• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
There's an escarpment a short distance to the west of me that rises about 250 feet above downtown. Watched the storm come over the top of it -- with some pretty serious wind gusts (local reports say to 60mph) then positively blinding rain. All in all, I think we were lucky here.

btrage

Cyburbian
The tornado hype machine was alive and kicking in West Michigan this morning.

How can there be an hour long Tornado Warning for multiple counties and not a single tornado reported????? At least not here in Grand Rapids.

Planit

Cyburbian
Big storms in the region last night. The town next door had reports of an industry losing part of its roof and a couple houses hurt pretty bad. Out in the western part of the county here several houses damaged, one gone and possible one fatality.

We carved pumpkins in the garage last night at our house with lots of rain coming down but only a couple burts of wind.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Our region ended up alright... a couple porch roofs removed, lots of trash cans all over the place, but no one hurt, and not all that much property damage. Power lines were down, but that is expected.

Planit

Cyburbian
Big storms in the region last night. The town next door had reports of an industry losing part of its roof and a couple houses hurt pretty bad. Out in the western part of the county here several houses damaged, one gone and possible one fatality.

We carved pumpkins in the garage last night at our house with lots of rain coming down but only a couple burts of wind.

Article of storm damage with picture of industry. Evidently a couple of industries got damaged...
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/27/1789983/apparent-tornado-hits-area-counties.html

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that we had the lowest pressure recorded of any storm, equal to the low pressure of a Category 3 hurricane. Wind gusts up to 61 MPH have been recorded. Waves of 12 feet are being recorded on southern Lake Michigan, with waves over 21 feet up north. I have also heard that Lake Superior also has waves over 20 feet.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today it was 75 and humid with intermittent showers. Day after tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 50s again. I wish Mother Nature would pick a temperature and stick with it.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The recent windstorm began on Tuesday morning with severe weather in Northern Illinois and NW Indiana. The National Weather Service has determined that four tornadoes hit the area, including an EF1 near Ashton, IL, an EF1 near Elburn, IL, an EF2 near Peotone, IL, and an EF0 near Malden, IN. A tornado warning was issued for the Elburn tornado for Kane County, which is where I was at at the time, but I was farther north in the county, so I just encountered a lot of rain and wind.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=59038&source=0

Planit

Cyburbian
big storms came through again last evening

evidently one was just behind me as I drove home.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Hang in there, baby!

Right now, outside my window, is a tree with a solitary red leaf. All of his brothers and sisters have been either blown away or gotten sucked up by a power rake. A lone sentinel remains unbowed and resolute, refusing to surrender to abscission.

Brave red leaf, I salute you!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Yeah, it was in the upper 60s to lower 70s here in the Chicago area today. Tomorrow might be the last day in the 60s for awhile, so I think I might go put up Christmas lights. I won't turn them on until after Thanksgiving though.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
65°/18° outside now, and sunny. In Buffalo. In November.

Buffalo doesn't have a fall so much as a struggle between winter and summer.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
68 here today. I wore a warm coat this morning, but this afternoon it is amazing. It was great yesterday too. Tomorrow is 70 and Sunday is 55. Seems the cold front is moving in on Saturday night...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear it was about 60F today. I work in a basement without a window now so didn't get to see it til I left and it had dipped closer to 45F. The sunset was pretty though.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear is a tad north of Hink-Buck's location but the weather is quite similar. Mid-60F range today but the weekend will bring drops in temperatures and eventually a cold rain. Temperatures on Sunday and Monday will be just about normal for NW Ohio.....high 40F range.

This week we had numerous school closings because of extreme fog conditions. This happens around these here parts every spring and every fall. The schools close more often for fog than they do for winter weather.

The Upper Peninsula has a winter weather advisory. Usually by mid-November they have had considerable snow, especially in the central highlands. Al Gore must have visited the area, :-c;)

Bear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a gorgeous bright and sunny 62F today. Excellent for touring Philadelphia University with RT today.

kms

Cyburbian
Don't tell the guys in the other thread, but I put up Christmas lights today while it was sunny and 70. I'm not turning them on yet, but didn't want to put them up in cold temps.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Welcome winter

After a blissfully long, wet and temperate summer and a lazy fade into an equally pleasant autumn, winter finally came to Helena with a hard cold wind and snow. At 7:30 it was snowing lightly with a strong breeze. By 7:45 it was really coming down and sticking. Two hours later and there is more than an inch.

I picked the right day to get my snow tires put on my car.

Sadly, the lone red leaf fell from the tree outside my office window. To every season . . .

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Finally rain, :)

I hate rain. It is extremely annoying right now. That and it didn't rain when my garden needed it. So what good is it now? It just makes the roads slippery....:-{

Queen B

Cyburbian
I went out to do a field check today and there were huge wet SNOWFLAKES. They did not stick but YUK...

boiker

Cyburbian
Starting my 3rd winter in Arizona and I have completely forgotten that by now it is cold in much of the USA. It'll be 78 and sunny here today for what its worth :p

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Starting my 3rd winter in Arizona and I have completely forgotten that by now it is cold in much of the USA. It'll be 78 and sunny here today for what its worth :p

Oh way to rub it in.;) It's 38 and cloudy here in Chicagoland, with a wind chill of 33.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
God, what a miserable day out. Overcast, raining, most of the threes bare, yuk. 55 degrees outside, but it feels much, much colder.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Weird day; 70 degrees with thunderstorm warnings and a tornado watch.

otterpop

Cyburbian
It was zero this morning and snowing. It is supposed to warm up a bit later in the week.

I am enjoying it for now. Splitting firewood (why I don't remember to do it until I need the wood I am not sure) is fun. I like driving the nasty roads - it makes driving a challenge rather than mindless routine.

My son and I went sledding on Saturday. We drank hot chocolate when we got cold and did some more sledding. Later we sat in a warm Pizza Hut, ate pizza and talked.

Of course around February I will pretty much be sick of it.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Northern Illinois definitely got hammered with severe weather on this late November day. Luckily, my area in the far northwest suburbs was spared, as most of the action went to the south of us, or stayed to the northwest of us.

The area just northeast of Rockford (which is about 30 miles northwest of me) was hit especially hard. A suspected tornado or tornadoes hit the area around Caledonia, where houses were damaged, barns were flattened, and grain silos tipped over. A bus tipped over and at least six children were injured. The offical NWS storm report reads as follows:
0300 PM TORNADO 3 E LOVES PARK 42.34N 88.95W
11/22/2010 WINNEBAGO IL BROADCAST MEDIA

ESTIMATED 1/2 MILE WIDE TORNADO SPOTTED ON GROUND AT THE
INTERSECTION OF ARGYLE RD AND HARLEM RD EAST OF ROCK CUT
STATE PARK NEAR CALEDONIA. POWER LINES DOWN AND DEBRIS IN
THE AIR REPORTED IN THE AREA.

*** 6 INJ *** DAMAGE IN CALEDONIA AREA NEAR ARGYLE ROAD
AND HARLEM ROAD AND PAULSON ROADS...ONE BUSINESS ALMOST
COMPLETELY DESTROYED...OTHER HOMES AND GARAGES PARTIALLY
DOWN. GRAIN SILO DESTROYED AND LEAKING GRAIN ONTO STREET.
LARGE BARN COMPLETELY DOWN. LARGE SUBSTATION DAMAGED AND
HIGH TENSION POWERLINES DOWN. BUS ROLLED OVER AT PAULSON
AND HARLEM ROAD.6 CHILDREN INJURED...SENT TO HOSPITAL.
ALL INFORMATION REGARDING TIME AND LOCATIONS IS
PRELIMINARY UNTIL DAMAGE SURVEY CONDUCTED.

This tornado continued on through northern Boone County and into the Harvard area. Damage assessment teams will be out tomorrow. This area is no stranger to out-of-season tornadoes, as exemplified by an EF3 tornado which hit the area in early January 2008. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_2008_tornado_outbreak_sequence)

To the south of me, another storm brought funnel clouds and golf-ball size hail to eastern DeKalb and west-central Kane Counties. This storm also produced heavy rainfall across DuPage and Cook Counties, the latter of which is currently under a Flash Flood Warning.

Needless to say, severe weather can occur anytime, anywhere.

I think cch is around this area (but I think farther west)...I know she hasn't posted in awhile, but hope she's alright.

Edit: Here's a Chicago Sun-Times article about the tornado, which includes a video of the storm: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2915150,tornado-loves-park-112210.article

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
High today is suppossed to be 73, but the high Friday is suppossed to be 58 (and I'm going to playing golf on Friday - bbbrrrrrr!)

This is pretty typical here this time of year. A couple warmer days followed by several colder ones as we see winter ramble in.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The storm I mentioned a few posts up was indeed a tornado...an EF2 with maximum wind speeds of 135 mph that was on the ground for 16 miles, going form just north of Rockford, to just northwest of Harvard. 11 high tension towers were knocked down, a school bus was flipped over injuring 6, and dozens of buildings were damaged or destroyed. A few buildings that were damaged were also damaged by the tornado that happened in January 2008. Talk about bad luck!

Oh, and today, it was in the 20s-30s most of the day. Yesterday, there were record highs in the 60s and tornadoes. Gotta love weather in Illinois.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
It was 82º, sunny, and a little humid out today in Austin. It reminded me more of Houston in early May than Central Texas in November.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Rain tonight with a high in the mid 30's. Tomorrow chance of rain high in the 60's...

What a weird weather year...

btrage

Cyburbian
Today's the first day this season where I've stepped outside and thought to myself, "Damn, it's cold."

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here in NW Ohio the temps earlier in the week set all-time high records for the date, near 70F. The cold front is now meandering its way through, bringing with it a cold rain. Thanksgiving Day will be somewhat of a turkey, with more cold rain and temperatures near 50F. Friday the bottom nearly drops out as snow showers and high temps about 33F ring in the madness of Christmas Shopping. (Not for me, thank the stars.)

The Dakotas are going to have a tough Turkey Day.....blizzard conditions. :-c

Bear

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions:

Mostly Cloudy
80 °F (27 °C)
Humidity: 64 %
Wind Speed: SW 18 G 28 MPH
Barometer: 29.85" (1012.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 67 °F (19 °C)
Heat Index: 82 °F (28 °C

Seriously, I'm ready for autumn to strike.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It's cold here in the Southern Tier of NY ... high twenties ... but down here away from the Lake Erie shore line and down near the PA border, we didn't have anything but a dusting of snow. Further north, almost into the Buffalo city line from the weather reports and weather radar, they've gotten serious snow -- and will be getting more. Of course, with lake effect snow, a wind shift of 2 degrees can me the difference between getting a foot of snow and a dusting!

btrage

Cyburbian
First real snow fall of the year here in West Michigan. And yes, most people forgot how to drive in the snow. Idiots.

boiker

Cyburbian
cold phoenix

It was 32 in my backyard this morning. It didn't crack 65 yesterday. Too cold for the valley of the sun. I even had to put on a jacket today.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Crappy weather here: heavy rain for the last 24-36 hours. :-{

My dog doesn't want to go outside. I can't say I blame her. :not: