• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
...In addition to that we have Cyclone Yasi in North Queensland that is pretty freakin massive and hit the coast as a category 5 cyclone with an eye of 30 somthing km's. Its so strong that it will prob go over a couple of hundred kms inland to where my bf is currently working in the minefields. Pretty scary stuffs.

I've been following that. It looks like the damage so far has been really bad.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I think I'm getting local news storm coverage fatigue. The Big 3 local networks were on with local storm coverage non-stop from 4am - 1pm today, 4pm to 6:30pm today, and then again for the 10pm news.

So, pretty much a 3 hour break in the afternoon and a 3 hour break for prime time, and that's it.

Oh, and many places are closed for another day tomorrow, including Chicago Public Schools. In all seriousness, that is not a good thing for many of the more impoverished students. Lake Shore Drive is still shut down and the cars are still stuck there. It's going to take a long time to dig them out. It's a good thing Daley's not running for re-election, cause this is turning into a PR nightmare.

Veloise

Cyburbian
View out my back door
grrecyclesnow.jpg

and down my street after several of us carved trails
171583_497209634561_605259561_6218803_6053122_o.jpg

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
I have winter storm envy :)

Mails my 17 inches of snow to Terra
. I love snow but I am sick of snow and winter. I just want to see a day over 35 again. In January, we only had 4 days above 35. :not:

It was nice to get a rare day and a half off of work, but I am already stir-crazy and ready to go back to work. It really is amazing how terrible daytime tv is.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
This morning, it got down to -12, with a wind chill of -26.

Many places pre-emptively closed last night for a second day in a row today, since it is taking so long to clear all the snow and all the cars. Chicago Public Schools is closed for a second day in a row, which is largely precedented, in addition to many suburban school districts and many colleges too. My alma mater is closed a second day in a row, which is very unprecedented, but it is a commuter school, and since many roads to get there are still impassable, it's understandable.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Day 3 of ice and more ice. Snow is gone, but we may get more in the overnight hours tonight. Haven't seen the freezing mark since 12:30 Tuesday morning. It might reach freezing tomorrow, but probably not.

I don't mind the hard freeze. We need one every couple of years to 1) kill bugs and 2) remind us why we live in the south. A couple days of really cold temps are all we need. This, however, is not the first round this season, and it may not be our last. First time for my garage door to freeze shut, though.

I'm ready to road rage on the idiots that think all the ice is off the streets because the stretch of concrete in front of them has been driven on. If they would slow down a bit and leave more space between vehicles, then maybe we wouldn't have so many accidents and the highways wouldn't be closed. And maybe I wouldn't be so stressed out about driving. Geez.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This morning, it got down to -12, with a wind chill of -26.

Many places pre-emptively closed last night for a second day in a row today, since it is taking so long to clear all the snow and all the cars. Chicago Public Schools is closed for a second day in a row, which is largely precedented, in addition to many suburban school districts and many colleges too. My alma mater is closed a second day in a row, which is very unprecedented, but it is a commuter school, and since many roads to get there are still impassable, it's understandable.

The story about stranded motorists on Lake Mich Drive was outrageous

Veloise

Cyburbian

Look up that topic on YouTube. Many street-level vids, along with ones taken by the trapped motorists. And at least one from a high-rise. I stopped watching after her 4am update. "The lake is sill frozen, which is good."

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I got the same stuff (lots of ice) as Hink, but it didn't get as bad for us in the north side of the metro. Although the ice was/is still pretty thick in places my neighborhood never lost power (yay for underground utilities and City owned power company) and the local and regional roads were sufficiently cleared for me to drive the 10 miles to/from work on Tues and Weds with no problem. I honestly don't understand the seeming hysteria around here. But, I spent 8 years living in Chicagoland and was raised in northern LP Michigan.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian

I think you mean Lake Shore Drive. ;)

Regardless, it was indeed. There are actually stories like that on some of the rural roads that you don't hear about. About 10 minutes from me, 50 cars were stuck on a state highway and were rescued by members of a snowmobile club. 24 hours after the storm ended, another state road is still closed due to mountainous snow drifts and stuck cars that have yet to be towed. Both are roads I used to travel all the time to go back and forth between college and home. I'm glad I've graduated.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Look up that topic on YouTube. Many street-level vids, along with ones taken by the trapped motorists. And at least one from a high-rise. I stopped watching after her 4am update. "The lake is sill frozen, which is good."
My sympathy for the stranded drivers is greatly tempered by the fact that they should have known better too. Especially, when it likely would have better to stay in you downtown office building than try to drive home in the midst of the biggest storm in 30-40 years.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
As I tell my staff and other native Southeners, snow is pretty for about 1 day. After that is cold, dirty, slushy and icy. I don't miss it at all.

Couldn't agree more. Living in the Midwest during winter is like being in an abusive relationship.

I'm sorry Illinois but I think I'm leaving you. California just knows how to treat me right.

Random Traffic Guy

Cyburbian
I'm ready to road rage on the idiots that think all the ice is off the streets because the stretch of concrete in front of them has been driven on. If they would slow down a bit and leave more space between vehicles, then maybe we wouldn't have so many accidents and the highways wouldn't be closed. And maybe I wouldn't be so stressed out about driving. Geez.

{4x4 user who drove 125+ miles yesterday in north DFW}
I'll leave plenty of space but would it hurt to pick up the pace a bit?
{/4x4 user}

My sympathy for the stranded drivers is greatly tempered by the fact that they should have known better too. Especially, when it likely would have better to stay in you downtown office building than try to drive home in the midst of the biggest storm in 30-40 years.

I don't understand the mindset of some of those people when there's a whole city only a short walk away. "Wah, I don't want to leave my car". Well, now you can sit in your car for 12 hours and then be forced to leave it, great plan! Should have known better than to start and should have been prepared for a night out too.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Another lovely day in DFW, looks like we got 3-4 inches of snow at my house. Didn't need that on top of the ice and some more is on the way. I'll be working at the house again. Weekend plans are in limbo.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
2.1 inches of snow at my apartment complex. Doesn't sound like a lot, but for Austin it is. There were over 100 auto accidents overnight because of it - no one knows how to drive on this stuff down here 'cause it never happens.

I'm off work today, so the wife and I went out to breakfast, partly because its rare for us to be off work together and partly to test out our new Hyundai Accent's winter weather prowess. Overall grade for the car - not bad. Only slid once and it wasn't near the sinking feeling as I had when the old Monte Carlos started to dove tail. Of course, being only 1/2 of the weight probably helps considerably.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
2.1 inches of snow at my apartment complex. Doesn't sound like a lot, but for Austin it is. There were over 100 auto accidents overnight because of it - no one knows how to drive on this stuff down here 'cause it never happens.

I'm off work today, so the wife and I went out to breakfast, partly because its rare for us to be off work together and partly to test out our new Hyundai Accent's winter weather prowess. Overall grade for the car - not bad. Only slid once and it wasn't near the sinking feeling as I had when the old Monte Carlos started to dove tail. Of course, being only 1/2 of the weight probably helps considerably.

Enjoy the rare snow day down there. My g/f's mother lives in Houston and she got a snow day today as well. A bit ironic since she is from Minnesota. Although Houston got a lot of ice from this storm and with all the elevated highways there, I am sure it is a mess! Oh well, enjoy the long weekend! :D

Mud Princess

Cyburbian

Don't forget about tires! If your tires aren't in good shape, even the best 4-wheel drive vehicle can lose traction in snow and ice. I know because it happened to me years ago when I was driving our old Subaru Forester in a snowstorm; I hit a road sign turning onto our street. (If there had been more cars on the road that day, it could have been a whole lot worse.) Turns out my tires didn't have much tread left.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Another lovely day in DFW, looks like we got 3-4 inches of snow at my house. Didn't need that on top of the ice and some more is on the way. I'll be working at the house again. Weekend plans are in limbo.

It's still snowing downtown. Lovely. Drive in this morning wasn't that bad, except that you could never be sure which lane you were in. Lane markers were completely covered.

I'll be leaving early.

kms

Cyburbian
I worked outside in the SUNSHINE today! It made up for the weeks of gloom we've had.

Jazzman

Cyburbian
As I tell my staff and other native Southeners, snow is pretty for about 1 day. After that is cold, dirty, slushy and icy. I don't miss it at all.

You're so right. Although I have to admit a thick snow cover on a sunny day is pretty, even right now when the snow here has been on the ground for at least 3-4 weeks.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW OH & Blizz 2011

Northwest Ohio info, regarding the Blizzard of 2011.....

Extreme NW corner received 12-16 inches of snow, very little sleet or ice. Counties near Toledo received about 6-10 inches of snow, with some sleet and some ice. Southern counties in the NW OH area received just a few inches of snow, some sleet, and some (often considerable) ice.

Swanton (Bear's home) was lucky. Even the strong winds didn't create too much of a problem on the open farm roads.....because the thin glaze of sleet covered the powder-like snowpack.

My distribution center was closed on Wednesday, due to Lucas County issuing a Level 3 status. At that level only emergency vehicles and authorized vehicles can be on the roads. You know, kind of like a police state. :-c

We are expecting a couple inches of that white stuff today. Noticed that this morning's Toledo temperature was at 13F. Marquette (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) was at 32F. WTF? :-c:D

Bear

Rygor

Cyburbian
Got another 3-4" last night. More on the way, including another bigger snowstorm on Monday supposedly. We are already knocking on the door of "snowiest winter on record."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Spent the last couple days driving across the middle of the country. My winter strategy is to just head south to get to better weather. Unfortunately it has not been completely successful. I ran into snow between Springfield IL and St Louis MO on Saturday. Sunday I found snow from the TX-OK border to Clovis, NM. How much more will I get before I make it back home? Wait and see.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The abandoned railroad right-of-way behind my place of residence.

QqXPC.jpg

Pictured: Guinness the Prolifically Pooping Portie.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
It's snowing again.

Last week it was ice, more ice, a little snow, more ice, and then melted slush. All in a 5 day period.

Today it's a little ice, plummeting temps, wind, snow, and more freezing temps and maybe more ice, in a two day period.

I'm ready to move south(er) than Texas! :tx:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'm Melting!

First day above 32F in awhile, here in NW Ohio. Saturday the ol' therm-o-meter jumped to a cozy warm 34F. Woo-hoo! :)

This week we will see a lot of our accumulated ice and snow do the melting dance. In my yard the snow, even after natural compacting, is still about 16" deep. The expected Friday temperature will be near 50F. More importantly, the temperature, even at night, will remain above freezing for a few days. That will speed-up the melt.

It is still mid-February, though. Still more cold, some bitter cold, more snow and more ice will find its' way to the frozen shores of Lake Erie......and all of the other Great Lakes. Years ago, on a quickie vacation trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, we left Toledo on a Friday night.....and the T-Town temperature was about 0F. When we purchased gas in Grayling, MI, the temperature was about minus-20F. That night in the U.P. it was (actual temp) minus-39F. Mid-February, baby. A bit nippy. :-c

BTW.....keep your TV eyes peeled for western Lake Erie (Toledo area) to again be on the national news. The walleye are hitting, the frozen lake is filled with snowmobiles and 4-wheelers......usually about 5-10 miles off shore, where the fishies are biting. When the thaw hits the ice sheet cracks or breaks in certain areas, creating open water. Hundreds of fisherman......and their expensive machines......get a free ice flow ride. The ice flow a couple years ago, on the national news, was about a square mile.

Walleye do taste good, though. Mmmmmm......

Bear

btrage

Cyburbian
Although only a high of 39 degrees today, when I stepped outside, I could smell spring in the air. :)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Although only a high of 39 degrees today, when I stepped outside, I could smell spring in the air. :)

Me too. There seemed to be many more birds chirping this morning when I walked into town for my Sunday paper and coffee.

More importantly, this warm weather we're expecting over the next week should hopefully be enough to melt the snow and ice on my roof and get rid of the ice dams that are already backing up into my garage.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My home internet provider does not have connection to NWS website.
Have called 4 times about this - no apology or explanation from them yet.

Work internet is through a different provider and I have access to weather.gov.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Spring is here!!! The airport recorded a high of 72° F today and it's forecast to continue.

Doing the happy dance on the panhandle. :D :h: :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ice storm in the area has knocked out power to thousands of homes. I have been fortunate so far and still have power. They closed the main road on my way to work today, helps to be a local, though, because I know all the back roads in.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
I got none of the rain or ice. It all came as snow and boy did I get a lot of it. I am taking a break from digging out. It will take me a few hours and I have a tiny lot. No work for this planner today only housework!

Works pretty well because most of the folks I have to work with work for real government and got the day off anyways.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I got none of the rain or ice. It all came as snow and boy did I get a lot of it....

Ditto. We got about 11" at my house and it might be the heaviest snow I've ever tried to shovel. After about 10 minutes of doing so this morning, I was about ready to drive to the store and buy a snow blower. Luckily the snow plow showed up for the neighbor's house so I flagged him down with a $20. I think next year I may have to bite the bullet and actually get a plow contract or buy a snow blower... unless I can convince my wife to get a Wrangler for her next car.

btrage

Cyburbian
Ditto. We got about 11" at my house and it might be the heaviest snow I've ever tried to shovel. After about 10 minutes of doing so this morning, I was about ready to drive to the store and buy a snow blower. Luckily the snow plow showed up for the neighbor's house so I flagged him down with a $20. I think next year I may have to bite the bullet and actually get a plow contract or buy a snow blower... unless I can convince my wife to get a Wrangler for her next car.

7" here in Grand Rapids. I am now officially in "angry mode".

Linda_D

Cyburbian
We got a little less than a foot overnight. I'll have a major chore snowblowing when I get home, but this morning, the Subi once again proved its worth as I plowed backwards (literally) down the Driveway From Hell and out into the street. I did get the undercarriage nicely cleaned, however, so that was a plus. ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A view of the crystaline glaze that covers everything today.

2-21-2011_013.jpg

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Ice Station Toledo

The ice storm that hit Toledo on Sunday and Monday morning knocked out power for about 80,000 Toledo Edison and Consumer's Power customers, in the Toledo Metro. Some still have no power. One of the dudes I work with is expected to have his power back on by Friday at 11:00 PM. WTF? :-c

My rugged Tundra was coated with ice, most of it between a half-inch and 5/8 of an inch. It took a long time to chip it off. Haven't had a storm like this in ages. Would have been much better with snow, even if it would have been about a 10-inch to 15-inch dumping.

We are now under a Winter Storm Watch, with a big storm expected to hit on Thursday night and Friday morning. It is a close call between rain-sleet-snow and rain-ice storm. Toledo is just about at the line where the colors change. Ice storms are yucky.

Of course, many of the power lines and trees that are still up have a solid ice coating on them. The morning temperatures in NW Ohio are supposed to jump to about 40F.....that should at least prepare the limbs and lines for another batch of ice. :-c

So, who gets to shoot the freaking groundhog? :D

Bear

AnvilPartners

Cyburbian
Hey -- we've all felt the pain this winter...

I even had a little bit of ice floating around in part of my pool one morning (it was a record-breaker here) -- BBBrrrr -- thank goodness it was gone by about 10!!!!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
End Of The World, Ma!

We are under a Winter Storm Warning here in NW Ohio, and throughout much of the lower Great Lakes. We expect snow in the range of 8" to 10", with some blowing and drifting. No biggie, as long as it doesn't start as ice or change to ice. We have had enough of this ice business hereabouts.

We already told our employees that if Lucas County issues a Level 3 (all roads closed) we will do a "make-up" day on Saturday. Monday is the end of the month and we have numbers to meet. :D

Bear