• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
First snow of the year here in Northern Illinois as flurries/snow showers last night and today have brought a slight powdery dusting across the area. It's cold and windy as well. Current temp is 24 and the wind chill is 11.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Oh yeah. 28 outside, and I'm hearing thunder. Thundersnow is usually a sign of bad things to come.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Oh yeah. 28 outside, and I'm hearing thunder. Thundersnow is usually a sign of bad things to come.

The Southtowns -- from Hamburg/Blasdell into South Buffalo -- got a foot or more yesterday, and are likely to get hit again today. The Channel 4 weather guy, Mike Cejka, thought the snow band would shift north, bringing more snow into the more of the city and into the northern and eastern suburbs which haven't gotten much yet. Orchard Park made the Weather Channel this morning.

Then there's the NYS Thruway (I-90), which has been closed since last night between Exits 55 (Lackawanna) and 50 (Youngman) because of at least one jack-knifed semi. Another tractor trailer jackknife closed Exit 57 earlier this morning. It's soooo much fun with these truckers who think they can roll along at 70 mph through slush!

Meanwhile, we hillbillies and rednecks down here in Pennsyltucky are looking at an inch on the ground, bare roads, and the possibility of maybe another inch or two before tomorrow.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We got snow yesterday. Today it is still cold, but not under 32 anymore. I hate slush. We have lots of slush today...

Jazzman

Cyburbian
Anybody here from the New York/New Jersey area? Everybody here says in the winter it usually only gets down into the teens..........is this true? That'd be great news for me. Even in Alabama it gets down into the 10s in the winter, I figured it'd be much colder up here. I just checked weather.com and Huntsville (where I lived for five years) and here in New Brunswick, they're at the same temperature right now (39 degrees).

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I remember winters in central New Jersey that were downright brutal. Indeed, historians will tell you that the Continental Army's winter in Morristown, NJ made Valley Forge look like a day at the beach. (VF had better publicists after the war ...)

So, whoever told you it'd be in the teens was probably talking about possible high temperatures as opposed to lows.

The One

Cyburbian
Ahh.....

70 degrees here today....no wind....no clouds.....smell of flowers in the air.......

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The Southtowns -- from Hamburg/Blasdell into South Buffalo -- got a foot or more yesterday, and are likely to get hit again today. The Channel 4 weather guy, Mike Cejka, thought the snow band would shift north, bringing more snow into the more of the city and into the northern and eastern suburbs which haven't gotten much yet. Orchard Park made the Weather Channel this morning.

Meanwhile, in the Northtowns ...

9sQuC.jpg

Yes, you can still see some grass on the ground.

For those unfamiliar with Buffalo-area geography, the Northtowns (northern suburbs) are as flat as a board, with the biggest slope being the tame Onondaga Escarpment. The foothills of the Appalachian Mountains begin in the Southtowns, adding an additional challenge to those living there.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
70 degrees here today....no wind....no clouds.....smell of flowers in the air.......

yea... stupid, gross flowers... ugh who wants to smell those....;)

I bet the heat just ferments the smell too... nasty... glad I am here in the rainy, slush filled winter wonderland...

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Fall, Winter, Spring. It's all so transient in Dallas. I spent a couple hours yesterday raking leaves and the dandelions were starting to bloom.

Jazzman

Cyburbian
I remember winters in central New Jersey that were downright brutal. Indeed, historians will tell you that the Continental Army's winter in Morristown, NJ made Valley Forge look like a day at the beach. (VF had better publicists after the war ...)

So, whoever told you it'd be in the teens was probably talking about possible high temperatures as opposed to lows.

I've gotten conflicting answers. I hear people say that, but then I hear people say it never gets colder than that. I guess I'll find out in due time. ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

I've gotten conflicting answers. I hear people say that, but then I hear people say it never gets colder than that. I guess I'll find out in due time. ;)

Another Ex-Pat Jersey Boy backing up Gedunker.
http://www.historynet.com/americas-worst-winter-ever.htm/1

Jazzman

Cyburbian

Sounds pretty brutal. :D

Obviously I'm new to the area and not knowledgable about the climate. But as a graduate student, I can't help but ask questions. If global warming is real, wouldn't it be fair to say that 1780 would be way colder than 2010?

Also isn't Morristown way colder than where I live (New Brunswick)? It is at a higher elevation up in the mountains, and further inland than here.

New Market, AL (near Huntsville) once recorded an overnight low of -27 F (http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wcstates.htm), and that was much more recently (January 30, 1966 to be exact). Nonetheless, I would never tell anybody that when you move to North Alabama, you can expect it to get down to 30 below.

I just want to get a sense of what's typical, as opposed to extremes.

Last edited:

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Its rare to get accumulating snow this early in the season in these parts...but over an inch so far...

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The latest snowfall brought about 4 to 6 inches across most parts of the greater Chicago area. It snowed from pretty much midnight on Saturday morning until mid-afternoon. Daily snowfall records were set at both Rockford and O'Hare of 5.6 and 5.1 inches respectively.

I just went for a walk with my dog and the snow combined with all the Christmas lights makes for a beautiful winter wonderland out there. :)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Missed The Clipper

Folks here in NW Ohio missed the Canadian Clipper that waltzed through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, mid-to-south Indiana, and southern Ohio. Just temps a tad below normal. No shovels. No salt on the roads. No icy sidedwalks. No charming holiday scenes.

Drat.

Bear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like NJ had an interesting year weather-wise..........one of the wettest/snowiest winters on record, but one of the driest summers on record. The worst of both worlds........

2010 was an interesting year for weather in NJ. It was the snowiest one of the four I've been living here. Also this past summer was very hot and dry, the summer of 2009 saw incessant rain. The other two years were a mixed bag, a few inches of snow here and there during the winter and pleasant summer conditions. You and I live in an area where the weather pattern breaks so it tends to be a little milder than what happens north, south, or west of us.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Sounds pretty brutal. :D

Obviously I'm new to the area and not knowledgable about the climate. But as a graduate student, I can't help but ask questions. If global warming is real, wouldn't it be fair to say that 1780 would be way colder than 2010?

Also isn't Morristown way colder than where I live (New Brunswick)? It is at a higher elevation up in the mountains, and further inland than here.

New Market, AL (near Huntsville) once recorded an overnight low of -27 F (http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wcstates.htm), and that was much more recently (January 30, 1966 to be exact). Nonetheless, I would never tell anybody that when you move to North Alabama, you can expect it to get down to 30 below.

I just want to get a sense of what's typical, as opposed to extremes.

I would expect coastal NJ (ie, eastern part) to be considerably milder than the interior of the state, especially the more "mountainous" parts.

OTOH, the change in average temperature between 1780 and 2010, even with global warming, wouldn't be very much. Moreover, scientists know that there are long term weather cycles -- hot/cold, wet/dry -- that affect large areas of the earth for long periods of time (the so-called Ice Age was one). One of the big questions about global warming is whether it is man-made or whether it is part of a larger temperature cycle acerbated by human activity.

The major immediate impact of global warming that people would see would be more extreme weather than rather actually "colder" or "hotter" temperatures: more intense winter storms, more and bigger hurricanes, etc.

Planit

Cyburbian
BBBBRRRRR!!!

It's finally gotten cold here. Started okay Saturday morning on the golf course, but by the 14th hole it started snowing and by the 18th, the fairways and greens were covered.

Today's high 37 and low of 16 - tomorrow high 35 and low 15 before a slight warming trend.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Snow, snow, snow! It started accumulating late yesterday and we have enough on the ground to result in a two-hour delay for the schools.

It is 19F. The snow is nice and light and fluffy. It would be a nice day to stay at home, in jammies, with a cup of cocoa, and snuggly pets.

Instead I'm in for a looooooooooooooooooog day and night at the office. Bleck.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We got maybe 2 cm here...first proper accumulation of the season. It's gotten a bit colder, but not that much.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It was 18 degrees here this morning with wind chill. Just some sprinkling of snow over the last day or so, but the wind and cold have made it bad.

I like 31 and snowing.

Jazzman

Cyburbian
Good to know, Kim.

Linda D said:
I would expect coastal NJ (ie, eastern part) to be considerably milder than the interior of the state, especially the more "mountainous" parts.

OTOH, the change in average temperature between 1780 and 2010, even with global warming, wouldn't be very much. Moreover, scientists know that there are long term weather cycles -- hot/cold, wet/dry -- that affect large areas of the earth for long periods of time (the so-called Ice Age was one). One of the big questions about global warming is whether it is man-made or whether it is part of a larger temperature cycle acerbated by human activity.

The major immediate impact of global warming that people would see would be more extreme weather than rather actually "colder" or "hotter" temperatures: more intense winter storms, more and bigger hurricanes, etc.

Yes, it makes perfect sense for mountains to be colder than coasts. I live essentially just on the other side of Staten Island, not far from the coast at all.

As for global warming, I've heard this before too, and while I don't doubt it, I wonder.........if it's not actually getting any warmer, but rather more extreme (both with regards to cold and heat) why are the ice caps melting and sea levels rising? Wouldn't they just re-freeze?

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread and turn into a debate about climate change, I'm just asking questions.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After the 4 inches of snow we got, it's been bitterly cold around here. The temperature finally got to the teens today, rising out of the morning single digits, but the wind chills have been in the single digits or negative single digits. Around the end of the week, it's supposed to get back up to 30, but with a wintry mix currently predicted. I hate wintry mixes or freezing rain or any sort of ice. I'd rather have snow that is easily plowable and stays off the road.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
12 degrees this morning with a wind chill of 1. Stupid cold. Black ice oh how I hate you...

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Chilly morning here too...wind chills have us in the teens. That's way too cold for this Florida girl!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We only got 2-3", which is actually an ideal December snow. Not enough to be much of a nuisance with shovelling/driving, yet enough to cover the landscape and create those Currier & Ives scenes we so enjoy this time of year.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee. Welcome to NC, just wait til the ice gets here.

There was a funny quip from the Pres about the cold/snow here from a CNN article on the weather:

The brisk winter weather even caught President Obama off guard as he traveled from Washington to North Carolina to talk about the economy and taxes.

"It is good to be back in North Carolina," Obama said Monday. "Love North Carolina, although I have to say I came down here for slightly warmer weather. What's snow doing on the ground in North Carolina? Come on now."

I'm on my third winter here and no ice storms yet, knock on wood....

Jazzman

Cyburbian
The whole eastern half of the country (especially the Deep South) is going to be pretty damn cold for the next week or so.........right now it's the same temperature in Birmngham as it is here in New Jersey (33 degrees).

I just checked Birmingham's forecast for next week..........Monday's forecast calls for a high of only 24 degrees. Even on the coldest day of the year, we're usually not quite that cold. Daytime highs almost always make it to at least 30.

From what I understand, unusually warm autumns (which apparently they had down there) leads to very cold Decembers because during a warm autumn, cold air in the Arctic gets trapped in Alaska and Canada instead of plunging down south. So by the time the Arctic air finally makes it down south, it's been festering for months and has gotten colder and colder instead of moderating by pushing southward.

But I've also read that cold Decembers lead to mild Januarys and Februrarys, at least in the eastern U.S. Don't know how true that is but it's what I've read.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
A dusting of snow is predicted to brush through the northern suburbs tonight with a more major winter system expected on Saturday night. Right now, they're calling for rain changing to snow with several inches of accumulation possible, but it's still too early to forecast more precisely. An arctic blast is to follow, with low temperatures below zero and highs in the single digits.

toomanyclowns

Technically Friday afternoon here in New Zealand.. and my first forum post :D

Heading to a high of 20C today... sunny but cloudy. Love it. :h:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Extra cold this morning, and we are expected to get a snow storm this weekend... wonderful. Anyone in the middle of the US getting that storm now?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Extra cold this morning, and we are expected to get a snow storm this weekend... wonderful. Anyone in the middle of the US getting that storm now?

It had gotten my kids hopes up that we might get some serious snow action, but it appears the bulk of it will stay north of the Ohio Valley. Indeed, they're forecasting rain and possible T-storms ahead of the cold front reaching here. Then back down to seriously cold temps next week.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Looks like our Cyburbian friends in Wisconsin and Minnesota are in for some blizzard conditions. That will certainly put a grinchgrip on Christmas shopping this weekend. :-c

Here in NW Ohio we are expecting a high about 40F today, rain this evening, and that rain will change to snow during the night. Fulton County will probably get about 4 inches of the white stuff. After the front moves through the winds will be the problem, creating near whiteout conditions on the roads that criss-cross damn near the best farmland in the USA.

Temperatures next week will be in the high teens F and it will remain windy for a few days. Bring on the wind chills, baby! :-c:D

Bear

Mandatory Holiday Video Attached:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA45TnJQxhU

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I noticed that the entire state of Iowa is under a Blizzard Warning. I also noticed some of the counties had a very light pink shade to them and wondered what that meant. Well, I clicked on them and apparently it is a Civil Emergency Message. Like this one:

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE SOUTH
DAKOTA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY SIOUX FALLS SOUTH DAKOTA.

ABSOLUTELY NO TRAVEL IN SIOUX COUNTY TONIGHT. THE IOWA DEPARTMENT OF
TRANSPORTATION HAVE PULLED ALL REMAINING PLOWS AS OF 5 PM FOR THE
REST OF TONIGHT. ALL RURAL ROADS ARE OR SOON WILL BE IMPASSIBLE.
CITY STREETS ARE ALSO IMPASSIBLE. VISIBILITY IS DOWN TO ZERO IN
RURAL AREAS AND LITTLE IMPROVEMENT IN CONDITIONS IS EXPECTED
OVERNIGHT. RESCUE OF ANY STRANDED INDIVIDUALS TONIGHT MAY BE
IMPOSSIBLE. IF YOU DO BECOME STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.
:-c

This storm is expected to make its way into Northern Illinois. The entire Chicago forecast area is under a Winter Storm Warning, but it looks like we will see blizzard conditions (sustained winds greater than 35mph combined with snow and visibility to 1/4 mile or less for 3 or more hours), so I would not be surprised if we are upgraded to a blizzard warning. After seeing rain this afternoon, the snow is supposed to start tonight and reach its peak on Sunday morning. We could see about 4 to 8 inches of snow. The winds are also expected to pick up to 30 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph, creating lots of blowing snow and potential whiteout conditions combined with subzero wind chills. The temperature will fall throughout Sunday to zero. From then, the temperature is not expected to get above 10 until Wednesday.

chupacabra

Cyburbian
I was in Fairbanks last week for work. The forecast called for a low of -48F, but it ended up being just a balmy -30F.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Drove in near white-out conditions today from Springfield to my home base about 100 miles away. I had to go about 40 on the interstate in some places. Not fun.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's 11 out. Brrr. They closed schools today because of the icy conditions. We got a little snow (barely 3 inches preceeded by rain) but I guess the school closing is due to the ice.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It's 11 out. Brrr. They closed schools today because of the icy conditions. We got a little snow (barely 3 inches preceeded by rain) but I guess the school closing is due to the ice.

The same down here along the Ohio River. Wind Chill -5

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It is currently 6 with a wind chill of -13. Yes, it's cold, but I know it could be a lot colder. Saturday night and all of Sunday were pretty treacherous though. I had to miss a Christmas party with my friends because I was afraid of being stranded out there on Sunday. We got about 3 to 4 inches of snow, and it was all blowing around yesterday with winds gusting to 45 mph. The winds have subsided somewhat today, but some of the roads are still pretty bad. The low temperatures haven't allowed for things to melt and for the salt to work.

No school closings around here, expept in Northwest Indiana, where they are seeing heavy lake effect snow.