• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Here in NW Ohio we have been mostly spared from the bad storms and tornadoes that have been so common this season. We have had three separate tornado warnings but no real damage. Some straight-line wind damage in a couple storms, but nothing big. Let's keep it that way, OK?

Bear

Unfortunately we got it 75 miles northwest of you. Had a tornado touch down just outside the city where I live (a few miles away) and the city I work in got hit hard by straight line winds, declared a state of emergency. It's very sad the devestation, but fortunately there were no casualties.

otterpop

Cyburbian
It is sleeting. Rather hard. June, don't talk to me about June. Can't wait until it is hailing in July. :r:

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Yeah, never thought I'd see a tornado in my neck of the woods. Crazy thing is I would've been driving home through Springfield at exactly when the tornado hit but I banged out of work sick..:-o

Some aerial pictures of the damage:

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/gallery/2011tornado_aerials/#/29

Those photos simply confirm what I said on the architecture and safety thread (about banning balloon frame housing in favor of concrete and masonry) with another set of pix from Springfield: how well your home withstands a tornado is totally dependent upon a combination of the strength and the proximity of the tornado. If your house takes a direct hit, it's probably kindling or driveway pavers no matter what it's made of.

I am surprised that the death toll remains relatively low. We Easterners tend to be really clueless about tornado safety measures. When I lived in the Albany area, my neighbors took cameras and field glasses out into the ballfield in the park across the street "to get a better look" during a tornado warning while I gathered my kids and crits and headed for the basement.

Perhaps the Joplin tornado made many more people aware of what they need to do if the case of a tornado.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Interesting video

The “History of the Incident Meteorologist Program” describes the evolution of fire weather support by National Weather Service meteorologists, including the more recent expansion to other hazardous incidents and significant national events. This webcast also reviews the evolution of the Air-Transportable Meteorological Unit (ATMU) into today’s AMRS/FxNet system used by Incident Meteorologists today.

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_module.php?id=464

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
93+ today here in Ohio. They are saying it could the hottest day all year since we don't get to the 90's all that often.

I dislike this heat. Where in the US is it always 55-70 degrees?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's going to be a scorcher for many of us today. I'm really going to enjoy working in a restaurant today...NOT!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's going to be a scorcher for many of us today. I'm really going to enjoy working in a restaurant today...NOT!

It was in the 90's yesterday and I walked to the order counter at a pizza joint and said to an employee, 'You must have fairly good air conditioning here, it doesn't feel so hot in here'. The guy says 'well, try getting nearer to the oven' and rolls his eyes as he walked away.

Planit

Cyburbian
How are our Arizona and New Mexico Cyburbians doing?

Hope they are not getting scorched!!!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Outflow boundary just came in ahead of a line of severe storms. I could feel the house shake and the power flickered a little. We're supposed to get 70 mph wind gusts with these storms about 45 minutes from now. This mid-90s weather had to break at some point.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions

'A Few Clouds'

89 °F (32 °C)
Humidity: 72 %
Wind Speed: SW 10 MPH
Barometer: 29.93" (1013.7 mb)
Dewpoint: 78 °F (26 °C)
Heat Index: 104 °F (40 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Oh, and we are under a severe thunderstorm warning. It's summer on the Florida panhandle.

johnelsden1

'A Few Clouds'

89 °F (32 °C)
Humidity: 72 %
Wind Speed: SW 10 MPH
Barometer: 29.93" (1013.7 mb)
Dewpoint: 78 °F (26 °C)
Heat Index: 104 °F (40 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Oh, and we are under a severe thunderstorm warning. It's summer on the Florida panhandle.

Wish I were in FL.............100+ here in Texas for two weeks now..........cooling trend toward November...............wicked drought.............

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
That asshole weather reporter in Austin is predicting 8-straight days of 100+ degrees. We've already hit 100+ multiple times and set several new record highs. We are in a severe drought that is on pace to become the drought of record baring a hurricane taking out Corpus Christi in route to central Texas. I have no choice but to project all of my anger and hatred toward him as a convenient scapegoat.

Oh, and it will be windy toward the end of the week, making it feel like a damn blow dryer. :not:

It doesn't help that a friend of mine is posting pictures on facebook of him snowskiing in June in Colorado somewhere.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio

Here in NW Ohio we average about 12 days with above-90F temperatures each summer season. This year we already had 5 straight above-90F days, earlier in June. One of those days the ole' thermo-meter almost nudged the 100F mark. And we are expecting more 90F days next week.

The last week or so has been in the low 70F range, with no (or very little) rain. Really nice weather. Cool mornings (windows open!) and moderate temps. Nice!

Bear

Last edited:

Linda_D

Cyburbian
WNY usually has only 1 or 2 90+ days in a year, and sometimes none. So far, I think we had a couple of near 90 days last week, but generally it's been cool this spring. It's June, and we're struggling to get above 75. It's also been very erratic, too, as two days after the highest temps of the spring, the temps dipped to the 30s in some inland valleys.

We had a doozie of the thunderstorm roll through yesterday evening with lots of jagged lightning bolts and torrential rain. Lightning zapped something in the power grid and put my neighborhood "in the dark" for about 90 minutes. Luckily, the electric came back up about 8:30, so I didn't have to put on the oil lamps. :)

boiker

Cyburbian
There is talk --in the meteorology circles-- that early next week might be hell on earth for the Desert Southwest. The models are hinting at 115-118 next week in Phoenix. 8-!

Rygor

Cyburbian
There is talk --in the meteorology circles-- that early next week might be hell on earth for the Desert Southwest. The models are hinting at 115-118 next week in Phoenix. 8-!
Well, just in time for when I'll be going there!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Severe thunderstorms pounded the Chicagoland area last night, hitting the western, northwestern, and northern suburbs pretty hard. Luckily, my area was far enough west that we were spared the worst of it. But areas to our south and east in Kane, DuPage, Cook, and Lake Counties saw widespread damaging winds of 60-80 mph, lots of lightning, and heavy rain. There are numerous reports of large trees and tree branches being blown down across the area and several power outages. 2 people were seriously injured in Lincolnwood when a tree fell on their car, crushing them. The potential for rain wrapped tornadoes in this squall line and the sighting of many funnel clouds in areas such as Sugar Grove and Naperville prompted a tornado warning for many of these areas last night. So far, no confirmed touchdowns, but the National Weather Service will be conducting damage surveys to find out. As of this morning, 278,000 people were still without power.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
An apparent tornado struck the backside at Churchill Downs - home of the Kentucky Derby - last night. More than 200 horses were running loose after roofs were blown off and barn walls damaged. Some 100 employees that live above the barns at the track during the meet were also displaced, although there are no reports of injuries to men nor beasts. Live racing is canceled today and workers will be checking the track for debris or nails deposited by the storms.

The pop-up storms spawned a reported five other tornadoes as they traveled a nearly straight line east across Harrison Co (Ind) and through Jefferson Co (Ky).

My home is 6 miles as the crow flies n/w of Churchill.:-o

http://www.wave3.com/story/14960564/storm-damage-cancels-churchill-downs-racing

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
'dunkster....glad you and horsies are a-ok.
_____

I was watching the vids from Minot, ND, this morning. Incredible. You have to wonder how many of those folks had flood insurance. It has been over one hundred years since a flood like this in Minot. Incredible.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
[I was watching the vids from Minot, ND, this morning. Incredible. You have to wonder how many of those folks had flood insurance. It has been over one hundred years since a flood like this in Minot. Incredible.

Bear

Only 514.policies according to http://bsa.nfipstat.com/reports/1011.htm#NDT. That number includes residences and businesses.

When compared to the estimate 4,000 homes, not to mentioned how many businesses flooded,

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
Drove home in a hail storm from work last night - by the looks of the radar it'll happen again tonight.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions at 6:00 am. This is going to be a miserable day....good thing we have a pool. :h: :lmao:

83 °F (28 °C)
Humidity: 83 %
Wind Speed: SW 5 MPH
Barometer: 29.98" (1015.4 mb)
Dewpoint: 77 °F (25 °C)
Heat Index: 92 °F (33 °C)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hot & Dry, Baby

This Bear likes all four seasons. I am now ready for cooler temperatures to wiggle into view. After a very wet and cool spring, June and July has been very hot and dry. Toledo usually gets about 12-14 above-90F days.....today will be number 15 and tomorrow will be number 16.....and it is only early July. :-c

Tomorrow's "feel like" temp will be over 100F, with an actual about 95F. Ugh! (And it is back to work.....double ugh!)

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Another definition of uncomfortable - :p

Heat index of 98 w/ ozone alert.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Over 90 today with a Heat Index over 100. That is odd for Ohio... even in July.

Yuk.

(ps. We need a Yuk face... like the green one)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
At Standiford Field:

Time (edt) -- 12:56P
Vsby. -- Few Clouds
Temp.(ºF) -- 93
Dewpt.(ºF) -- 78
Hum.(%)-- 62
Wind(mph)-- S9
Heat Index (ºF) -- 109
Pres.(in) -- 29.93

:-o

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Had some surprise severe thunderstorms move through the Chicago area this morning, right at morning rush hour (around 7:30 - 8:30am). They brought destructive 70 mph winds across large portions of the area. Large stretches of cornfields were flattened across northern Illinois...not sure how much that will affect this year's corn crop, but I'm sure it will have some impact. Elsewhere, the northern, northwestern, and western suburbs of Chicago took the brunt of the storm. Trees were blown down or branches were blown down throughout the area. My area was ground zero of the "bow echo", and we had strong sustained winds of 70mph for several minutes. It was garbage day, so garbage was strewn everywhere and the ground is also littered with tree branches and whatnot. This morning, more than 600,000 customers were without power and 100 flights were canceled at O'Hare. There were also some injuries, mainly people who were outside or had trees fall on their cars. But the weather has bounced back and it is now bright and sunny.

The little bit of rain was nice though...it was starting to get dry and the grass was starting to turn brown.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
:wall:DT temps-upper 90s with decent humidity, NT temps mid 70s. Rinse and repeat for the next 2 months.:-c:not::r: Btw, this started 2 months ago.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Had some surprise severe thunderstorms move through the Chicago area this morning, right at morning rush hour (around 7:30 - 8:30am). They brought destructive 70 mph winds across large portions of the area. Large stretches of cornfields were flattened across northern Illinois...not sure how much that will affect this year's corn crop, but I'm sure it will have some impact. Elsewhere, the northern, northwestern, and western suburbs of Chicago took the brunt of the storm. Trees were blown down or branches were blown down throughout the area. My area was ground zero of the "bow echo", and we had strong sustained winds of 70mph for several minutes. It was garbage day, so garbage was strewn everywhere and the ground is also littered with tree branches and whatnot. This morning, more than 600,000 customers were without power and 100 flights were canceled at O'Hare. There were also some injuries, mainly people who were outside or had trees fall on their cars. But the weather has bounced back and it is now bright and sunny.

The little bit of rain was nice though...it was starting to get dry and the grass was starting to turn brown.

Who would've thought that I move to Kansas City and the summer storms have actually been milder than Chicago's?

I was expecting to see a tornado here every other day! Then again, I was also expecting to see a tumble weed in between each tornado day, the things I have learned...

boiker

Cyburbian
Thanks to early morning thunderstorms, we have a humid sub-100 degree day thus far in Phoenix. Only 96 as of 3PM-- Heat Index is around 100.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Folks in Western NY are whining because of the "heat and humidity" yesterday and today: temps in the mid/upper 80s and dewpoints in the 60s. We've also had less than a quarter of an inch of rain so far in July. Compared to what much of the rest of the country is experiencing, though, we really don't have much to complain about, especially since tomorrow the temps are going to be in the lower 70s.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We got rain and some strong storms last night. I am glad for the rain, but now it is 90 and sticky. I like Fall.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian

Planit

Cyburbian
4:25 pm
Temp: 96 degrees
Heat Index: 103 degrees
Wind: 2 mph (nonexistent)
Humidity: 63%

Just thought y'all should know that its darn hot here where we're at!

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Apparently the derecho that hit the Chicago area yesterday was pretty historic. 860,000 people lost power, which may have been the largest such recorded outage in ComEd (Northern Illinois' electricity provider) history. If not that, then it was at least the largest since 1998. About half those customers are still without power.

http://www.suntimes.com/6455127-417/storm-was-largest-ever-for-comed-with-817000-losing-power.html

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8245290

Still have my power. I guess I've always been lucky that I've never experienced a long-term power outage where I've lived.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Temp: 99
Heat index: 110

Its sooo hot, I'm dreading getting into my car, even though I have sun shades.