• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Breaking records for high temps yesterday and today. Low 80s in early April. :)

Here, too. :) (Why is it I'm really busy on beautiful days when I'd like to get outside... and yet it's cold and rainy on the days that I'm bored out of my skull and have time available?! :-{)

Spring peepers in the wetland behind our house have been making quite a racket all week long. They are about a month ahead of schedule!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It's been a very pleasant week here in Northern Illinois. Yesterday (Thursday) was the most beautiful day. Plentiful sunshine and a high in the low 80s. All the sorority girls were out in their bikinis getting tan. :h: Nice carefree days like this remind me how much I'm going to miss college.

It has also been rather windy, but today seemed to be the windiest of all. A cold front will bring rain tonight, but it should get back up to around 70 for Easter.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Nino Ramble On

With apologies to Led Zep.....

Do, do, do, my baby.....warm weather.....ramble on.....calling Al Gore critics......ramble on......heavy snow on east coast......do, do, do my baby.....ramble on.....global warming......crock......ramble on......revenge is a dish best served cold......global climate change......simple weather patterns......do, do, do my baby.....ramble on.....who do you believe......ramble on......

Where's my slicker?

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The Northern Illinois area got its first bout of severe weather of the season last night. A few supercells produced intense wind and hail damage across the region. We were under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch all evening and were under warnings several times. The supercells weren't strong enough to produce tornadoes though. The Rockford, DeKalb, Crystal Lake, and O'Hare areas all experienced intense weather last night. In small towns like Oregon, Marengo, and Rochelle, semis were blown off the road, trees were blown down, power lines were down. Once they got to DeKalb, you could definitely feel the fury. I noticed a little bit of pea size hail, but the main thing was the wind (and the monsoon rain)...I thought my window was going to break. As the storms headed east, baseball size hail and winds to 70 mph were reported near O'Hare airport.

For any weather nerds, here's a synopsis of the storms from the NWS: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=50566&source=0

More severe weather is expected tonight.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a lovely 83F with a little breeze outside. Will make for a nice stroll to the train station.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got a little bit of snow last night - barely enough to cover the ground. It's back down into the mid 30's this a.m.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I didn't have to work this morning because I will be at the office until about 9:00 p.m. tonight. So before work I had time to go for a 10-mile run, drop my taxes off at the post office, do a little yard work, and walk to the grocery store to pick up something for lunch and dinner.

Driving to work in the gorgeous sunlight and 81º weather with the top down and doors off of the Jeep, it was really difficult to actually complete the journey all the way to the office.

I stopped by my favorite coffee shop and even decided to check my email to see if there was some sort of miracle that caused this evening's event to be canceled; I was prepared to just turn right around and call in for the day, but alas, no such luck...

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Record-setting temps here in NW Ohio.....reached 83F today, a few degrees above the old record. Summer-like.

Tonight the storms move in, rain on Friday, and Saturday has a forecast high temp of 48F. :-c

Bear

globalwarmist

It suddenly was pouring yesterday in LA.. took me 2 hours to get home from downtown LA. Normally it would take 30 minutes during non rush hour traffic.

kltoomians

Cyburbian
It was near 70 in southern Oregon...until today...we got about 5in of snow. It should be back up into the 60s tomorrow. Crazy spring weather!

Don't forget your administrative professionals today! :D

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Today is definitely one of those "warm inland, cooler by the lake" type of days that are common in springtime in Chicagoland. I'm wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and sunglasses, enjoying beautiful sunshine and temps in the mid 60s, 60-70 miles inland in DeKalb. In Rockford, it's 69 and it's 71 in LaSalle.

Meanwhile, people in Cook and Lake Counties are freezing their butts off, where it's cloudy and in the 40s.

The 20-30 degree difference over just 60-70 miles or so is truly remarkable.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
A major tornado outbreak is already occurring and expected to last all day-long across portions of the Deep South, mid-Mississippi Valley, and Ohio Valley today. I hope all Cyburbians in the region stay safe and heed any warnings.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
A major tornado outbreak is already occurring and expected to last all day-long across portions of the Deep South, mid-Mississippi Valley, and Ohio Valley today. I hope all Cyburbians in the region stay safe and heed any warnings.

Just issued - Tornado Watch (96) until 9 PM.
It also includes Gedunker.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Just issued - Tornado Watch (96) until 9 PM.
It also includes Gedunker.

Methinks it's the calm before the storm right now. One line has come through and saturated the environment fueling whatever demons might be following. But, hey, I've got beer and the basement entrance is just feet away. I'm good: you take care, fellow ol' Jersey Ex-Pat.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Storms fired up last night in Texas. Nothing to speak of in Dallas but when I got to my weekend place in E. Texas, there were several trees down and branches scattered all over the yard and fields. Nothing on the house so we're good. Took all day getting the yard cleaned up but the other trees will have to wait.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Gotta :l: the Great Lakes.....

Last week, drove through a heavy snow squall. Earlier this week, scraped a thin layer of ice off my rugged Tundra's windshield. Yesterday, about 80F.

Some thunder-bumpers made their way through NW Ohio early this morning. Possible severe storms tonight and tomorrow. But, we seem to be on the western edge of this latest batch.

Heck, it was even near 80F in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Spring squall lines are kool. :D

Bear

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I really hope the rain holds off for a couple more hours. I have no roof on my Jeep today since it was so nice this morning I didn't bother checking the weather report before leaving the house.

Oh well... it wouldn't be the first time I have to sit on a wet seat and I'm sure it will not be the last. :-@

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Friday, 5-7-10
NW Ohio
6:24 PM

All kinds of bad weather around my Swanton home. Weather radar has red approaching. The temperature in the northern portions of Toledo is about 58F. Just a few miles south, in suburb Perrysburg, it is almost 80F.

Now that's a front line. :)

These storms aren't what is worrying me. I am concerned about the high wind forecast for Saturday. Gusts to 60 MPH.....regular wind speeds at 40 MPH. Bill Clinton should be here.

:-c:-o:D

Bear

Veloise

Cyburbian
Heard about your tornado warnings, Bear.
Meanwhile, for the big day (and two hour parade) of Tulip Time...a high of 45° with light rain AND SNOW. Time to locate my plastic mouthpiece! I am very glad that I stepped back from the local American Legion band, since they are marching in the parade in uncomfortable outfits.

Planit

Cyburbian
Anyone in OKC? Everyone ok?
Suburbs got hit pretty hard by tornados and it looks like there are simialr possibilites today...

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Anyone in OKC? Everyone ok?
Suburbs got hit pretty hard by tornados and it looks like there are simialr possibilites today...

I'll be there starting tomorrow for 5 days, as my little sister is graduating from OU this weekend. She's fine. My wife's matron of honor and her husband had softball-sized hail shatter their new Nissan Altima's rear window, though. They all live in Norman. My wife's family (OKC and Chickasha) are all okay, with no damage.

It's times like these when my wife longs to be back in Oklahoma. She likes following this weather and has gone chasing several times.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I found it ironic that there were several clips on the news today of a multiple vortex tornado near Wakita, OK, the same town hit over and over in the movie Twister.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
After some nice days in the 60s with a light breeze we are back to cold and rainy. Picked a fine time to move a couch from my friend's house to mine this evening :-{

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio weather is quite nice. First weekend in about 4 to 5 weeks with nice weather on the docket for the entire period. :)

Expected highs in the low 70F range.....normal. A few clouds. No rain. Not too windy. This Bear is going to be heading for the outside world. :)

Outside World: 2-story anti-Cyburbian barn-like garage, needing paint on some portions. Massive speakers will be pushing out loud rock and roll. Today's set list will include a little Janis, some Guns & Roses, at least one Flock CD, and a couple discs from the Nuggets box (appropriately dubbed "garage rock from the 1960s"). :)

"Hey, Bear", you say. "What's this Flock all about."

See attachment.

Bear :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaVEzBD4MlY

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions from a personal weather station near our home:

Temp: 91.0 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 73 °F
Wind: 12.5 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 12.5 mph
Pressure: 30.02 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 100 °F

Summer is here.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Summer is here -
Forecast for the week - high 80's w/ chance of afternoon Tstorms

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Low 90's daytime and upper 70's nights for the next week. It's hot now but won't be summer until we get days in the 100's and nights in the 80's.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Hit 90F at the airport in Louisville yesterday -- we typically don't get that hot until mid-June, so it could be a scorcher this year. Plus, it's one of the wettest months of May on record, so with it being a lush as it is, very unusual to hit 90.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Hit 89 at O'Hare yesterday. Today, it's already up to 86 with a heat index of 92 at 11am. I think it could crack 90 today.

The mercury reaching 80 by the end of May in Chicagoland isn't all that unusual, but the mercury reaching 90 this time of year is not as common. To think, it was cold and windy with temperatures in the 40s on my graduation just two weeks ago. And now it's close to 90. Unbelievable.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's a gorgeous day here in Metro Detroit!

I love this type of weather for two reasons:
  1. No top!
  2. No doors!

Jeep.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
88! A dreaded preview of things to come. Just too damned hot and miserable.:(

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Jeep pic reminded this Bear of them younger days of so dang long ago. I owned three CJ-5s and one CJ-7. They were the forerunners of today's Jeeps. During the summer months I always had the doors off. When the top was down I also put the windshield down.....it went forward and there were straps and buckles to hold it down on the hood. Fun times. :)

I agree with Maister.....don't care much for extended periods of heat and humidity. It has been a hot couple days in NW Ohio. Marquette, MI, in the Upper Peninsula scored a mid-90F yesterday. That's incredible!

Bear

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In Louisville, as well as much of the midwest, I suspect, the summers of '55, '66, '77, '88, and '99 each had two months that averaged 80 degrees (F) or had one extremely hot month. This 11-year pattern brings us to 2010. Methinks the pattern will hold up this year, as we've already had unseasonably HOT temps already.

The summer of '88 I spent in Muncie starting my Master's thesis. I lived in a basement apartment without A/C and it was brutal -- so much so that I spent as much time in studio, where there was A/C, as I possibly could. My wife was preggers with my daughter in '99 and she had a miserable summer.

I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to this heat.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Red & Yellow On The Radar

Looks like this Bear is in for some strong storms on this muggy Wednesday morning. The weather radar is peppered with reds and yellows, moving at a strong clip, across the Indiana/Ohio state line and heading for Swanton.

Auntie 'Em, Auntie 'Em.....have you see my bicycle?

:-c:D

Bear

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Looks like this Bear is in for some strong storms on this muggy Wednesday morning. The weather radar is peppered with reds and yellows, moving at a strong clip, across the Indiana/Ohio state line and heading for Swanton.

Auntie 'Em, Auntie 'Em.....have you see my bicycle?

:-c:D

Bear

The same is expected just up the road from you on I-75 late this morning and into the early afternoon. I had to put the doors and roof on my Jeep this morning for the first time in more than a week! :not:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We're in the upper 90's here, with triple digits (102) predicted for this weekend. It's early for the triple digits, but I remember back in the mid-90's when we hit 100 in May.
It's time for a large shade structure to be built over the city.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tornado Damage Near Bear

Not good news coming from local news sources. Reports coming in that several homes have been leveled south of Delta, OH, about 6 to 10 miles southwest of this Bear's house. It's early in the news cycle.....the storms went through about 30 minutes ago. In this batch there were two separate areas of strong storms, one north of Swanton and one south of Swanton. At my Swanton home we had heavy rain for about 15 minutes.....no strong winds, very little thunder and lightning, no hail. For this batch.....consider Bear and family "quite lucky" to be in the middle.

More reports just coming in.....the storm south of us roared through the Whitehouse, OH, area and there are reports of damage. Wauseon, OH, just west of Delta.....also reporting damage. This was a scary batch. I pray that only physical property was affected.....no people.

Why do I keep saying "this batch"? Because there is another batch of heavy storms a few hundred miles west.....due to hit NW Ohio. Predictions are that this next batch, much larger, will strike around 3:00 AM. Three-and-half-hours from now we hope to be "lucky" again. What a night!
_____

I was watching the Detroit Tiger's final couple innings, from Kansas City. (The Tigers won!) About 9:45 PM the stations started to broadcast that there was a tornado warning, about 60 miles southwest of the Toledo area.

Lights flickered. Bye.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Back.....

I ended the last post because the lights flickered and I thought we would lose power. Still have it. For now.

As I was saying, the tornado warnings took me away from the Tiger game. I jumped between the two local TV stations that have highly-sophisticated forecasting tools. This Bear was able to watch that first batch's two separate storms. The weatherpeople on both stations were very informative and accurately predicted where they expected damage to occur. They were significantly ahead of the National Weather Service when predicting tonight's events.

This concerned me, because many years ago the National Weather Service closed their Toledo office (at the airport, near Swanton). Decisions to issue WARNINGS (in areas with a WATCH) are made in Cleveland, 110 miles to the east. I clearly saw bright red radar in Lucas County a few minutes BEFORE the NWS issued the Tornado Warning for Lucas County (Toledo's county). Tonight's events tell me that the best advice.....the most timely advice that is critical in tornado preparation.....is going to come from the two stations in Toledo that have the sophisticated equipment. (Toledo has 5 or 6 TV stations but the market is dominated by the two "biggies".....and they have the equipment.)

Now for the wait for the second batch. Hopefully, it will reduce in intensity as it roars over Indiana. Katie already said she is staying up. I am going to see if I can sleep for a couple hours.

SIDE-NOTE: I always do this if there is a significant chance of tornado activity.....I put my shoes and socks on, make sure my wallet and keys are with me. Katie puts on all her rings. :-c You never know.

Wish me luck.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Damage

As the clock ticks toward Midnight the TV stations are reporting that there is significant damage in Fulton County, south of Delta. Because it is dark the incoming flow of info is uneven. It is sounding like this Bear is going to wake up on Sunday morning to some ugly sights, just southwest of me.

My Maintenance Manager lives in the area they are describing. Katie's best friend lives in that area. We are hoping for the best.

We used to live in Henry County, straddling the Fulton County line, just where the damage reports are coming from.

Bear