• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
According to NWS Louisville, we've had 6.22" since the 20th and are forecast for another 6 to 7" by Thursday. Looks ugly and about to get even uglier hereabouts.:-c

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
According to NWS Paducah, we received
2.49" YESTERDAY
7.50" MONTH TO DATE
and we are above Flood Stage on the Ohio River, forecast is for 3 ft above by friday.

The radar picture is as Gedunker said
Looks ugly and about to get even uglier
backed up to Oklahoma.

Planit

Cyburbian
I know we haven't heard from jaxspra in a while. Hope she did okay with the storms in St. Louis...

boiker

Cyburbian
:cool: Add another member to the Weather Dork Club. If meteorology wasn't such an impossible field to get a job in, I would have went into it. I still watch the Weather Channel like a hawk, especially during severe weather events.

I studied Meteorology for 2.5 semesters before gracefully bowing out to finish up school in Geography. I got to storm chase a lot with the department professors and graduate students. I still do armchair forecasting and chase-casting for fun.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
What is it with tornadoes striking major metro areas this season? Raleigh 2 weeks ago, St. Louis on Good Friday and Little Rock is under the gun tonight. :-c

We have been so lucky here in Central Illinois, we have been right on the outer fringe of severe weather. I am wondering when our luck will change.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
With one week left, we are going to break the record for rainfall in April by a pretty fair margin. I am tired of rain.

Planit

Cyburbian
Heard on the Wweather Channel this morning that the Army Corps are considering making a breach in the levee at Cairo, IL (yes our favorite town) to alleviate upriver flooding pressure.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
We're finally getting the rain we need but the wind, hail and intermittent tornadoes are starting to get a bit tiresome.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
HOLY CRAP IT'S 80°F (27°C) OUTSIDE

Sunny, too.

FiSMH.jpg

I5P9A.jpg

Eg4IO.jpg

lo5BS.jpg

FFfvt.jpg

Uwtcj.jpg

oqeoa.jpg

4zh0S.jpg

8MHD8.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
There is a 10%+ chance of tornadoes for a large portion of the country and a 30%+ chance of tornadoes (including a large area of increased likelihood of strong and violent tornadoes) for most of the mid-South region. I can't remember seeing values that high! Tornado watches from Michigan to Texas, including two particularly dangerous situations. Tornado warnings are also lighting up.

Stay safe everyone! It doesn't look good.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Isn't that one in the last picture?

Good eye, 3rd back?

There is a 10%+ chance of tornadoes for a large portion of the country and a 30%+ chance (including a large area of increased likelihood of strong and violent tornadoes) for most of the mid-South region. I can't remember seeing values that high! Tornado watches from Michigan to Texas, including two particularly dangerous situations. Tornado warnings are also lighting up.

The NWS site is lit up with Tornado Warnings from Bay City, MI (north of the thumb) to south of Dallas/Ft. Worth. It was nearly 70 here today, yet we have been very fortunate and have dodged the severe weather. Rain on the other hand is another story, we have had nearly 7 inches of rain this month. I want a nice day so I can get out and ride my bike.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
There is a 10%+ chance of tornadoes for a large portion of the country and a 30%+ chance of tornadoes (including a large area of increased likelihood of strong and violent tornadoes) for most of the mid-South region. I can't remember seeing values that high! Tornado watches from Michigan to Texas, including two particularly dangerous situations. Tornado warnings are also lighting up.

SPC Convective Outlook for either day 1 or 2 are scary: :-c :-o http://www.crh.noaa.gov/outlooks/pah

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Did anyone watch the NBC nightly news last night? They were reporting from Arkansas on the tornados and using the Alaska state abbreviation (AK) 8-!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Gorgeous today. 82°F, sunny/partly cloudy.

Here, too. :) In fact, it's soooooo nice out that I CANNOT GET ANYTHING DONE!

:r:

Seriously, I just want to go outside and play. The birds are singing, there's a nice light breeze in the air, and I am mostly staring out the window longingly.

Planit

Cyburbian
Our thoughts & Prayers go out to the people hit by the rash of tornados over the last couple weeks. Especially those in northern Alabama & Georgia after yesterday.

bubba & other Atlantan cyburbians, you guys okay?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Our thoughts & Prayers go out to the people hit by the rash of tornados over the last couple weeks. Especially those in northern Alabama & Georgia after yesterday.

bubba & other Atlantan cyburbians, you guys okay?

My neck of the woods made it through the night relatively untouched. From what I'm seeing and hearing this morning, the worst of it bypassed Atlanta and the immediate close-in northern and southern suburbs...but the rest of north Georgia didn't get the same treatment. 8-!

Linda_D

Cyburbian
After yesterday's tornado outbreak, I will stop complaining about the rain and cold. Things could be much, much worse.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
We had some bad storms here a mere week and half ago, but the devastation in the deep south seems 100 times worse. My thoughts and prayers are with those trying to pick up the pieces today.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
The line of tornados that came through E. Texas on Tuesday night missed my country house by about 5 miles. That was the same storm line that hit Alabama last night. I'm very thankful.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sunny, breezy, temps in the 70s. Can't ask for much else.

5FXzb.jpg

On Friday, the trees were bare, the hillsides gray. Today, everything is green and flowering. The transformation is amazing.

wahday

Cyburbian
Sunny, breezy, temps in the 70s. Can't ask for much else.

5FXzb.jpg

Wow, a Prius, a Subaru AND a Volvo all on the same block. Is this where the college professors hang out?

Today has been the first calm day in about two weeks. We have had INSANE wind (though nothing compared to the South - so sorry you guys!) and its driving everyone here completely batty. This week its been gusts up to 60 mph every day and into the night in some cases. Unrelenting, dry, dusty wind. But no rain. Fire season is already well upon us here with several having burned throughout the state (but again, not as bad as Texas).

But today is calm, thank goodness. I can actually think again...

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Such a sad and horrible story. 8-! Death toll is approaching 300 in the South from the tornadoes. The NWS were saying that even though people had 20 to 25 minutes warning, unless you have a basement or a reinforced room there was little you could do to escape these tornadoes. I am thinking there were some EF-5's in these storms.

I am not looking forward to May, typically the most active month for tornadoes. Let's hope these storms stop and stop hitting major cities.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of the most recent tornado outbreak. I hear the death toll is now pushing 350, making it deadlier than the 1974 Super-outbreak. With such great forecasting and advanced warning, I thought the days of such high death tolls from tornadoes like that were over. Sadly, they are not. :( It's just too hard to escape the rath of a storm so powerful, that it's capable of demolishing multiple well-constructed entirely brick homes (as was seen in an EF5 that hit Smithville, MS).

Glad to hear Bubba's area was spared. Also, I think Jazzman is originally from Alabama. Can't remember where exactly. I hope his family and friends are alright down there. Check in when you can, Jazzman.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mid-60s, which is considered quite warm by Upstate New York standards. Sunny, too. Perfect.

snZA4.jpg

8B0bb.jpg

Qhd9k.jpg

97iuG.jpg

Njr4p.jpg

wahday

Cyburbian
What is this "weather" you speak of?

Man, it is so dry here. In Albuquerque, we're looking at 90 days without precipitation. The whole state is on extreme fire danger alert and all outdoor fires are banned - even on private land. And the wind - its been maddening! A few weeks ago we had a fire started by a flat tire its so dry. They say it was either a spark from the rim hitting the pavement or the flying rubber scraps being so hot that started it. Its pretty scary out there.

But I really feel for all the folks inundated with flooding and tornadoes!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Beautiful spring day here on this Mother's Day. It got up to 70 today. Everyone was out and about. Everyone riding bikes, walking dogs, barbecuing, sitting outside, playing ball. I feel like, today, everyone finally came out of their winter cocoons. I also could definitely notice the trees really starting to bloom.

The nice weather is expected to continue with highs in the low 80s to start off the work week.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
What is this "weather" you speak of?

Man, it is so dry here. In Albuquerque, we're looking at 90 days without precipitation. The whole state is on extreme fire danger alert and all outdoor fires are banned - even on private land. And the wind - its been maddening! A few weeks ago we had a fire started by a flat tire its so dry. They say it was either a spark from the rim hitting the pavement or the flying rubber scraps being so hot that started it. Its pretty scary out there.

But I really feel for all the folks inundated with flooding and tornadoes!

I didn't realize that so much of the south central and south western parts of the country were in the grips of a severe drought until I read an article on weather.com late last week. It's hard to imagine areas being so extremely dry because we (eastern Great Lakes) have had record amounts of rainfall in the last 4-6 weeks, while the Mississippi River Valley is facing record flooding.

We finally seem to have had a break in the wet weather with a mostly sunny, dry, warm weekend and the forecast of more sun for the next week. With the temps in the upper fifties/very low sixties on Mom's Day, folks around here were acting like it was mid-summer, an indication of how cold and miserable our spring has been.

Many farmers are about a month behind in their field work because they couldn't even get out in their fields until this week end.

Planit

Cyburbian
Wow Dan, you out did yourself. A double Volvo Wagon shot!!!8-!

Beautiful today. Sunny skies high of 80 forecast. I think I'll have to walk around downtown this afternoon.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Midwest in Spring

Saturday it was almost hot, with the high May sun angle, with a high in the low 80's. Yesterday was a bit cooler only in the upper 70's. The pollen is terrible here, I used the wipers to clean my windshield this morning which made yellow gross marks across my windshield.

Supposed to be 80 today, although it is struggling to get above 70 so far this morning with the clouds. Near 90 tomorrow and Wed., 60's again this weekend. Spring in the Midwest!

Slightly OT: I am loving the longer days, it makes it easier when I get up at 6 am for my morning run or riding my bicycle to work! Sunrise is now well before 6am, around 5:45 now, with the sun setting after 8 pm now. In about 6 weeks the days will max out with the sunrise at just before 5:30 am and the sun setting just after 8:30 pm. :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Slightly OT: I am loving the longer days, it makes it easier when I get up at 6 am for my morning run or riding my bicycle to work! Sunrise is now well before 6am, around 5:45 now, with the sun setting after 8 pm now. In about 6 weeks the days will max out with the sunrise at just before 5:30 am and the sun setting just after 8:30 pm. :)

Yeah, we're finally at that time of year where east-bound commuter traffic isn't blinded by the low angle of the sun in the morning

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Yeah, we're finally at that time of year where east-bound commuter traffic isn't blinded by the low angle of the sun in the morning

At our latitude, shortly after the blinding sun :h: ascends for blessed relief, the switch to daylight savings brings it right back. I hate daylight savings. :-{

Supposed to hit 92 here today, we're pushing as much heat north as we can. In July & August, please return the favor by sending some coolness our way. Thanks in advance.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've had a string of high 60s and low 70s days which have been lovely....except for the extraordinary amount of pollen flying around which is making many people, myself included, quite miserable.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
76 degrees out already, with a dewpoint of 70 (muggy). I hate humidity! :not: High of 90 today and near 90 tomorrow, mid 60's and rain by the weekend.

Wondering with the 90 today if riding my bike to work was a bad idea?!