• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Bitter cold here in upstate NY for the last 24-36 hours.

Interesting that parts of NC and VA have had more snow than we have this season, at least so far. We just get the cold temps. :(

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Bitter cold here in upstate NY for the last 24-36 hours.

Interesting that parts of NC and VA have had more snow than we have this season, at least so far. We just get the cold temps. :(

4 inches here last night, capping off with 6 hours of sleet :-o

The roads are going to be sooo icy, maybe no work monday as temps wont get above freezing to melt anything until the work week.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We had a very pleasant lake effect snow for the morning and early afternoon. Not enough to need shoveling - just enough to coat everything with fresh whiteness.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Here are our current conditions:

Overcast
43 °F (6 °C)
Humidity: 68%

It was colder and more humid when I tried to golf this morning (a 10:00 tee time). My play was suspended during the 6th hole. I couldn't grip a club, the tips of my fingers were blue and my back ached. The Man and I did not make the turn, unless you count turning into the parking lot and leaving.

I hate the combination of low temperatures and high humidity. It's the worst.

Planit

Cyburbian
After it started snowing on Friday about 4:00 pm - it continued (heavy at times) with a fine powder and we ended up with 10 inches of a beautiful snow. Sledding all weekend and a snowman.

Work is on a delay and will open at 11:00 am - however here it is 9:00 am and I'm already here. Guess I should have checked my email before leaving the house.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's just been super cold here this past week hovering in the 20s. We did get an odd dusting of snow last Thursday which created all sorts of problems on the central NJ highways since they weren't pre-treated and DOT was slow to respond. Can't wait until spring!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
10F on the way into work. If one more person says, "Where's this global warming we hear so much about" I think I might punch them in the throat.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Thursday was the first day of full sunshine in about a week and a half here in Central IL. The combination of the cold river and a slowly melting snow pack resulted in 9 days of low clouds and with officially 0 minutes of sunshine reported at the NWS. So far we are about nine inches of snow above normal this winter. In a normal winter season this area averages still another foot of snow, so winter is far from over here.

January was a cold month here with 12 days in a row with highs below 32 degrees. Nine nights were below zero.

P.S. I agree with you dandy I am so sick of people making snarky comments about global warming. :not: What is going on outside today or even this month is weather, what happens over a decade or longer is climate. A meteorologist back in Minnesota explained the difference this way: Weather is what you are wearing today, climate is the ratio of winter clothes to summer clothes you have in your closet.

Planit

Cyburbian
10F on the way into work. If one more person says, "Where's this global warming we hear so much about" I think I might punch them in the throat.

I heard a guy on the moring radio show say "Maybe after this winter Al Gore will shut up." I came real close to calling the radio station (which I never do), but instead I changed the station.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

It bugs the heck out of me as well. If you are going to make a dumb@#% comment at least have a basic understanding of the topic. Also get your information from something besides industry shills, political hacks, and Fox spews.:not::-{:-@:wall:

There room for legit discussion on this topic. I'm not a complete believer on the topic myself. However, I will admit my ignorance and not make assinine comments.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
BLIZZARD OF THE CENTURY COMING TO WASHINGTON D.C.!!!!

How about that global warming!!! :D

[OT]Straps on skis, tucks into aerodynamic position and begins to schuss rapidly away.[/OT]

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I really wish we'd get a blizzard! This has been such a mild winter. Only one snow worthy of firing up the snowblower. Only one week of bitter cold. 2 weeks ago we had green grass!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We got soaked again yesterday.:-c:wall: We had hard rain all day, complete with flood warnings. Well, I can't complain, its better than snow and sub freezing temps.:h::D

Veloise

Cyburbian
Wow, there's another huge dump predicted for the mid-Atlantic. Sorry, folks.
And parts of WVa with 20"?!? That pretty well immobilizes us here in the frozen tundra. Can't imagine how it would stall a warmer climate.

Planit

Cyburbian
We got two inches of snow overnight and then it chnaged to rain. Very slushy outside and the kids are out of school once again. They were out Monday & Tuesday and a 2-hour delay Wednesday & Thursday as well.

I'm at home with Wee P and one of her friends. yippee:r:

Just about twenty miles to the north of us had about six inches before it turned to rain/sleet. Twenty miles to the south, all rain.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Whimpers
They say we will get 20-28 inches or MORE here in DC over the next 24 hours. Folks are all wigged out about roofs and failures as this is a "warm" wet snow.

We already had a record breaking 20 inches in December so this is not fun. Snow, snow and more snow.

Folks will have to be laid off as the snow removal budget was shot in Dec and its snowed a metric butt load between Dec and this big one.

Time to break out the rum and pineapple juice.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Luckily, most of NC is just getting rain and sleet out of this system today and tomorrow, I had to dodge sleet on my way to work this morning because it was 34 degrees, just warm enough...sorry DC!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Looks like the system will switch over to snow from the current rain early this evening and we may end up with four inches. We got two inches last Friday: I have two kids who are angry at the weatherman for not getting this stuff here during the school week.:h:

Another system looks to come in Mon/Tues: perhaps they'll get their wish.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I am not gloating, just amused by this.

weather.jpg

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here in NW Ohio we are at the northern edge of the latest big storm. Might get a couple inches of snow. No biggie.

Should note that I did see my shadow the other day.

Bear

kms

Cyburbian
SW PA expects 8 - 16" of snow by tomorrow. It began as rain and quickly changed to a fast-falling snow. It's been snowing for about 4 hours. I just got home from picking up my Suburban at the garage, and the roads are bad.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here in NW Ohio we had about a 3 to 6 inch total snowfall. The southernmost parts of the region had the most. The Toledo total is measured near Swanton, at Toledo Express Airport. I believe the final total was 3 inches.

About 4:00 AM I took Molly outside to her doggie yard. Those 3 inches of snow had blown into a 2-foot drift by the anti-Cyburbian 2-story barn-shaped half-painted garage. It is quite windy.

And so am I.

Beat you to it.

Bear

kms

Cyburbian
State of emergency here. Judging from this side of the window, we have 1 1/2 feet of snow. I'm going outside now to take photos!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
As the storm passed through IN, here on the southern edge we got just a dusting.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I experienced the brunt of the snowstorm that struck Central Indiana on Friday night as my GF and I headed to Indianapolis to see her family. Right after passing Lafayette we experienced a 2 and a half hour delay on I-65 due to an accident. After we started up again we saw some sort of accident or abandoned vehicle an average of about one every mile. Traffic was at a crawl the rest of the way...I don't think we topped 50 mph and were doing about 30 mph most of the time. Indiana sucks at snow removal. It was only about 4-6 inches or so, but with the wind and everything, it made it pretty bad.

Another snowstorm is forecast to strike on Monday night...this one affecting Chicagoland too...with about 10 inches of snow expected.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Same big snowstorm that will roar through Chicagoland and Milwaukeeland will also place a powdery fist on Toledoland. Maybe not so much snow, though. We are expecting a storm total of about 8" to 12". It will be the biggest snowfall of the season. Still, nothing like some of the white stuff depths that many places have been reporting or expect.

The wind will be the problem, creating big drifts in the country. This Bear drives through barren farm land on the way to-and-fro the workplace. Looks like my 4WD will be clicked on.

Woo-hoo!

Bear

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Looks like Plannergirl and our other mid-atlantic Cyburbanites are going to get another wollop out of the storm we're getting right now. I hope ya'll have power (and heat or at least a fireflace) out there!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
We have well over 2 ft of snow on the ground and calling for another foot tonight into tomorrow.

The plow blades here are for the most part not large enough to push this kind of snow, there is no where to pile it so they are using front end loaders to try to stack crap higher and higher...I am scared of some of these small mountains could collapse on someone and have already seen one wreak of someone inching out to try to see traffic and their car getting hit pretty hard by oncoming traffic. OUCH!

Roofs are starting to give way, power has been out in some areas for 4 nights with more snow...I would be beyond freaked out.

Everyone is sick of snow, of shoveling and the parents who face a week of their kids being home are ready to scream! You know its bad when the mail says they wont deliver and the Feds close down.

NO MORE SNOW!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snowpocalypse II on tap for this evening and tomorrow. Coincidentally I need to go grocery shopping tonight :-{

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ventured out last night to get food in McLean...what a mess that was, there were areas I was not sure my Subaru could handle and G*d knows the luxury cars were not going anywhere. Astounding number of abandoned cars on the side of the road.

kms

Cyburbian
Snow began to fall (again) here. It's not sticking to the cleared surfaces, yet. It's falling steadily, like it did at the beginning of the last storm. It does affect my field time, but I'm pretty sure that no erosion is happening this week. And Digger thinks I'm militant about inspections. ;)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Learn to deal with it like we do in the Midwest.

More than a foot or more of snow on your roof should be shoveled off your house.

Put a very bright flag on your antenna if you can not see over the snowbank in your vehicle. Your antenna motor will more than likely have a small plug in that can be disconnected like a normal wall outlet while leaving the antenna working if it goes up and down on its own.

Always drive with your lights on.

Always remove the snow off of your vehicle so you are visible to other traffic.

Use light controlled intersections when possible. If not, then use sign controlled intersections where possible.

Shovel often and early.

Salt your sidewalks before it gets cold. It makes the ice rotten and easier to get up later or at least makes for a rumpled ice surface that is easier and safer to walk on.

create snow storage by throwing the first shovels full of snow further.

Take your heart pills well before starting to shovel.

Snow storms are the best time to drive drunk, nobody is on the road and those who are can't tell if your bad driving is caused by the bad weather or you are drunk! :6:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
About 7" here from the storm headed DC-way (sorry PG). Dry slot has passed and snow is falling again and a cold front is passing through: temps have fallen 4 degrees (F) in the last 45 minutes. Winds gusting to 30mph means blowing snow.

I imagine, as wimpy as they are here, school will likely be closed tomorrow too. HUD is here for an audit, though, so I'll be in the office to talk about affirmatively furthering fair housing.:h:

Jazzman

Cyburbian
We haven't gotten anything like what you all are dealing with in the Midwest or the Northeast. What has happened about once a week for the last month or two here in North Alabama is that we'll get anywhere from a 1-3" of snow in the morning, only to get another inch of rain in the afternoon. So 1-3" of snow + 1" of rain in one day equals one huge, slushy, sloppy mess. It's been an ugly winter, but certainly not anything compared to those nor'easters Baltimore and Washington have had to deal with.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's coming down pretty good and now it's started to blow around and is sticking to my window security grate and I can't see out of it anymore. Those of you on FB can see a couple of photos I posted. The commute will be interesting tomorrow...I might eat the train commute tomorrow instead of drive.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Based on how much snow I cleaned off my car this afternoon, we got about 3" here in upstate New York. I thought it was supposed to snow through the evening commute, but it stopped hours ago. Not even enough to go snowshoeing!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We had 2 days of continuous snow, but it only amounted to about 8". The wind has been rediculous though. The drift in our front yard is waste high, too much for the snow blower to do the service walk to the front door. Thankfully I kept up on the driveway -- damned suburban 30' wide 70' long driveway -- if i didn't snow blow 3 times before it ended we'd have been screwed.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
It's Snowing in Dallas!! Now if the natives would just figure out how to drive in it,:-c we would all get through the season.

Weatherman said 1-3 inches between midnight and lunchtime, then a tapering off a bit, then another 2-4 inches this evening and tonight. Overnight it will freeze.

Sometimes I'm glad for furlough days. I don't have to go to work in the morning! :D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
On NBC Today show, Al highlighted the town I grew up & where Mom still lives in NJ, reporting 17 inches of snow.
I called Mom to check in on her - she said had no trouble believing that amount.
She had not lost electricity.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
On NBC Today show, Al highlighted the town I grew up & where Mom still lives in NJ, reporting 17 inches of snow.
I called Mom to check in on her - she said had no trouble believing that amount.
She had not lost electricity.

Yep. Piscataway took in 17". My car is still snowed in but I did the bus-train-walk to work today. Although it took 2 hours I figured I would have spent that much time driving to Paterson and had to contend with a bunch of idiots and junky roads getting to the interstate. Not to mention not having to shell out a deductible and down time had the worst happened.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Winter Storm Warning - 7 PM until noon Monday.
this warning extends east including Gedunker.

Forecasting up to 5 in of snow.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Love - hate

Five inches of new snow here on top of the snow pack from last week's snow. More expected today (up to 3") and again next weekend. Love it!

Kids were to be in school today as a snow make-up day, but it's closed. The school built three days into the calendar for make-ups, but it looks like they'll be staying in school until well after Memorial Day. (Given this amount of snow and the extremely poor snow removal done around here, I wouldn't be surprised if school isn't in session again until Wednesday at the earliest. Hate it.)

Planit

Cyburbian
3.5 inches on friday night, but it was mostly melted by Saturday afternoon. No sledding (or injuries) this time around. I even saw that the Outer Banks had some white stuff as well.

For this winter we've had a combined 20 inches of snow, which is alot for this part of the Carolinas. Kids have "lost" Presidents Day, Good Friday and Memorial Day for snow makeup.

kms

Cyburbian
3.5 inches on friday night, but it was mostly melted by Saturday afternoon. No sledding (or injuries) this time around. I even saw that the Outer Banks had some white stuff as well.

For this winter we've had a combined 20 inches of snow, which is alot for this part of the Carolinas. Kids have "lost" Presidents Day, Good Friday and Memorial Day for snow makeup.

I watched my daughter play in the snow, via web cam, on her UNC campus. It looked like fun, and I am so high-tech. ;)

I hear people talk about being in the 2' of snow we have. They fall in it, and can't easily stand up again. That would stop being fun really fast.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's supposed to snow here again tonight but only a couple of inches this time. Although the roads are cleared from last week's storm there is still plenty of snow hanging around on everything else. I am ready for spring!