• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
Kjel & LP &any Boston are Cyburbians:

Enjoying the snow this morning?

NHP: Did you get any of that white stuff too?

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
I moved from Connecticut to Vermont 6 years ago. Since then, they have gotten more snow there than I have here, five out of the 6 years. I talked to my folks in northeast CT this morning and they report another 22 inches fell yesterday/overnight.

We've gotten snow nearly every day, but just a few inches at a time. The ground has been white since mid December and I haven't seen my grass since. We hit the really cold temps early this week-- my co-worker reported -28 at his house-- but its warmed up to a very balmy feeling 10 degrees today.

I don't mind the cold so much as I miss the sun. Here in the Champlain Valley, its overcast 90% of the winter. Thank goodness the summers are unparalleled.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Even the summers? I liked the heat when I was standing still, but I hated doing anything in it. I do like a New Mexico-style dry heat, though.

I'm okay with heat. Ever since I had mono in 2006, I've been much more adept in hot weather than cold, even with the Texas humidity. Even on occasions when it is unbearable to be outside for any lengthy period of time, I find it easier to deal with such weather for 2 month, sometimes 3, of the year than to deal with bouts of freezing weather from lat October through early April. Of course, I could put up with it if I had to (and may, depending on where I wind up for school).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Living in a cold climate, you start to learn that temperature is relative. If you're coming inside to a 65° house when it's 15° outside, that 65° feels quite warm. When there's a cold front and temperatures are in the single digits or less over the course of a few days, you feel relieved when it "warms up" to the 20s. When I was in college, students would pour out from the dorms into the quads, many in t-shirts and shorts, when temperatures returned to the 50°-60° range in the spring.

Just as southern cities have a fluke snowfall every year or two, it's not uncommon to see a fluke heat wave during a northern winter. I remember one time I was in Buffalo for Christmas, with temperatures in the low 70s.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
The East Coast folks are such wimps! When I lived in Albany (Albanians identify with NYC and Boston and deny they have anything in common with us rubes from the rest of Upstate NY), I used to laugh at them declaring a "snow emergency" for 6 inches of snow in 24 hours! Here in Chautauqua County, unless the snow comes down around an inch an hour and the wind causes white outs and snow drifts, we don't close for snow. If we did, we'd be closed from December through March!!! 8-!

We did have a lot of schools closed or delayed on Monday because of the cold, however, when the temps were down in the -15 or -20 range in the outlying areas. I suspect a whole lot of school buses wouldn't start. While WNY gets much more snow (200 inches in Chautauqua County/150 inches in Buffalo) than eastern NYS, Vermont, and NH, we don't really cold temps that often. I haven't experienced -20 since I moved to Jamestown in 1998.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We are currently seeing light to moderate snow across Northern Illinois this morning. About 1 to 2 inches is expected. However, I heard that parts of the northeast got 1 to 2 feet and have set new records for January snowfall.

Otis

Cyburbian
64 degrees and sunshine on the central Oregon coast, where as far as Californians are concerned it always rains. Don't tell.:-#

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kjel & LP &any Boston are Cyburbians:

Enjoying the snow this morning?

NHP: Did you get any of that white stuff too?

I am tired of snow.

First was the Boxing Day Blizzard that left 28"
1/7 another 2"
1/8 left 1"
1/11 brought 7"
1/17 meted out 1"
1/20 saw 3"
And last night brought 14"....the snow from 1/17 and 1/20 had not completely melted and 1/24 and 1/25 saw below 0F temperatures which froze everything.

So that's 56" in 30 days in a city that I've lived in for 4 years that didn't get that much in those years combined. Guess what? More snow is on the way.

That's

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Northern Illinois is under a Blizzard Watch for a major winter storm expected to occur this Tuesday night into Wednesday, just in time for Groundhog Day. This will be preceded by a smaller event of 2 to 4 inches on Monday. Total snowfall could exceed 18 inches and winds are projected to increase to 35-45 mph with 3 inch per hour snowfall rates during the height of the storm, which will create whiteout conditions. This is likely to be the biggest snowstorm to hit the greater Chicagoland area in 12 years.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
It's 21 and heading downward for the rest of the day. Rain has changed to sleet and then to snow at 6am here in Dallas. Lovely.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Helped a vet student dig their car out of the snow, and then took the bus to work. On snowy days like this, it's best to leave the driving to the pros.

Also, New York is the new Buffalo.

And there was the nagging question: Is New York City the new Buffalo, where snow — snow on the ground, snow on the roof, snow on the windowsill, snow in the forecast, snow measured with a yardstick, not a mere ruler — is just a fact of everyday life? All snow, all the time.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Blizzard Warning starts at 5pm for West Michigan.

It's killing me the psuedo-histrionics the teevee weather folks are getting into..."MIGHT be as bad as the Blizzard of '78.....IF the front tracks this far north we could get as much as.....POSSIBLE lake effect for additional X feet...." blah blah blah. I think meteorolgists live for these moments and are cherishing every moment of extra attention they can grab.

Folks, Weatherman Maister is advising viewers in West Michigan to expect no more than 14-18". Big. Deal.:r:

SGB

Cyburbian
I live about 50 miles north of work. Forecast is calling for about one foot of snow at home, and 1-2 feet at work, with the heaviest snow expected during the day tomorrow.

Can you say snow(shoe) day?!? :h: :D :h:

Actually, I'll have to use some of my leave time - but it will beat slogging through the long commute.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Actually, I'll have to use some of my leave time - but it will beat slogging through the long commute.

I put my winch on the front of the Jeep yesterday afternoon (wishful thinking?), threw my Sorel boots, tow strap, jumper cables and a few other supplies in before heading to work today. If we get the doom snow they are predicting and they don't close my office (they never do anyway), I take it as a badge of honor to make it in when everybody else calls in!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian

Good call, SGB. I can't believe how heavily the snow is coming down right now. :-o Two appointments I had today have been rescheduled - no surprise there.

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rolled out of bed and trudged downstairs to the office. If it keeps up like this I may head back to bed for a nap, or possibly curl up in front of a roaring fire in the fireplace, wrapped in a comfy blanket with a dog lying on top of me.

OK, so I did clean six inches of snow off the driveway already, even though it was Mrs. Cardinal who had to go out, and not me. It is snowing hard here, and we are supposed to get a foot and a half before it is all over.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We were killed this morning. 2-3 inch ice sheet everywhere. It was worse north, and a bit better south.

Not looking forward to whatever today brings us....

btrage

Cyburbian
It's killing me the psuedo-histrionics the teevee weather folks are getting into..."MIGHT be as bad as the Blizzard of '78.....IF the front tracks this far north we could get as much as.....POSSIBLE lake effect for additional X feet...." blah blah blah. I think meteorolgists live for these moments and are cherishing every moment of extra attention they can grab.

Folks, Weatherman Maister is advising viewers in West Michigan to expect no more than 14-18". Big. Deal.:r:

Here in GR it's been dubbed "The Groundhog Day Dump". :r:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member

[OT]When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter. [/OT]

Back on topic:

Just rain here in the Ohio Valley, followed by some light snow on the back end, with strong winds. I'll take it over ice, any day. Indy, apparently, is getting whacked with ice.

Veloise

Cyburbian

To which one of my FB friends replied, "stay classy, [local weatheman's name]."

Newsflash: this is Michigan, It's January/February. This is why we have snow shovels, brushes, plows, boots...

Planit

Cyburbian
It's 21 and heading downward for the rest of the day. Rain has changed to sleet and then to snow at 6am here in Dallas. Lovely.

Just in time for the SuperBowl huh? Those cold weather teams brought it with them.

Hope Bear doesn't slip and fall on the ice with you hinky!

In our little slice of land on Sunday we had beautiful weather, high near 70 and sunny. Yesterday high was 44 and breezy but it felt colder because of the warm weekend.

Everyone stay warm!

mgk920

Cyburbian
What more perfect time and place for a half-meter plus Snowpocalypse™ to hit...

...than in Chicago - a few weeks before a mayoral election!

:h:

-Also-

And then when that clears up, it will be an avalanche of people with green and gold clothing and yellow foam cheeseheads descending upon the metroplex!

:b::D:b:

Mike

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio Weather

Most of NW Ohio is being spared from the really heavy snow, but significant ice accumulations are already taking place, especially south and southwest of Toledo. T-Town (and my Swanton home) is now getting moderate snowfall. We don't really expect that much, though. Maybe about 6 more inches.

The problem will be on Wednesday, especially in the rural areas. Winds gusting to 50 MPH will lead to significant drifting. Rural township plows just won't be able to keep up.....until the wind dies down.

Should be an interesting day. Earlier today my county (Fulton) was hit with a blizzard warning. Not sure if that is actually gonna happen.

Stay warm.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Along the Ohio it is 54 degrees
forecast - dropping to 24 by 6 am w/ wind chill to 9

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We got a MASSIVE 4" of snow at my house. :r:

I guess cutting that escape hole in my roof yesterday evening was a bit of a rash decision.

Planit

Cyburbian
I guess cutting that escape hole in my roof yesterday evening was a bit of a rash decision.

Just use it to install a skylight in the spring. For the time being use a blue tarp.

Saw on the Weather Channel this morning the ThunderSnow and Lightening in downtown Chicago. Cantore had one burst (I guess close to him, it was loud and bright) and shouted "Jesus! Son of a"

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This week's total snowfall in the Swanton, OH, metroplex ;) is about 14 inches. It arrived in 3 different blasts. It seems like less-than-a-foot because it was spread out over a few days. A 14-incher would have seemed bigger. :-c:-$;):D

We never lost power. About 1000 homes in the Toledo area lost their electricity.

Lucas County is at a Level 3......nobody allowed on the roads except emergency personnel or authorized folks (such as media, doctors, yadda). I would guess that we drop to Level 2 later this afternoon.

Merry Christmas!

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, we got about 17 inches of snow here in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. If you include Monday night/Tuesday morning, we got over 20 inches. If you include the previous snowpack, it tops 2 feet. The snow is still coming down heavily in Chicago and the near suburbs, due to intense lake-effect and lake-enhanced bands, so their totals will likely be jacked up to near 20 inches, ensuring this storm's place a rank among the Top 5, potentially Top 3, winter storms of all time in Chicago

Outside my house, 2-4 foot drifts are the rule. And this is in a residential neighborhood. I can't imagine what the open areas are like. And I have yet to see a plow go by. The snow has mostly tapered off, but the winds continue to howl, blowing the snow all around. My house shakes during the strongest gusts, which have topped 50 mph since last night.

Nearly every school is closed (including Chicago's which haven't closed since 1999), every college & university, every library, many county and municipal governments, many workplaces. However, Walmart was not, which means I had to call in sick last night. :r: Lake Shore Drive was shut down last night, as many people had been stranded on the road since rush hour. Interstate 80 was also shut down for about 70 miles last night.

Oh, and not to one up you Bear, but the town next door has classified this as a Class D storm.

The One

Cyburbian
Still not bad here......

Woke up to 33 degrees this morning, but we should hit the low 60's with 20mph winds today. Burrr.

prana

Cyburbian
No snow here, but clear skies let overnight lows hit -35F with wind chills at about -42F. 8-! My wife is not happy! Hell, my truck was not happy when I tried to start it after having to park it outside.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The snowfall at O'Hare is now 19.5 inches, making this the third-biggest snowfall of all time, ranking behind only the Blizzard of 1999 (2nd) and the Blizzard of 1967 (1st). Although, the Blizzard of 1999 wasn't as much of a blizzard as it was just a heavy snow. So really, this is the worst blizzard we've seen in over 40 years.

The local news media have been on-the-air since 4am this morning, pre-empting the national morning shows. ABC7 just changed-out their early morning crew with their mid-day crew, who usually do the 11am news.

Interstate 290 between Woodfield Mall and Oakbrook is closed. That is a very busy road with many lanes that never closes!

A Civil Emergency has been issued for Lake County, IL through 5pm tonight, because pretty much all roads are impassable and all resources are currently being used to reach stranded drivers.

A low of -15 is predicted tonight, with wind chills dropping to below -30.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Here in Ithaca, the big storm everybody was bracing themselves for never arrived. A few inches of granulated snow, and that's it. Streets are plowed down to the pavement curb to curb, and there's no traffic delays. Many businesses and practically every school except Cornell announced closures yesterday, and today at the office it's dead. The bus into work was only half full, pedestrian traffic on the downtown streets sparse, and the phones are silent.

In accordance with county contingency plan "White Flight Reversal" we load all of our snow up in the middle of the night and dump it south of 8 Mile.

Just like they do with old tires! Brilliant!

prana

Cyburbian
and today at the office it's dead. The bus into work was only half full, pedestrian traffic on the downtown streets sparse, and the phones are silent.

Sounds like a good day to catch up!! Or maybe your desk isn't completely buried like mine?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Snow isn't the issue here in Dallas, it's ice and cold. Don't know if it got down to the single digits last night but it's not supposed to go above 19 today. Still have to go out for a client meeting today and I'm not looking forward to it. Everything else has been canceled/rescheduled. It was all those d@mn Steelers and Packers dragging the front down here for the Super Bowl.

Rygor

Cyburbian
We had ice pellets falling from the sky most of yesterday so we now have about 3" of ice pack with another 4-5" of snow over it. I backed out of my driveway this morning riding on top of the ice, hit the area where my curb come up to the driveway, and promplty got stuck as I sunk into the ice pack. Yes, my AWD vehicle with 9" of ground clearance was helpless until I could use a shovel to clear the snow out from around the tires. Made it in to work after that but of course they decided to send all 5 of us who made it in back home anyway. Ok with me, but I should have just slept in.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It took me three hours to dig out the driveway , walk, and patio. We got something like a foot of show on top of what we already had (more than a foot), and it drifted to four feet in some places. It was well over the top of the snowblower. It is also well over the head of Luke, aka "Little Big Dog", who has not gone off bounding over snowbanks like usual. I intend to pull out the snowshoes and tire him out later today.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Horrible here today. Home was 2-3 inches of ice on top of what we already had. Half my trees have limbs down and I was out of power from 8pm yesterday to noon today.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Here in Ithaca, the big storm everybody was bracing themselves for never arrived. A few inches of granulated snow, and that's it. Streets are plowed down to the pavement curb to curb, and there's no traffic delays. Many businesses and practically every school except Cornell announced closures yesterday, and today at the office it's dead. The bus into work was only half full, pedestrian traffic on the downtown streets sparse, and the phones are silent.

The Southern Tier seems to have been spared. We got some snow, a very thin layer of freezing rain, then rain, and now, snow flurries. The NWS was predicting 16 inches, and we might get 4-6 total, which for this part of the world, is nothing much. Needless to say, nothing much is closed. Only 3 school districts in Cattaraugus and Chautauqua Counties closed: Westfield, Ripley, and Pine Valley.

OTOH, total panic overtook Erie County. I think every public and private school plus all the colleges in the county closed before 9 PM last night not to mention most churches and social service agencies. I think they got a grand total of about 4 inches in the last 24 hours.

The real problem with the NWS and the media scaring the bejesus out of people is that someday they won't be hyping bad weather, but people won't believe them.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We had 25-30 degree temp drop from yesterday to today. They are predicting freezing rain/drizzle starting tonight and tomorrow morning.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Snow isn't the issue here in Dallas, it's ice and cold. Don't know if it got down to the single digits last night but it's not supposed to go above 19 today. Still have to go out for a client meeting today and I'm not looking forward to it. Everything else has been canceled/rescheduled. It was all those d@mn Steelers and Packers dragging the front down here for the Super Bowl.

But, since it is Super Bowl week, we had a faster/better response than previous Artic Blasts/Incursions. The rolling blackouts are a PITA, though. Hubby's off for the second day in a row, while I had to burn a vacation day to stay home yesterday. I'm at the office today, along with 5 coworkers (out of 25). I'm leaving early, that's for sure! I want to be home before the ice can get any worse.

natski

Cyburbian
Well our temps here in Sydney have been above 35 degrees C (95F) and on Monday and Tuesday were above 41 degrees C (105F).

In addition to that we have Cyclone Yasi in North Queensland that is pretty freakin massive and hit the coast as a category 5 cyclone with an eye of 30 somthing km's. Its so strong that it will prob go over a couple of hundred kms inland to where my bf is currently working in the minefields. Pretty scary stuffs.