• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
HEADLINE: Weather Officials: Two Tornadoes Swept Through NYC
http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/top...er-officials--two-tornadoes-swept-through-nyc

HIGHLIGHT:

We haven't heard from Seana in a while. Lady, if you still lurk, let us know that you are A-OK in NYC. If I remember correctly, you hang in Queens.
_____

Here in NW OH it has been average or slightly-below average for a couple weeks. This has been a welcome change for a Bear that doesn't fit well with a coat of 90+F days. And I see the ole' forecast has a near-90F day plopped into Wednesday. Ugh.

Early this Saturday morning.....mid-40F range. Me like! It will be upper 60F range later today, but some rain possible.

Bear

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It's been one of those summers:

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOUISVILLE KY
308 PM EDT TUE SEP 21 2010
...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT LOUISVILLE KY...
A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 97 DEGREES WAS SET AT LOUISVILLE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AT 253 PM EDT. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 96 DEGREES SET IN 1895. TEMPERATURES MAY STILL RISE A DEGREE OR TWO THIS AFTERNOON. A FINAL RECORD REPORT WILL BE SENT OUT ONCE THE HIGHEST TEMPERATURE FOR THE DAY IS REACHED.

We're also on track to set the record for most days with highs in the 90s. We're currently at 80 and the record is 81. We have 90s forecast for the next several days. Did I hear someone say "Fall is coming?":not:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had some pretty good thunderstorms roll through the Detroit area this morning. I live in the northern burbs and at about 4:00 a.m. it sounded as if the storm was directly over my bedroom with a constant stream of thunder and lightning for about 10 - 15 minutes. It rained and was windy, but no damage anywhere that I know of. Just a good ole' thunderstorm.

It had been a while since we had had one of those. Too bad it didn't occur in the evening when I could have sat on the porch and watched it.

btrage

Cyburbian
70 MPH straight line wind gusts in Grand Rapids last night. The combination of wind and rain amount was quite impressive.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It's been one of those summers:
Did I hear someone say "Fall is coming?":not:

What he said.

The heat wave that has gripped the area this summer — which ties for the third warmest since records have been kept, with 64 days of 90-degree temperatures — will continue today and Thursday, forecasters say.

The 98 degrees recorded on Tuesday afternoon set a record, topping the 95 recorded Sept. 21, 1955.

area is currently 11.5 inches shy of normal rainfall for the year
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/sep/22/summer-fades-but-heat-stays/?partner=RSS

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
My neighborhood was among the hardest-hit from the severe storms last night. A 72 MPH wind-gust was clocked a few blocks from me, and the winds have caused the streets to now be cluttered with leaves and sent two trees crashing down along the major highway near me. Also, we got a brief hailstorm (only nickel-sized hail though) for about 5 minutes.

A little farther east, a roof was blown off an industrial building.

Summer's not over yet apparently. It was in the upper 80s yesterday and it's supposed to be in the upper 80s again on Thursday, before cooling down again.

boiker

Cyburbian
Usually by mid-September Phoenix can start cooling off-- that is sub-100 daytime highs. Last weekend we broke records on consecutive days including latest in the year a temperature of 110 or more was recorded. It was 111 on Sunday. Today, the air is thick with humidity that those back east get (dewpoint is 73 right now...gah). It is supposed to rain. Currently, bright sunshine and heading towards the mid to upper 90s.

By October, we should be in the low-90s to mid-80s for highs with cool, beautiful nights. Just a bit longer.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Averages here this time of year are 70sF hi and 50sF low. Yesterday we actually reached 98F and the low this am was 82F, forecast for another high ~97F.

As JNA mentioned, my lawn is also a nice golden wheat brown from lack of rainfall. Crackles when you walk on it.:-o

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Finally a cool day - 62 and partly cloudy.
and
a chance of rain through tues.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Good morning from a very rainy NC. Since Sunday we have had over seven inches of rain, with more expected today from the Tropical Storm. Anyone have a raft I can borrow to get home tonight?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Rain here too... I think we're supposed to get, over the next 48 hours, enough rain to make up for the drought earlier in the month. :r:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Unless we have another heat wave, I think yesterday was the last day in the pool. :( The water was down to 84 F. This is early. :(

I removed the Gator thingy from the bottom.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a beautiful fall day here yesterday, but it got pretty cool overnight. I think these are the last days like this and I am going to have to break out the fall attire and coat soon.

kms

Cyburbian
I turned on the furnace for the first time this year. I was trying to wait, but the house has a chill. A friend who lives a few hours to the south in the mountains of WV expects snow showers tonight.

Planit

Cyburbian
Good morning from a very rainy NC. Since Sunday we have had over seven inches of rain, with more expected today from the Tropical Storm. Anyone have a raft I can borrow to get home tonight?

Good thing you weren't at the state planning conference on the coast. It rained sideways in the middle of Tropical Storm Nicole all day Thursday. Got 8-12 inches of rain on Thursday alone and 18" over the three days. Let's jsut say te mobile tours didn't go over too well...

Tide had to drive back and forth from his house to the conf...he needed floatation.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Good thing you weren't at the state planning conference on the coast. It rained sideways in the middle of Tropical Storm Nicole all day Thursday. Got 8-12 inches of rain on Thursday alone and 18" over the three days. Let's jsut say te mobile tours didn't go over too well...

Tide had to drive back and forth from his house to the conf...he needed floatation.

Oh goodness, maybe they will be rethinking a coastal location in the future during hurricane season :-o Next year is in Charlotte, right?

Now that we have had a little drought relief, the grass has greened up a bit, just in time for fall to start and kill it again. On that note, I had to wear a light jacket this morning, summer is officially over.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Beautiful fall weather in Northern Illinois all week-long. Today and Monday, it was in the 60s with lows in the 30s. Wednesday-Saturday, the forecast calls for highs in the low 70s with lows in the 40s. Sunshine everyday.

Although this time of year, it's hard to control the thermostat. We've been fluctuating between opening windows in the morning, using the a/c or fans in the afternoon, and then using heat at night earlier in the week when it got down into the 30s. Same as when you go outside. Sweatshirts are definitely needed at night and in the morning, but not so much in the afternoon.

The fall foliage has been really starting to show. In past falls, it seems like the fall foliage was rather short-lived, but this year, the colors started in mid to late September and are likely to continue through most of October.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Way Above Normal

Temps here in NW Ohio (and over much of the Great Lakes) are considerably above normal. Today we are expecting mid-80F range temperatures. Normal high is mid-60F range temperatures.

Sunny, no rain expected until (maybe) tonight, tomorrow, or Tuesday.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It's October 11 & it's 89 degrees.
Yesterday it stayed above 80 degrees for nearly 6 hrs.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The past few days we've experienced what used to be called an "indian summer" (really just a warm front that occurs in fall). With temps around 80, I'm sure this weekend was the last gasp of summer. The leaves are approaching peak colour and the temps will soon be back down in the lower-mid 50's like we normally see this time of year.

Planit

Cyburbian
Hot here as well - near record heat in the mid-to-upper 80s for the next 2 days. The calendar says its fall, but something is not listening.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Highs in the low 80's all this week with lows around 60. I love Fall in Texas. Y'all.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Fall has definitely arrived. We're at peak colours right now. Highs around 60 and lows around 40.

We had 2.5" rain last night and a wicked-bad lightning show, are now under a flash flood warning and are expecting strong storms this afternoon (winds up to 80mph and the possible isolated twister). So glad I have a PC meeting tonight ...

I hope everyone got through it okay!

Last edited:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Fall has definitely arrived. We're at peak colours right now. Highs around 60 and lows around 40.

We were at peak color. With the strong winds we had over the weekend, many of the leaves are now off the trees... more to rake. :not:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here in NW Ohio our autumn temperatures have (mostly) been above-normal. This week the temperatures are back to normal-to-slightly-below. When I walked in this afternoon, after the long workday, I noticed that the interior of the house was quite cold. The furnace is now on, for the first time this autumn.

BTW, we are getting quotes on a new furnace. Our furnace looks (and acts) like something from the Fred Flinstone Era. Yabba-dabba-damn-it's-cold-in-here-doo!

Bear

btrage

Cyburbian
Still haven't turned the furnace on. The thermostat has been getting down to 60 or so overnight, but then the house warms back up to the mid 60s throughout the day/early evening.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Central Texas doesn't get autumn :( (or winter, for that matter). Our autumn is the period of time in October and November when the temperature dip into the 70's and 80's. Usually by the time this weather goes away, it's immediately replaced with Central Texas winter, which is temperatures in the 50's and 60's (with occasional dips into the 40's and 30's - which, naturally in Austin, requires locals to don heavy down-feather coats, gloves, and ski caps :r:).

I will be running my air conditioner through about mid-November, and then sporadically running it when needed between then and March, when it goes back on full-time.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Utah generally sees very short Autumns. The weather should have turned by now, but every so often we have a long, long Indian Summer followed by a gorgeous long Autumn and it's this year...it's miserable to be indoors today.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Heat came on last night. Steam heat I don't pay for and don't control. Comes on in the middle of the night and can get quite noisy. Wasn't even that cold inside last night, personally I think they could of waited a few more weeks.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
There was frost this morning. It was not forecast though. I had to spend a couple minutes scraping my car windows. It's kind of annoying when you have that surprise that you didn't allow enough time for before work.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Central Texas doesn't get autumn :( (or winter, for that matter). Our autumn is the period of time in October and November when the temperature dip into the 70's and 80's. Usually by the time this weather goes away, it's immediately replaced with Central Texas winter, which is temperatures in the 50's and 60's (with occasional dips into the 40's and 30's - which, naturally in Austin, requires locals to don heavy down-feather coats, gloves, and ski caps :r:).

I'm a little jealous of you right now as I look forward to months of cold and snow. :( I don't know how I'd handle Texas summers though.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Camping this weekend... it is going to get down to 35 tonight, but should be around 70 both days this weekend. I guess it is almost November, but we are having huge temperature drops and rises within 24 hours recently.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We finally had some rain over the weekend. Up until then, it had been a pretty dry October. We're expecting potentially severe weather tonight with an approaching cold front, followed by very windy conditions during the middle of the week. Parts of IL & WI are under a High Wind Warning through Wednesday and Lakes Michigan and Superior are under Storm Warnings.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Fall tornado season started down here this weekend. Look out if you live NE or ENE of Texas, they're headed your way.

kltoomians

Cyburbian
SE Oregon

Woke up this morning to find my car covered with a light dusting of snow...I had to dig my ice scraper out of the trunk...more snow tomorrow, followed by rain. It's gonna be a long winter. Last year it snowed up until late May.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wind On The Way

Hoo, boy....we have some nasty weather heading for the Great Lakes. The weather forecasters are saying this will be a "historically deep" low pressure system that moves slowly over the Upper Lakes. The isotherms will be incredibly tight. Winds may approach 70 MPH. One weather forecast for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan warned of significant wind damage to dwellings on the Lake Michigan shore. Here in NW Ohio the forecast includes winds over 50 MPH.

Possible tornadoes are also in the forecast. It will be an interesting follow-up to the very mild weather of late. Today it was in the mid-70F range, about 20 degrees above normal. Saturday it was in the 80s. A very mild autumn.

Hold on to your hat!

Bear

EDIT: Forgot to mention.....similar circumstances many moons ago led to the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald in Lake Superior. The "Gales of November".

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It should be windy enough today that by the time I get off of work Grand Rapids will have been lifted up and relocated to the western suburbs of Detroit. Or at least that's what the local weather forecasters would have you believe by all the talk of the world ending winds that are supposedly coming our way this afternoon... :r:

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
Today was garbage day in my hood. Due to the wind warnings, I kept the giant rolling can in the yard. Heck I only put it out once a month anyways.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Tornado Watch
Wind Advisory

Local Radar showing a storm line from Terre Haute, IN south of Paducah. KY.

The Central Great Lakes Sector radar mosaic is a better picture of the line.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Bright red sky through the broken clouds this morning at sunrise. My son noted the old saw about 'red sky in the morning, sailors take warning'. Should get interesting in a little while.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Crazy windy this morning... it is only going to get worse so they say... I hope that I don't have to run across the entire field to get my stupid trash cans. Winds up to 60 mph are expected around lunch time here...