• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

kms

Cyburbian
Not too far away (New Kensington). Same County, Greensburg is the County Seat.

I went to that high school, the one near your brother. So you know about where I'm from, in the western part of the school district.

Had dinner at a little place in Arnold. Bad neighborhood, great food, colorful owner.

Tom R

Cyburbian
I went to that high school, the one near your brother. So you know about where I'm from, in the western part of the school district.

Had dinner at a little place in Arnold. Bad neighborhood, great food, colorful owner.
My neice and nephew probably went to the same HS. NewKen-Arnold is a disaster zone. It is slowly being torn or burned down.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Sleety-Wet-Cold and possible snow this AM in the triangle....not a good way to start the last Monday in March. I even wore my winter coat today. Are ya'll getting snow out that way Planit? I am hoping this is winter's last hoorah in these parts.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Tantalizing time of the year. The sun has been out almost every day for the past half week, but the mercury has not gotten much above freezing.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Tantalizing time of the year. The sun has been out almost every day for the past half week, but the mercury has not gotten much above freezing.

Yep, same here. Although it is pleasant to go for an afternoon drive since the sun warms up the car that you can have the windows down a little bit.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sunny and crisp; temperatures in the 40s. Not for long, though; we're expecting a snowstorm on April 1.

FSbkc.jpg

boiker

Cyburbian
They're talking of 95-100 this Thursday and Friday. I know this is Phoenix, but that's 15-20 degrees above normal. I really don't want to turn on the A/C yet.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Flurries this morning, overcast and chilly now. Temps in the low 40s.

A7JGI.jpg

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Are you purposefully making sure there's a Volvo in each shot?

Anyways crisp and sunny in Chicago. It's pleasant enough when your standing right in the sun.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Mid to High 80's today and tomorrow.
Dropping to the low 70's for the weekend. Perrrfect :p

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Not sure if Toledo will get any more measureable snow. Because February set the all-time record, the Glass City is now about an inch over 50" this season. That's about 15" to 20" above normal.

Temps the last few days have been considerably below normal, but sunny and dry. Ole' Sol warms the body on early Spring days and when he is showing his yellow face it really doesn't feel so bad.

Friday night might have a mix of rain and snow showers, but no biggie.

Bear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's snowing right now. Last year it was in the high 60s and a beautiful day.

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
Snow here too. Wet yucky mix. Thankfully, they were wrong about the expected accumulations. One more week until the Florida beaches. One more week until the Florida beaches.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Mid 40's, but cloudy and windy. A pretty raw day. :not: I am tired of being cold, it was a tough winter for central Illinois, record snow and not many warm days. Had a few days in the mid 60's a few weeks ago, but since then mostly 30's and 40's.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Sierra Nevada snowfighting

It's been an unusually snowy winter in Donner Pass/Summit in the Sierra Nevadas this year and for the first time since 1998, Union Pacific has had to fire up their rotary snowplows to reopen their Sacramento-Reno mainline through that pass. This is impressive and rare video of one of these 'snowblowers on ultra-steroids', taken by a Sacramento TV station news helicopter, and has gotten North American railfans buzzing:

http://www.kcra.com/r-video/27364908/detail.html

Enjoy!

:h:

Mike

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
It's been an unusually snowy winter in Donner Pass/Summit in the Sierra Nevadas this year and for the first time since 1998, Union Pacific has had to fire up their rotary snowplows to reopen their Sacramento-Reno mainline through that pass. This is impressive and rare video of one of these 'snowblowers on ultra-steroids', taken by a Sacramento TV station news helicopter, and has gotten North American railfans buzzing:

http://www.kcra.com/r-video/27364908/detail.html

Enjoy!

:h:

Mike

Cool vid! Thanx for posting it!

BEAR

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Today finally felt like a spring day here in northern Illinois. Temps made it up into the 70s this afternoon, and it was a little humid, with a slight breeze. This evening, we had some thunderstorms, accompanied by some gusty winds. Although, it doesn't look like the 70-degree temps will last. Temps are expected to be in the upper 40s and 50s most of this week. Late April and May are usually when the weather starts to stay consistently warmer around here.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Snow flurries and freezing rain. The Little Baby Jesus hates us.

FldqN.jpg

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've got April Showers today. Where is my spring full of flowers blooming, leaves coming forth on trees and the ability to wear dresses, skirts, and sandals?

Planit

Cyburbian
Front came through last night accompanied by a line of strong storms. Several trees down (noticed a couple on houses) and power outages in the area. Rotation was noted on radar and probable ground confirmation today. By all indications it was a tornado.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
I had a dusting of snow at my house this morning ... the ten-day forecast predicts overcast and showers until a week from Thursday ... apparently the most depressing winter in recent memory is going to be followed up by the coldest and most depressing spring in recent memory. Oh, goody! :(

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
No snow or ice here recently but it's still been a bit unseasonably cool here for the past week or so. I remember this time last year I was already able to comfortably run in the mornings before work in just shorts and t-shirt (mid-40º weather) and was preparing to take the hard top off of my Jeep for the season. Not so this year when I'm still bundling up with gloves and a hat before I leave for the office each day.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Front came through last night accompanied by a line of strong storms. Several trees down (noticed a couple on houses) and power outages in the area. Rotation was noted on radar and probable ground confirmation today. By all indications it was a tornado.

Yikes, we had some crazy rain this morning, no tornadoes though in this neck of woods.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A dreary, overcast day in the field.

ly6YF.jpg

Raining now.

OH99i.jpg

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It has been snowing and sticking all day long!!! We've got at least 2 inches at my house, maybe more. It's not even melting on the streets any more. I even had to dig out the snowbrush and clean the snow off the car!!! GRRRRR!!!!

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
I had to scrape frost of the windshield this morning. 30 degrees on my commute in. The weekend forecast looks good though which is of course because I'm getting on a plane and headed south.

Planit

Cyburbian
Dan I just went back 5 pages and saw 8 different pictures looking out your window...all had an array of volvos in them except one and it had a subie. In 3 or 4 pics the same dark blue volvo wagon and silver prius was in the shot. Do you have assigned on-street parking?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Dan I just went back 5 pages and saw 8 different pictures looking out your window...all had an array of volvos in them except one and it had a subie. In 3 or 4 pics the same dark blue volvo wagon and silver prius was in the shot. Do you have assigned on-street parking?

Nope. We have an employee parking lot. Seriously, it's nearly impossible to look outside our office windows and not see a Volvo. Here's what's across the street now.

jzbEf.jpg

The parking spaces along the sidewalk are time-limited to 15 minutes.

Planit

Cyburbian
Nope. We have an employee parking lot. Seriously, it's nearly impossible to look outside our office windows and not see a Volvo. Here's what's across the street now.

jzbEf.jpg

The parking spaces along the sidewalk are time-limited to 15 minutes.

and therre's the same dark blue volvo wagon

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We've had an unseasonably mild early April weekend here across Northern Illinois. 70s yesterday and low 80s today. The sunshine on Saturday and Sunday morning was great. I could see lots of people out and about, emerging from their winter caves.

But it isn't going to last. High temps are supposed to plunge 30 degrees tomorrow. And with that comes severe storms along a cold front.

However, it looks like the worst of the action is hitting western Wisconsin this afternoon. The western part of the state is under a Tornado Watch, which is labeled a "Particularly Dangerous Situation", which is typically applied only when a major outbreak is expected. This watch also extends into parts of the UP of Michigan! Highly unusual for such severe weather all the way up there so early in the season! The NWS is predicting several long-lived, strong to violent tornadoes to impact the area as well as very large hail. Already, there are several tornado warnings, but I haven't heard much yet about just how severe the storms might be. Best wishes for the folks up there.

Northern Illinois, Southeastern WI, and parts of MI (all areas which are more heavily populated with Cyburbians) may get in on some of the action later this evening, so I hope everyone stays alert and heeds any potential warnings.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Well into the 80s today in Chicago. Yesterday was one of those days where there was a huge difference between the lakefront and inland.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Tornado Watch until 1am for the Fox Valley (IL) and Rockford areas west to Eastern IA, south to the St. Louis area.

I believe this is the first Tornado Watch of the season for my area. I think the main threats tonight will be damaging winds and some hail, but a few tornadoes are still possible.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
After an unseasonably cool few weeks, we hit 83º yesterday. Luckily, I had done most of the outdoor cleanup in the chilly weather so I was able to relax and play with my daughter outdoors yesterday. We walked into town and took her to a couple of the parks and then walked around downtown. It seemed that every person within a 3 mile radius had the same idea since the sidewalks were absolutely jam packed well before we got close to town.

It was also nice enough that I could get in a good 9-mile run early in the morning yesterday. Hopefully I'm able to do that tomorrow and Thursday before work as well. If I could convince my wife to move somewhere with year-round warm weather, we would be packing up the house as I type this!

Linda_D

Cyburbian
This past week-end was a very welcome respite from the "Winter that Wouldn't End". It was sunny both days, and it was in the 50s on Saturday and into the 70s on Sunday. Even this morning it was in the 60s, but there's a cold front coming, complete with winds and likely thunderstorms, that will drop the temps back down to the 40s-50s.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
N. Texas had heavy rain, lots of lightning, hail in some areas, all accompanied by 70-90 mph wind. It was an interesting night.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was supposed to be 80F today, however it's still quite cool. Maybe we will make it to 70F. It's supposed to rain the next couple of days. April showers....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Woah. 78 degrees.

Supposed to be a big storm in an hour or two.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302539637.269318.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302539637.269318.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 13

kms

Cyburbian
Hot, humid and cloudy here; waiting for strong storms. Yesterday was sunny and hot, and I have sunburn.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
N. Texas had heavy rain, lots of lightning, hail in some areas, all accompanied by 70-90 mph wind. It was an interesting night.

Interesting? I'd go with sleepless. Both dogs were up pacing, nervous with the heavy thunder and lightning. And when they're up like that, they make sure you are too. I used to sleep through most storms, but that is a thing of the past.

I need some doggy valium.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Interesting? I'd go with sleepless. Both dogs were up pacing, nervous with the heavy thunder and lightning. And when they're up like that, they make sure you are too. I used to sleep through most storms, but that is a thing of the past.

I need some doggy valium.

I had almost forgotten about how our dearly departed golden freaked at even the smallest noise. Thunder would drive him shaking uncontrollably onto our bed if we hadn't had the foresight to tranquilize him a few hours in advance. Still miss the guy even though he cost us a lot of sleep.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Overcast, dreary, low 50s. That big storm never happened.

IU2Qy.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I don't think anyone got that big storm. Weird. You'd think with 30-degree temp drops, someone would get a storm. OK, Wisconsin had a few severe weather reports, but nothing like what they were predicting. Around here, I think I recall a few big wind gusts late Sunday night, but that was it.