• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Just another day in paradise.

Yz252.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Had a wintry mix on Wednesday night that produced about a half-inch of crunchy/slushy snow. On Thursday night, we got about an inch of snow. They were originally calling for more last night, but most of it went south and east. With both systems, the snow melted by the next day. Saturday night, another inch or two of snow is expected. After getting 20 inches earlier in the month, these one or two inch systems are merely minor annoyances.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Toledo Snow

The 7" to 9" snowfall a couple days ago pushed Toledo over the top for February snowfall.....most ever in the month of Feb.....nearly 30" of the white stuff. Broke a record that stood for more than 100 years. :-c

Tonight it is raining, with thunder and lightning. The lightning is showcasing the piles of snow, layered across the neighborhood's hidden lawns.

Bear

kms

Cyburbian
Thunderstorms as I fell asleep last night. Thunderstorms as I woke up this morning.

Tornado watch now until this afternoon.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
SAME weather radio went off twice about midnight for a tornado watch and then around 2 am for a severe thunderstorm warning.

local newspaper webarticle had this -
The storm is part of what could be described as an odd weather period for the Tri-State: Temperatures began creeping up out of the 40s on Sunday, and rose to around 70 degrees by 1 a.m. -- middle-of-the-night temperatures more common for June and July instead of the final day of February.

now it is 50 some degrees.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Tell you, that windchill really gets to you sometimes. It's around freezing temp but feels like a blizzard out there.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Woke at about 4.15 AM as the weather radio was going off. Seconds later, the whole house shook and sounded as if it was being attacked. It was so loud it woke my son, who sleeps through everything. We rushed downstairs to shelter and the very fast moving storm was past us by 4.50 AM.

Surveying the property and neighborhood this morning, I'm guessing we had some straight-line winds that accompanied large hail, thus the shaking house and the pounding sound. No damage other than a few weak limbs knocked down, thankfully.

Last edited:

Bubba

Cyburbian
It's calm right now - temps were in the 60s overnight, headed up to the upper 70s today. The nasty stuff is being forecast to hit here around 3 this afternoon - saw one prediction of 60 mph winds. 8-!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Last night, we had light freezing mist, followed by heavy rain. By morning, everything was frozen over. Terrible driving to work this morning.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Rain rain go away
Come again some other day
I want to go outside and play....

It is suppose to rain all weekend. I'm scheduled to 5 dives this weekend while I get my PADI cert. :( I'll be eaten by sharks for sure now.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Stick Around

Typical Great Lakes weather....."Stick around, it will change in a few minutes." :-c (Quite sure this expression is also muttered in other places that experience varying weather, often changing quite quickly.)

Saturday morning in the Toledo area it was in the low-50F range. Felt very pleasant. By 6:00 PM it was 32F and snowing. Oh well.

NW Ohio temps will remain a tad below normal for a few days and then slowly work their way back up to above normal. By next weekend we should be enjoying temps at or near 50F.

I see a corner. Is "spring" lurking behind it?

Bear

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Yesterday at this time there was no snow on the ground. Now we have 14". State of Emergency for the County and the City = snow day!!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
16" of snowfall over here. Work started at noon.

ougvx.jpg

When I was driving in from Buffalo yesterday afternoon, there were white knuckle conditions once I got off the Thruway. The plows hadn't touched the state roads.

In Buffalo, it rained non-stop from Friday through Sunday, after which it turned to snow.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
With the exception of a couple of evenings, its been nice sleeping with windows open for the past ten days or so. I know, it won't be long (three weeks?), and I'll be bitching about the heat and humidity. But then there's always the pool and a bikini clad spouse. :h:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Partly cloudy, temps in the 40s. Nice and dry out, with no slush.

qtToc.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's supposed to get into the mid to upper 50's today!:) There are no excuses now not to break out the bicycle.

Richmond Jake

High in the mid-70's today. I took the afternoon off because of a head cold. Laid by the pool sipping :wine: . Nice afternoon overall. :h:

Last edited:

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Let's see. 75 - 80 degrees. Mostly sunny.

It is like this everyday though, so there isn't much point to talking (bragging) about it. ;)

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Today, it got up to around 60 or 61 in the far suburbs of Chicago. Beautiful day. Glad I was able to run an errand at work today.

Richmond Jake

TS, I love you, I hate you, I envy you. Early in my career, I considered appling for a municipal job with the County of Maui. Didn't go through with it. Thought I'd get island fever. Opportunity forgone. What could have been. Life sure would have been different and I wouldn't have been in the situation I'm in currently. Strange how the world works.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Well, the weather is practically perfect and so is the ocean. Hawaii is gorgeous, but it costs a fortune to live here and if I ever want to retire... ever ever ever... I cannot stay forever.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I envy both of you, RJ and TS. I would kill to be on either the Emerald Coast of Florida or Hawaii. Although, it sounds like Hawaii is a pretty expensive place to live in, especially if you ever wanted to fly home and see your family and friends. Plus, overall, things like food and shelter are all more expensive, generally speaking, right?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Finally.

UK71p.jpg

AFTzi.jpg

Downtown is a lot more crowded today than these images depict.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Finally.

UK71p.jpg

AFTzi.jpg

Downtown is a lot more crowded today than these images depict.

I am trying to guess the sex of the person on the right. :-c
_____

70F here in NW Ohio today. Waaaaaayyyyyyy above normal. Normal is about 47F. The forecast for late next week is temps in the mid-30F range. Eeek!

Bear

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Yesterday: First day of spring. :) Chilly but sunny... Our bulbs have emerged from the ground, and the birds are singing :8:.

Today: Winter is back. Windy, snowy, and cold... :-{

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Partly sunny 70+ along the Ohio River. Time for a lunch time walk. :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's supposed to get into the mid to upper 50's today!:) There are no excuses now not to break out the bicycle.

Looks like a combination of rain, sleet, cold and generally crappy weather this week has effectively delayed me in getting the bike out. The beer gut is grateful for this one week reprieve. Probably should go tilt a few tonight in celebration.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Supposed to get some mid-week rain/ice/snow mix. The joys of spring in Michigan. :r:

Yep.

I was outside yesterday afternoon in relatively pleasant weather raking up the backyard of the leftover twigs/branches/leaves from the fall and winter and by the time we were done with dinner a few hours later the freezing rain was bouncing off of my patio.

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
Ah, spring in Northern New England.

Sunday: rode bikes with just sweatshirts on. Walked by the waterfront, where there is still snow and ice, but no breeze. Ate ice cream outside on Burlington's Church Street and soaked up some rare sun.

Monday: snow, freezing rain, and more snow. Wore ballet flats and no socks to protest. Mother nature laughed and threw in some wind too.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Big Difference

A few times every year the Toledo Metro experiences the following:

Along and near the shore of Lake Erie, with waters still quite cold, the temperature in nearby neighborhoods will hover around 32F. Just a few miles away, in Toledo's western and southwestern suburbs, the temperature (at the same time!) will be in the low 50F range.

One BMF difference! :-c

Years ago, when this Bear owned the BFE home in very rural Henry County, I would occasionally tip a few at The Turtle Club. The Turtle was about 45 miles northeast of my Henry County place. The temps at the club would be at least 30 degrees colder than my place in the boonies.

In the autumn season the same thing happens, but to a lesser degree. However, in the autumn the relatively warm Lake Erie water keeps Toledo neighborhoods warmer than the west and southwest suburbs.

Should mention that Wife 3.0 and Wife 4.0 were both introduced to this old bruin at the Club Turtle. Not at the same time. :-c;):D

Bear

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Fluffy snow. School closings, which is odd considering there's only about an inch or two on the ground.

a6898b43-e76a-db27.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had nothing on the ground at my house and it just rained all night but just about 7 miles further north at my office there is at least an inch of snow on the ground with a layer of ice below and above.

Planit

Cyburbian
high in the low 80s yesterday & today, then for thursday & friday the high is going to be in the low 60s (and the lows around 35)

very interesting weather cycles...

Dan, its normal to close our schools with that much snow here in NC - you guys usually laugh at that much/little snow.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple of inches of wet, gloppy snow. Last week it was 75F outside :-{

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Last night in WI.

THUNDER HAIL!

That would technically be a snowstorm with the snow actually being round balls of frozen ice that would technically be described as hail. However, the balls of snow are light enough that they are annoying rather than painful when hit by them. Also well disguised due to the white color of the small hail particles.

FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED THIS.

kms

Cyburbian
We had some severe weather around here this afternoon. Looks like a couple of tornadoes may have touched down in two areas in my county.

Richmond Jake

Today's high reported by the PWS in the neighborhood: 81 °F.
Currently: 75 °F under clear skies.

Rygor

Cyburbian
This afternoon it was 74 degrees so I got my car washed over lunch. By 6pm it was in the mid-40's and it's supposed to possibly t-storm tomorrow. Ah, spring. :p