• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
A beautiful Christmas smow. 8" of the white stuff - enough for good sledding at the in-laws (they have a nice big hill) and still being able to drive around.

Like beach-bum said, first real Christmas snow since 1947 in these parts.

The One

Cyburbian
HA!

Stop your complaining about the weather down here in the lower 48......after you read this, you'll know where it is always worse this time of year:

CENTRAL BEAUFORT SEA COAST-
INCLUDING...NUIQSUT...PRUDHOE BAY...ALPINE...DEADHORSE...KUPARUK
335 AM AKST TUE DEC 28 2010

...WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM AKST WEDNESDAY...
.TODAY...MAINLY CLEAR WITH PATCHY ICE FOG. TEMPERATURES 40 TO
50 BELOW. SOUTHWEST WINDS TO 15 MPH AND WIND CHILL TO 80 BELOW.
.TONIGHT...MAINLY CLEAR WITH PATCHY ICE FOG. TEMPERATURES 40 TO
50 BELOW. SOUTHWEST WINDS TO 15 MPH AND WIND CHILL TO 80 BELOW.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS AROUND 30 BELOW. WEST WINDS
10 TO 15 MPH. WIND CHILL TO 65 BELOW IN THE MORNING.

By the way......66 degrees, sunny and no wind here

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
A Warm New Year's Eve

Here in NW Ohio we have been below freezing (for a high temperature!) for 29 days. As the year 2010 slips away the mercury started climbing. Today the expected high is 52F, about 20F above normal.

To celebrate the sweatshirt weather this Bear will spend some time outside. Plans include re-covering the boat (cover was torn during a November windstorm), doing some garage organizing, and enjoying loud rock and roll as I merrily go about my exterior chores.

Maybe a little Guns'N'Roses and Terrible Ted. :)

New Year's Day will see temperatures begin to drop back to normal levels. The big storm in the northern plains will miss my area OR if it slices the area it will do so before the temperature has dropped to ice and snow levels.

Toledo snow total this season: 4". Way below normal.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
:-c :-o Thunder and Lighting on New Year's Eve. :-c :-o
part of the front that generated the tornadoes earlier today..

60+ degrees today.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The temperature rose to the 50s on NYE and we got some rain and the half foot of snow on the ground subsequently melted. A lot of people in the neighorhood used this as an opportunity to take down Christmas lights, including yours truly. This warm weather didn't last though, as it dropped back down to the teens on New Years Day. It's about 30 now though, with no wind, which is actually kind of pleasant. It's nice to start the year off with no snow on the ground...it sort of feels like a fresh start.

boiker

Cyburbian
We had exceptionally insignificant snow showers in the area on December 30 in Phoenix. Crazy to see cacti, palm trees and snow falling from the sky.

It's been unseasonably cold here. Highs in the upper 40s/low 50s and lows in the 20s.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Eight inches of snow (plus some ice) overnight here in northwest metro Atlanta.

I need to move south. 8-!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Freezing temps, rain/sleet turning to snow yesterday. Not a lot of accumulation where I am, but other areas of the metro had enough to build mini snowpeople.

This morning there was ice on the roads from the 2 hours of drizzle overnight. Lots of wrecks as people just don't know how to drive in this weather. They think since they don't see any problems, it's OK to go 60+ mph across the bridge. Idiots. It's called ice, and it doesn't look dangerous until you're on top of it.

Took me over an hour to get to work. Usually it take just under 30 minutes. Yuck.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Snow and ice in Central NC-office closing at noon today and probably will be reporting from the apartment-stead tomorrow with freezing rain predicted tonight & Tuesday.

Stay safe my fellow southern-tier Cyburbians!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The next four mornings we're forecast to experience sub-freezing low temperatures. Combine that with daytime highs in the forties and high humidity, the environment can be described as feeling raw. This is the worst time of the year in terms of weather on the panhandle.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Got about 3 or 4 inches of snow today here in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago, but I know it pales in comparison to what the folks in the northeast corridor will be receiving.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The next four mornings we're forecast to experience sub-freezing low temperatures. Combine that with daytime highs in the forties and high humidity, the environment can be described as feeling raw. This is the worst time of the year in terms of weather on the panhandle.

"Feels like 20 d." tonite. Yeah, we had that last month, too. You sure picked the coldest part of FL to move to. We'll probably have it next month, too.

Isn't Sarasota looking good right now?:D

Planit

Cyburbian
Snow & ice. Ice & snow.
About 4 inches of the good stuff, then covered with a nice glaze of ice. Fortunatley however the ice wasn't too bad. Now its crunchy with a few slick spots.

First day back at work today. I was starting to get hut-happy.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Snow & ice. Ice & snow.
About 4 inches of the good stuff, then covered with a nice glaze of ice. Fortunatley however the ice wasn't too bad. Now its crunchy with a few slick spots.

First day back at work today. I was starting to get hut-happy.

A trace of snow and then an eight of an inch of ice. I was a very unhappy camper this morning spending 45 minutes freeing my car from its ice tomb, while skating across the sidewalk. We are back at work today too.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A walk down the block 15 minutes or so ago.

F2RsX.jpg

V1Q7Y.jpg

G5eTv.jpg

mWzT5.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
A trace of snow and then an eight of an inch of ice. I was a very unhappy camper this morning spending 45 minutes freeing my car from its ice tomb, while skating across the sidewalk. We are back at work today too.

My nephew is at NCSU. He's from south Florida. He's not enjoying it right now either.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We got a wintry mess here across Northern Illinois yesterday. It snowed much of yesterday morning and early afternoon and we picked up about 3 inches or so, and then it changed over to sleet and freezing rain in the middle of the afternoon, and then switched back over to snow later in the evening, where we got another 2 inches or so.

Today it's just really cloudy, but the temperature is supposed to fall throughout the week, with highs in the teens tomorrow and Thursday, and a low temperature below zero on Friday morning.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I just noticed a bright light in the eastern sky. Does anyone know what it is?:-c

btrage

Cyburbian
I always go to a particular local TV news' website to check the weather because they always predict the apocolyps for winter weather. That way I'm pleasantly surprised when it's nowhere near as bad as they predict.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Winter has ceased to exist. We hit the mid 80's this weekend. Mid freakin 80's. Normal highs are in the mid 60's. No rain in sight for the rest of the month. Oh well, makes good hiking weather.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I just noticed a bright light in the eastern sky. Does anyone know what it is?:-c

I too have seen this bright light in the sky and in the morning it was indeed in the east. It appears to slowly move across the sky much like a giant flaming chariot. I have heard the elders refer to it as 'the sun'.

Our days ARE getting longer but not so much so that I've actually taken note of it yet. Usually that realization hits me around late Feb.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I too have seen this bright light in the sky and in the morning it was indeed in the east. It appears to slowly move across the sky much like a giant flaming chariot. I have heard the elders refer to it as 'the sun'.

Our days ARE getting longer but not so much so that I've actually taken note of it yet. Usually that realization hits me around late Feb.

The sun? I had heard of such a phenomena but no one here had seen it. Has the grey mistress of the dampness and chill forsaken us? Could this be a portent of Labolg Gnimraw?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
You worship the Olde Gods, we here await the coming of Etamilc Egnahc

[ot]We do not recognize the blasphemy of Etamilc Egnahc. Our shamen, the Aet Ytrap, reject the way of Tarcomed and follow the true way of Nacilbuper. Do you not fear the wrath of Haras Nilap?[/ot]

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
[ot]We do not recognize the blasphemy of Etamilc Egnahc. Our shamen, the Aet Ytrap, reject the way of Tarcomed and follow the true way of Nacilbuper. Do you not fear the wrath of Haras Nilap?[/ot]

[ot]I have heard enough of your heretical rantings! You have been deceived, The Tarcomed are mighty, and shall prevail in the days of Ragnorak under their warlord Amabo! I do not fear false gods such as Haras Nilap! The Nacilbuper are weak and shall be defeated, Msilaicos shall reign supreme in the end![/ot]

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
[ot]I have heard enough of your heretical rantings! You have been deceived, The Tarcomed are mighty, and shall prevail in the days of Ragnorak under their warlord Amabo! I do not fear false gods such as Haras Nilap! The Nacilbuper are weak and shall be defeated, Msilaicos shall reign supreme in the end![/ot]

In an effort to bring this thread back to relevance, I quote the immortal Bard. "Weather - Tis noble to suffer."

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The current temperature in the outlying suburbs of Chicago is -6F with a wind chill of -19F. The wind chill got down to a low of -22F earlier this morning. The forecast high for today is only 6F.

I believe this is the coldest weather we've seen so far this season.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
The current temperature in the outlying suburbs of Chicago is -6F with a wind chill of -19F. The wind chill got down to a low of -22F earlier this morning. The forecast high for today is only 6F.

I believe this is the coldest weather we've seen so far this season.

Yep. A Balmy -1 or so in the city.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Toledo Weather

Toledo and NW Ohio is "enjoying" cold weather. Not! Early Friday morning we went a degree below zero. Believe this is the first below-zero temperature we have had in a couple years. Toledo's record low is -17F. Our wind chill was at about that level. Much better today.....low this morning was 1F. :-c

Did ya see the low the other morning at International Falls, MN. Something in the range of -48F. That's without the wind chill figured in! :-c

This Bear was in the Upper Peninsula in February, 1978, when the real temperature was -39F. I started my car every few hours and went for a bit of a crunchy-snow-under-foot stroll. Of course, I was wearing the olde snowmobile suit. I looked like a Paradise, MI, version of the "Michelin Man". :-c:D

As for snow in NW Ohio.....just about at our mid-January level.

Bear

oldy

Cyburbian
It's 3 degrees F in SE Michigan at the moment :( In my parents' town in England, it's currently 43 degrees at 2:00 AM. Sounds nice!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Outside of my townhouse just east of the Cornell University campus, the temperature is the same as John Blurarsky's GPA: zero point zero. The low tonight is going to be -16°F/-27°C.

Of course, Bailey has to go out more often tonight then when it's 70° out; every half hour she's been doing the unbreakable pee stare.

Planit

Cyburbian
There was 6" of snow in the Outer Banks this weekend. That like never happens out there.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday when I walked into town to get my Sunday paper and coffee it was a balmy 1° outside. I love the cold though so I wasn't complaining. On the way back home, I stopped in a local bakery to get some chocolate babka to take home, saw my reflection in the window, and noticed that condensation had formed in my eyebrows on the half block from the coffee shop and had frozen into little icicles.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
I was still rubbing my eyes this morning but I could have sworn the temp. was "depressing"

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Upstate cold. -14°F this morning, and a balmy 10°F now.

How does it feel? Not that bad, if the sun is shining, and there's no breeze. Had no problems starting the car this morning.

LBiHX.jpg

fP1jV.jpg

2FFeU.jpg

StTvU.jpg

Yes, I actually saw a few brave souls out in skirts and shorts.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
One of the things I will miss about Austin when/if I move away: weather. It was a nice, sunny 57º F here today, and it's supposed to be sunny and in the upper 50ºs/low 60ºs the rest of the week. Next week is supposed to be mid-50ºs and light rainish. This is about how winters get down here. It's strangely almost a world different than even Dallas-Fort Worth (they get a lot more snow/ice than we do - and that's saying something - and their temps are usually about 10º or so cooler than here in winter).

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Like seemingly many other places recently, Hawaii has just had a "100-year" storm event. It really didn't feel particularly dramatic, but it did rain a lot and the roads flooded near my home. A few businesses lost electricity. Nothing too major though, except that the rain caused the Oahu landfill to close. Medical waste (including blood vials and syringes oh my!) overflowed into leeward beaches which had to be closed for safety reasons. As a secondary impact, garbage is piling up on the streets and overflowing out of dumpsters. If this doesn't highlight how wasteful consumer-based society is and how much preventable waste is created in Hawaii on a daily basis, then I don't know what would. The rain seems to have let up for the past few days but the streets stink. My dogs enjoy it more than I do.

Otis

Cyburbian
52F and cloudy on the Oregon Coast.

But the heavy rain we had last week started a slow moving landslide that threatens to break our 24" water main. That would cut off water for the whole city.:-c

Jazzman

Cyburbian
According to the Weather Channel, it was -9 F the other night here in central New Jersey, but I really don't believe that............I was out late that night, and while I do remember it being cold, I seriously doubt it was that cold. Probably somewhere right around the 0 degree mark, give or take a degree or two.

Right now it's in the teens. Tomorrow it will be a balmy 37 degrees with snow and rain (yuck).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
One of the things I will miss about Austin when/if I move away: weather.

Even the summers? I liked the heat when I was standing still, but I hated doing anything in it. I do like a New Mexico-style dry heat, though.

Jazzman

Cyburbian
Went back and checked TWC, and according to them it was -12 F in New Brunswick last night. I was out late last night too, and once again, it was definitely not that cold..........maybe one or two degrees below zero at the most. Where are they getting their info from???