• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Fatalities In Area

As we brace for the next batch (about an hour away and showing no signs of weakening) there are numerous damage reports from areas in and around Metro Toledo. As I indicated in the posts above, just a few miles from my Swanton home there was significant damage. Whitehouse, OH, a few miles southeast of my home had damage. But it appears that major damage occured in suburban Millbury, OH. Many homes destroyed and at this point they are indicating that there are fatalities. Lake High School is heavily damaged.

That next batch roared through southwest Michigan an hour or so ago. Hope that Maister did OK. On the radar (at 1:16 AM EDT) there is a huge batch of red, with thousands of reported lightning strikes, bearing down on my location.

I said it before and will say it again......what a night!

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Storms Kill Three In Metro Toledo

When the second batch of storms pummeled NW Ohio it split into a north segment and a south segment......just like the first batch.....and again missed Swanton, OH. We had heavy rain, strong winds, a lot of lightning......but no hail and no twisters. About 15 miles north of Toledo is the Michigan town of Dundee. They had considerable damage, including damage to the retail that surrounds the giant sportsperson store, Cabela's. (Largest Cabela in the chain.)

The first batch killed three people, in Toledo's eastern suburb of Lake Township.

Bear

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
As we brace for the next batch (about an hour away and showing no signs of weakening) there are numerous damage reports from areas in and around Metro Toledo. As I indicated in the posts above, just a few miles from my Swanton home there was significant damage. Whitehouse, OH, a few miles southeast of my home had damage. But it appears that major damage occured in suburban Millbury, OH. Many homes destroyed and at this point they are indicating that there are fatalities. Lake High School is heavily damaged.

That next batch roared through southwest Michigan an hour or so ago. Hope that Maister did OK. On the radar (at 1:16 AM EDT) there is a huge batch of red, with thousands of reported lightning strikes, bearing down on my location.

I said it before and will say it again......what a night!

Bear

The sirens went off around midnight and I immediately trundled the family down into the basement. The funnel cloud tracked a couple miles north of us, but didn't touch down near us. A tree across the street did get zapped by lightning, though. Everyone is really tired but okey dokey otherwise, thanks. Havent surveyed the garden yet....

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Another Update

The death toll for the tornado that roared through Lake Township (a suburb of Toledo) is now pegged at 7. Experts are saying that the damage appears to be from an F3 rated twister. The area had multiple tornadoes, including one that was just a few miles from this Bear's Swanton home.

The police chief of Lake Township, Mark Hummer, is married to my ex-boss' daughter. When Mark was young, before he finished law enforcement classes, he worked for me. Also, the HR Director at my Distribution Center has a daughter that was supposed to graduate today from Lake High School. If you watched the news clips you can clearly see that the school is in a shambles. Lucky that classes were not in session.

The Toledo area has not had tornado deaths since the infamous Palm Sunday outbreak (in 1965). Toledo and suburbs had about 15 deaths in that storm. That outbreak (killing about 250 people) led to the establishment of the WATCH and WARNING system now used.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Bear, glad to hear you are OK. I immediately thought of you when I found out about how bad it was in NW Ohio.

I'm also grateful that the storms in Michigan turned out to be not nearly as bad, as I know we have lots of Cyburbians there. Additionally, I spent my weekend in Michigan, and was in Ann Arbor when the storms came through. It was real bizarre. It was raining all night. Mostly a light to moderate steady rain as we ate dinner and walked through downtown Ann Arbor. And the temperature was kind of cool...didn't really seem like tornado weather. The rain got heavier as we went to Meijer to get a few things before going back to my GF's friend's home. As we were driving home, the EAS tornado warning came on the radio and the sirens started going off. This was around 10pm. We were planning to watch a movie but ended up watching the local stations...The Simpsons and then SNL, while the local weather guy came on to brief us every 15 minutes or so. But it was one after the next. Probably 3 or 4 tornado warnings were issued for Washtenaw County, one after the other. It was nuts. Effectively, we were under a tornado WARNING from 10pm to 1am...three hours! I had never seen anything like that in my life. Cell after cell kept coming through the area, and they all looked tornadic. Luckily, the first couple cells went just south of Ann Arbor and the later cells weakened. In the end, we got mostly heavy rain, lightning, and a little wind. Thankfully, the storms were not tornadic and did not produce heavy damage. But it was kinda crazy to say the least.

Back home in Illinois, LaSalle, Livingston, and Kankakee Counties were all hit really hard. These locations are about two hours south of me, and along with Will, Kendall, and Grundy Counties, are part of a mini tornado alley in Illinois that seems to get hit hard repeatedly. Several EF2 and EF3 tornadoes with injuries occurred in places like Streator, Dwight, and St. Anne. A couple people I know grew up in Streator, but thankfully don't live there anymore. Lots of damage and destruction. I think one tornado injured 17, another injured 7. Thankfully no deaths in Illinois, but it's never good to hear about injuries either.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Glad you are fine, Bear. Our Swanton side of the family checked-in OK as well. One of them was over near Liberty Center, OH helping a friend clean-up their mess. I'm guessing that was the tornado you referred to as being a few miles from you.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm glad to hear that the Bear Up North down south made it through the storms safely. Mrs. WSU MUP Student and I were driving home from a wedding around midnight on Saturday/Sunday when what was the first round was just coming into the northern Detroit area. We didn't have much wind, but the rain was certainly coming down.

Our neck of the woods only had severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches (no warnings in the OC). We also didn't have any flood watches but the northern branch of the Rouge River runs through my neighborhood and there are many lakes all around the area and while driving home over some small side streets creeks and small branches of the river were overflowing and running across the roads very quickly. We had to double back a couple of times and take a different route (it was too dark and raining too heavily and the roads right in the area are too hilly and steep and combined with my wife's very low sitting car, I wasn't going to risk crossing one of these spots at 12:15 a.m. with a pregnant wife in the car).

Sunday morning we were headed out to a graduation party and we could see certain spots along the road where the water had been flowing across because of all the deposited sand and dirt. It was sort of surprising and now I wonder if this is a common occurrence in this neighborhood during really heavy downpours (I don't think I'd ever actually driven around on many of these side streets during a big storm like that before).

boiker

Cyburbian
Several EF2 and EF3 tornadoes with injuries occurred in places like Streator, Dwight, and St. Anne. A couple people I know grew up in Streator, but thankfully don't live there anymore. Lots of damage and destruction. I think one tornado injured 17, another injured 7. Thankfully no deaths in Illinois, but it's never good to hear about injuries either.

I grew up in Streator. My family and my wife's family still live there. The tornado hit a section of town about 1/2 mile south of my family and in-laws. My brother caught video of the tornado (night chasing as I gave him nowcast and navigation) His video (only a couple frames) was used by ABC 7 and WGN in Chicago news reports.

I have a good friend who lived 3 blocks away from where the 1/4 mile wide tornado went through. His property just suffered tree damage. 30 houses were fully destroyed in Streator.

My wife's aunt and uncle live in Dwight and houses 1 block away from their home were hit by the tornado.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
At 5:09 pm central time.

91.7 °F
Clear
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 73 °F
Wind: 6.0 mph from the WSW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.07 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 100 °F

More of this tomorrow. This is pool weather.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio Tornado Info

It has been a few days since the 5 tornadoes roared through NW Ohio and SE Michigan. The death toll for the F4-rated tornado that struck Lake Township (suburban Toledo) was changed from 7 to 5. If you saw pics on the net or in your local newspaper you saw the horrible destruction in that area. That tornado followed Ohio 795 for a few miles. Fortunately, much of that route is farmland and commercial. In case you are wondering how close to Toledo it was, you can see the skytowers of downtown Toledo from 795. If that tornado would have gone through the more dense areas just 2 miles north the death toll could have been in the hundreds......mainly because it was a night-time twister. I believe that in NW Ohio about 500 homes had damage and nearly 100 were leveled or sustained major damage.

The twister near this Bear's home, in Fulton County (west of Toledo), was rated as an F2. A number of homes were destroyed......and this area, too, was primarily rural or it would have been much worse. A teenage girl survivor was upstairs at her friend's house when the tornado tore apart the house. She was running down the stairs and grabbed onto the stair-rail and held on. The girls she was with were buried in rubble but were dug out and only sustained bruises and scratches. The storm even picked up a couple horses and placed them in a swimming pool.

One of the Lake Township deaths was a woman who, seeing the tornado, was running for the presumed "safety" of the township police building. She was picked up and thrown. The police building was destroyed. Mark Hummer, the police chief, was all over the news......a calm voice in a tragic situation. (Mark married my former boss' daughter.)

Another death, near the police building: A woman was driving on 795 and talking with her stepfather. The tornado pulled her out of the car. Horrible.

Lake High School (where my brother taught for a number of years) was destroyed. The father of the class valedictorian was killed. The graduation ceremonies, scheduled to be held Sunday were moved to Owens Community College. No doubt, a graduation event that held promise for the future and sadness for the past.

The area has tons of events going on to raise funds for the folks who were displaced. And a nice touch.....Northwood High School is a few miles north of Lake High School. The schools are bitter enemies on the sports field but the football players from Northwood were among the first to arrive at the scene and start helping with the digging-out and the clean-up.

Also have to report the "other side" of the reaction to the storms.....a number of looters have been arrested. What jerks.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tornado Horses

Friday night this Bear and Katie were at a party in rural Henry County, about a mile from the damage track for the F2 tornado that bounced between Henry County and Fulton County. Driving down to the party we noticed a lot of damaged homes, a couple barns that were down, and many-many trees that were toppled, especially in the Maumee State Forest.

At the party we heard some tornado stories from Henry and Fulton residents. We did get the skinny on the horses in the tornado.

The news media had reported that a couple horses were picked up by the tornado and deposited in a swimming pool. That incident is true because one of the party-goers helped get the horses out of the pool. After the storm dropped them into the pool, one of the horses calmly walked up the steps and out. The other was mortified.....can a horse be "mortified"?.....and wouldn't budge. It took about 8 people to push the horse out of the pool. :-c

Bear
AKA Mr. Ed

Richmond Jake

At this hour from the neighborhood PWS:

93.9 °F
Clear
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 75 °F
Wind: 6.2 mph from the WSW
Wind Gust: 6.2 mph
Pressure: 30.04 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 106 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles

And that's why I'm still damp from the pool. :h:

The One

Cyburbian
And here

104 degrees
Humidity: 7 %
Wind Speed: SSW 14 G 23 MPH
Barometer: 29.71 in (1002.40 mb)
Dewpoint: 27°F (-3°C)
Heat Index: 98°F (37°C)
Visibility: 10.00 Miles

My nose is preparing to bleed:-c

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
From the NWS Louisville:
Site: Lou. International
Time: 16:56
Weather: Partly Cloudy
Visibility: 10+ miles
Temp (F): 94
Dewpoint: 71
Humidity: 48
Winds: SW 8
Heat Index: 101
Barometer: 29.91

They say the El Nino is ending and La Nina beginning. The last time this happened at this time of year, we had an average high temperature in August above 94F. Yechhhh!
And it's only frikkin mid-June!:not:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Bear The Troll

This Bear is starting to feel like a troll. Twice in the past two weeks we have had to huddle in the basement as tornado warnings and real-live twisters pummeled the area. Tonight it wasn't so bad.....two weeks ago the Metro Toledo tornadoes killed 6 people and destroyed hundreds of houses.....and totally demolished a high school.

Tonight the squall lined storm front, bow-shaped from southwestern Michigan to central Indiana, roared across the Hoosier state after doing some significant wind damage in Illinois. The sirens went off about 9:00 PM and Katie and I looked at each other and said, "WTF?".

The storm's leading edge was still on the other side of my county, Fulton. The TV folks are reporting that there was a twister touchdown near Archbold, OH....about 20 miles from my Swanton homestead. At least, that is what law enforcement officials said. It may have just been swirling winds associated with the strong front. Tomorrow's daylight eyes will tell the story. Methinks, straight line winds caused the damage that is being reported. Supposedly the little burg of Tedrow has many downed trees.

We had some strong winds, probably in the 30 MPH to 40 MPH range. Some areas in Indiana had reported winds exceeding 70 MPH. Wow!

All is calm now. More storms expected tomorrow, probably not as strong, because tonight's batch swept some of the fuel away. We shall see. Heading to a graduation party tomorrow evening. Sure hope they didn't have their big tent set-up yet.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Pretty impressive/massive radar images for first line Indy to Detroit and second line west of Chicago. :-c

As seen on National Weather Service Enhanced Radar Mosaic for the Central Great Lakes Sector.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Yeah, I experienced both squall lines/derechos yesterday as they slammed through Northern Illinois. The first one happened around 3:30/4pm CST, shortly after we had closed up the garage sale for the day. This one was the worst. It produced considerable wind damage across the entire area. Rockford, DeKalb, the Northern and Western suburbs of Chicago, and the City of Chicago were all hit really bad. Most of the winds were between 50 and 70mph. Numerous trees and power lines were down and windows were blown out of the Sears...er Willis...Tower. My neighborhood was largely spared...not a lot of old trees. But there was certainly a lot of wind and scary-looking clouds. The severe thunderstorm warnings advertised "Hurricane Force Winds of 80 mph". First time I've seen that kind of language in a NWS product.

The second one hit after 8pm...maybe closer to 9...I can't remember. This one wasn't nearly as bad. Closer to the 50mph range.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I need to mow my lawn before I go out of town Tuesday morning. It's 98 now with a heat index of 101. Forecast is for 100 tomorrow and 101 on Tuesday. I guess I better get out there now before it gets hot.:-c

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Extended the HEAT ADVISORY until wednesday.

and we are still in June.:-c

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was raining pretty hard when I left home to come to work this morning so I decided to put the roof and doors on my Jeep. Before I was even half way to the office, the rain had ended. Oh well... this ended my 3 week streak of being topless and doorless. (We had plenty of rain during that time, just not during times that I would be on the road)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We had a major thunderstorm pass through around 9:00 last night. The lightening show was terrific. There was hardly a second without a flash.

Luck was with us. I tornado took out several homes in a small village west of us, then tracked about a mile to our south. We were ready to grab the dogs and head into the basement.

btrage

Cyburbian
We had a major thunderstorm pass through around 9:00 last night. The lightening show was terrific. There was hardly a second without a flash.

Luck was with us. I tornado took out several homes in a small village west of us, then tracked about a mile to our south. We were ready to grab the dogs and head into the basement.

Grand Rapids got hit about 1-1:30 am. Serious light show, a couple reports of funnel clouds, but no serious damage. There was a tornado warning, but we just stayed in bed.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Grand Rapids got hit about 1-1:30 am. Serious light show, a couple reports of funnel clouds, but no serious damage. There was a tornado warning, but we just stayed in bed.

It made it to the right side of the state around 5:00 a.m. The winds had died down quite a bit but the lightning was still putting on a show. And we must have lost power for a split second somewhere along the way too.

Rygor

Cyburbian
There was report of approximately 30 funnel clouds sighted a bit north of my town of which about 5 actually touched down. We had a crazy light show and non-stop thunder last night. It made it quite hard to get to sleep. Lots of downed trees this morning on my way to work!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
More Storms On The Way !!!

Here we go again. Huge line of storms roaring through Chicagoland even as I hit these keys. NWS just announced a Tornado Watch for my area in NW Ohio. Storms are expected about 1:00 AM. Oh goody. :-o

Hope that our Cyburbia friends in Illinois, from Chicago on down to the central part of the Land of Lincoln, stay safe.

Note about the tornadoes that hit my area a couple weeks ago, destroying hundreds of homes and killing 6 people.....one of the tornadoes was just a few miles south of my Swanton home as it tore through the trees of the Maumee State Forest. The number of acres now missing trees in the Maumee Forest was estimated at just under 400. Oak Openings Preserve, a beautiful 4000 acre natural area, is now minus over 1000 trees.

Bear

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What is up with storms this year? Seems like we're getting whacked with a major storm practically every week lately! No sooner do we get the broken tree limbs/branches cleared away or the basement mopped up and the next storm comes blowing in and gotta do it all over again!:-@

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Not just one, but two tornados showed up the other night. The worse one (F2) touched down in Eagle, about ten minutes west and south of us. The other was about two miles due south. More rain last night, but not the bad lightening. There is standing water everywhere and the mosquitos are coming out in force.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We're stuck in the doldroms. 90's during the day with heat indexes in the 100s and scatter thunderstorms. Night time temps in the 70s.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
My sister-in-law was affected by the storms that came through Chicago last night. She was on the train going home when it went back to Union Station due to the tornado warning. When the warning was finally lifted, it was slow-going. I think she was delayed at least an hour, probably two.

No actual tornadoes in Chicagoland, but there were plenty of funnel cloud sightings, flash flooding, severe lightning, and damaging winds. 70-80 mph winds were reported throughout the western suburbs and at many locations in Chicago and NW Indiana, including Midway Airport. The northern and northwest suburbs (where I'm at) were largely spared. We just got a little rain and a few close lightning strikes.

Richmond Jake

From the PWS in our neighborhood.

102.6 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 72 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 3.1 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 113 °F

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Info Man

Another couple rounds of severe weather heading for NW Ohio. This has been the most active severe weather month in our area in years. Oh well.....

Info Man
A number of years ago the National Weather Service shuttered their NW Ohio forecast center, which was located at Toledo Express Airport, Swanton, OH. This is how the NWS deals with Metropolitan Toledo (with a population of about 600,000):

Lucas County (Toledo and a number of suburbs)
Serviced by NWS office in Cleveland, OH

Monroe County (Michigan county filled with Toledo suburbs)
Serviced by NWS office in Detroit, MI

Fulton County (still Metro Toledo, just east of Lucas County)
Serviced by NWS office in Northern Indiana (Fort Wayne, probably)

Whenever severe weather approaches (and hits) the area, the weathermen at two of the areas many TV stations are vastly superior to understanding and correctly predicting the paths and potential dangers of the storms. This past week, tornado sirens were sounding in Fulton County (tripped by a local law enforcement official who spotted a twister on the ground near Swanton) and Monroe County, tripped via warning of potential tornadoes on radar, hugging the state line. Cleveland's office was walleye fishing or some other activity. :-c

Seems to this Bear that the only thing the NWS is good for when referencing Metro Toledo is extended severe weather forecasting. I do understand that all weather is local, but it seems idiotic to have a single large metro with coverage coming from three separate centers. Oh, almost forgot.......government. That explains it.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Final Batch

Another big batch of storms heading our way. Severe T-Storm Watch in effect for the entire area. Lots of red on the radar. This should/could be the final batch as the high pressure moves toward us. Temps next week should be in the mid-70F range....."Upper Peninsula Weather", my favorite. :)

Went outside to work in the yard this morning. Just under 90F with high humidity. Sweated like an oinker. :-c

Bear

EDIT: Just heard that this latest batch of storms includes tornadoes. Warnings issued for twisters in SW Michigan, MaisterLand.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
EDIT: Just heard that this latest batch of storms includes tornadoes. Warnings issued for twisters in SW Michigan, MaisterLand.

I will be glad when this storm season is over, that's five major storms over the past 4 weeks! The tornado was spotted at the north edge of the county a good 10 miles from us. But that's still 10 miles closer than I could wish it.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Remember the deadly tornadoes that struck the lower Great Lakes region around June 5 of this year, and described in detail on pages 66-67 of this thread?

Well, sadly, you can now include Northern Illinois in the same boat as NW Ohio, among places that saw fatalities from the storm. As reported by the Chicago area National Weather Service office, someone recently died from injuries sustained in an EF2 tornado that struck the town of Dwight, about a half hour or so southwest of Joliet. This is the first killer tornado in the Chicago area since 2004, when an F3 tornado killed 9 people in the small town of Utica. This just goes to show that a tornado doesn't have to be an EF4 or EF5 to kill or injure people.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Remember the deadly tornadoes that struck the lower Great Lakes region around June 5 of this year, and described in detail on pages 66-67 of this thread?

Well, sadly, you can now include Northern Illinois in the same boat as NW Ohio, among places that saw fatalities from the storm. As reported by the Chicago area National Weather Service office, someone recently died from injuries sustained in an EF2 tornado that struck the town of Dwight, about a half hour or so southwest of Joliet. This is the first killer tornado in the Chicago area since 2004, when an F3 tornado killed 9 people in the small town of Utica. This just goes to show that a tornado doesn't have to be an EF4 or EF5 to kill or injure people.

Is Utica really the Chicago area? I think that might be a stretch. Any actual tornadoes ever hit the city of Chicago?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Turned off the AC overnight because the temp was
comfortable 67 at 9PM and 58 now. :)

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Is Utica really the Chicago area? I think that might be a stretch. Any actual tornadoes ever hit the city of Chicago?

In terms of the Chicago TV viewing area and also the Chicago area as defined by the National Weather Service, yes it is. So is Dwight. In terms of the Chicago metropolitan area, no. Although that could change.

And yes, tornadoes have hit the city before. The most prominent tornado to strike Chicago proper was an F4 tornado that struck in 1967, affecting the Oak Lawn area and the southern sections of Chicago, killing 33 people during Friday afternoon rush hour.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hot & Humid NW Ohio

Normally NW Ohio has about 10 days when the temperature hits 90F or greater. Last summer if we had a day hit 90F I cannot remember it. Very unusual. This summer it is quite different. We have already had quite a few 90F+ days, in a couple different batchs. More expected later this week.

Not my favorite weather.

Today it is gonna be just under 90F, but with increasing humidity. Yuck! :-{

Bear

Planit

Cyburbian
Here it is 4:12 pm and its raining cats & dogs with big thunder and lightening. We need it because it's been very dry, but why right before quitting time...

Planit

Cyburbian
Here it is 4:12 pm and its raining cats & dogs with big thunder and lightening. We need it because it's been very dry, but why right before quitting time...

That storm spawned a small tornado and damaged 8 homes plus killed a mobile home. Looks like we have to do some inspections with the building inspectors today.

Richmond Jake

Current observation from the neighborhood PWS.

92.8 °F - Clear
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 77 °F
Wind: 9.6 mph from the WSW

Wind Gust: 9.6 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 107 °F

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We've been experiencing the dog days of summer most of this month here in Northern Illinois. Hot and miserable. Sunny and upper 80s/low 90s with considerable humidity pretty much every day. We haven't gotten much rain at all this month. A little in the beginning of the month, but hardly any the past two or three weeks.

The grass is turning brown. I think people have gotten better about not watering it too. Must be the economy...or maybe the stuff we as planners tell people about not watering your grass has finally kicked in. Probably the former though.

I'll take the sunshine, but the temps could be reduced like 10 degrees every now and then. And a thunderstorm every now and then would be nice too. But no, everything's always gotta be extreme here in the Midwest. :r:

btrage

Cyburbian
We've been experiencing the dog days of summer most of this month here in Northern Illinois. Hot and miserable. Sunny and upper 80s/low 90s with considerable humidity pretty much every day. We haven't gotten much rain at all this month. A little in the beginning of the month, but hardly any the past two or three weeks.

The grass is turning brown. I think people have gotten better about not watering it too. Must be the economy...or maybe the stuff we as planners tell people about not watering your grass has finally kicked in. Probably the former though.

I'll take the sunshine, but the temps could be reduced like 10 degrees every now and then. And a thunderstorm every now and then would be nice too. But no, everything's always gotta be extreme here in the Midwest. :r:

Pretty much the same story on the east side of Lake Michigan, although the Grand Rapids area has had enough bouts of rain to not make it horribly dry.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tornado Warning!

Another tornado warning for Fulton County. The swirlee-dew is in western Fulton County, moving to the northeast. That will place it north of my Swanton abode.

This heat continues. Hottest summer in a long time. Many days of 90F+. Tomorrow's forecast calls for 95F with a heat index of 105F. :-c

Cannot wait for sweatshirt weather!

Bear

EDIT: Wow! The storm front just roared thru Swanton. I sat in a chair in the west-facing garage. The rain was heavy but there was no wind.....until that front line hit. Wind gusts in about a 10-minute period exceeding 50 MPH. The storm is now moving toward Metro Toledo.

Last edited:

Richmond Jake

At 6:05 pm...

It's hot and muggy here, folks. From the local PWS:

92.4 °F - Clear
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 78 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 1.1 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 108 °F

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Flooded Basements

The extremely heavy rain has created some flooding conditions in my area. Not sure about the rest of Metro Toledo but here in Swanton there are a number of flooded basements, with storm sewers backing up. Our basement has a little water....enough to be an inconvienence around the main basement drain. From what we hear, it is much worse in other parts of the village. Reports are that some areas have no ability to flush toilets.....at least until the water gets out of the system.

There were reports of tornado touch downs but I don't think there was any damage. Looks like more of the same weather on Friday and Saturday. Kick out the jams!

Bear

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
We're having a heat wave here in DC. I think its caused by all the political taking and arguing going on in this town. Anyway its supposed to feel like 110 tomorrow.