It's the real heavy, wet kind with a high water content...heart-attack snow as they call it. But I don't expect it to stick around long with temps in the forties and fifties this week, as well as rain.

boiker

Cyburbian
I don't want to bore anyone with the details, so I won't.

80s & sunny until mid-late april. :-D

cch

Cyburbian
Full on winter storm started in the middle of the night saturday and on into yesterday. High winds, heavy snow, etc. But by noon yesterday it was sunny and all quickly melting. By evening it was really hard to believe how awful the weather was just 12 hours earlier. Snow is all melted now with sunny skies.

Richmond Jake

Based on the latest southeast radar loop from of the weather service, we're in for a bumpy night. The heavy stuff should start in an hour or so and last through tomorrow morning. Rivers in the counties to the west, north, and east of us are already leaving their banks.

But hey, we're not in Fargo.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Based on the latest southeast radar loop from of the weather service, we're in for a bumpy night. The heavy stuff should start in an hour or so and last through tomorrow morning. Rivers in the counties to the west, north, and east of us are already leaving their banks.

But hey, we're not in Fargo.

The good thing is, the kid and I grew up in FL, we can pretty much sleep thru any thunderstorm that comes along. Maybe wake up for a few seconds and then crash. Poor RJ, he's not used to it, it'll keep him up all night. TN and I discussed this last night. For us natives, thunderstorms are so commonplace, they pretty much lull us to sleep.

Richmond Jake

We're at nearly 6-inches of rain since this morning and it's still raining. It's been a nasty day; severe t-storms, tornadoes, (minor) flooding. A small lake has formed in our front yard. The good thing is, the soils are sandy and it sucks up the water faster than a pron star...(never mind), the pool is full and might even overflow tonight, and our garden is watered.

The One

Cyburbian
Nice....

We're at nearly 6-inches of rain since this morning and it's still raining. It's been a nasty day; severe t-storms, tornadoes, (minor) flooding. A small lake has formed in our front yard. The good thing is, the soils are sandy and it sucks up the water faster than a pron star...(never mind), the pool is full and might even overflow tonight, and our garden is watered.

Cannon Ball that pool for me tonight......:-D

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a little springy out today. I wish it would warm up a little more though because it would help my poor lungs heal a little faster.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How quickly it changes in extremes
from T/S with Tornado Watch this afternoon to chance of snow w/Freeze Watch monday and tuesday nights.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We were supposed to have bad weather but it didn't happen. I want good weather for the next 2 weeks for the drive south.