• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
I read that we only had 5 days without rain in all of April. And I think 2 of those had snow.

But we are on quite the sunny streak now. Highs in the low 60s, and I see a bright glowing orb in the sky!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It's 85 degrees right now across much of Chicagoland. And sunny! I feel like we went straight to summer today. Haven't really had too many 70 degree days so far this year, and we're already in the mid-80s!

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
It has been raining here for about a month. I am starting to go a little crazy from being locked inside and scooting in the rain. Not to mention that my status as a bronze goddess is quickly diminishing.

Bubba

Cyburbian
It has been raining here for about a month. I am starting to go a little crazy from being locked inside and scooting in the rain.

My officemate (on days when I bother to go into the office) is working out in your little corner of the world this week - she called me Tuesday complaining about the rain - when I pointed out that it was in the 80s and sunny back here in Atlanta the stream of profanities that followed was quite shocking...

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
My officemate (on days when I bother to go into the office) is working out in your little corner of the world this week - she called me Tuesday complaining about the rain - when I pointed out that it was in the 80s and sunny back here in Atlanta the stream of profanities that followed was quite shocking...

Hahaha! Yes, the trade winds are back and they have brought an ample supply of water with them. Tell her to try the leeward coast this weekend. She might find sun drenched beaches over there.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just went out for my afternoon walk around our office campus and I don't care what the thermometer says - it is officially hot out there! It must be the unseasonably cool spring up until this point that is throwing me for a loop.

kms

Cyburbian
There is a slight lull in a thunderstorm right now, and my landlord climbed back onto the roof to finish nailing on shingles. :-c

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
We've had absolutely perfect weather for the last 3 days. Wish I could be out enjoying it -- I've got a big deadline coming up and all I do is work (except when I check in here & on FB ;)).

And of course, over the weekend when I have plans, it's supposed to rain. :-{

btrage

Cyburbian
It's been highs in the 80s the past 2 days (although starting tomorrow we're supposed to go back to highs in the 60s the next week).

Both of my daughters have already complained about not being able to sleep because they're too hot. I politely informed them I did not have A/C as a kid, I was not going to turn the A/C on, go back to bed.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
2 Steps Forward and 1 Step Back

After fast forwarding to summer last week, including 2 record-breaking days in the 90's, we are now heading backwards again. Very SLOW moving showers and thunderstorms and temps only in the low and mid 50's. :not: Chilly and rainy all weekend, with sunshine back of course for Monday. Next week, sunny and cool for May with temps in the 60's to near 70. May have some light frost Monday night, it's freaking mid-May for criss-sakes!! :-{

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
After fast forwarding to summer last week, including 2 record-breaking days in the 90's, we are now heading backwards again. Very SLOW moving showers and thunderstorms and temps only in the low and mid 50's. :not: Chilly and rainy all weekend, with sunshine back of course for Monday. Next week, sunny and cool for May with temps in the 60's to near 70. May have some light frost Monday night, it's freaking mid-May for criss-sakes!! :-{

That was the forecast here as well, though now we are slated for more rain on Monday as well. My lawn is disgustingly long, but there is nothing I can do about it for now. I will be in for a world of hurt when the day comes it's dry enough to mow :-|

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rainy Days

Here in NW Ohio it has been steadily raining for nearly 40 hours. Katie is not happy with the rain.....I told her to view the pics from the flooding in the Mississippi Valley.

Temps are in the low 50s and are expected to remain at levels nearly 20-degrees below normal for the next few days. Now hoping for a nice weekend ahead because Katie and I are going to eastern Ohio to see my youngest grand-daughter and my son's wife (in Ohio from Portland PDX).

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
So, just a few days after we had 90 degree weather, it was in the 50s, cloudy, and windy all weekend. I thought it was ironic because it was graduation this weekend at a lot of colleges in Illinois, and I had similar sh!tty weather for my graduation last year as well.

boiker

Cyburbian
What's this? Mid-May in Phoenix and it has been 75 the last two days?

Yes Please!

It shouldn't be above 95 for the next 10 days. :D By May 30, we can usually count on 100+ until Mid-September.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
70 degrees, and partly sunny. Thunderstorms are expected for tonight.

PE1Xh.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Joplin, MO Tornado

Weather Channel reporting/showing radar image - debris ball

Queen B

Cyburbian
I spent yesterday doing damage assessment in a small KS town hit on Sat evening.
It pretty much destroyed the town. School heavily damaged, elevator destroyed. Post office destroyed. I am not sure the little town will make it with a hit that hard.

Planit

Cyburbian
We had an interesting storm last night about 10:00.

All the sudden the wind picked to almost gale force, then about 5 minutes later it was raining very hard you could see down the street. 15 minutes later it stopped, like someone shut off the spigot. No more wind, no more rain.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
We had an interesting storm last night about 10:00.

All the sudden the wind picked to almost gale force, then about 5 minutes later it was raining very hard you could see down the street. 15 minutes later it stopped, like someone shut off the spigot. No more wind, no more rain.

Sounds like a hurricane, maybe you're in the eye.

Rygor

Cyburbian
70 degrees, and partly sunny. Thunderstorms are expected for tonight.

PE1Xh.jpg
I am now entirely convinced that you can't throw a rock in Ithaca without hitting either a Volvo, Subaru, Prius, or person on a wacky recumbent bike.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been hovering between 60-70 and rain the past week. The skies are perpetually dark and I wish it would rain like crazy and take some of the pollen away.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Joplin. This tornado season is ridiculous. I feel like this is like 2005 was with hurricanes, only this time with tornadoes.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
DFW metro area is taking a pretty good pounding tonight. So far, I'm good with just a little hail and lots of lightning and rain. My son's house caught the big hail for the second month in a row. Lots of tornadic activity but nothing major as far as I can tell. Salmissra is in the mid-cities area, she may have caught more hail than I did. Going to be a long night, it's not over yet.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
DFW metro area is taking a pretty good pounding tonight. So far, I'm good with just a little hail and lots of lightning and rain. My son's house caught the big hail for the second month in a row. Lots of tornadic activity but nothing major as far as I can tell. Salmissra is in the mid-cities area, she may have caught more hail than I did. Going to be a long night, it's not over yet.

TONS of hail, mostly golfball sized and smaller. We didn't get the base-and-softball sized hail like further west did, but coming so quickly it was scary! High winds - you could see the rain going horizontally across the lawn. Our tornado sirens went off, and we prepped our "panic room" - first time! Candles & matches, flashlights, bottled water, granola bars, dog food, dog water dish, blankets & pillows, and we even put on real shoes (instead of just house shoes). Ended up not needing the panic room, but we were close. Two funnel clouds, one of them rain-wrapped, near us.
Round two came through around 10. Pea sized hail, high winds, more rain. But no tornadic activity. Whew.
I think it's time to get the roof checked.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We are in summer mode here. NT temps in the 70's, DT temps in the 90s and humid and it will be that way until October.:-c8-! Sadly, I'm getting used to it now.:-c

Rygor

Cyburbian
It's absolutely pouring out right now. Forecast calls for severe t-storms, with large hail and tornadoes possible. :-c

HomerJ

Cyburbian
There has been outbreak after outbreak of massive storms over the past few days. I have been fortunate enough to not be near any tornado outbreaks, but I get the feeling the won't be the case for too long. Wish I had thought of this when I decided to live on the 2nd floor of townhome apartment that have no basement:-c

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tornado

In the HIGH - 30 % with blue hatch
risk area suggests a major severe weather outbreak is expected, with the expectation of either a concentration of strong tornadoes or an enhanced likelihood of a long-lived wind event (derecho) with the potential of higher end wind gusts (80+ mph) and structural damage

blue hatched area will be overlaid with the severe probabilities. This blue hatched area indicates a 10% or greater probability for significant events occurring within 25 miles of any location in the area. A significant event includes any of the following:

Tornadoes rated EF2 or greater,
Thunderstorm Wind Gusts at 65 kt or higher,
Hail 2 inches or larger in diameter.
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/SPC_probotlk_info.html

HomerJ

Cyburbian
At least 1 Tornado in the KC area. Got to spend most of my lunch hanging out in the basement level with a crowd of people. Reports saying one touched down less than a mile away from where I work. Went home to check on my dog and found that she tore one of my socks to pieces (she never does that). I'm pretty used to this growing up in the midwest, but it seems like OKC, Dallas, and KC get some really crazy storms.

I think it's time to give my insurance company a call. Make sure my car is covered for any crazy $^*t that might happen in one of these storms8-!

Veloise

Cyburbian
Impure Michigan

The latest video parody. Turn the sound down to avoid a couple of F-bombs.

[youtube]NLaVUc3Pzdo[/youtube]

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
On Wednesday, June 1st, yours truly will be officially trained as a Storm Spotter. Whatever that means.

"Yep, that there is a hurricane." "Yep, that there is rain." "Yep, that there is a nasty thunderstorm."

The National Weather Service will thank me for my brilliant reporting and observations.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Summer is here -

Temp - 90+
Humidity - 60 +
Wind - SW 10 mph
Cloud cover - clear -sunny

A/C - running

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Bad storms came through the area yesterday afternoon. My immediate area was largely spared, aside from heavy rain and lightning. It was much worse further south, especially in the Joliet and Kankakee areas. I went to my cousin's graduation party which is a little further south and east from where I am (near O'Hare), and they got hit worse by the storms than we did, as they suffered a power outage before the party and the power remained out throughout the whole party. They had a generator running, to keep their well, a couple lights, and the fridges working, but that was about it. It turned out well though and everyone still managed to have a good time.

Today it's supposed to get into the 90s and we could see more severe weather tomorrow.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I ran 8 miles this morning before work and when I got started at 4:30 a.m. it was already 76º degrees with about 90% humidity. It's supposed to get up to about 90º today (just like yesterday)... maybe my lawn will finally dry up a little bit now.

Planit

Cyburbian
It's hot here and there's one more day until June. Can't believe its so hot here this early. The high was predicted to get to 98 degrees and thats hot. Just checked the offical temperature gauge at the office and its says 96 degrees. Man is it hot. Did I mention how hot it is?

kltoomians

Cyburbian
We just had some hail...some semblance of warmth would be nice. The winter and wintry spring sure have dragged... This is my second snowy winter.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's current'y 93º here and on my way home from work I have to stop at the grocery store. I really want to get some Drumsticks® but I have no roof or doors on my Jeep today which means no air conditioning. I'm afraid that they will all melt before I get home so I guess I better just start eating them on my way home.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's almost 90F here. Making up for that deep freeze of a winter we had.

kltoomians

Cyburbian
"The on-ground snow total at Crater Lake National Park Tuesday morning was 118 inches, the third highest on record since records started being kept in 1931. The average on-ground total for May 31 is 52 inches...So far this season, nearly 670 inches of snow has been measured and more is expected with snowstorms expected to continue this week." 8-!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here in NW Ohio we have been mostly spared from the bad storms and tornadoes that have been so common this season. We have had three separate tornado warnings but no real damage. Some straight-line wind damage in a couple storms, but nothing big. Let's keep it that way, OK?

Bear

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions:

90 °F (32 °C)
A Few Clouds
Humidity: 62 %
Wind Speed: W 12 G 20 MPH
Barometer: 29.98" (1015.4 mb)
Dewpoint: 75 °F (24 °C)
Heat Index: 101 °F (38 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.