• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Rygor

Cyburbian
Here in Illinois we're stuck in this neverending low pressure system so have been getting dumped on by rain for almost the past 3-4 days straight. Total of almost 3.5 inches in that time. Slow and steady it never ends..... :not:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Flash flood warning
Coastal floor warning
High surf warning

We're in for a nasty night into tomorrow mid-day here on the panhandle.

Planit

Cyburbian
Flash flood warning
Coastal floor warning
High surf warning

We're in for a nasty night into tomorrow mid-day here on the panhandle.

RJ - saw a tornado this morning heading towards your deskfort according to the Weather Channel - you okay?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
It's snowing here!!! Granted, the ground is too warm for it to stick, but there is plenty of wet white stuff coming out of the sky!

I wish people here would learn to drive in snowy conditions. You know, turning on your headlights, not driving 20 mph on the highway during rush hour, not tailgating, things like that.:-@

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
It's snowing here!!! Granted, the ground is too warm for it to stick, but there is plenty of wet white stuff coming out of the sky!

I wish people here would learn to drive in snowy conditions. You know, turning on your headlights, not driving 20 mph on the highway during rush hour, not tailgating, things like that.:-@

The snow was sticking to the ground up here, Sal. Not enough accumulation to make a snow man, but probably a snow angel.

Richmond Jake

RJ - saw a tornado this morning heading towards your deskfort according to the Weather Channel - you okay?

We ended our second tornado warning this morning a few minutes ago. No reports of damage--I don't think anything touched down. The watch lasts until 10:00 this morning--about another 45 minutes.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We're supposed to get our first snowfall of the season tonight - forecast is for up to an inch of the stuff, but I doubt it will stick.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
How are our southern tier Cyburbia members coping with the snow? Houston, apparently, may see up to 4" in some places and even Mobile might get an inch.:-o

Y'all are real good at handling this stuff, right?;)

Veloise

Cyburbian
View out my home office window this morning.
tree.jpg

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
How are our southern tier Cyburbia members coping with the snow? Houston, apparently, may see up to 4" in some places and even Mobile might get an inch.:-o

I'm preparing myself mentally to deal with the morons that don't understand that snow is not that exciting or scary. These people can barely drive in the rain.:-|:not::r:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Snow!

2937yur.jpg

Snow!

b5iagx.jpg

Snow!, and an out-of-place object on a side street in a Ye Olde Quainte Uppere Middle Classe Suburbe somewhere in the Great Lakes region ...

tasxt3.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The snow held off a long time this year. We had one of the warmest Novembers on record and just got our first snowfall starting yesterday. We've got maybe an inch so far.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

We might be getting a whole inch tonight that will melt off by sunrise. The newspapers are making a big deal of it, but that's about it.:r:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Winter storm warning starts at noon, although its been snowing since before I woke up today. Gased up the car and did the obligatory grocery run. A foot of snow is expected with blizzard / white out conditions this evening. Wind chills dipping to -20 tomorrow.

It's good to be back home :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If Chet is getting shellacked with a foot of snow and blizzard conditions I guess I'd better check the weather radar, cuz that can't be more than a half day away from here...plus lake effect snow!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
North Central Illinois got about 6 inches of snow. Rain mixed in briefly last night, so that has greatly lessened the chance for blizzard conditions when the wind picks up today. The temperature is supposed to drop like a rock. A low of 1 is forecast for tonight with a high of 10 tomorrow. Still under a winter storm warning through tonight.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Man, it's cold!! We're about 30 degrees below average this morning, and will be about 20 degrees below this afternoon. The high today is in the mid 30's.

Some people still water their lawns with automatic sprinklers this time of year. The ice in the alley and street is their fault! :-@

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
North Central Illinois got about 6 inches of snow. Rain mixed in briefly last night, so that has greatly lessened the chance for blizzard conditions when the wind picks up today. The temperature is supposed to drop like a rock. A low of 1 is forecast for tonight with a high of 10 tomorrow. Still under a winter storm warning through tonight.

The tail end of the winter storm system is now reaching my area. Moderate snow is falling, it's quite windy, and I can barely see 1/4 mile down the road outside my window. A mini-blizzard if you will. I doubt it will last too much longer, but it's probably going to be enough to make the evening commute tricky. Thankfully I have nothing to do today. I expect we'll probably get another 1-2 inches before it's all said and done.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The snow has ended and we ended up with about 7 inches here in North Central Illinois. And now it is freezing cold outside.

The low last night: -3
The low wind chill this morning: -25
The high today: 5

Winter has come early this year.

Planit

Cyburbian
Enjoyed a fine morning of the famed "Wintry Mix" including rain, sleet and snow.

Local TV is predicting 3"-6" of snow by tomorrow morning
Weather Channel 8"-12"
National Forecast 12"-16"

I don't know what to think, except the schools already closed around 10:00 am.

I also expect there won't be any golf for us tomorrow.:-xHey RJ, when's your tee time?

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
Snow in DC area--oh sh%#

Its supposed to snow in DC tomorrow. All the food stores are packed with people stocking up for the one day blizzard of the century. This happens every time there is a chance of snow in the DC area. I am staying home tomorrow, write Christmas cards ( I'm late this year), wrap my wife's presents ( If i can find them), watch movies some movies, drink some wine and watch it snow.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Maister.....Google and Bing make it so dang easy to find things. Looks like this is on Portage Road, between the two lakes, facing (obviously) West Lake. Gotta believe that that slice of lake property is worth a whole lot more than cash flow from a drive-in restaurant. Surpised to see it not gobbled.

NW Ohio is missing the biggie snow storm. We are expecting about an inch of the white stuff. Mildest and virtually snow-free November and December that this ole' Bear can remember.

El Nino, baby.

:D

Bear

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio is missing the biggie snow storm. We are expecting about an inch of the white stuff. Mildest and virtually snow-free November and December that this ole' Bear can remember.

El Nino, baby.

:D

Bear

Milwaukee (close to Lake Michigan for the lake effect warmth) is snow-free as well. 15 miles inland it'll be a white christmas.

Planit

Cyburbian
In my part of NC we had 7 inches and would have been much more, but it changed to sleet around 8:00 pm. Just 40 miles down the road got nothing.

Went sledding Friday night and built a snowman with Wee P. Saturday we went to my inlaws who have a great hill on their property and sledded for several hours. I drove the four-wheeled as a sled lift for one hour solid.

I understand the monutains got more than a foot.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Got 20 inches in my back yard over the weekend, Ive never seen so much of the white crap in my life...don't care if I ever do again. The snow is deeper than the dogs are so we had to shovel them out a spot to do their thing, but they dont seem to like the spot we picked:not:

Just about everyone is closed or opening late except our fine little city, what a mess the roads still are and the parking lot is an ice rink. Hey if the fire/inspections guys are still using chains on their tires maybe that should tell the higher ups the rest of us should be home safe and not in our dead offices.

Hey Dan can we get a flaming pile of dog crap smilie?

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
Got 20 inches in my back yard over the weekend, Ive never seen so much of the white crap in my life...don't care if I ever do again. The snow is deeper than the dogs are so we had to shovel them out a spot to do their thing, but they dont seem to like the spot we picked:not:

Just about everyone is closed or opening late except our fine little city, what a mess the roads still are and the parking lot is an ice rink. Hey if the fire/inspections guys are still using chains on their tires maybe that should tell the higher ups the rest of us should be home safe and not in our dead offices.

Hey Dan can we get a flaming pile of dog crap smilie?

I had 22 inches of snow on my patio table. Just think of it like white rain:lmao:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I feel for those of you in VA and NC with all that snow. I remember when I was in grad school in Chapel Hill, and it snowed like two or three inches. The buses stopped running, and I had to get a ride home from a friend who had a four-wheel drive vehicle. Even the local banks shut down. :-o

We don't have very much snow on the ground here in my area of upstate NY... just enough to make it slippery when I tried to take the dog for a walk today. :r: Next time I should wear skis and have her pull me along.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'm Dreaming Of A White, Er...Wet Christmas

Here in NW Ohio we are going to escape the big center-of-the-country storm that is creating travel woes for millions of holiday motorists and sky-ists. We have a couple inches of snow on the ground but the temperatures near 40F the next couple days will probably do some erasing. The forecast is for rain, possibly heavy, on Christmas Day. Eventually the cold front will arrive, just as the moisture moves away. We may get some freezing rain changing to small amounts of snow, in the later part of Christmas Day.

I checked the weather for Duluth, MN. Blizzard warning for the next couple days. Probably get a couple feet of snow, high winds, plunging temperatures. BTW, Duluth is one of my favorite places. :)

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Here across Northern Illinois, we're getting everything from this winter storm. It began with wind yesterday morning, followed by an inch or two of snow and some sleet in the afternoon, culminating in freezing rain last night and this morning. Chicagoland is now under an Ice Storm Warning, with about a quarter inch of ice expected. The precip will change to rain this afternoon, and flood watches are now posted (due to the combination of melting snowcover and heavy rain). It will change back to snow during the evening of Christmas and continue through the weekend.

I hate mixed precipitation and especially freezing rain. :not:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, the day after Christmas we had a "surprise" snowstorm, if you will, which brought 10 inches of snow, much more than the inch or two originally expected. And yesterday, we saw another 8 inches of snow in Chicago's northwest suburbs, followed by wind at night and this morning. The snowpiles at the end of my driveway are becoming taller than the mailbox. Temperatures have been seasonally cold so far this winter, ranging from just below zero to the twenties.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Today in NW Ohio the ole' thermal-meter reached the mid 30F range. The temps the next few days will have highs in the upper 30F range to the lower 40F range. Unusual for mid-January, historically the coldest part of the year in these here parts. Our usual is about 30F for a high and 18F for a low. Within a couple weeks the daily average will start to climb.

Good news! I have noticed that the days are getting longer. I knew they were but it is starting to be noticeable.

Bad news! In five months the days will start getting shorter.

Oh my.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tied record for the duration of cold (sub-freezing) air. Brrrr :not:

Rank / Days / Year
6. (tie) 11 2010 ended Jan 12
6. (tie) 11 1968
6. (tie) 11 1936
6. (tie) 11 1899

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Tied record for the duration of cold (sub-freezing) air. Brrrr :not:

Rank / Days / Year
6. (tie) 11 2010 ended Jan 12
6. (tie) 11 1968
6. (tie) 11 1936
6. (tie) 11 1899

Interesting. Surprisingly, the record for Dallas is longer, 12 consecutive days of sub-freezing temperatures in 1983.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Interesting. Surprisingly, the record for Dallas is longer, 12 consecutive days of sub-freezing temperatures in 1983.
What I had listed was this year's record so far; the rest of the chart is as follows:

Rank / Days / Year
1. 18 2001
2. 17 1918
3. 16 1978
4. 14 1978
5. 13 1940

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
What I had listed was this year's record so far; the rest of the chart is as follows:

Rank / Days / Year
1. 18 2001
2. 17 1918
3. 16 1978
4. 14 1978
5. 13 1940

I did wonder why the rank column said 6. Still, it's surprising that there is so little difference given several hundred miles difference in latitude.

Richmond Jake

We've had more sub-freezing weather on the Florida panhandle this year (including 11 consecutive days ending last week), than we've had in the previous three years combined. Damn you, Al Gore.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Toledo & NW Ohio

Toledo has more below-freezing days than any other major city in Ohio. Lake Erie's affects only last a few miles inland (normal for this end of the big lake) and the temperature is taken at Toledo Express Airport (with a Swanton address and basically in a rural and forested area, unencumbered by urban heat). The airport is about 20 miles from the lake.

That being said, we are quite warm (relatively-speaking) today. Temps will reach into the mid-to-upper 40F range, with heavy rain most of the day. Back to normal on Monday, with the usual late-January temperatures.....high about 28F and low in the mid-teens.

Coupla weeks we will be talking "Groundhog(s)".
_____

The temperatures in the Upper Peninsula are considerably above-normal today (and have been for a few days). Mid-30F range. After the cold front slides thru today and tonight the YooPee will revert to a more normal pattern.....cold and snowy.

Bear

Planit

Cyburbian
Our weekend forecast:

High pressure will give way today as a cold front sweeps through the region late this afternoon and evening. It will not produce any precipitation, but will generate only a bit of cloudiness as it passes through the area. Relatively mild air ahead of the front will allow temperatures to soar well into 50s this afternoon.

Attention then turns quickly to developing low pressure in east Texas Friday morning. This storm system will take a classic track along the Gulf Coast as cold high pressure bleeds in from the north. If you've lived around here long enough, you know that this track is the model for heavy snowstorms in western North Carolina. This one looks no different.

Clouds lower and thicken on Friday, and snow will develop during mid-to-late afternoon and will become heavy tomorrow night. We expect mostly all-snow, although some sleet could mix in with the snow briefly at times. Snow will taper off to flurries during Saturday as skies clear Saturday night. When all is said and done, accumulations of 7-12 inches are expected.

Sunday will be dry but quite cold. No major warm-up is anticipated post-snowstorm, so several days of treacherous travel and schedule interruptions will be a good bet as we head into early next week. In fact, another weak weather system could produce a light wintry mix on Tuesday.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Clouds lower and thicken on Friday, and snow will develop during mid-to-late afternoon and will become heavy tomorrow night. We expect mostly all-snow, although some sleet could mix in with the snow briefly at times. Snow will taper off to flurries during Saturday as skies clear Saturday night. When all is said and done, accumulations of 7-12 inches are expected.

They are expecting snow/ice here in the Triangle, starting Friday night and into Saturday....its gonna get nasty here, hopefully the ice will stay away! I don't want to be stuck without power with lows dipping into the 10s at night! We are supposed to get a foot of snow and/or a half inch of ice...I'll take the former!

Last edited:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
It did look like JNA and Gedunker were going to be on the northern edge of a strong winter storm. Maybe not, huh?

Here in northern Ohio we are in the clear.....and very cold. Temps this morning when I went out to my rugged Tundra, started it up, and (due to the stuck accelerator drove at high speeds to the workplace :-c;)), were ZERO F. Big warm-up tonight.....only dropping to 2F.

:-c

Next week, back to the mid-30F range.....normal. (Night temps about 25F.)

Has anybody seen that groundhog?

Bear