• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Dallas

100°
Scattered Clouds
Wind: South 15 mph
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 66
Visibility: 10.0 mile
Barometer: 29.88
Heatindex: 104

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's been in the upper 80s for the past few days and Thursday the wife and I are headed to Seattle for a few days. I was looking at the weather report out there and it's only supposed to be in the upper 60s or lower 70s each day. It will be a nice change of pace to not be spending my time outside in scorching heat and high humidity.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Here in FL, we usually have big thunderstorms almost every afternoon in the summer.

Weirdly, this week, they've been showing up early in the morning.

Well, at least we're getting a little rain.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Unseasonably hot and humid.

screenshot20110718at543.png

eCTEH.jpg

3MFD7.jpg

aXt09.jpg

51mPT.jpg

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Epic thunderstorm last night. Completely freaked out a cat that is otherwise seriously laid back. Lots of new moisture to add to the humidity now. Fall can't come soon enough ... :)

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
In the middle of a heat wave in the Upper Midwest. Yesterday, I think it got up to about 96. Today, similar forecast...highs in the upper 90s, but probably could push 100 in some areas. Heat indicies forecast to top 110. Excessive Heat Warning until Friday morning.

This morning, at 10:00am, it was 90 degrees already, with a heat index of 101.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Well, the massive Heat Wave of 2011 has hit WNY.

It was 76 at 6 AM this morning in Jamestown with a forecast temp of 94-96 but with the heat index topping 100 degrees. The National Weather Service has issued a heat warning for this afternoon, beginning at noon. One of the local churches has opened its hall as a cooling center.

This may all sound pretty whiney to those of you living further west and south who have been suffering longer and with higher temps than this, but here in WNY most people don't have central air conditioning. In fact, a whole lot of people don't even have room A/Cs because we generally don't need it. Because of Lake Erie and our hilly terrain, we have "natural air conditioning" from moderate temps and cooling breezes, so when a heat wave like the current one hits us, we're not really "ready" for it, mentally or physically.

I have ceiling fans in all my rooms downstairs, and while I have central air (I got it when I got a new furnace eight years ago), there have been several summers when I haven't used it at all. Not once. Last year I used it for two days. I'm already on Day Three this year.

Oh, yeah. I'm on vacation this week. I was going to go with a friend to visit the Frank Lloyd Wright masterpiece, Fallingwater, in the Laurel Highlands east of Pittsburgh, but we decided that was not a good idea after looking at the long range weather forecast. Then we decided on a day trip to Sonnenberg Gardens and some Finger Lakes wineries ... and decided to postpone that as well when temps soared outta sight this week. It's too hot to even drive to Erie or Buffalo to shop or visit friends and family. Going out to my camp in Gowanda is out of the question, too. It's hotter there! Just what I wanted to do on my summer vacation: stay inside and watch tv, surf the web or play computer games. :(

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Don't mean to sound hard hearted, but y'alls brief spurt of heat and humidity is my norm from late May to mid September.:-c:not:

wahday

Cyburbian
It rained last night. RAIN! I had forgotten what that was like. We haven't had any since January, so my entire neighboirhood was out with hands outstretched to the sky. I went for a run and got soaked. It was great...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
That's why I could never live in the South even though it would be great to have milder winters.

FWIW, the temps don't vary much-pretty much DTTs 90s, NTTs 70s, so that makes it easier. The temp swings is what gets most people. Fall/Winter/Spring (our non summer season) are more a damp cold instead of a dry cold up North. Just remember keep hydrated, drink plenty of fluids, then pee like a racehorse

Planit

Cyburbian
The temp gauge in the car read 100 and the bank sign said the temp was 98.

I'm just calling it officially HOT!

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Don't mean to sound hard hearted, but y'alls brief spurt of heat and humidity is my norm from late May to mid September.:-c:not:

And ours in Central/South Texas from early April through mid-October. Temperatures in the mid-90's are considered "pleasant" here. Only as it approaches and surpasses/or triple digits do people here start to complain about the heat.

Linda_D

Cyburbian

Nine feet of snow (100+ inches) in 4 days would even be a lot for the WNY's lake effect snow belts where they usually get 200 inches during the winter. Several years ago parts of South Buffalo and Lackawanna got 7 feet in just a couple of days.

BTW, today is much better than yesterday, although hardly comfortable. There aren't even any heat advisories/warnings today.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Heh... i feel for most of my cyburbians... our weather pattern has fallen into typical summer pattern.. It has been like this for 2 weeks now:

2lbjllg.png

:p

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Yesterday was the first time I'd ever seen the temp gauge in my car read 100. Yowza!

It's a bit cooler today - there's a breeze at least - but I still need to crank the AC.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It rained last night!!! That's the first significant rain (about .5 inch) we've had since the Fourth of July weekend, which was only good for the farmers getting their hay cut and baled.

I guess I'll have to mow lawn in the next couple of days. :(

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
A friend of mine's descriptive about the heat wave: It's official...we are living in Satan's jockstrap.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rain, thunder, lightning, and hail.

BESJo.jpg

It's GA-WAH-DUH punishing us for SSM!

Planit

Cyburbian
I hear tell you people in the lower plains states and texas might be hitting the suana to cool off today.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Haven't hit the hottest part of the day yet...

Current Dallas Conditions

106°
Wind: NNE 5 mph
Humidity: 21%
Dew Point: 59
Barometer: 29.91
Heatindex: 106

Queen B

Cyburbian
We are in the 28th day of three digit heat.
I gave up watering, just cant afford it. What storms there have been have circled around us.
Current temp 108 heat index feel like 104, now that doesnt happen to often...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions on the panhandle:

Fair
89 °F (32 °C)
Humidity: 79 %
Wind Speed: SW 13 MPH
Barometer: 29.87" (1011.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 82 °F (28 °C)
Heat Index: 109 °F (43 °C) :-c

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It's been pretty hot the past few days with temps in the 90s. Got cooled off by a nice thunderstorm that came through this evening.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
33 Days over 100 and counting, It's getting old...

Current:

106°
Wind: North 0 mph
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 61
Barometer: 29.79
Heatindex: 108

Forecast:

m9lp1c.jpg

Richmond Jake

Last Update on Aug 3, 7:55 pm CDT

Fair
87 °F (30 °C)
Humidity: 82 %
Wind Speed: SW 5 MPH
Barometer: 29.85" (1010.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 80 °F (27 °C)
Heat Index: 104 °F (40 °C)

And more of the same tomorrow....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yeah, it's looking really nasty around here, too.

eQhBC.png

Looks like I might have to turn on the AC for an hour or so on Friday to air out the house.

Seen online:

CPdzH.jpg

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
You may remember this picture from back in May.
swwb52.jpg

Here's what it looks like after 37 straight days of 100+ degree weather and no rain for longer than that.
h0m.jpg

It's down about 4 feet with a major algae bloom.

Richmond Jake

ofos, the glass is half full. All ya'll still got whiskey and ice, right?

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Today was absolutely gorgeous with highs in the mid 70s and a nice breeze. The 7-day forecast calls for much of the same...highs in the 70s and mostly nice weather. After excessive heat and humidity most of the summer, this is definitely a nice treat. I hope it continues for the rest of August and into September...wouldn't that be nice? We can all hope...right?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
We had some rain on Saturday morning. It was the first since June 21st. Only a tenth of an inch but it was rain.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was about 70º when I was out running at 4:45 a.m. today and it's only risen a few degrees since then. I love this type of weather and during my mid-morning walk around our municipal complex it felt like fall outside... there were even a bunch of leaves blowing across the path. Unfortunately, I know that will still get a bunch more days in the upper 80s with humidity to match.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It rained a lot yesterday but I am happy with the relief of the hot weather. There were many roads that were flooded out though this morning.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have been cold the last three days in the morning. That is odd.

We just had our first day under 80 degrees last weekend since early June.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A cold front moved in a couple days ago and the temps dropped below 60 (hey it was 59 but that still qualifies) for the first time in months.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It rained a lot yesterday but I am happy with the relief of the hot weather. There were many roads that were flooded out though this morning.

The final 24 hour tally in my fair township was 4.25" of rain :-c More rain in the forecast....

Richmond Jake

I was enjoying a margarita beside the pool about five minutes before this started... :-@

DSC02375_2_.jpg

0_2_.jpg

Pool is full....

Richmond Jake

^^ I could repost these images from yesterday...same weather pattern thing this afternoon. :not:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We were away from the house on Saturday when some storms came through but where we were they weren't all that bad so when I got home, besides a couple very small branches in the front yard, I didn't think anything of it.

Well, Sunday morning I decided to go for a walk and as soon as I got about a block further south I could hear the hum of generators running at people's houses and then saw a bunch of very large trees down. One house had quite a large one through their roof. I walked up and down a bunch of the north/south streets in the neighborhood and each had trees down at about the same spot so there must have been some good straight line winds that came through the area. And judging by the hum of the generators that I could hear while out on my run this morning, there are still quite a few people without power.

Had the winds been about 500 yards north, it could have been my house with a tree through the roof. Maybe this will motivate me to get somebody out to remove the dead pine tree in my backyard this fall!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Hurricane Irene -
today's 5 day forecasted path is looking bad for Florida.
BUT as always subject to change.