• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
We're supposed to get 3"-5" today/tonight, although my amateur meteorologist spouse is skeptical... and annoyed. "Whenever they predict a big storm, everyone cancels their [automotive service] appointments! And then we get nothing!"

We'll see. Unlike virtually everyone south of us, we haven't had more than a few inches of snow since December.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got another 3" last night. Not enough to affect anything, but like I said elsewhere, I'm ready for this winter thing to draw to a close.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a couple of inches of the fluffy stuff last night but not much stuck to the roads so the commute was easy coming up from central NJ. However when I hit Morristown I was treated to ice pellets and it's snowing at a pretty good clip in Paterson. It's interesting commuting between two different climate zones.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Temperatures have been rather consistent here thus far and looking at the forecast should continue to be. Highs have ranged from 35 to 27 and should continue to stay in that range. No big warm up in sight.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
66 degrees at 3 p.m. in Dallas, front is coming. Low in the 30's tonight with possibility of snow on Monday night and Tuesday. Daffodils are in bloom. You just gotta love a place that has all the seasons in 48 hours.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
66 degrees at 3 p.m. in Dallas, front is coming. Low in the 30's tonight with possibility of snow on Monday night and Tuesday. Daffodils are in bloom. You just gotta love a place that has all the seasons in 48 hours.

But it is Texas, so no I don't. ;)

Veloise

Cyburbian
A week ago I drove through lower Mississippi and Louisiana (near BR) in a snowstorm. Felt bad for those folks. Had a hilarious conversation with a Wal-Mart fabric clerk about the concept of a "snow brush."

Yesterday, in the parking lot of a Winn-Dixie, I took a pic of my bare feet in flip-flops.

And now I'm home, with a winter storm watch tonight.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We've gotten maybe 7" of really heavy/wet snow since 10:00 pm last night. Will likely get as much again over the next 18 hours.

One of the reasons this time of year drives me nuts is because spring is right around the corner. Come March 1, any day can become fair play for a temperate day (which is anything above 40 in my book), but by that same token, any day in February is fair game for full throttle winter weather. It's just frustrating to get whacked by more snow when we're so close to the finish line, and end up limping across it instead of sprinting.:(

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We've gotten maybe 7" of really heavy/wet snow since 10:00 pm last night. Will likely get as much again over the next 18 hours.

One of the reasons this time of year drives me nuts is because spring is right around the corner. Come March 1, any day can become fair play for a temperate day (which is anything above 40 in my book), but by that same token, any day in February is fair game for full throttle winter weather. It's just frustrating to get whacked by more snow when we're so close to the finish line, and end up limping across it instead of sprinting.:(

Agreed. This weekend in metro Detroit was warm enough for me to take part of the hard top off of my Jeep while I was out and about on Friday and Saturday afternoons and then this morning I woke up to already 4" in my driveway and on my street (which was more than they were predicting for 5:00 a.m.) and it's still coming down hard here too.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a nice weekend here...still cool but warmed up enough to start the leftover snow melting. The Canada Geese were out in force too crapping everywhere they went :-{ Tonight could be rain or sleet and the weather can pretty much do anything over the next few weeks before it decides it is spring.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
An idiot is born every day

Sorry miss posted, trying to hit random thoughts lol

Last edited:

johnelsden1

Winter Storm Warning here in Austin..............yesterday was 75........go figure

But only 2-3 inches predicted.............in New England that would be a nuisance snow..........but here in central TX probably means schools canceled, etc...........

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
2 inches of snow expected tomorrow, and I've got to drive an hour to attend a class first thing in the morning. Fun.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's sleeting outside. I hope it turns into rain.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Just when I thought spring was on the horizon, it's snowing. And the forecasts call for snow and/or some kind of mixed precipitation through the end of the week. :(

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Endless Weather

Remember the surfing movie, Endless Summer? Well, the sequel Endless Weather is back again. OMG, there might be up to 2 inches of snow today! Cancel the national news! Call the airports! Call the road commission! Put reporters out on the overpasses! It's channel surfing time again, I've got to get my real news fix!

Veloise

Cyburbian
...Yesterday, in the parking lot of a Winn-Dixie, I took a pic of my bare feet in flip-flops.

And now I'm home, with a winter storm watch tonight.

oneday.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The Chicago-Milwaukee area got hit by some Lake Effect snow yesterday afternoon and evening. Most locales picked up about 1-4 inches, with some areas, such as Zion, IL, picking up as much as 6 inches.

We even got some lake effect snow all the way out in DeKalb...a band that originated in Racine, and ran southwest into Walworth County, WI, then southward into Boone, Winnebago, and DeKalb Counties in IL.

Lake effect snow sure is an interesting phenomenon. It's also rare when it happens on the west side of Lake Michigan, since easterly winds are rare. So even when we get just a little bit from a lake effect snow event, it's kind of exciting.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We had up to 2" of "fetch" snow last night, which is basically lake effect, but we're on the southern end of Indiana, so the name LE doesn't really work.

[OT]Happily, our little Catholic school de-coupled from using the local public schools to decide weather delays. Public schools were on a 2-hr delay today and we're open. YAHOOOO!:h:[/OT]

Veloise

Cyburbian
...Lake effect snow sure is an interesting phenomenon. ...
Sometimes it looks like the styrofoam beads that fill those inflatable snow globes. If I had a leaf blower I could just dust off my sidewalk.

One time my sister (the doctor) and I were driving through the Ontario-Niagara Falls crossing. Clear dry pavement, then a sudden curtain of heavy snow. Wow.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Toledo Snow

The last week or so, here in NW Ohio, reminds me of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Up north it is common for snow to fall every day, usually in amounts of just a few inches......but that day-after-day accumulation starts to add up. We have been getting 2" to 4" every day for a week. Looks like the expected few inches today will break the all-time Toledo record for February snow. Looking at about 28" of the white stuff.

Certainly no comparison to some of the incredible (and record-setting) amounts in the northeastern states.

Toledo's annual average is just 37", a rather low number for cities in the Great Lakes area. Predominant weather patterns, winds, and being at the "wrong or right" end of Lake Erie (depending on your POV) all blend for the low Toledo totals.

OTOH.....baseball season opens in a month. :D

Bear

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Local news is reporting that this is the coldest winter in 30-years on the Florida panhandle. Something about an "oscillation." :huh: :glum:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
As we enter the first weekend in March, temperatures are warming up here in Chicagoland. The snow has been melting and you can see more grass than snow now in most places. Yesterday, it got up to the mid-40s and I only wore a sweatshirt to class and left the jacket at home. I also was driving around during the day with the windows down a little bit. The sun has been shining and staying out until 6pm.

When the temperature stays below 40 pretty much all winter, the minute it rises above that is cause for celebration. The good news is that the 40s are supposed to last into next week. Not sure how long they will last, or when we'll start seeing 50s and 60s, but I know they're coming soon! And I know Old Man Winter can bite us in the ass a few more times before it's all said and done, but spring is not far away.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's sunny and in the mid-50s here today and it really makes me want to take the hardtop off of my Jeep for the season!

However, I know that as soon as I go topless, it will be cold for another week or two... :-@

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
It's a rainy, crappy day here today but daffodils, redbuds and dogwoods are in bloom. God blessed :tx:!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Finally, a day in the 50's. Warming up is a good thing!

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
It's a rainy, crappy day here today but daffodils, redbuds and dogwoods are in bloom. God blessed :tx:!

Yesterday I saw the most intense double rainbow that I've ever seen. Today, clear skies and it's supposed to reach 75. Best of all, I've got an early afternoon meeting out of the office and I ain't coming back! :h:

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Finally some decently warm weather here in Central IL, I am so tired of the snow and I am getting a bit of spring fever. Saturday was a beautiful day, 50 with pretty much a full day of sunshine. It has been 45 or above since last Thursday. It looks like 50 or above through next Wed. Low 60's tomorrow. Unfortunately with the quickly disappearing snowpack, it has been pretty foggy and cloudy. Rain today and tomorrow with a damp rest of the week. At least it is not snow. :D

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
It reached 82º at my apartment yesterday afternoon in north Austin. Humidity was bearable, the sun was out, there was a somewhat cool breeze coming in from the northeast. It was the definition of perfect... only it shouldn't get warm like this, ideally, until early-mid April.

My perfect calendar (weather-wise):

• Jan. - Cold, but not frigid, preferably between 30º-50º, with one decent winter weather event*, but overally about 1/2 of month overcast (including winter weather event), 1/2 month sunny. Low humidity (20-35%).
  • Feb. - Same as January, only without winter weather event*. Low-mild humidity (25-40%).
  • Mar. - Cool, prefereably between 40º-70º. 1/3 overcast, 1/3 rain, 1/3 sunny. Mild humidity (30-40%).
  • Apr. - Pleasant. 50º-80º. 1/6 overcast, 1/3 rain, 1/2 sunny. Mild-heavy humidity (40-50%).
  • May - Warm, but not hot. 60º-90º. 1/3 rain, 2/3 sunny. Heavy humidity (50%+).
  • Jun. - Warm to hot, but with a lingering cool breeze. 70º-95º. 3/4 sun, 1/4 rain. Mild humidity (40-50%).
  • Jul. - Hot. 75º-100º. 3/4 sun, 1/8 rain, 1/8 overcast. Mild humidity.
  • Aug. - Still hot, but dryer. 75º-100º. 3/4 sun, 1/4 overcast/light rain. Low-mild humidity.
  • Sept. - Warm and dry. 60º-90º. 2/3 sun, 1/6 overcast, 1/6 light rain. Low humidity.
  • Oct. - Pleasant. 50º-80º. 1/2 sunny, 1/3 overcast, 1/6 rain. Low-mild humidity.
  • Nov. - Cool and slightly wet. 40º-70º. 1/3 sun, 1/3 overcast, 1/3 rain. Mild humidity.
  • Dec. - Cold, but not frigid. At least one short-lived winter weather event* late in the month. 30-60º. 1/2 overcast, 1/3 sun, 1/6 precipitation. Mild humidity.

*Winter weather event = snow or ice storm that has decent accumulation but not overwhelming to local road crews and does not create dangerous driving situations or forced closings for school or work.

Temperatures listed indicate range of acceptable high temperatures, not lows.

johnelsden1

Local news is reporting that this is the coldest winter in 30-years on the Florida panhandle. Something about an "oscillation." :huh: :glum:

Oh too bad RJ, it hit 80 degrees here yesterday in the Austin Texas area..............75 today.............even the Galveston TX water temp is above many in FL...........must be the global warming NOT...........

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Oh too bad RJ, it hit 80 degrees here yesterday in the Austin Texas area..............75 today.............even the Galveston TX water temp is above many in FL...........must be the global warming NOT...........

It was nice to arrive home this afternoon to find ZG had all the windows facing the pool open and letting in the fresh air; temp in the low 70's. Spring is here. :h:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yesterday it did something it hasn't done since last November around here - rain! So now coupled with 50 degree temps, 99% of the snow has melted. A few patches remain in heavily wooded areas and shaded areas around parking lots where snow got piled but otherwise it's gone! Having lived here most of my life I know this is a bit of a tease as we will likely see the ground covered maybe one more time this year with snow...but at this point it probably won't remain for more than a day or so! Spring is almost here (and that means gardening time!)

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Yesterday it did something it hasn't done since last November around here - rain! So now coupled with 50 degree temps, 99% of the snow has melted. A few patches remain in heavily wooded areas and shaded areas around parking lots where snow got piled but otherwise it's gone! Having lived here most of my life I know this is a bit of a tease as we will likely see the ground covered maybe one more time this year with snow...but at this point it probably won't remain for more than a day or so! Spring is almost here (and that means gardening time!)

You really haven't seen rain since November or does it just seem that way?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
jsk1983 said:
You really haven't seen rain since November or does it just seem that way?
I havent looked at an almanac or anything, but that's my belief. It's possible there may have been a 'sleet' situation one day in January that might technically disqualify my claim, but the last time before this past week that we had a proper 'rain' was just before Thanksgiving. It's not all that unusual for this time of year in the area as the vast majority of precipitation comes in the form of snow.

Snowed a bit this weekend. Not enough to stick for more than a day, but long enough to postpone the official inauguration of the 2010 outdoor gardening season til next weekend :(

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Steady rain, windy (21 mph), & cool (45) so that is just crappola. :r:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
How are our East Coast Cyburbians doing? I understand there's lots of flooding in RI, and I'm sure surrounding states are sopping wet, too!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
How are our East Coast Cyburbians doing? I understand there's lots of flooding in RI, and I'm sure surrounding states are sopping wet, too!

C-c-c-c-old r-r-r-rain in my neck of the woods today (though I don't have to worry about flooding). I actually turned the heat up.

It's supposed to be warm this weekend, though. :)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Rain...rain....go away! The commute to work this morning was a bit hairy. The commute home was better. I cross over both the Raritan River and the Passaic River multiple times on my commute and both rivers were running very high on my way home. The Raritan River is near my home and both Bakelite and Johnson Parks on its banks were starting to see some flooding. Great Piece Meadows State Park which functions as a flood plain for the Passaic still had a couple of feet of standing water from the last storm and it looked like there was about 4-5 feet of water over the banks judging by where the water line was hitting the trees. Paterson where I work is surrounded on three sides by the Passaic and they were calling for flooding to hit some neighborhoods again. I heard on the radio that they had closed the Rt. 20 bridges because of the high water. The rivers are supposed to crest tomorrow morning.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/ for inquiring minds. Paterson is the dot marked Little Falls, NJ and Rutgers is near the dot marked Bound Brook, NJ.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Despite being in one of the worst flooded areas of RI my immediate neighborhood is high and dry. Half a mile away houses and businesses are under water. The town I work for is also a mess. I'm very fortunate compared to thousands of people around here.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Despite being in one of the worst flooded areas of RI my immediate neighborhood is high and dry. Half a mile away houses and businesses are under water. The town I work for is also a mess. I'm very fortunate compared to thousands of people around here.
What are these 'miles' of which you speak? Well, I guess it's just those old farts who still use them here, eh?

Anyways, It is a VERY PLEASANT sunny spring day here, already 17 degrees outside!

:b::D:b:

OTOH, the outdoor hockey rink in the park not even a block away is long gone....

:-(

Mike

Salmissra

Cyburbian

Glad to hear that you're doing OK!:)

Anyone heard from PrahaSMC? He's another RI resident . . .

We're due for some thunderstorms tomorrow. Supposedly if the morning storm isn't that strong, we'll have a strong afternoon one, and vice versa. Lovely. Both commutes will be in the rain . . .

boiker

Cyburbian
Very cool for this time of year in Arizona.

Currently 14°C heading for a high of 18°C. The weather office advises that we could see upwards of 13mm of liquid precipitation today with winds nearing 20 kph.

The office also apologized for such an abnormal forecast.

biscuit

Cyburbian
It's 13º outside right now and sunny. A glorious day, as is every day here in Canada.

Only a crazy Commienadian would think 19 degrees below freezing is glorious!

We have had a cold sping so far. I know that this cold and all of the snow was the good lords punishment for voting that non-citizen into the white house. You think it's bad now, just wait and see what happens if you vote Demoncrat Party in 2012. The Mayans warned you America!!!!