• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

boiker

Cyburbian
I checked the NWS and saw the plains, midwest and deep south stewing in horrible heat humidity. Makes me happy that today's 107 will feel like 97 here in AZ.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I checked the NWS and saw the plains, midwest and deep south stewing in horrible heat humidity. Makes me happy that today's 107 will feel like 97 here in AZ.
From the NWS Glossary - http://www.weather.gov/wwamap-prd/faq.php
Heat Advisory - heat index of at least 105°F but less than 115°F for less than 3 hours per day, or nighttime lows above 80°F for 2 consecutive days.

Excessive Heat Warning - heat index of at least 105°F for more than 3 hours per day for 2 consecutive days, or heat index more than 115°F for any period of time.

What a difference :r: either is just equally miserable. need a sweating sauna icon here.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions

Fair - 96 °F (36 °C)
Humidity: 49 %
Wind Speed: W 15 G 22 MPH
Barometer: 29.70" (1005.6 mb)
Dewpoint: 74 °F (23 °C)
Heat Index: 107 °F (42 °C) :-c

My teeth a sweating.

zman

Cyburbian
Hot and suprisingly humid here on the High Plains. Still dodging almost daily tornado warnings, etc.
More on the way right now. I'm heading home. :-c

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's 80F with 60% humidity. There was just a passing shower.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Storm Damage

We had some nasty weather come through the area last Tursday during the day. Nothing bad happened at my office or at my home (not even much rain to speak of), but about 14 miles east and a mile north, my sister's neighborhood got hit particularly hard.

I don't know how to post it on Cyburbia, but the link to the story below has a video from their subdivision (of the two videos, it's the one with the icon that shows a picture of a house and a lamp post). http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/weather/090625_severe_storms

In the video, there is a picture of a house obscurred by all the fallen trees and all you can see is a blue awning... that's her house. Oh, and the shiney red Cadillac that they mention was also hers. Was being the opperative word.

All together, the estimate of damages to their home was about $75k (roof had three large holes, attic flooded, ceiling partiall collapsed, water damage in multiple bedrooms, carpet destroyed, every upstairs window broke...) and it sounds like her Cadillac which was only a few months old is going to be a total loss. They also lost every tree in their backyard (they had about 3 or 4 very tall poplars) and most of the limbs off of the trees in the front yard.

I went over to their house to check out things for myself on Sunday afternoon and driving into their subdivision was simply astonishing. Every single house we passed had either a large tree (or multiple trees) down and their were limbs and debris everywhere. Many of the homes had pieces of blue tarps on their roofs, but my sister's roof was totally covered by a tarp. There were also many broken windows throughout the sub, but every upstairs window at their house was boarded up. There were piles of yard waste, brush, and branches stacked up in front of every house and you could barely drive down the streets because there were lawn and tree service people parked in front of most of the houses (I guess the previous two days the streets were totally lined with contractors.

No pictures unfortunately, but the video in the link should give a good idea of the damage done.

It just amazes me that just a few miles away, there was virtually nothing.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Crap-I just noticed that it broke 100 again today.:not:8-! Sad part about it, I didn't notice until I read the time and temp.8-!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I'm getting really sick of the heavy rain and thunder we've had every day here since the beginning of the week. :-{ A lot of roads have flooded... the small duck pond at the farm up the street now covers more than half of their property.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It's been cloudy and cool all week. Temps in the 60s, but feels much colder with the lack of sunshine. So depressing. So much for global warming

I think it's from this air-mass in Canada and the Northeast that keeps creating clouds in the Midwest. Canada can keep their frickin' clouds, as far as I'm concerned.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
So much for global warming.

Don't worry, we've got your global warming. Here is the Dallas 7 day forecast. BTW, it's already 95 at 11:30 a.m.

2dha3oz.jpg

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It's been cloudy and cool all week. Temps in the 60s, but feels much colder with the lack of sunshine. So depressing. So much for global warming

I think it's from this air-mass in Canada and the Northeast that keeps creating clouds in the Midwest. Canada can keep their frickin' clouds, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey, I want to thank my Canuckistanian friends for their generosity. I LOVE this weather!! This is the best import from Canada since ... well, Neill Young, I guess.:D

:canada::canada::canada::canada:

zman

Cyburbian
In the 90s. Hot.

A strange isolated T-Storm settled in over my house around 11pm. Woke me up and shut the power for a while.

Richmond Jake

Current conditions:

96.4 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 77 °F
Wind: 7.3 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 7.3 mph
Pressure: 30.04 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 112 °F :-c
Visibility: 10.0 miles

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
AIB Gedunker & illinoisplanner

At 11:54 it was only 73 °F with forecast high mid 80's and lows in the 60 for the next couple of days. :)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Hey, I want to thank my Canuckistanian friends for their generosity. I LOVE this weather!! This is the best import from Canada since ... well, Neill Young, I guess.:D

:canada::canada::canada::canada:

I agree. The weather this week has been great for letting me run outside. I would much rather run in light rain or overcast weather and temps in the 60s as opposed to the upper-80s with 80% humidity! Plus it has been cool enough to allow me to reseed a couple of bare spots in the back yard without having to worry about it getting burnt up in the afternoon soon.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
At Louisville, the temp right now is 20C/68F under mostly cloudy skies. We are likely to smash the record low for this date. Man, I love this -- too bad it'll be back to the upper 80s by late in the week with high humidity to go along with it.:not:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the NWS -
on Friday the 17th, the high of 77 degrees broke the old record coolest high of 79 degrees, set in 1911.

Lowest high temps on record are 78(1938) broken with a 72 and 74(1924) on the 18th and 19th, respectively.

Lowest low temps on record are 53(1930), 56(1984) and 53(1947) on the 18th, 19th and 20th, respectively

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Still cool. Jeans & sweatshirt weather was experienced on Friday. I'm not even kidding. Saturday was still a little cool too. And this is mid-July we're talking about. Chicago just recorded its 2nd coldest first half of July.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Low 70's for highs, here in Indianapolis this weekend, felt more like late September. Great weekend to keep the windows open. I love this weather, thank you Canada for the temperatures (not so much for the clouds).:canada: Indianapolis is so far recording the second coolest July on record, not one 90 degree day, and only one day with above normal temps. Our nice cool summer is due in part to the awful heat they are having to the west of us. Weeks on end with over 100 degrees some of the family is at in San Antonio. :-c

I am sure the heat will be back with vengence just in time for the State Fair in 3 weeks. :-{

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
We had some clear, wet liquid fall from large, dark objects in the sky yesterday. What is that stuff? Somebody said that old-timers called it rain but nobody here remembers what that looked like.

Jazzman

Cyburbian
You know I have to admit, it's hard to believe in global warming when temperatures in Alabama in July are dropping down into the friggin 50s :D.

Seriously though.........Birmingham and Huntsville both posted record lows over the weekend (59 degrees at both locations). That NEVER happens in the Deep South during this time of year. Usually we don't dip below 70-75 degrees any time from Memorial Day until Labor Day. It's not uncommon to have temps well into the 80s or even low 90s well into the overnight hours............and yet many parts of the South have experienced temps in the mid to upper FIFTIES throughout the weekend, with daytime highs only in the low 80s. Right now it's 81 degrees in Birmingham and it feels HEAVENLY. Low humidity too.

Planit

Cyburbian
matched record low of 62 this morning and it was 67 both weekend mornings (at 7:00 am). high today is 78 and is in the low 80s the rest of the week. enjoying this now because you know summer ain't over and it wil be hot again. need some of that clear liquid from the skies...

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cool July

Maynard G. Krebs (sic?) would be saying, "Like, cool...man."

On pace for NW Ohio to have the coolest July on record. This is fine with me! This is like an "up north" July. Love it. :l::l::l:

It was odd.....sitting on the patio at the Grand Rapids, MI, bar.....mid-July, mid-afternoon......some of the folks were near shivering.

Gonna be warmer in mid-week and back to cooler by the weekend.

And......except for a few days (today included).....it has been sunny.

Bear

Richmond Jake

For the next two days, our forecast morning lows are in the mid-60's. Total uncharacteristic for the end of July here on the panhandle.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Local tv news story about "cold air funnels"
http://www.14wfie.com/global/story.asp?s=10751795

Had you ever heard of them before ? I had not.

Oh yeah, they can occur quite frequently, although many go un-noticed. I remember my class had a end-of-the-year picnic in 7th grade at a park, and someone saw a funnel cloud and it caused a big scare, and so we headed back into the bus and back to school very quickly. Turned out to be just a harmless cold air funnel.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rain Dance

Finally some rain is falling on the parched fields of NW Ohio. No doubt that the farmers hereabouts are dancing the "wet soil jig". This rain will certainly help the soybeans and corn. But.....there are problems in River City....and they start with a "P"......

The "P" is for peaches. NW Ohio has many orchards....primarily apple and peach. A combination of great soil, normally plentiful moisture, and weather conditions that are greatly influenced by our location at the west end of Lake Erie, makes this area a natural for apples and peaches.

The peach crop is in trouble. The unusual weather conditions of Summer 09 have stymied the peaches. In Swanton, the big orchard on the west side is peddling peaches from Michigan orchards. :-c

BTW......I love peaches. I would moonwalk for a slice of warm peach pie. :l:

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We had a big thunderstorm start up around 5 this morning. I can usually sleep thru thunder, but not this storm. It ended up knocking the cable/internet off for a few hours. Luckily it passed thru fairly quickly and I was able to get back to sleep. I do need my beauty sleep!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Middle of summer - yesterday morning and this morning its below 65 degrees.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well, we just went through the 3rd coolest July in Toledo history. One or two more cooler days would have made it the coolest ever. I loved it! Not a fan of the hot stuff. Also, the air conditioning has not been operating so much. Nice.

Toledo only has had two 90F+ degrees this summer. None in July. Usually have about a dozen.

Toledo Express Airport is actually about 15-18 miles from the CBD. The National Weather Service office is located at the airport and takes the readings there. About (SWAG) 10% of the readings taken will be dramatically different from temps in the CBD. Downtown Toledo is just a few miles from Lake Erie and days with a strong and cool east wind will jam sig different temps between CBD and Toledo Express.

Keeping my bruinish fingers (claws) crossed......hoping for a cool August, also.

Bear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here in Central NJ....

June: Highest temperature-87F, 6.56" rain
July: Highest temperature-88F, 9.57" rain

We've already gotten 1.65" rain just today by 2pm and it's supposed to keep raining into the night :-c. It's been a cool and drippy summer 'round here.

CJC

Cyburbian
Started our August gloom a little early here, with highs in the high 50's over the last week and a half, and the feeling of "walking through a cloud" until 10am and then again starting at 6pm each day. Hopefully this means our generally awesome September and October weather come early this year too. Still, there's something that I do like about August weather here. At the very least it's cool to tell people from other places about days where the high is five degrees or less warmer than the low for the day - couple days ago the high was 57 and the low was 54 :)

I'm going to Sacramento next weekend, so it's pretty likely that over the course of a 90 mile trip I might experience a 50 degree temperature change, assuming it gets back up into the low 100's out there.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Chicago recorded its 2nd coldest July on record and Rockford just recorded its coldest July ever. And the first week of August doesn't look to top 85 degrees either.

I don't think we've seen a 90 degree reading since June. It's been weird. Oh...and the grass hasn't turned brown yet.

If we could keep these temperatures right around 75-80 degrees all the way through the end of September, I'll be happy as a clam.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Hey Gedunker - really how bad was the rain and resulting flooding ? :-c:-o

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Hey Gedunker - really how bad was the rain and resulting flooding ? :-c:-o

We got 6" in 90 minutes during rush hour this morning, mixed with winds in excess of 60mph, and dangerous lightning. Another 1.5" fell mid-afternoon. More, and thankfully lighter rain expected this evening. After already getting more than 15" in the last two months, the ground is saturated and couldn't handle the downpour. Flooding is extreme throughout the Lou Metro/southern Indiana.

It could be worse: I've got a BZA meeting that's still on as scheduled tonight.:)

Rygor

Cyburbian
We got 6" in 90 minutes during rush hour this morning, mixed with winds in excess of 60mph, and dangerous lightning. Another 1.5" fell mid-afternoon. More, and thankfully lighter rain expected this evening. After already getting more than 15" in the last two months, the ground is saturated and couldn't handle the downpour. Flooding is extreme throughout the Lou Metro/southern Indiana.

It could be worse: I've got a BZA meeting that's still on as scheduled tonight.:)
We got part of that same storm system this morning. Flew in with gusts up to 80 mph and then was over by 11:30. Tons of tree branches down and I even saw a tree on a side street that broke off and crushed a car!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Off the scale: The linked MAP shows our 24-hr rainfall total of 7.04 inches for 4 August 2009. (I'm on the north side of the decimal point in 7.04.) Most rain ever recorded in 24 hours for an August day in Louisville and more than twice the average monthly rainfall for August.

Came durned close to breaking off into the Ohio River and attaching ourselves to JNA's outpost.8-!

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This morning was icky sticky and you could see the water vapor hanging in the air. Of course I took the train to work today which meant that I sat outside for 10 minutes waiting for the train and had a 15 minute walk in it to the office. Let's not talk about what my hair looks like after that. :not:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Near the UofL during yesterday's epic rain. I don't think either one of 'em is too bright.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E4knBEv1Jtc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E4knBEv1Jtc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Good sleeping temps with the windows open. :)

Sunday 10 PM - 64, 6 AM - 56
Saturday 10 PM - 67, 6 AM - 60

Forecast for the next couple of nights is high 50's.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Peep

Speaking of August.....it is late August and I have noticed a few trees that are starting to get some color. Sure, a number of factors involved with the annual color change......temperatures, geographical location, type of tree, moisture and rainfall over the summer, yadda.

Not much color.....but if you seek you will peep.

The main color change starts up north in early-to-mid-September and moves south week-by-week. Usual main color change time here in NW Ohio is mid-to-late October.

PS - Nice sleeping weather here, too. :D

Bear

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Good sleeping temps with the windows open. :)

Sunday 10 PM - 64, 6 AM - 56
Saturday 10 PM - 67, 6 AM - 60

Forecast for the next couple of nights is high 50's.

I know, the onset of fall IMO is usually the best time of year for having the windows open (yeah, I know the 'onset' isn't for a few weeks but most years we get a 'preview of coming attractions' sometime around late Aug/early Sept.).

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
55 this morning in Central Indiana, with some low's 50's in the outlying areas. Had the windows open last night, it was almost chilly when I got out of bed this morning. Back in the 80's today, but the heat will become less common over the next month. We MAY be done with the 90's for the year (although they were pretty rare this summer).

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
A Sun-Drenched Summer In NW Ohio

Even though the steady rain is splashing against my computer desk window, NW Ohio has been relatively dry and quite sunny for most of the summer of 2009. All summer long it seemed that we would have six or seven sunny days, followed by a cloudy day, followed by a rainy day. And the same thing would start again.

The farmers love it because the rain seems to come just-in-the-soybean-nick-of-time. I have never seen our grass this tall and this green in early September. Most summers around these parts include a good number of cloudy days. Not so this year.

And the temperatures have been mild. Just the way I like it. Ahh, hah.

Bear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even though the steady rain is splashing against my computer desk window, NW Ohio has been relatively dry and quite sunny for most of the summer of 2009. All summer long it seemed that we would have six or seven sunny days, followed by a cloudy day, followed by a rainy day. And the same thing would start again.

The farmers love it because the rain seems to come just-in-the-soybean-nick-of-time. I have never seen our grass this tall and this green in early September. Most summers around these parts include a good number of cloudy days. Not so this year.

And the temperatures have been mild. Just the way I like it. Ahh, hah.

Bear

It's rained like crazy here in NJ over the summer and really didn't get hot until the tail end of August. Even now it's only in the 70s and fall is right around the corner.