• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Would someone beat me over the head if i said we are having typical summer weather?

Costal Fog in the evening/morning
Burning off in the afternoon. Mid to High 70's
Costal breeze returns in the evening, fog rolls in.

Yup, been like this for like a month a half now :D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yadda Yadda Storms Yadda Yadda Yadda

More storms are plowing through NW Ohio and SE Michigan. The tornado sirens went off a short while ago. Certainly not in the "all clear" zone because a look at the weather radar shows a long line of storms pushing toward Swanton (and points east and southeast), Heavy rain, hail, strong winds, more possible tornadoes......what a summer we are having! I checked the radar at 10:00 PM. Fugly, real fugly. :-c

No doubt, I will be up for awhile, making sure I don't see the wicked witch of the west riding her bicycle past my window. Oh my!

More heat and humidity on Saturday....and it finally drops to the lower 80F range on Sunday. Back into the 90F+ range by mid-week. Double oh my!

Bear

EDIT: I hate my electric bill.

Last edited:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
More storms are plowing through NW Ohio and SE Michigan. The tornado sirens went off a short while ago. Certainly not in the "all clear" zone because a look at the weather radar shows a long line of storms pushing toward Swanton (and points east and southeast), Heavy rain, hail, strong winds, more possible tornadoes......what a summer we are having! I checked the radar at 10:00 PM. Fugly, real fugly. :-c

Yeah, when hurricanes hit down here, everyone piles on about how nobody should live where hurricanes hit (don't forget Lonk Island; but they do). But when MIlwaukee streets are under 5 feet of water nobody says anything... sheesh, it's such a double standard.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been quite a hot summer here in NJ as compared to last summer when it rained most of the time. This year I have to pay the electric bill myself rather than mooching off the university. I hope it will cool down soon.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We had quite a bit of rainfall over the weekend, accompanied by lots of thunder and lightning. Many areas in the northwest suburbs of Chicago picked up between 5 and 7 inches of rain since Friday.

The grass is finally green again and everyone was out cutting their lawns today, after about a 2-3 week dry spell.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions, a little after 5:00.

98.8 °F - Clear
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 75 °F
Wind: 7.8 mph from the SW
Wind Gust: 10.1 mph
Pressure: 29.82 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 112 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles

This weather is forecast to last through the weekend.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Current conditions, a little after 5:00.

98.8 °F - Clear
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 75 °F
Wind: 7.8 mph from the SW
Wind Gust: 10.1 mph
Pressure: 29.82 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 112 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles

This weather is forecast to last through the weekend.

Current conditions, a little after 5:30.

Pool Temp: 85 F
Wind: Light buzz out of the Wine
Pressure: None on a Friday night
Visibility: Double

Richmond Jake

Current conditions, a little after 5:30.

[strikethrough] Pool Temp: 85 F [/strikethrough] Pool Temp: 93 F
Wind: Light buzz out of the Wine
Pressure: None on a Friday night
Visibility: Double

There, that's better. Now it's accurate.

Looks like the strikethrough thingy didn't work. :-$

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Excessive Heat Watch

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH HAS ISSUED AN EXCESSIVE
HEAT WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* MAXIMUM HEAT INDEX VALUES TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON ARE FORECAST TO REACH NEAR 110 DEGREES. TUESDAY
NIGHT...THE HEAT INDEX IS FORECAST TO NOT FALL BELOW 75 DEGREES.

Just Lovely.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
And in Dallas, this is what we're getting

2zgduab.jpg

boiker

Cyburbian
It was under 100 on Saturday, under 90 on Sunday and under 100 on Monday. This stretch of weather has been great for July-August. We'll be back in the oven by the end of the week-- 110 again.

C'mon monsoon, we need more thunderstorms!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It is so humid out there. Temps in the mid 80s, dewpoints in the mid 70s, with a heat index in the mid 90s. Yet it's so overcast out there, that you wouldn't even think it would be that hot and humid.

We've been getting our fair share of rain lately. Just got about 2 inches last night, with many areas getting even more.

Also, according to the NWS, the water temperature in Lake Michigan was 80 degrees on Sunday, the warmest it's been since 2001. The warmest temperature ever recorded in Lake Michigan was 81 in 1995.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
At NWS Louisville:

Site: Lou. International
Time: 18:56
Weather: Partly Cloudy
Visibility: 8 Mi.
Temp: 95
Dewpoint: 76
Humidity: 54
Winds: S 12
Heat Index:108
Barometer: 29.94

Tomorrow is expected to be the hottest day of the year so far, with 99 for a high and heat indices around 115F. 8-!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
At the NWS Louisville

Site: Lou. International
Time: 13:56
Weather: Partly Cloudy
Visibility: 10+
Temperature: 99
Dewpoint: 75
Humidity: 46
Winds: W 6
Heat Index: 112
Barometer: 29.91

Rygor

Cyburbian
In Central Illinois:

93°F

Partly Cloudy Skies
Temperature: 93°F
Heat Index: 107°F
Dew Point: 77°F

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There was a 10% chance of rain today and at the end of my lunch there was one tiny gray cloud in the sky above my topless and doorless Jeep. I just looked out the window here in my building and it looks like monsoon season has struck out of nowhere.

Oh well. At least the weather radar shows that the sun should be back out in about 30 minutes so that should give my seat time to dry out before I drive home.

Richmond Jake

Conditions as we approach 6:00 pm on the Florida panhandle.

91.2 °F Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 77 °F
Wind: 7.3 mph from the WSW
Wind Gust: 7.3 mph
Pressure: 30.02 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 105 °F

Want some of our summer, luckless?

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The streak has finally broken!

Up until today, for the past 46 days, the high temperature in Chicago has been at or above 80 degrees, the longest in recorded meteorological history in the city.

Today, the temperature hovered between the upper 60s and lower 70s. It was nice. Yesterday was nicer though, since it was sunny. Today it was cloudy. But I'll take it.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
August so far

Over 100 every day

And it's going to continue through next week as well. Good thing I decided to pass on doing the flowerbeds this year. The 2+ weeks without rain would be the death of anything I actually wanted in the beds.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We have the "remnants" as the weather guys call it, of T.D. #5, about to rotate over us for the third time in what, a week and a half? The storm that won't die!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The streak has finally broken!

Up until today, for the past 46 days, the high temperature in Chicago has been at or above 80 degrees, the longest in recorded meteorological history in the city.

Today, the temperature hovered between the upper 60s and lower 70s. It was nice. Yesterday was nicer though, since it was sunny. Today it was cloudy. But I'll take it.

Yep. This has been locally the hottest summer ever (at least as long as they have been keeping meteorological records).

Planit

Cyburbian
A very heavy downpour woke us this morning - lots of rain with ligthening and thunder. The kid slept through it.

Several creeks are coming out of their banks and it was a slow go coming into work. I stopped to get gas and couldn't use the credit card because their satelitte connection was down.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
First morning it hasn't been 80 degrees and humid in a while. It was nice driving with the windows down this morning.

Richmond Jake

At this hour....
91 °F (33 °C) Fair
Humidity: 64 %
Wind Speed: SW 7 MPH
Barometer: 29.78" (1009.4 mb)
Dewpoint: 77 °F (25 °C)
Heat Index: 104 °F (40 °C)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this hour....

Ick.

66°F Cloudy
Humidity: 93%
Wind Speed: NNE 6 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in
Cloud Cover: 100 %
Dew Point: 64 °F

3/4" more rain coming tonight. It's probably rained that much already today.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Hit 107 today. You can't imagine how good the mid 90's feel after 3 or 4 weeks of 100 plus!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hit 107 today. You can't imagine how good the mid 90's feel after 3 or 4 weeks of 100 plus!

It's a lovely 65F with a damp breeze blowing. All the windows are open and I will sleep well tonight.

kms

Cyburbian
It's cool and pleasant here. When I checked last night, today's projected high temp was 73.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
It was 53F on the walk to work this morning.

I noticed some leaves changing in the Berkshires.

It feels too early for fall!

It is currently: 59F & cloudy
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 56°
Wind: From NNE at 6mph

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
It was 53F on the walk to work this morning.

I noticed some leaves changing in the Berkshires.

It feels too early for fall!

It is currently: 59F & cloudy
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 56°
Wind: From NNE at 6mph

Don't worry - we'll probably have a couple of days in the 80s and 90s in mid-September. :r:

zman

Cyburbian
Finally, we are below 80 degrees for a high temp. The autumn winds are blowing here on the high plains. :D

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Record Stretch of Warmth but also a Record Stretch of No Real Heat. So says the NWS Chicago office.

As stated earlier, a new record for most 80 degree days was set (46 days in a row were 80 or above this summer), and a record number of consecutive 79+ degree days continues (currently 54 days of 79+ degree whether; the previous record was 43 days back in 1955).

However, we haven't had a real heat wave this summer. The mercury has not reached 95 degrees since August 2006. This is the longest stretch of days in Chicago weather history that no 95+ degree days have been recorded (1,482 days and counting). The previous record was back in 1902-05.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=56920&source=0

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
makings for a Nice Day - low 54 high 82, sunny, wind from the NE. :)

then there is the Dentist appointment for a crown. :not:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It was 58 this morning. I always find it funny when it starts moving towards fall how cold 58 feels.

Perfect weather for two days... high of 78 low of 57today, tomorrow high of 74 low of 58. I love Fall weather!

Rygor

Cyburbian
Been keeping the windows open for the past day or two. Went for a walk last night and it was absolutely perfect. About 72 degrees, light breeze.

Right now it is:
75F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Feels Like: 75F
Winds: E at 5mph

Richmond Jake

Fall arrived on the Florida panhandle. Our lows this morning were in the low 70's. I'm taking tomorrow afternoon off to enjoy low 90's temps by the pool. :h: :wine:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hurricane Earl comin' my way - batten down the hatches, find shelter for those lobster boats - all busy on the municipal piers today - nothin' like talk of weatha' comin'

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
HEADLINE: Weather Officials: Two Tornadoes Swept Through NYC
http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/top...er-officials--two-tornadoes-swept-through-nyc

HIGHLIGHT:
The National Weather Service said that the first tornado touched down in Park Slope, Brooklyn with winds of 80 mph after 5 p.m. Thursday and traveled two miles northeast.

The second tornado touched down about two-and-a-half miles south of Flushing, Queens and traveled north to Bayside with winds of up to 100 mph, before lifting over the waters. Middle Village and Forest Hills, Queens were the neighborhoods hit hardest.