• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Is the term "Attorney-at-Law" redundant?

Speaking about redundant redundancies..... Around here the TV weather guys/gals just can't get enough about using the term "Bad weather fronts" And for those that don't remember basic Physical Geography, a front always brings bad weather.... :p

About the snow in Melbourne.... It's latitude is close to 40ºS and speaking from experience from across the ocean... While it's rare to see snow nearby the ocean at that latitude it does occur naturally, but in a long periodicity... (1 time in 100 years lets say). Last time I saw snow around Valdivia was in 1995.... maybe my grandkids will see it again... who knows.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Weather Random Temps here in the 80's today, how wonderful.

Back yard random Got my garage painted last week. Just a couple of touch ups to do, but made a huge difference. The neighbors put up a new fence so now we can tear ours down. How cool, it makes a nice back drop to the new pond. Just have to get some green back there.

Work random Not going to be a fun week here. I am going to have to break my contract at work. I can be fairly open minded and understanding about a few bad reports of poor business practices but there are an over whelming number coming in and numerous questions about my intelligence in working for the agency that I am with. The topper came two weeks ago when my husband was walking the parade route behind the crowd as our float passed by. The comments for four blocks were all negative. I don't want to be in the middle of that and have my name associated with such negativeness. So I have found a new agency and it is very close to home so I can actually walk! The broker has a good business head and does alot of training. There is an emphasis in on line sales which I think is great!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Morton Salt Randoms

Very Little Katrina Effect Random.....Very little weather effect here in NW Ohio, from Katrina. Overcast, light showers. My heart goes out to all the people of the Gulf Coast who have been affected by this horrible storm.

Copyright Infringement Random, AKA Written Imbearment.....Anybody who uses the obviously random musings method does, indeed, owe this Bear a beer. :b: :b:

My Toyota truck has a lot of miles on it, but I can still make it to northern Colorado, down to the Ohio River, up to Detroit, out to Kansas......not quite in that order, though. You know, to "collect". :p :-D :)

Detroit Police Random.....Yesterday I listened to the news conference with the Detroit Police spokesperson......Commish? She did an excellent job of presenting the thought process behind their announced consolidation of a number of city police stations. She presented numbers that showed the number of stations versus city population......years ago and now. She talked about the productivity rationale in re-designing job duties to get policemen and policewomen out on the street.....and away from a desk.

I thought she did a splendid job. Would very much like to hear the (possible different) thoughts from detroitplanner and urbanchik. Because coragus is in the metro, an opinion may come from that direction, also. What say you?

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have a co-worker who delights in telling us we're in the "suck zone" from Hurricane Ophelia; the reason we're having such dry weather, the hurricane is sucking all the moisture to the north.

Frankly, it gives the rest of us dirty thoughts....;-) :-D

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Zoning Goddess said:
I have a co-worker who delights in telling us we're in the "suck zone" from Hurricane Ophelia; the reason we're having such dry weather, the hurricane is sucking all the moisture to the north.

Frankly, it gives the rest of us dirty thoughts....;-) :-D
Sometimes I can't believe the things that you post.... :-D :) ;) :a:

I...must...not...respond.......resist RJ, just resist.. ;) :-$

The One

Cyburbian
Not sure....

I'm not sure what I'll do this weekend....maybe the beach if its safe now (storms and bad weather...) Camping may not be such a good idea in 90 degree weather....

TN: I can't remember the last time I truly felt rested.......I'm lucky to get 6-7 hours of sleep......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....snort......see.....There is NO such thing as a vacation for those of us with kids....(even if you go without them, you end up thinking about them the whole time.....:-D )

;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
[
Winter Weather Prediction Random.....So what's the prediction for winter in the various parts of the USA and Canada? If temperatures and moisture are going to "average out" in the US middle-west, I would bet on below-average temps and above-average snowfall.
We may have a couple days below 40 d. That would be in the morning, then it's much warmer during the day. :-D :-D

Richmond Jake

Bear Up North said:
...Winter Weather Prediction Random.....So what's the prediction for winter in the various parts of the USA and Canada? If temperatures and moisture are going to "average out" in the US middle-west, I would bet on below-average temps and above-average snowfall....
Last year we experienced about 7-10 days of freezing temps in the morning. Then it warmed up during the day to the point it was comfortable to walk the beach in shorts. I'm hoping for more of the same this winter. :h:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Bear Up North said:
Winter Weather Prediction Random.....So what's the prediction for winter in the various parts of the USA and Canada? If temperatures and moisture are going to "average out" in the US middle-west, I would bet on below-average temps and above-average snowfall.

This Bear likes snow a whole lot more than 35-degree rain.

Bear

Well, let's see... It's September 29th and yesterday the high at Casa de Burb Fixer was 104. :-c That does not bode well for us this winter. We've had about six days in a row of 100+ degree days. We're supposed to get our first "less hot" front today that should drop our highs down to about 87 degrees... yippee... :cool:

Queen B

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
It's 7:58 PM and I just woke up from last nights bender. I've got Budgie's 3rd album (Never Turn Your Back On A Friend) on and I'm drinking lots of water. Must recover.

Oh man, you missed an beautiful day! We were out in it all day. The weather was perfect.

sistercelest said:
I had fun today. found a 50's pink formica modern end table for $30. My neo-hippie daughter collects 50s retro furniture. Just found her a Christmas present.
Great find. We have an antique shop here that has a room full of stuff from that era. What me to take a picture and see if there is anything you need???

As far as my antique find of the week. I collect Fireking Charm dishes. They are blue and square. About the only place I can find them is ebay. This week I got a serving bowl and cream and sugar set. The creamer still has the paper seal in the bottom. I orginally got the first few pieces from my grandma. They were her everyday plates. Now days the are worth alot! She would find that very funny I am certain.

Cell Phone report, working fine!!!!!!!!!!!!! Killed the battery but had a spare so I am back up again.

Planit

Cyburbian
A rainy Monday morning and work starts for another 5 days. Tough getting out of bed in these conditions. Just happy the weekend was rain free. That reminds me, I need to check the Weather Channel for next weekend's weather forecast!

zman

Cyburbian
Weather RandomIt's a cold, grey and wet day here in Colorado. Kind of makes me want to crawl back into bed... (preferably not alone...;-) ;-) :-$ )

"In-Law" Visit Random The GF's Dad is at a conference in Denver this week. He came up last night to see the house and have dinner. The visit went well. The GF and I are going up to north Idaho (any houses I need to spit on, RJ?) later this week. At dinner she and her dad briefed and prepped me for the other family that will also be in town. Look for some interfamily competition, possible squabbling and maybe some drama. GF's dad invited me out to the back deck anytime to drink beer and get away... Hey you can do anything for a weekend, right?

Candy Random I think that BKM and I may have a couple things in common. We both are critical of the Bush Administration, both drive Subarus, and we both have a sweet tooth. The secretaries just put out a bowl of Tootsie Rolls... there goes my day. :-@ Good thing I am heading to the gym tonight.

Car Rental I have started a thread for adviase on renting a car. This is a car rental random thought. I think I am getting the typical rental car, a midsize American sedan (I think it is a Dodge). While I feel American cars lack certain things, I am kind of looking forward to driving one as I have grown up with European cars and currently drive a Japanese car, American cars seem...oh I don't know... almost exotic?

Sleep Random I the sleep survey thread, I said that get upwards of 60 hours of sleep a week. This week; however, I have been staying up later and found that I am just as awake during the next day as I am if I go to sleep at 9:30.

Post count, slacker random A couple of folks have alluded to my record setting post count total. (I think in Jax's 2k Clubbe thread. BTW Congrats! :-D ) I decided to try the BUN format and post many random thoughts in one post. I sometimes feel embarassed about posting so much and have slowed down a but. A lot of times I have thought, "Does Cyburbia really need to hear this?" and haven't posted anything. I am getting my work done, but feel, a lot of the time, that some things I say really don't change the course of a thread or add anything meaningful. But hey sometimes it happens like that, eh?

Plan review random Does anyone else color their plans while reviewing? Sometimes I use highlighters when reviewing landscaping, utility placement, sight distance easements, and sidewalk placements all on the same plan.

BKM

Cyburbian
Boy, it's dry here this fall. Only one storm of any significance, so we're at about 30% of "normal." Still, early in the rainy season.

But, we are getting those howling "off-shore" winds that just dry everything out even more. Major "fire weather" for Northern California. I couldn't go cycling in Napa today, because the road (Highway 12) leading to Napa was shut due to a wildfire :-c (I am taking a 2-day minivacation just to goof off :) )

Pretty weather, but I want the rain to really arrive! I llove Northern California winters (the rainy ones, not the bone dry gloomy Valley Fog for thirty days kind)

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
It's cold front time in central Texas! I'm counting down to what will in all liklihood be the last day of 80 degree weather for at least a few months... Tomorrow night we should get our first solid freeze of the season!:)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Suburb Repairman said:
It's cold front time in central Texas! I'm counting down to what will in all liklihood be the last day of 80 degree weather for at least a few months... Tomorrow night we should get our first solid freeze of the season!:)

We had 2.5" rain last night and a wicked-bad lightning show, are now under a flash flood warning and are expecting strong storms this afternoon (winds up to 80mph and the possible isolated twister). So glad I have a PC meeting tonight ...

zman

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Just came back into my office after being advised by EMA to move into the interior hallway because of rotation and wall clouds in our county.

WOW!
This weather is making me crazy. You guys are having some intense storming, we had hurricane winds all night and now it is clear and 22 degrees. Not a cloud in the sky, but a rare, humid biting cold.

Chilly to the bone.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
WOW!
This weather is making me crazy. You guys are having some intense storming, we had hurricane winds all night and now it is clear and 22 degrees. Not a cloud in the sky, but a rare, humid biting cold.

Chilly to the bone.

Ours has been a little nutty. This weekend it has gone from crazy winds and warm, to crazy winds and cold, to clear and sunny in the 60's to cold and rainy today. Tomorrow... Snow.

If this keeps up, I am going to build an Ark, with skis and a chair lift attachment.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Weather random:
Ooo...it's snowing out across Northern Illinois. We'll probably get an inch...the most this season so far. I love watching the snow come down in the morning.

School random:
I'm so sick of writing papers. Only 1 more week of hell...er, 1st semester. I can't wait for winter break...I love the holidays.

The One

Cyburbian
Yeah....

zmanPLAN said:
Zuh? You're complainin 'bout that?

Temps here didn't get much higher than -5f last night.
Just got to 10 here now. Heat Wave!:h:

Come on everyone....lets pile on RJ for being w weather wimp....har har har...;)
I fully expect to see RJ swimming in the pool at 50F, unheated of course......:r: :D
and Zman should be wearing shorts right now:D It never fails, every winter I'm in Breckenridge, some guy from Vermont or Colorado is wearing shorts in 10F degree weather:-c :-o :)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Well, it just got to inner-Chicagoland about an hur ago, so, you should probably expect it sometime in the middle of the night....methinks.:)
YUPER yoberight

National weather services says..
Heavy Snow Warning remains in effect until 6 am EST Friday...

A Heavy Snow Warning remains in effect until 6 am EST Friday.

Snow will spread into the Interstate 94 corridor between 400 PM
and 600 PM... moving north through the evening. The snow will be
heavy at times through the evening... gradually ending late at
night. 5 to 8 inches of snow is expected by daybreak on Friday.
Travel conditions will deteriorate rapidly through the course of
the evening as the snow becomes heavy.

A Heavy Snow Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast
that will make travel dangerous. If need to travel allow extra
travel time. Keep an extra flashlight... food... and water in your
vehicle in case of an emergency.

However I'm only planning on getting maybe 4 inches. They are always wrong.

Richmond Jake

The One said:
Wuuuuss.....;)
zmanPlan said:
Zuh? You're complainin 'bout that?
The One Half said:
Come on everyone....lets pile on RJ for being w weather wimp....
PlannerByDay said:
RJ you would have loved it.
Don't force me to track your mange covered bue-tocks down and beyotch slap y'all. ;)

Oh, and it's still cold here. I think it's another hot tub night. :b:

zman

Cyburbian
Suburb Repairman said:
So, ummmm, Zman.... How's the weather in you deck of the woods????

Burb Fixer desperately trying to change this subject... +o( :victory: :p

Sunny, clear and about 34 degrees. What about you?

How about that Local Sports Team...?

What are you up to? I am enjoying an afternoon cup of tea and looking at duplex designs.

BKM

Cyburbian
Tule Fog is here

Well, the only benefit to a winter drought (50% of normal rainfall) has disappeared as of this morning. The weak but pleasant sunshine and temperatures pushing the high 50s/60s are GONE

We now have my favorite Inland California weather phenomenon: Valley (Tule) Fog. One dry year Solano County didn't see the sun for the entire month of December, You cannot imagine how dismal it is outside now. I'm sure Nerudite remembers the Tule Fog. :-c I think I'll ride my bike this weekend-not.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Maister said:
For what its worth, I would rather be at home and hungover today than at work and feeling well.:(

Is it the weather or the post christmas/pre new years day funk. I an in a pissy mood this AM and really don't want to be here either.

[sigh] and it is only 10:20 am

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
:-c weather - 69 degrees & hail - spring storm conditions not winter.

College Bowl game - University of Louisville Cardinals.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Not Global Warming Proof But Odd Nonetheless Random:
Temperatures here in southern Indiana were a record 72 degrees Monday. We had F2 and F1 tornados in the area -- thankfully only property damage and no injuries. The F2 touched down about 3 miles sw of my house (and across the Ohio River). It lifted but maintained strong winds as it blew through our downtown. I lost a single shingle from my roof and my phone and cable were disrupted; my neighbor's gaslamp cover (heavy metal sucker) was carried 20 yards away; and, a major redevelopment site in downtown had all its metal construction fencing blown down.

My wife and I were taking down the Christmas tree at the time and my daughter asked if it was nighttime. Mrs. G and I looked and noticed, by golly, it was peculiarly dark for 3:00pm and when I strode into the kitchen I could see the famous dark green sky. We grabbed the kids and our emergency kit and headed down the basement. The minute we got settled, a wicked hail storm started. What ticks me off is that there was no warning from either NWS or local tv weather stations (although there was a T-storm watch in place).

Media Frenzy Random
We have a murder trial getting underway this week. TV and print media are camped out all over the place. Meanwhile, a co-defendant is on trial starting Monday over near JNA's neck-o-the-woods. Our prosecutor is having to conduct two capital trials simultaneously in two jurisdictions. It's also costing the taxpayers a bundle. Just about everyone's grumbling about the price.

What, exactly, does justice cost anyway?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Winter Storm Warning Randoms

Winter Storms Randoms.....I have been watching the weather radar. Looks like a giant blob of heavy snow, moving from Fort Wayne, IN. on a northeast path, heading for beautiful downtown Swanton, OH. They are announcing a Winter Storm Warning, with about eight (8) inches predicted. First snow we have had in a long time. December was very snowy and then the white stuff stopped, and the temperatures have been in the 40F to 55F range.

Not anymore. Snow, just in time for the Super Bowl.

I have to get my butt in gear and drive over to the office this morning. Oh wait.....I have 4WD......I can go whenever I want. ;) :-D

Murray Random.....Our eleven-year-old mixed dawg is not doing well. She is struggling.....and Katie and I are struggling, because we know the ultimate outcome. We keep putting off the decision. Sad for Murray.

On the Saturday before 9-11-01, I took my old Golden Retriever, Brandee, to the vet for the "ultimate and last" visit. We sat down on the floor and Brandee, a lover to the end, put her head on my lap. The vet injected the drug and she was gone in about ten (10) seconds. I started to cry and couldn't stop. They said that it happens often and they let the crying dog owners out the back door, so you don't have to walk through the waiting room.

A couple days later, 9-11 happened. It was a tough week. And memories of that week influence my slow response to the condition that Murray is now in.

Super Bowl A Day Away Random.....I already told you that I am very nervous about the game. I'll tell you again.....I am very nervous about the game. Win or lose, it has been a wonderful season for the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have a team that is "packed" with a nice combination of veterans and young players. There will be more Steeler fun next year, too!

BTW.....in another thread I presented a likely script that networks would use for describing Detroit, as the media hordes descended. I was right.....I watched a couple networks repeat my script word-for-word. (Easy to do, though. TV reporting is quite predictable. The only thing I missed was the continuing coverage of Jerome Bettis' childhood house.)

Bear

zman

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Finally winter weather is here - it's snowing. :)

Had the windows open in the truck as I drove to get some files from the city archives. Nice and toasty (for February) outside.

(mixed feelings about this...):-|

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today's Weather, rain and high of 50.:-{
Tomorrow, slight chance of snow, low of 8 :-c

How bad does that suck? :-@

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
AIB M'ski weather -
60 now; w/thunderstorms possible this evening - (NWS) "means a brief TORNADO OR TWO cannot be ruled out."
and a 30 degree temp drop forecasted.

So what is going to happen to RJ ? :-D ;) :p :-$

Richmond Jake

The weather is great here today: currently 73 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. I think I'll go home early, stopping to get a 6-pack of :b: on the way. :-D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Friday Night Club - RJ & Donk - welcome to my life. :-( :-x

Weather Bear - Along the Ohio River it is winter - 10 degrees and snowing.

Richmond Jake

JNA said:
Weather Bear - Along the Ohio River it is winter - 10 degrees and snowing.
Near the Gulf of Mexico it's 70 degrees and sunny. Perfect golfing weather. :-D

T minus 989

Richmond Jake

Weather report

UPS delivered two bottles of wine from the Dry Creek Vineyards wine club. A 2002 Meritage and a 2003 Zinfandel (Somers Ranch). What can Brown do for you?

A nice Friday on the panhandle. Clear skies, light breeze, 72 degrees. I wanna go home.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Does this sound scary or what -

From the NWS -
... greatest risk of severe weather...including
The possibility of long track tornadoes ...

Richmond Jake

Zoning Goddess said:
It is very annoying when someone brings a whiny toddler into the office for the day. :-@
If that happened here, I would simply close the door to my office. ;-)

The weather here near the Gulf is changing. It's currently 75 degrees with 76% humidity. The sticky stuff begins.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Vacation Day Random Package & Usual Weather Report

NW Ohio Weather Random.....Here in the northwest corner of Ohio we had all of the tornado watches and high wind warnings, etc. We did get some rain, not much in the way of storms, some strong wind.

What a difference in temperature. On Sunday we were near 70-degrees, on Monday we made it to 70-degrees. (Phoenix, eat your heart out! ;) )

After the intense front moved through we are back in the 20's, with snow showers. Hey Rumpy, do you miss this weather?

Killer Kids Random.....The other day a couple 17-year old kids (boy and girl) were arrested for attempting to kill the girl's family.....because they were not allowed to be together.

Just another fun day in Toledo. :-c

Vacation Day Random.....This Bear is taking a vacation day today. I have a huge project that starts Wednesday morning and time away from the office will be hard to come by, for at least a month. I plan to just hang around, play on the net for awhile, maybe work on my fake city (De Noc) and watch some olde movies. That's how I relax.....the fun starts tomorrow. :-c

Student Ghetto Random.....What's the definition of a "student ghetto"? Is it defined by the old couch (davenport / sofa) on the front porch, next to the keg? Perhaps defined by the seven (7) old cars on the lawn, with all of the beer cans (and 1 large bra) on the hood? If I look it up in a modern dictionary will I see a picture of Delta House?

Congrats Dandy Random.....Nice job on scoring the goals. This Bear hasn't played soccer since high school. Our intermural team was the champion. We were called "The Shieks", because we took OUR shirts off and wrapped them around our heads. Politically correct had not yet been invented. It was 1966. :-c

Bear Flurries

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
...After the intense front moved through we are back in the 20's, with snow showers. Hey Rumpy, do you miss this weather?
Bear Flurries
I will in a couple of months. Its creeping. Slowly.

RJ said:
Using colorful languge and his own two hands, Rumpy promptly uninstalled it this afternoon. Good boy, Rumpy. I'll include that act in your evaluation next year under "takes initiative."
Don't get me frucken started:-@. And by the way, I'm not a :w:

One of the cats was puking like that guy in the movie Alien. It was dead on arrival when it came out though.

Sabres play the Caps on OLN tonight. Finally, I was getting sick of just being able to watch them when they played Crappa Bay.:-@

I'll go post a serious comment now;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Our Red Cross Chapter volunteers were profiled on the Weather Channel - Storm Stories
about our Nov 6 Tornado. :-(

biscuit

Cyburbian
Dammit! I am sick to death of this crappy weather. Here it is almost April and it is snowing! I swear that if it's not 65 and sunny tomorrow I'm going to drive up to Punxsutawney and drop-kick that over sized rat looking groundhog for predicting six more weeks of Winter. :-@ :s:

Richmond Jake

biscuit said:
Dammit! I am sick to death of this crappy weather. Here it is almost April and it is snowing! I swear that if it's not 65 and sunny tomorrow I'm going to drive up to Punxsutawney and drop-kick that over sized rat looking groundhog for predicting six more weeks of Winter. :-@ :s:
otterpop said:
I think I detected a flush of green in my lawn at noon (as the snow is mostly melted. Could winter be giving up in the Queen City?
Tomorrow in central Florida at the spring training game: 68 degrees, light winds. And that's cold for here this time of year. Snow never made it to the ground this year. ;-) :-$ :a:

zman

Cyburbian
Since this said NEVERENDING...

How is your weather? I was going to start a new thread, but I thought I would stay under the Mod's radar on this one...^o) ;)

We have about 60-65 degrees, clear, warm and sunny here. Just about to be down right hot! Nice weather, went out on site inspections and don't really feel like working.

This is perfect beer drinking weather, almost girl watching weather...

Next monday we're looking at 70 degrees for the Rockies/Diamondbacks opener in Denver. :h: Nice, no work, baseball, cold beer, and a hot dog pile with everything. I can taste it now...

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator note:

Really....no need to dig up this dinasaur.

Closed.

zman

Cyburbian
According to the thermometer on the City's homepage, it is now
83 degrees outside.

Looks like the heat is brewing some good storms over the "hills"

Why couldn't it have been this warm on Moday for the Rocks' game, it was a little chilly in the shade at Coors field and not exact good ballgame weather.

The One

Cyburbian
yeah but....

zmanPLAN said:
According to the thermometer on the City's homepage, it is now
83 degrees outside.

Looks like the heat is brewing some good storms over the "hills"

Why couldn't it have been this warm on Moday for the Rocks' game, it was a little chilly in the shade at Coors field and not exact good ballgame weather.

Don't the Rockies play MUCH better ball in cool weather (April and May) and normally stink during July and August? I'll bet the stats back this up over the past decade plus... Its a cool 73 degrees here in Hell's Kitchen Arizona;-) :-D ;-) :p

Richmond Jake

Ugh. Four days in a row I’ve woken up no later than 4:30 in the morning. What’s wrong with my brain?
And the weather is forecast to be crappy here today. But nothing that Tennessee experienced. I need to get out there and buy smokes and wine before it starts.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Zoning Goddess said:
Geez, I really need to get moving and clean out my closet!
Same here and do my taxes.

Weather Random - what a major shift
Yesterday - Tornado Watch and Warning
Tonight - Frost Advisory

Last edited: