• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had to push two cars out of the snow and ice in one of the turnaround areas on the main road I take to get to work this morning so I could get across to the other side for my coffee and newspaper.

I also passed 4 or 5 semitrucks that were stuck after losing traction going up some slight inclines.

The county government just west of ours is shut down for the day, why can't ours ever close offices? :-{

Planit

Cyburbian
We received a dusting of snow yesterday, but I understand the mountains are expecting over a foot before Tuesday morning.

Here its around 30 with a strong breeze - bbbbrrrrrrrr

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The county government just west of ours is shut down for the day, why can't ours ever close offices? :-{

I can't remember ever having an office close due to weather. On really bad days it actually is best for me to get to work because I have less "other" stuff come through my door. I get more done, and it is usually nice and quiet.

On the weather note - last night was ugly around these parts. Roads were bad yesterday and last night, but this morning they were pretty good. Lots of spin outs and light crashes though reported. Snow + wind = black ice and poor visibility.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Well, here in snowy Chautauqua County, it's 10 degrees and snowing modestly (may an inch on my car since 8 am). After the rain yesterday, the snowplowers plowed the slush off the streets (even on Jamestown's side streets!) overnight and salted the mains. No schools were closed this morning despite the lake effect snow warning. Actually, the heaviest and most widespread snow is to the north and east of us, closer to Buffalo and Rochester. Not too much wind yet, either.

I can't remember ever having an office close due to weather. On really bad days it actually is best for me to get to work because I have less "other" stuff come through my door. I get more done, and it is usually nice and quiet.

On the weather note - last night was ugly around these parts. Roads were bad yesterday and last night, but this morning they were pretty good. Lots of spin outs and light crashes though reported. Snow + wind = black ice and poor visibility.

Chautauqua County usually closes its offices in the county seat, Mayville, at least once a winter, and sometimes more. There's a regular procedure for it. Of course, Mayville sits on the crest of what's called the "Chautauqua Ridge", which gets an average of about 200 inches of snow a winter because the lake effect snows dump their loads on the western side as the elevation increases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Canuckistanians, Mid-westerners, take this cold air back. It does not belong in Florida. We're in a hard freeze warning for the next two nights.
On a brighter note, it's forecast to be 70 degrees F on Friday.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Yes the weather has been "awful" here for a few weeks too! It has been in the 70s and raining!!!!!! The pain! The pain!

sequoianelf

Cyburbian
70F in December RJ? What the heck does it get to in summer?

When the electricity goes out here, which it does every winter at least once, we still go to work. I can work on building permits without electricity, but that is about it. It gives me a chance to re-read our general plan. yay. I miss working at the pub (Big Time Brewery) in Seattle - during storms we would go to work, and everyone else took a snow day and came to the pub. Much better than reading the general plan in the dark.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
This morning it was 5 degrees with a wind chill over under 0. I don't mind the cold... this is just getting stupid. I thought we were supposed to have a mild winter? It isn't even technically winter yet...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This morning it was 5 degrees with a wind chill over under 0. I don't mind the cold... this is just getting stupid. I thought we were supposed to have a mild winter? It isn't even technically winter yet...

I watched the temperature reading in my car drop this morning from 55º to 4º as I pulled out of my heated garage and started my trek to work this morning! OUCH! :-c

Honestly though, I love the cold and I love the snow. I saw bring it on!

A friend of mine teaches at a suburban school district and they were off yesterday because the roads were too bad in the morning and then they were notified last night around 9:00 p.m. that they were off again today because it was too cold to get the diesel buses running after having them sit all day Saturday, Sunday, and the unexpected Monday.

Yesterday, 300+ districts were closed and today the count is around 225 the last time I checked. About a block away from my house, there is a private co-ed elementary school, a boys high school and a girls high school. Yesterday the elementary and the boys high school were closed but the girls high school was open. That was a bit strange, especially considering that they are all part of the same parish. I wonder how many of the students showed up? Today they are all closed.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
SNOW DAY!!!! The community college I work for closed because of the weather. Most of the schools in Chautauqua County closed, too. Surprisingly, the county offices did NOT close, but that's probably because the problems are less about snow and more about lots of wind and very low temps.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
6F and wind chill of -8F :-c. There's a lake effect snow warning until 1am Thursday. We were supposed to get 2-5" overnight but only received a light dusting.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
15°F, and non-stop lake effect snow in Buffalo's Northtowns. The plows were busy last night, but judging from the condition of the roads, it was all for naught.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Who wants to trade for a week? I miss the snow so much! I want to be somewhere that has at minimum 3 feet of snow, is expecting to get more, and comes with a fireplace.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So today being 5 degrees makes it 5 days in a row that we have seen below two digit temperatures. If you add in wind chill that makes is 7 days. We are going to get some snow today and tomorrow, so hopefully that will get us up into the teens and twenties.

Cold weather without snow is so pointless...

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Tomorrow morning's commute is looking lovely, snow changing to sleet then cold rain....come on NCDOT don't let me down!

boiker

Cyburbian
Looks like we'll be LUCKY to see 75 (24C) today. Tomorrow some rain showers are forecast and high temperatures in the frigid middle-upper 60s. (18-20C for the non-USA)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Who wants to trade for a week? I miss the snow so much! I want to be somewhere that has at minimum 3 feet of snow, is expecting to get more, and comes with a fireplace.

Are you serious?! That's awfully tempting! (If only I could afford a plane ticket...)

Actually, we haven't seen much snow yet. Syracuse and Buffalo are getting it all. We just have the cold and wind. :(

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Are you serious?! That's awfully tempting! (If only I could afford a plane ticket...)

Actually, we haven't seen much snow yet. Syracuse and Buffalo are getting it all. We just have the cold and wind. :(

I would definitely house swap for a week.

Disclaimer: my house comes with two 100+lb dogs that need to go on 3 potty breaks per day and aren't allowed on the furniture despite what they might tell you, and 2 furry cats that like to eat toes and lick the condensation off your glass.

Though, I am only 1.5 miles from the nearest beach, 2 miles from Waikiki, 1 mile from some of the best hiking on the island, 2 miles from the hip and trendy Chinatown... to sum it up, I'm in the city and close to everything. You can walk, bike, bus, drive to anywhere in the city from my place in no time.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Ice storm last night, this a.m. Appears >.25" of ice buildup but no power outages locally. Many schools closed, although my kids are only on a 2-hr delay. Office is also opening two hours late.

I would have preferred snow: driving on ice is the suxxor.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I would definitely house swap for a week.

Disclaimer: my house comes with two 100+lb dogs that need to go on 3 potty breaks per day and aren't allowed on the furniture despite what they might tell you, and 2 furry cats that like to eat toes and lick the condensation off your glass.

Though, I am only 1.5 miles from the nearest beach, 2 miles from Waikiki, 1 mile from some of the best hiking on the island, 2 miles from the hip and trendy Chinatown... to sum it up, I'm in the city and close to everything. You can walk, bike, bus, drive to anywhere in the city from my place in no time.

I'll trade! We have two ~80lb dogs that require at least 3 walks a day plus two kitties, who, despite what they tell you, aren't starving.

We're less than 1 mile to our booming metropolis (pop. ~44k), 3 1/2 hrs from NYC, 5 hrs from Boston, 3 1/2 hrs from Buffalo, and 3 is hours to Philly. Nearest ski slope is 45 minutes away. Catskills Mtns & Adirondack Mtns are easy drives. Plenty of natural spaces around for hiking, x-country skiing, & snowshoeing.

Sadly, no fireplace...but my folks have one and I'm sure they'd let you stop by and enjoy some cocoa. :):c:

But like MP, we haven't seen much of the snow...yet.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Ice storm last night, this a.m. Appears >.25" of ice buildup but no power outages locally. Many schools closed, although my kids are only on a 2-hr delay. Office is also opening two hours late.

Seriously...we had 1,000+ accidents (reportedly) on metro Atlanta roads overnight.

beach_bum

Cyburbian

Seriously...we had 1,000+ accidents (reportedly) on metro Atlanta roads overnight.

The snow turned to ice here too...hopefully it will warm up enough here so that it melts before we get too much! School are all closed and so is work :D

Planit

Cyburbian
The roads were covered this morning and temps hanging around 32F. The anti-icing slush that was put on the roads worked pretty good. There was a couple icy patches on the roads this morning. Schools were first on a 3 hour dealy and now are closed all day. I got to work only to find out we are on a two hour delay (at least 3 of us are here).

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just as Gedunker reported - icy conditions.
Schools closed for the second time this week.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Main roads are passable, but the side roads are a mess. Sidewalks are impassable. I imagine attendance at our little school today will be off by ~90% -- there were hardly any cars in the lot when I dropped the kids off.:h:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
70F in December RJ? What the heck does it get to in summer?

I live north and west of RJ. Our summers are 90+ and high humidity for 6 months out of the year. The typical morning 6-7 am will be in the 70s and 90% humidity. The non summer months are also pretty damp and humid. The cold is chillier than up north.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I live north and west of RJ. Our summers are 90+ and high humidity for 6 months out of the year. The typical morning 6-7 am will be in the 70s and 90% humidity. The non summer months are also pretty damp and humid. The cold is chillier than up north.

Cold and clammy weather is very uncomfortable. Trust me.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here in NW Ohio we had about 3 inches of the white stuff, Sunday and Monday, followed by very cold conditions. The high for a couple days was about 15F. It did not go below ZERO, though. :)

So far in December we have experienced about 8 total hours of temperatures above freezing. The forecast for the next week remains below freezing. Good thing that Kurt Vonegut is not around these parts. :-c;)

The big snow and ice storm that roared through the mid-south totally slid south of Metro Toledo. Bananna belt, indeed.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
A nice light snow has been falling throughout the late afternoon and evening hours across Northern Illinois. Only a light dusting of just under an inch is expected.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
We got maybe 2/3 inches around Jamestown today, but I guess further north along the Erie/Cattaraugus County line, they're getting some serious lake effect -- an inch an hour. The snow bands are supposed to move north into Buffalo's southern suburbs tonight.

I hired a guy to shovel off my porch roof where about 2 feet of snow had collected thanks to the wind piling it up there. Now, I have to get the snowblower up on the porch so I can clear the nearly 3 feet on the outer third of the porch from the snow that blew in under the roof and that landed there from the shovelling.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Don't Eat The Dirty Snow

To those Cyburbians who never venture into climates that have snow.....

Yes, we dream of a "white Christmas". But often we get a snowfall a few days before Santa Day with clear (or cloudy) days up to and including Christmas Day. By that time, the snow is not so Christmas card pretty. It is often covered with shoveled snow that also includes dirt and stones from sidewalks and driveways. The snow piles next to the plowed roads are even more dirty-looking.

A real......Currier & Ives.....white Christmas requires a snow that starts on Christmas Eve. Unless you live in the boonies.

Just sayin'.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Some light snow will move in this afternoon and tonight. About 2-4 inches is expected. Freezing drizzle may follow. Not a fan of the freezing drizzle/rain.

Another snowstorm may impact the area around Christmas Eve.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Got about 5 inches of snow here, more than they predicted. It was beautiful watching the big fluffy flakes come down last night. One of those picture-perfect snowfalls. A very faint glaze of ice covered the fluffy snowfall, which makes a crunchy sound as you step into it.

kms

Cyburbian
Got about 5 inches of snow here, more than they predicted. It was beautiful watching the big fluffy flakes come down last night. One of those picture-perfect snowfalls. A very faint glaze of ice covered the fluffy snowfall, which makes a crunchy sound as you step into it.

I enjoy watching that kind of snowfall. It's so peaceful.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Temperature in NW Ohio continues to stay below freezing. Except for a few hours earlier in the month, the temp has been below 32F all month. This week will remain below freezing......until Thursday or Friday. Warmer temperatures will move in, melting the dirty snow. Friday's high will be near 50F.

Still not a lot of snow in these parts. Every storm seems to wander across Minnesota, southern Wisconsin, central Illinois, southern Indiana, and into the mid-south.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Got a couple inches of fresh snow last night, just in time for Christmas! We could also get some Lake Effect snow through tomorrow.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
The Triangle had its first white Christmas since 1947. About seven inches on the ground when I arrived home from sunny Florida. Alot of snow for these parts this month...I'm hoping the rest of the winter won't be so bad. Its certainly winter wonderland with all the fluffy white stuff everywhere :)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
the view out my office window - lots of snow up here - office is closed

Attachments

• snow out my office window.jpg
    snow out my office window.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 11

mgk920

Cyburbian
That must be one WOW! snowstorm in the northeast - it looks like the New York Giants (or, should we now call them the 'Midgets', after their performance at Green Bay on Sunday?) will be spending another wonderful night all safe and snug at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel here in downtown Appleton, WI.

:h:

Mike

Linda_D

Cyburbian

That's been the way my neighborhood has looked since the beginning of December. We had one warm, rainy weekend where most of it melted (and caused flooding in some areas, of course), and then it was back with a vengeance. We've been getting 4-6 inches of snow overnight until the weekend before Christmas. It's dropped to only about 1-3 overnight since.

That must be one WOW! snowstorm in the northeast - it looks like the New York Giants (or, should we now call them the 'Midgets', after their performance at Green Bay on Sunday?) will be spending another wonderful night all safe and snug at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel here in downtown Appleton, WI.

:h:

Mike

It was a nasty storm for travelers because all the airports, buses, and trains stopped running. However, various parts of the Boston-Washington Metroplex get pounded by these big "nor'easters" fairly regularly just like Florida and nearby areas get pounded by hurricanes. The difference is that there are more drama queens in the Metroplex and more media, so the really big storms get dubbed "the blizzard of the century" based on how much they inconvenience locals who never prepare for winter weather.