• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
So much for the start of Porch Season :r:... I wore my fleece hat and mittens while raking out the garden on Saturday! It's been cold and blustery, more like November.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We got about 2 inches of heavy, wet snow last night. The White Sox home opener is postponed until tomorrow. Will this winter ever end?

Linda_D

Cyburbian
The weather forecast calls for 2-3 inches tonight and 3-5 tomorrow with more north of here (closer to Buffalo). Some unlucky spots may get up to 18 inches! :-o

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Spring Snow

NW Ohio has missed "enjoying" most of the early Spring (2009) snowstorms and blizzards. Last night we did get about an inch of the white stuff.....very wet and heavy. Maybe a tad more tonight and Tuesday.....and then back to normal temperatures as the Easter Weekend approaches. Sunday forecast is for near 60F, a far cry from the "hot" 34F today.

Good weather for hoppin' down the bunny trail. .....with Hugh Hefner.....

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Torrential rain, thunder, lightning, hail, for almost 7 hrs today; we had about 3.5 inches of rain. The panhandle is still recovering from flooding from similar rains a week and a half ago; luckily we are not in the flooded areas.

I have a real fear of lightning.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio has been under a swirling mass of rain-soaked clouds......almost endlessly spinning for three days. Finally starting to let up. The 40F temperatures (nearly 20-degrees below normal) are moving out and above-normal temps are moving in. Just in time for the Toledo Mud Hens' home opener on Thursday and some serious outdoor patio time at Loma Linda's on Friday or Saturday. :)

A couple employees from our facility in Shreveport, LA, were in town today. They were not at all fond of the cold, rainy weather.

Wimps.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, it's springtime in Chicago, and you know what that means...nice and warm inland and cooler "by the lake". I swear it's like night and day over a span of just 5-10 miles or so. I was downtown today and it was quite cold and dreary (temps in the 40s) and you needed a jacket and hat to stay warm. I return to the suburbs and to my college town further inland and it's nice and sunny and in the lower 60s...almost to the point where I felt like shedding my sweatshirt.

After a dreary start to the week (and month), it's finally going to be nice and sunny the next 3 days or so with temps in the mid-upper 60s. It's about time!

zman

Cyburbian
70s the last two days. Things are blooming and turning green here on the High Plains. Weekend springtime events are planned outdoors....

.... only to have a snow storm bring upwards of a FOOT of snow tomorrow. :-|

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
It's supposed to get up to 70 degrees here tomorrow, just in time for Friday Afternoon on the Porch. :-D

I'd better stock up on chips and salsa, tonic water and limes.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Incredible Tornado Watch area covering from
North - Fort Dodge / US 20 in Iowa until 8PM
through to Topeka, Kansas until 7 PM ,
through to Oklahoma City until 10 PM
South - Fort Stockton/ I-10 in Texas until 10 PM

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Most of you folks are going to write me off as "crazy" (or you already did, for other reasons).....

It is only late April and we have had three days of mid-80F temperatures. I am not a fan of warm weather, especially in the evening or at night. After the long and cold winter it has been nice spending some time outside. But for gawd's sake, when the sun slides below the horizon the temperature should too!

I could never live in a place like Texas or Florida.
_____

Talked to my brother's wife this evening. She had just talked with her daughter who lives in northwestern South Dakota. A few days ago it was very warm.....today they had near-blizzard conditions that closed the rural roads.
_____

Yesterday I thought the weather map was wrong. Toledo was in the mid-80F range and Chicago was 43F. WTF? I would bet dollars-to-donuts that our Cyburbian residents in northern Illinois were growling. Weather fronts are dang interesting.

Bear

newbieplanner

Cyburbian
Most of you folks are going to write me off as "crazy" (or you already did, for other reasons).....

It is only late April and we have had three days of mid-80F temperatures. I am not a fan of warm weather, especially in the evening or at night. After the long and cold winter it has been nice spending some time outside. But for gawd's sake, when the sun slides below the horizon the temperature should too!

I could never live in a place like Texas or Florida.

I must be crazy to. I mentioned this in the gardening thread, but I waited and waited for it to get warm to plant my vegetables. Last week it was still a little risky even though the frost safe date past (go figure it frosted the day after April 17th). Our spring has been unseasonably cool until recently. Saturday and Sunday were well into the 90's. The only plus side to the heat was at least there was no humidity. Getting instant stomach cramps and gasping for air aren't to my liking. I'm not sure why I stay here.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Yesterday I thought the weather map was wrong. Toledo was in the mid-80F range and Chicago was 43F. WTF? I would bet dollars-to-donuts that our Cyburbian residents in northern Illinois were growling. Weather fronts are dang interesting.

Oh don't worry. On Friday, it was gorgeous with temperatures in the low-mid 80s here in Chicagoland. Saturday was interesting. The morning started off warm, but it got cool and rainy as the day went on. But yesterday, Sunday, after a stormy morning, the sun came out and the temperatures rebounded into the 70s and it turned out to be a beautiful late afternoon and evening. I even took a stroll in the park after dinner.

It's typical late spring weather in Chicagoland. I'm used to it. I can deal with temps in the mid-40s and rain one day and temps in the 80s and sunny the next day. It makes the nice days that much more enjoyable. This week, it's supposed to be in the 60s all week, with a chance of rain/storms most days. I'll take it.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
77 on Friday, 85 on Saturday, 83 on Sunday, 76 today.

i'm not sure what happened to Spring, seems like we skipped straight to Summer.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
77 on Friday, 85 on Saturday, 83 on Sunday, 76 today.

i'm not sure what happened to Spring, seems like we skipped straight to Summer.

I know, I was roasting in the sun while doing yardwork! I think it's only temporary, though... back to the 60s and 70s later in the week.

Now that I've done some planting, I want rain, even if just for a few hours. :r:

zman

Cyburbian
Rain turned to snow over night.

Snow expected on May 1.

I need to get my starter plants into the garden, but this weather is making me reluctant.

...And now for a turn on ZMan's Black Helicopter gripes...(don ye tin foil hats)

This must be the govt. using chem trails from transcon jetliners to change the weather over the High Plains.

:s:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Here's one we don't see too often in these parts:

NWS LOUKY said:
...RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT /5 PM CDT/ THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOUISVILLE HAS ISSUED A RED FLAG
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT /5 PM CDT/ THIS
EVENING.

GUSTY SOUTHERLY WINDS...LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITIES... AND HIGH
TEMPERATURES IN THE MID 80S ARE EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON. IN
ADDITION FUEL MOISTURES ARE EXPECTED TO BE LOW. THE
COMBINATION OF THESE WILL CONTRIBUTE TO MEET
OR EXCEED CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER THRESHOLDS THIS AFTERNOON.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A RED FLAG WARNING MEANS THAT CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS
ARE EITHER OCCURRING NOW...OR WILL SHORTLY. A COMBINATION OF
STRONG WINDS...LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY...AND WARM TEMPERATURES
WILL CREATE EXPLOSIVE FIRE GROWTH POTENTIAL

8-!:-c

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
With the anniversary of the Greensburg F-5 tornado upon us, you really need to see this slide show to fully appreciate what one of Cyburbia's very own distinguished planners is trying to help rebuild. :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

zman

Cyburbian
Great weather of late, nice and warm, low 80s, light breeze. I enjoyed the windows being open all night. This morning I was struck poetically by the sound of the wind through new aspen leaves outside my window--swelling with pride of living on Colorado's High Plains.

But then, as I walked into work, struggling to move north against a cold 40mph wind, I was reminded that a cold front is moving in, bringing rain for Saturday and Sunday only. This is the 6th weekend in a row with cold rain, while the past 6 weeks has brought great weather during the weekdays. :-|

Frustrating. Looks like I will be painting the bedroom indoors this weekend.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Hope our Missouri and downtstate Illinois Cybs are okay. JNA time to batten down the hatches my friend -- cellophane looks like it'll be getting ugly in these parts in a little while.:-o

Yikes! It looks like a Hurricane in the middle of the nation.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Hope our Missouri and downtstate Illinois Cybs are okay. JNA time to batten down the hatches my friend -- cellophane looks like it'll be getting ugly in these parts in a little while.:-o
Tornado watch until 4 PM.
This Afternoon: Occasional showers and thunderstorms. Some storms could be severe, with large hail, damaging winds, and heavy rain. High near 80. West southwest wind between 11 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Hazardous Weather Outlook

Significant potential for severe thunderstorms exists throughout the quad state today. A large complex of thunderstorms with the potential to produce damaging winds...large hail...and a fewtornadoes...is expected to push eastward into western portions of the area by 10 am.

A stationary outflow boundary from storms last night is located from near greenville missouri to near hickman kentucky. As the thunderstorm complex interacts with this boundary...intensification is expected...with an increased potential for tornadoes.

The leading line of storms will move east southeast through the entire area by 3 pm. However...the potential exists for strong straight-line winds to persist for an hour or two behind the line of storms.

From the NWS Paducah

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
To our Cyburbian friends who inhabit both sides of the Ohio River valley......stay safe tonight......the weather looks scary.
_____

72F today in NW Ohio......rain and 55F on Saturday.....back to clear skies and low 60F range on Sunday. Typical.

Bear

newbieplanner

Cyburbian
It's beginning to feel like the Pacific Northwest in good ol' Virginia. Rain rain and more rain! We're already one inch above normal rainfall for May. Once it hits June, the heat index is the law of the land and the grass dies because there is no rain. I always have at least a raincoat, sweater, and shorts in my car at all times. You never know what the weather will truly be like.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions:
90 °F (32 °C)
Humidity: 63%
Dewpoint: 76 °F (24 °C)
Heat Index: 102 °F (39 °C) :-c

zman

Cyburbian
I have been dodging hail, t-storms, heavy rain and tornado warnings for about the past 2-3 weeks.
I think we're finally drying out and getting to our dry heat, but it has been an adventure for a while. Seems Colorado is climbing out of the drought and back to its weather ways of old- hot mornings forming strong storms over the mountains, quick storms rolling over the high plains. Ah yes. It is back.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have tickets for the Tigers v the Brewers on both Friday night and Saturday afternoon and currently there seems to be a pretty good chance of a significant rain delay or cancellation of both games... There could be a lot of time spent in the bars downtown while waiting for the weather to clear this weekend! :r:

Rygor

Cyburbian
I got woken up for the second time in a week by severe thunder and lightning. Of course it was about 40 minutes before my alarm would be going off so I lost out on any chance to go back to sleep. One lightning strike was probably within a block of my house as it was EXTREMELY bright and the thunder was instant and ear-splitting. Luckily my trees were okay, though can't speak for the neighbors.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Got pounded with about four waves of severe thunderstorms on Friday. The first hit around 3am, with heavy rain & high winds and lots of lightning, the next one hit about 9am with heavy rain, high winds, hail, and funnel clouds, another one hit at 11:30am with rain & wind, and the last one hit around 7pm with heavy rain & strong winds. At one point on Friday evening, the entire Chicago metropolitan area was under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. The 9am storm prompted a Tornado Warning in my area, due to the funnel clouds, which forced everyone at our work into the basement. Also, an afternoon event our town put on had to be canceled due to torrential flooding at the site...I helped make that decision. The storm at 7pm, I had to drive through. I had my windshield wipers on full-blast for about 10 minutes straight and gripped the steering wheel for dear life. All in all, we got about 4 inches of rain on Friday.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
It was really hot today.

DSC00119_2_.JPG

We cooled off by teh pool.

DSC00120_3_.JPG

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
How long til ZG finds you posted a pic of her bubbies. You're gonna get it.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Heat Advisory from 12 Monday to 9 pm Tuesday.
Current Heat Index 102.

At least I am not in St Louis, they are under an Excessive Heat Warning,
until 7pm Wednesday
WHERE AFTERNOON HEAT INDICES COULD CLIMB AS HIGH AS 110 DEGREES.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It was really hot today.

DSC00119_2_.JPG

Looks like you've got a bit of a cold front going through. Meanwhile, here in Austin ...

2pq282h.jpg

That's 43°C.

Once I got the car moving, it dropped to 104°F. Yes, the temperature display is accurate; it's usually just a degree or two plus or minus the current temperature on local radio.

I want to go back to Buffalo!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today was a balmy 72F in NJ with intermittent showers. More of the same until Thursday which is forecast to have one day of sunshine and then back to more of the same.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Apparently an EF1 tornado touched down in Woodstock, IL on Friday evening, which is only about 8 miles north of me. Uprooted trees, took out a wall, and took the roof of a building. This week, we're expecting our first 90 degree readings of the year.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Looks like you've got a bit of a cold front going through. Meanwhile, here in Austin ...

2pq282h.jpg

That's 43°C.

Once I got the car moving, it dropped to 104°F. Yes, the temperature display is accurate; it's usually just a degree or two plus or minus the current temperature on local radio.

Sure, but were you parked in the shade? 102 d. here at 2:30 p.m., in the shade. I never saw temps like that in central FL my whole life, over 100 miles south of here...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

2pq282h.jpg

That's 43°C.

Just remember-it's a dry heat.:r::-c;):not: We're stuck in the upper 90's low 100's with no rain until the weekend.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
It's a bright sunny day here, with temps expected in the high 70's. We may break 80 tomorrow, but it looks to be another fine week in Oregon... :h:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

2pq282h.jpg

Dan, you may want to get your car looked at... your check engine light is on! ;)

It's supposed to be in the 90s and upper 80s most of this week here in metro Detroit. We don't have it as bad as you folks in the triple-digits, but this weather does make me wish that the old folks who live in the house next door would come home from wherever they have been since we moved in and open their pool and do the neighborly thing and invite us over!