• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

mgk920

Cyburbian
I don't think anyone got that big storm. Weird. You'd think with 30-degree temp drops, someone would get a storm. OK, Wisconsin had a few severe weather reports, but nothing like what they were predicting. Around here, I think I recall a few big wind gusts late Sunday night, but that was it.
We did.

The City of Kaukauna, WI, located at the east end of the Appleton metro area, took a direct tornado hit.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20110412/APC0101/104120442

There was also non-tornado storm damage in both Menasha and the Neenah, WI area, just south of Appleton. In the Downtown Appleton area, where I currently live, nary a twig was out of place, although the storm did put on quite a show - the lightning was constant and the thunder was a solid wash of sound. Lots of rain, but not a lot of wind, though. Yep, everyone in my apartment building rode it out in the basement.

Mike

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was 40º and nice and calm out at about 4:45 this morning. Perfect running weather! I was able to get in a 7 mile run before I came in to work. Hopefully the nice morning weather is here to stay now and I can get out there three days a week.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We did.

The City of Kaukauna, WI, located at the east end of the Appleton metro area, took a direct tornado hit.

There was also non-tornado storm damage in both Menasha and the Neenah, WI area, just south of Appleton. In the Downtown Appleton area, where I currently live, nary a twig was out of place, although the storm did put on quite a show - the lightning was constant and the thunder was a solid wash of sound. Lots of rain, but not a lot of wind, though. Yep, everyone in my apartment building rode it out in the basement.

Mike

I wonder if the cheese factory got hit?

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We did.

Mike

Yeah, I do remember seeing a tornado warning for your area. Glad to hear you're alright.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rain. High 40s. The normally crowded downtown streets were fairly empty during lunch.

giA6I.jpg

tIe3E.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Today it's been kind of cold and dreary. Temps in the mid-40s, but feels colder with the 20 mph winds. Tuesday and Wednesday were nicer with temps in the 60s and sunny. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll get back to that for awhile. :(

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mid-40s, partly cloudy. Front on the windshield when I first went outside this morning.

0WIJS.jpg

amqna.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_severe_weather

9 people were killed by severe storms last night in the South, including parts of OK and AR. A tornado killed two people and injured dozens of others in Oklahoma, completely ripping a town apart, while straight-line winds killed seven people across Arkansas. Most of the deaths in Arkansas were attributed to downed trees falling on homes and mobile homes, or winds flipping over mobile homes. More damage continued across TN, MS, and AL.

Some of the stories are so tragic. People killed in bed by trees falling on them. Schools destroyed.

It also goes to show you how deadly and destructive straight-line winds can be...it doesn't necessarily have to be a tornado to wreak havoc. This incident also displays the dangers associated with night-time severe weather.

----

Meanwhile, here in Illinois, it's been quite breezy and the rain is starting to move in. Looks like a cold rainy weekend is in store for us.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
As an update to my previous post, there are now at least 24 confirmed deaths from the severe weather outbreak these past few days across the South, with several deaths and tremendous destruction across the Southeast, particularly in AL and NC. The images on TV are horrible. A Lowes store in Sanford was completely obliterated. Many mobile homes were destroyed. I hope our friends down there are doing OK. A lot of the tornado damage was concentrated in eastern NC, especially in the greater Raleigh area, which produced the deadliest tornado of this outbreak so far (at least 5 deaths). There was also a tornado in Jacksonville, which cut through portions of Camp Lejeune, producing severe damage and injuries. beach_bum, Tide, any others in the area, I hope you are doing alright. Check in when you can.

--

Meanwhile, here in IL, we saw some snow showers this afternoon as well. A month into spring and we're still seeing snow...gotta love the Midwest. Now, it's just really windy. I believe it's all part of the same system that's bringing severe weather to the South.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
As an update to my previous post, there are now at least 24 confirmed deaths from the severe weather outbreak these past few days across the South, with several deaths and tremendous destruction across the Southeast, particularly in AL and NC. The images on TV are horrible. A Lowes store in Sanford was completely obliterated. Many mobile homes were destroyed. I hope our friends down there are doing OK. A lot of the tornado damage was concentrated in eastern NC, especially in the greater Raleigh area, which produced the deadliest tornado of this outbreak so far (at least 5 deaths). There was also a tornado in Jacksonville, which cut through portions of Camp Lejeune, producing severe damage and injuries. beach_bum, Tide, any others in the area, I hope you are doing alright. Check in when you can.

Hey-thanks so much for concern. The weather was crazy here today. We are safe because the tornadoes hit around us in Sanford and South Raleigh. I was out about 2pm and the winds were really strong, headed home and hunkered down as the rain, hail, wind, lightning hit. We lost power for about an hour and half, but thankfully the tornadoes spared my neighborhood. The Raleigh-area has not had a significant tornado since 1984, so a rare event for us. I'm sure more damage will come to light in the AM.

The Lowes in Sanford was incredible, even more incredible, everyone survived because of the employees running all the patrons to the back of the store. One of the local news stations WRAL has a way for local people to upload storm damage photos. People were showing golf-ball sized hail, trees down, collapsed roofs, etc. Definitely worth a look if you want a more local vantage of the storm.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Driving home last night from A-Squared (Bill Maher :)) it started to rain. And then the rain began to morph into snow showers. Ugh! Snow in mid-April is not all that unusual in these lower Great Lakes areas......but my aging bruin body has already kicked into a spring thing so the snow speckles on my Tundra's windshield were not a friendly sight. :-o:-c

Today (Sunday) the strong winds will finally go away but the temperature will only be in the lower 50F range, about 10 degrees below normal.
_____

The storms in the south were amazing and scary. Hope all is well for any and all Cyburbians living and or currently in the twister areas.

Bear

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Snow showers yesterday. Grrr! It's mid-April, someone needs to tell Mother Nature to get with the Program!:-{

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It looks the death toll from the storms in the South is now in the neighborhood of ~40 fatalities. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people down there struggling to pick up the pieces.

---

Meanwhile, just when I thought the snow showers seen yesterday were obnoxious, the forecast is now calling for accumulating snow of 1-2 inches around here tonight. Will this winter ever end? I hope we get some really nice weather in May. Although the forecast for this week doesn't suggest any light at the end of the tunnel just yet.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Glad to hear you are okay beach_bum, I hope the same can be said for Tide!

Gotta love spring in the Midwest, we had snow mixed with rain yesterday morning. Now it's 60 and supposed to be up in the 70's Tuesday before we get a chance of severe storms.

Planit

Cyburbian
I was thinkinmg about you beach-bum. Places around you were getting hit.

We had heavy rain for about 30 minutes and the wiind picked up in the afternoon. I guess the mountains broke things up for us and the line of storms reorganized further east. Glad to hear all is good your way.

Tide, you out there?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Talking 3-5 inches of snow tomorrow. grumble grumble:-{

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Talking 3-5 inches of snow tomorrow. grumble grumble:-{

I would take snow over a risk of tornado.
The Two Convective Outlook from the Storm Prediction Center Norman, OK looks bad.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I woke up this morning around 4:30 a.m. with plans to go to the gym but after stepping outside and seeing there was no snow (we were predicted to get a couple inches starting around 3:00 a.m.), no wind, and it felt about 40º, I decided to go for a run instead. I got about 4 miles out when the snow started falling. It was very thick and heavy and by the time I got home there was already well over an inch on the grassy parts of the yard. 8-! It will likely all be gone before the afternoon is over when it's supposed to be back into the 40s and partly-sunny.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I would take snow over a risk of tornado.
The Two Convective Outlook from the Storm Prediction Center Norman, OK looks bad.

Different emoticons are needed for different weather conditions. Please use the following guide:
75 and sunny:D
85 and sunny :)
95 and sunny:h:
105 and sunny:6:

rainy:glumsmile:
rainy for two days:glum:
rainy for three days:ashamed:

tornado watch:-|
tornado warning:-c
tornado in view8-!

Tide

Cyburbian
Hi all,

I'm not a usual reader or contributor to the weather thread but IP told me to log in and give an update.

This was the second time in the last 4 years (in two states) that I have been through what amounts to mass twisters and just very rough weather. The last time was in SC around Charleston and the weathermen there were saying the same thing they were here in Eastern NC this week and that is this was such a unique weather pattern with so many areas of circulation and things developing rapidly, you don't see it often about every 15-20 years the older weatherman said.

That said, the twister that hit Sanford NC hard is also the one that ripped through Snow Hill and Berite County leaving at least 11 dead in that wake. The one that hit Jacksonville was about 3-4 miles away from my house. I knew it was coming even though they momentarily lifted the tornado warning from Onslow County I could see down in Wilmington and Pender County a line of circulation and hail working its way up US 17 and told my wife to just be ready.

We got the kids out of the beds upstairs and hung out in the living room watching the weathermen go through their paces as fast as they could since at one time there were about 3 tornadoes going on simultaneously and you could hear the weather radios barely pause in between beeping out updates. Lost power twice briefly.

I thought the twister would go right over MCAS New River where no less than 50 helicopters are stationed and that could have been a real mess. It instead tracked about 1-2 miles inland and hit the cantonment area known as Tarwa Terrace I and II or TTI and TTII. There are hundreds of enlisted quarters for families in this area. Word is about 30 units are damaged beyond saving and numerous others have siding, roof, and window damage. This twister also continued into an area known as Piney Green with many homes around the Croatan Forest before settling down and losing steam over the National Forest.

I visited Camp Johnson yesterday and there was no sign of damage and that is only a mile or so from TTI.

Here's a link to the local paper with user submitted pictures: http://portal.jdnews.com/userphotos/gallery.cfm

It is amazing to think that if this had just shifted about 3-4 miles inland it would have gone over our neighborhood but we're glad to be safe and unharmed.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Different emoticons are needed for different weather conditions. Please use the following guide:
75 and sunny:D
85 and sunny :)
95 and sunny:h:
105 and sunny:6:

rainy:glumsmile:
rainy for two days:glum:
rainy for three days:ashamed:

tornado watch:-|
tornado warning:-c
tornado in view8-!

Where are the ones for snow? Particularly snow in the last part of April??? :-c

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Update:

The Sanford-Raleigh-Snow Hill-Bertie County tornado tracked about a mile and half SW of where I live 8-! I pray for the victims and those who have to re-build. I'm glad Tide & family is ok too, scary how a slight change in the track could have been a different story. The town I work for was generally unscathed as well. A few trees down around my building and some debris, but that is nothing compared with the destruction in other parts of the state.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Hi all...

Thanks for the updates from the other Jacksonville Tide. I spent a total of almost 5 years living down there with the last two being aboard Camp Geiger (directly adjacent to MCAS New River mentioned by Tide) and still have friends who work at Camp Johnson and/or live in Tarawa Terrace. I saw all the news about the bad weather in NC over the weekend and most of the coverage here has been about what happened in Sanford. Also, in all the years that I lived down there, I don't recall a single tornado warning, let alone any actually touchdown, unless it was associated with a hurricane or tropical storm.

Recognizing some of the commercial buildings in the photos at the link really makes it hit a bit closer to home for me too.

btrage

Cyburbian
Thanks for the updates from the other Jacksonville Tide. I spent a total of almost 5 years living down there with the last two being aboard Camp Geiger (directly adjacent to MCAS New River mentioned by Tide) and still have friends who work at Camp Johnson and/or live in Tarawa Terrace. I saw all the news about the bad weather in NC over the weekend and most of the coverage here has been about what happened in Sanford. Also, in all the years that I lived down there, I don't recall a single tornado warning, let alone any actually touchdown, unless it was associated with a hurricane or tropical storm.

Recognizing some of the commercial buildings in the photos at the link really makes it hit a bit closer to home for me too.

My BIL is statined at Cherry Point. They lost power. Apparently there was a tornado 8 miles north of there.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Attack Of The Giant Snowflakes

This morning we had a 15-minute bout of snowflakes. They were the biggest snowflakes I have ever seen. A bunch of my work mates grabbed their pic phones and went outside to snap photos. Huge MF snowflakes!

I asked Katie if she had "big snowflakes" at her workplace. She said she had and agreed that they were the biggest snowflakes she had ever seen.

I am not a weatherman. I don't know what atmospheric condition caused those huge snowflakes. Pretty neat, they were.
_____

Wednesday forecast for NW Ohio: :-|

Bear

kms

Cyburbian
Glad you're both OK, beach_bum and Tide. My daughter is a few hours south of you and is OK; she called to report on big hail stones hitting her window.

Stay safe, Kentuckiana folks.

Tide

Cyburbian
Drove through some of the impacted areas of Jacksonville, NC today. Just amazing how a swath of 4 or 5 houses is destroyed and the homes to either side of that are relatively untouched except for some yard or shingle debris.

I saw two businesses moderately damaged and of course it had to hit a MHP. They have a curfew in that part of town 6AM -6PM and there was an officer checking IDs to get in with all other roads blocked off.

I believe there were no fatalities.

I will continue to monitor the housing on base and have better word on that in about a week.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had some heavy rain and hail overnight. Coworkers who live a bit north of me said they had golf ball sized hail coming down around 12:30 a.m. I don't know how big it was around my house, but it was large enough to uproot a bunch of tiger lilies that were coming up (granted, the spot is one with very loose soil that always seems to be about 80% pine needles, but still...).

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Gosh, everyone stay safe out there! It seems like the weather has been awfully violent this spring so far. We are in clean up mode around here...crews from my town are helping a neighboring town that had a lot of damage this week.

btrage

Cyburbian
Thundestorm warning in GR last night. Some small hail. I love thunderstorms, but not when it's 38 degrees. They're so much better in July!!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I love thunderstorms, but not when it's 38 degrees. They're so much better in July!!

Agreed. What fun is a thunderstorm if you can't comfortably stand on your porch beer in hand and watch it roll in.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thundestorm warning in GR last night. Some small hail. I love thunderstorms, but not when it's 38 degrees. They're so much better in July!!

Agreed. What fun is a thunderstorm if you can't comfortably stand on your porch beer in hand and watch it roll in.

Thunder snowstorms are pretty interesting. We had one of those back in February, but of course it rolled through in the middle of the night.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
NWS Louisville has confirmed a tornado (and possibly two) hit Jeffersonville, northeast of Louisville.

Storm damage in my inner-city is quite impressive with many felled trees and a car wash with significant damage. Local schools are closed and power is slowly being restored. No reported injuries, as far as I know.

[OT]Well, there was one injury. Yours truly slipped going down the basement stairs and I landed hard, probably cracking a rib or three. (The carpenter I had replace the original stair apparently had no idea what he was doing and I've meant to get these stairs replaced. I have greater impetus now to do it sooner rather than later.) Broken ribs hurt. Bad.:-$[/OT]

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Clear skiy, air temperature: 82 °F
Pool, clear water temperature: 90 °F

Not bad.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Sounds pretty bad in the north St Louis area.
according to http://www.radioreference.com/ missouri -
North St. Louis County Fire and EMS Live Audio Feed

Gonna be a long night in these parts as whatever we get won't be here until 1 AM or later. Looks like they are trying to train, too. Wonderful.

Be careful, JNA and everyone in harm's way!

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Yes! Wow, I guess I'm not the only dork around here that monitors the SPC webpage on a regular basis.

:cool: Add another member to the Weather Dork Club. If meteorology wasn't such an impossible field to get a job in, I would have went into it. I still watch the Weather Channel like a hawk, especially during severe weather events.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Randoms

The other night a string of thunderstorms rolled through Metro Toledo. The high temperature during that day was about 45F. As night blackened the sky the warm air finally slid into the Maumee River Valley, bringing with it a dazzling lightning display and thunderrumbles just about every other second.

The next day the National Weather Service confirmed that the damage caused to homes in suburban Oregon (eastern suburb) was caused by a small tornado. :-c
_____

It has been a long, long Cyburbian wait for a post from Jaxspra. To my knowledge, she was a St. Louis resident. Hope she is OK.
_____

Yesterday was only the second day this 2011 season that the air temperature in my neck of the woods exceeded 70F. A pleasant Saturday was in effect, bringing 75F temps to NW Ohio. A couple weeks ago we had a day that reached 84F. Today, rain and temps back in the upper 50F range. Normal high for Toledo for this day is about 62F.

Bear