• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
It's going to be 100 degrees today. This state has no concept of "seasons"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Dallas TX area Cyburbians -
Q. How bad is the rain and flooding ?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
yanno, these "seasons" called fall and spring. Unheard of around here for about 5 years now.

If the news is to be trusted, it seems Cali seasons are Fire and Not Fire, and that's about it.;)

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Hasn't rained since the 27th here in Chicago (the 29th had .01") and rain isn't in the forecast for over a week. I have no idea what the record is but this seems to be a pretty long stretch of dry weather.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Dallas TX area Cyburbians -
Q. How bad is the rain and flooding ?

My area is on Day 4 of rain. My backyard alternates between swampy and shallow creek, with lots of mud. I hate it, because I've got two injured dogs :w: with bandages that are supposed to stay dry. Hard to do right now . . .
Areas of south Dallas are flooding, with street closures and restricted access going on. The pumps are supposedly working, but evidently they can't keep up with the rainfall, much less 4 days of it. Houses are flooded, too.
More rain all day today predicted, then scattered for the next two days. We need a giant, industrial-strength dryer out here!

Bubba

Cyburbian
Things are kind of wet here in the ATL...

Looks like we've caught a break in my part of the metro area this morning - likely won't get any more rain until this afternoon (I'll take a few hours with no rain after eight or nine straight days of it). No flooding at Chez Bubba, and no road closures any closer that two or three miles from here, but I do have some friends and co-workers with water/flood-damaged houses and work places.

I've lived in metro Atlanta for 20 years now, I don't remember anything even close to this.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Finally had a few days of no rain in my area. Yard didn't quite dry out completely, but the dogs didn't sink into the mud when going out. Yesterday it got up to 92 in the afternoon, but with wind.
Then last night more rain/thunderboomers brought the temps way down, and today it's downright cool outside. Not supposed to get above the low 70's all day! :D

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Welcomes fall with open arms and a 100 degree weather day :r: I hate the Central Valley

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Things are kind of wet here in the ATL...

Looks like we've caught a break in my part of the metro area this morning - likely won't get any more rain until this afternoon (I'll take a few hours with no rain after eight or nine straight days of it). No flooding at Chez Bubba, and no road closures any closer that two or three miles from here, but I do have some friends and co-workers with water/flood-damaged houses and work places.

I've lived in metro Atlanta for 20 years now, I don't remember anything even close to this.

Looks nasty up there. All the best to you folks.

On the positive side, I hope it fills your damn reservoir, Lake Lanier, so the Chattahoochee River can continue a good rate of flow into the the Apalachilcola because one of your sewage treatment plants has failed and is dumping raw poop into the river. Could have a big impact on the Apalachilcola Bay shellfish beds.

When are you folks going to plan for a long-term water supply source so we don't suffer from your short-sightedness? :r:

The One

Cyburbian
Hmm.....

I haven't seen rain in weeks....come to think of it, my skin's a little dry....time for some lotion;)

fringe

Cyburbian
We live in the "rain shadow" of the Appalachians, and lucked out this week.

Only 5.05 inches in seven days, every one with precip.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tornado Watch until 3am for the Kentucky counties just across the river.

This tornado watch area extends from Abilene, TX to Fort Smith, AR to Owensboro, KY.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rainy day in NW Ohio. All year long we have been enjoying many days of sunshine, followed by a rainy day, followed by more days of sunshine. It has been very regular.

The rain forecast for Monday includes a mention of "possible" snowflakes. Typical.

Bear

zman

Cyburbian
Hey zmanPLAN - how much snow is on the ground ? :-c :-o

I have about 15 inches and it is still snowing...

....I am also on the lesser side of accumulation.

Of course, work is still open and I am the only one here to answer calls :-x:-@

Here come the plowing complaints. :-@

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I have about 15 inches and it is still snowing...

....I am also on the lesser side of accumulation.

Of course, work is still open and I am the only one here to answer calls :-x:-@

Here come the plowing complaints. :-@

And why aren't you out plowing instead of sitting on your duff in a warm office? You know that's what a real public servant would be doing don't you? Oh...you still need to man the front desk too, that's part of the job.;)

Señor Plow no es macho,
Es solamente un borracho...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
According to our local NWS office:

Precipitation:
YESTERDAY 0.02"
MONTH TO DATE 6.12"
SINCE SEP 1 11.82"
SINCE JAN 1 49.15"

That's 3.64 inches above normal for October, and 12.42 inches above normal for the year. The forecast: possibly heavy rains Friday and Saturday.

Now, where did I leave that boat?:not:

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Why is annual precipitation always reported on a calendar year basis? It seems to me that reporting on a rolling 12 month total would be a more accurate representation of how much precipitation there has been. It's not like all that stored groundwater and surface water just disappears at midnight on December 31st.

Richmond Jake

Clear with a high of 90 degrees F here on the panhandle today. Currently 80 degrees next to the pool at the love shack. :h:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
75 and sunny in November here in the Ohio River Valley.

Windows open.

Richmond Jake

Spent some time by the pool today. But it looks likes that bitch tropical storm Ida is going to play havoc with my golf game on Wednesday (Veterans Day). This is too late in the season and the Gulf water is too cold. WTH?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was about 50 here today and windy. I dislike cold weather.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It's Wisconsin. November 7th. We have all the windows and doors open this late in the evening. The Siberian Husky is not amused.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's 70 here today, vast improvement over yesterday.

Richmond Jake

In November?!?!

We're under a hurricane warning. Ida is now a category 2. We're going to have a wet week.

Richmond Jake

Do you think I just fell off the turnip truck? I know the season ends at the end of November. This is my fifth hurricane season in Florida, I'm trained to serve in the EOC, and married to a woman who was born and raised in Florida. I'm not an expert, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express...not last night, but at some point in my life.

November hurricanes in the Gulf are rare. Here's a linky.

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?nav=main&webtag=WFOR_Dbernard&entry=298

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My Bad. :-$

I should have started with a SAW.

[OT] You might have not fallen from the turnip truck but how about a golf cart ? :D [/OT]

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
RJ i was thinking of you and ZG when I saw Ida's track. Thank goodness she's gonna be a weak one, but still...

Richmond Jake

[OT] You might have not fallen from the turnip truck but how about a golf cart ? :D [/OT]

That happened on the golf trip to Hilton Head SC a few years ago. The severe storm alarms went off while we were playing on Indigo Run. I fell out of the cart in the parking lot. As far as I can tell, there have been no long lasting effects. But I could be wrong. :not: :-|

RJ i was thinking of you and ZG when I saw Ida's track. Thank goodness she's gonna be a weak one, but still...

Thanks. But nonetheless, we're making preparations. I'm off to Sam's for wine and water tomorrow during my lunch break. We'll be ready.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
That happened on the golf trip to Hilton Head SC a few years ago. The severe storm alarms went off while we were playing on Indigo Run. I fell out of the cart in the parking lot. As far as I can tell, there have been no long lasting effects. But I could be wrong. :not: :-|

Thanks. But nonetheless, we're making preparations. I'm off to Sam's for wine and water tomorrow during my lunch break. We'll be ready.

EXCELLENT! I assume the water is for the kiddo :)

Richmond Jake

EXCELLENT! I assume the water is for the kiddo :)

[ot] Would somebody please straighten this guy out?
Now there's an interesting play on words... ;) [/ot]

We'll know more in the next 24 hours. Planderella and the rest of you west of us, stay dry and stay safe.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wild November

Planderella, RJ, ZG......stay loose, keep informed, buy water and wine. Hexx, who needs food and batteries? :-c;)

October in NW Ohio was considerably cooler than normal. But the last few days have been 20 degrees above normal. It was 71F in Swanton on Sunday, high 60Fs on Saturday. Starting to move back toward normal today, although the move will take a few days.

A few years ago we had a very warm and stormy Sunday in mid-November. I remember it well because I was at Frogtown Johnny's Bar with some friends, watching the Pittsburgh Steelers play to a TIE with (if I remember correctly) Atlanta. The power went out as the storms rumbled through and we had to listen to game updates from a friend on a cell phone, talking to somebody with power. :-c

That same storm was a focus of a special on the Weather Channel. At a movie theater in Van Wert, OH (NW Ohio) the tornado tore the building apart, including depositing automobiles in the very seats that people had been sitting. The proper emergency actions of the theater employees saved some lives.

As for this wild November weather......the Upper Peninsula has been above normal for a few days, also. Those folks normally start to see the lake-effect snowstorms at this time of the year.

Less than 3 weeks until Thanksgiving. Mewonders what Turkey Weekend will be like?

Bear

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Absolutely beautiful here in Central IL this weekend. Near 70 on Friday, with low 70's on Saturday and Sunday, can't beat hat for early November. Had the windows open this weekend, it was perfect.

This week it will cool a bit, back to the upper 50's, which is still about 5 degrees above normal. I am sure we will pay for this wonderful weather, and I bet it will be over Thanksgiving weekend :not: