• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

BKM

Cyburbian
98 degrees and blazing sun on Tuesday.

65 degrees and periods of drizzle today.

Amazingly weird weather

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
92 degrees tommorrow and 95 degrees on Sunday...whhhooooohhhooooo cannot WAIT to get out on the boat and out to the pool!!! Work on my tan, work on my buzz and not think about any other work :-D

one more hour....the countdown begins :-D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Saturday morning and a long Memorial Day weekend kicks off. Temperatures in NW Ohio today are expected to be about 80F. Sunday and Monday, near 90F.

I love the change of the seasons that come with living in the Great Lakes region of this wonderful world. But I gotta tell you.....I get tired of hot and humid weather a lot faster than I get tired of cold and snowy Winter weather.

I was outside doing some yard work this morning and the sweat was just pouring off me.....and it is only 80F. :-c

I gotta get my boat motor running and head for the lake. :-D

Bear

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ughhh why isn't it raining here? It's been cloudy for days and with some very threating clouds (you know those dark ones that are loaded with water) and yet all we've had is a few drops and a little drizzle and light rain.... heck yesterday a big black cloud layer was litteraly stuck at the mountains... and that's kindda the textbook scenario for rain and.... nothing... at least I hope that the mountains are getting some snow...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
A heavy rain is falling on the panhandle at this time (80 F) and we really need it--several forest fires in the area. And it reminds me that I need to get up there and clean those gutters.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Just a little under a year ago I posted a thread about it being stifling hot and dry and that the drought had gotten so bad in Northern Illinois that complete bans on outside water usage were put into place.

Well going into this summer, we're above average in rainfall, officially out of any kind of drought, and this past weekend it seemed like it poured buckets in the form of scattered thunderstorms every afternoon. It felt like the jungle. On Tuesday, we were actually under a Flash Flood Warning and I had to set my wipers to its highest setting. The mosquitoes have been pretty bad as well.

On Wednesday, the property maintainence inspectors/code enforcers at my work went out and said that just about everyone could receive a ticket for their grass being too long. Even though most of them just cut it just 3-5 days prior.

Finally some relief as it is no longer 90 and it finally stopped raining for a day.

cololi

Cyburbian
Last weekend it snowed on the upper benches of the SL Valley (how about 11 inches at Snowbird, which closed Monday for the season), tomorrow it will be 90+. Welcome to spring/early summer in northern UT.

Richmond Jake

After saying we didn't get much rain from TS Alberto, it just started. A nice heavy down pour. Might be a nice time evening to sit in the hot tub.... ;-)

EDIT: No hot tub. Went outside to pee. Big thunderstorm. Lots of flashing lights in the sky and noise. Had to use the mens room.

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well last week we did have rain here.... but now after the storm comes the calm, and with that smog crisisies... and adding to that the dust, that comes from the mud left after the rains makes it even worse... Hooray for ICAP 200+....

BKM

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
102 degrees (39 deg. C) right now.
Gonna be a hot night. :-@ :-o

Yucko. We actually had a quite cool June, so far. I needed a windbreaker for the little hike I did with my dogs last night.

My older dog, Max, is getting creaky and heavily favors (limps) one leg. He is 12, so I guess it's to be expected. :-c I don't want to stop taking him along, because it's the highlight of his life, and stopping the exercise would make the arthritis worse. I've got him on "Senior" food, but glucosamine has not been conclusively prven to do much, so...

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Weather here in NW Ohio has been great. Mid-70's F with blue skies. People with pools have been complaining. Not me.....love this weather!

By the weekend, though.....at or near 90F. Very seldom does the Valley of The Maumee get "dry heat". Humidity will creep into the picture, too.

Hey, BKM.....when the ground stops shaking you can lay back and remember your days in the "Valley"......and those other two cricks that formed the "little muddy". ;-)

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Auntie 'Em! Aunti 'Em!

Here in my little corner of the world, SE Michigan and NW Ohio, there are tornadoes all over the place. Hillsdale County, Lenawee County, City of Adrian. The weather map as of Wed 6:20 PM is filled with red and circles all over the place where the radar is picking up circulation. Reports are coming in from Adrian that twisters have touched down.

More on the Ohio-Indiana line, heading this way.

If I fly past you Cyburbians on the east coast, stick up a broom handle or something for me to grab. Can I crash at your place? ;)

Seriously.....pretty mean storms out there.

Pay No Attention To The Bear Behind The Curtain

BKM

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Here in my little corner of the world, SE Michigan and NW Ohio, there are tornadoes all over the place. Hillsdale County, Lenawee County, City of Adrian. The weather map as of Wed 6:20 PM is filled with red and circles all over the place where the radar is picking up circulation. Reports are coming in from Adrian that twisters have touched down.

More on the Ohio-Indiana line, heading this way.

If I fly past you Cyburbians on the east coast, stick up a broom handle or something for me to grab. Can I crash at your place? ;)

Seriously.....pretty mean storms out there.

Pay No Attention To The Bear Behind The Curtain

Pthhhp.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/95688?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_undeclared

105. 105 106 106

Then we cool down to a chilly 96 on Tuesday. Bleh. :-@

BKM

Cyburbian
kjelsadek said:
Pretty much the same in Upstate SC.....today was 98, then it's supposed to be 96, 97, 95. Miserable humidity and overnight lows in the mid 70's. The electric bill is going to be a killer.

Well....at 6:wow:o p.m., the humidity was reported at....wait for it...11%, so :p

Of course, you guys don't have entire suburban neighborhoods go up in flames, either. My sister lives in firetrap central :-c

Queen B

Cyburbian
They are saying that it rained 3 1/4 inches last night. If there was still wheat in the field, they won't get it now.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's 10:45 AM....89 already with 47% humidity....yuck! The high is supposed to be 96.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
So, Toledo makes the news again......sigh.....:(

Last night the area experienced tornado sightings, wind damage, floods everywhere, major buildings with flooded lobbys, golf ball sized hail, and about 6 to 8 inches of rain in about 5 hours. (Amounts varied depending on your location.)

Lots of roads closed, some businesses going over damage reports with insurance adjusters.....WTF, did we have a Florida Hurricane? What was the storm's name?

I know the answer.....remember the scene in "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles" where Steve Martin is covered with dirt and soaking wet and standing at an airline ticket counter talking to the ticket person? Remember what she said to him?

That's the name of our storm. ;)

Bear With Squeegie

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yikes! It's 99 degrees and 27% humidity at my house at the moment and it's not even the peak heat hour. At the moment it's matching the high on record and will probably exceed it.

Where I work an hour away is 97 and 43% humidity :-(

Hceux

Cyburbian
Here in Toronto, it's hot here. When I stepped out of the door at a few minutes before 10am, I was taken aback by the heat that smacked into my body.

Now at the end of the afternoon, I don't even want to go out to experience the heat and the humidity.

It's 29C, feeling like 37C here. Ick.

Thanks goodness for my a/c'd apt. :)

Edit: That's 84F and 99F, for those of you who are familiar with F instead of C.

zman

Cyburbian
70 something, cloudy and grey today in Northern Colorado.
Perfect weather for this planner. But it is making me sleepy.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, I had to go to Oakland today to drop off a big grant application package. So, I popped over the bridge to San Francisco. It was still warm there (maybe 80 or so), and San Francisco can be...unpleasant when warm. But then I looked down the street to the west, and the blessed, holy, sacred beauitiful, glorious puffy white sheets of fog were rolling over the Twin Peaks hills. The sea breeze kicked up, and I actually started commenting to strangers on the street about how lovely the fog was. I was in no hurry to leave the city, and Noe Valley is a lovely neighborhood to stroll in the evening. 6 magic numbers and I'm there! :p

The temperature differential was at least thirty degrees. Comcast claims we got to 116 in Vacaville, which is an exaggeration (weather.com reports 103) but at 11:30 p.m., it's still 86 degrees out. Verus 58 in San Francisco :-c

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
BKM said:
But then I looked down the street to the west, and the blessed, holy, sacred beauitiful, glorious puffy white sheets of fog were rolling over the Twin Peaks hills. The sea breeze kicked up, and I actually started commenting to strangers on the street about how lovely the fog was. I was in no hurry to leave the city, and Noe Valley is a lovely neighborhood to stroll in the evening. 6 magic numbers and I'm there! :p

I love San Francisco anytime, but especially when it is foggy. Just something magical about it especially when you get to watch the fog actually roll in. I think for me it's because the first time I visited SF it was shrouded in fog and we explored much of the city on foot so you couldn't see very far and were surprised at every turn discovering something new.

AugieDog

Cyburbian
Paradise

Just to make you guys jealous, I thought I'd let you know it's supposed to be about 75 degrees and sunny today and San Diego. No humidity either! My office is walking distance to the beach. What great scenery this time of year!

nerudite

Cyburbian
AugieDog said:
Just to make you guys jealous, I thought I'd let you know it's supposed to be about 75 degrees and sunny today and San Diego. No humidity either! My office is walking distance to the beach. What great scenery this time of year!
that's just like here today (sans beach, of course!) Beautiful day... nice breeze. Tomorrow will be a scorcher... it's going to be above 80! C'mon thunderstorms (just no hail)!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
nerudite said:
that's just like here today (sans beach, of course!) Beautiful day... nice breeze. Tomorrow will be a scorcher... it's going to be above 80! C'mon thunderstorms (just no hail)!

80C.....wow, that's really hot. (Looks like ya can't take the California planner into the Canuckistanigan wilderness without still hanging on to ole' Mr. Farenheit. ;) )

Freddy Bear

biscuit

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Well, I had to go to Oakland today to drop off a big grant application package. So, I popped over the bridge to San Francisco. It was still warm there (maybe 80 or so), and San Francisco can be...unpleasant when warm. But then I looked down the street to the west, and the blessed, holy, sacred beauitiful, glorious puffy white sheets of fog were rolling over the Twin Peaks hills. The sea breeze kicked up, and I actually started commenting to strangers on the street about how lovely the fog was. I was in no hurry to leave the city, and Noe Valley is a lovely neighborhood to stroll in the evening. 6 magic numbers and I'm there! :p

The temperature differential was at least thirty degrees. Comcast claims we got to 116 in Vacaville, which is an exaggeration (weather.com reports 103) but at 11:30 p.m., it's still 86 degrees out. Verus 58 in San Francisco :-c
As Mark Twain said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." I love Northern California but the Central Valley in summer... Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Here in PA Mother Nature has been very temperamental. 72 (C) and dry one week, 90 (C) and raining the next. Honestly, the weather here is just funky sometimes

Richmond Jake

Sticky in my neck of the woods this morning. 82 degrees, feels like 91 degrees because the humidity is 85 percent!

Edit: But the best news is: "There are no tropical cyclones at this time" according to the NHC.

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
Overcast and much cooler, thankfully. Still, much cooler in "The Valley" is that it only got to 92 yesterday. :-c I'll take that, though, over 108.

I actually went for a bike ride yesterday evening and it was pleasant, not soul suckingly hot. Of course, given my "Angry at God Atheism" (tm, jordanb), maybe as the oh so loving "Church" sign puts it in Fairfield: "You think this weather is hot.?" :p

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's been in the low-90s here the past few days (low-30s)... ugh, it's brutal. I want a thunderstorm soon to cool it off.

Budgie

Cyburbian
We had a nice cloud burst last night. I was on the porch enjoying the mild temperatures, the "ran is coming" smell and the drug transactions going on across the street.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It’s the mid 80’s right now and has been sunny all day, until about 5 minutes ago. We have a short but violent storm rolling in at the moment.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Summer in Montana - sunny and wonderful. It is 68 degrees right now and going into the 90s in the afternoon. Feels hotter because so few places have air conditioning here. But this is the four or five weeks when my wife doesn't complain about the weather.

zman

Cyburbian
No storms, little rain (all of it seems to build up over us and rain on Budgie), but it has finally been "normal" round here. Meaning lot so fsun and about 84 degrees, which is as hot as I want it.
I still have to contend with July and August, and it is supposed to get hotter soon, but just gotta roll with it, you know?

:h:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
A series of thunderstorms rolled through central FL yesterday, and over 16,000 lightning strikes were recorded! :-o :-c

Several homes were hit by lightning, including a 10,000 s.f. home that was under construction but almost completed.

Guess the rainy season is really here....

Richmond Jake

Looks like a good day to hit the beach. Forecast high is 95 degrees, mostly sunny, Gulf water 87 degrees, 20% chance of showers, and 100% chance of sipping on margaritas on the white sand.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
60% chance of thunderstorm activity in central FL, which could impact the shuttle launch. Tourism officials on the coast were expecting 300,000 people to watch. When I am at home, I can walk outside the office or my house and see all the launches. But, since I'm in the panhandle for the weekend, I'll have to watch it on t.v.

Hceux

Cyburbian
On a Sunday morning, at 10:30am, it's 28C (82F), feeling like 36C (97F). Later today, between 3 and 5pm, it'll be up to 35C (95F), feeling like 43C (109F).

I think this is going to be the hottest day of the year. Ick.

Gotta find some water...

nerudite

Cyburbian
savemattoon said:
Hotter than two rats f'n in a wool sock:-c
It's going to be a gorgeous 72F/22C here today. My favourite temperature! Too bad I'll be inside scraping wallpaper off of my bathroom walls :(

donk

Cyburbian
It is so hot here, I am sitting by a fan in my underwear, trying to keep from melting. (TMI I know, but had to share) Can't even go hide by the lake as there is a power boat race today and it is really noisy there.

I really like the rats in a sock comment.

I wish there was a 7-11 near my house so I could get a gallon sized slurppy.

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
I wish there was a 7-11 near my house so I could get a gallon sized slurppy.
[OT]Do you have a Mac's out there? The frosters there are way better than slurpees. Mmmmm.. pepsi froster. Wish I could eat sugar![/ot]

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
[OT]Do you have a Mac's out there? The frosters there are way better than slurpees. Mmmmm.. pepsi froster. Wish I could eat sugar![/ot]

In my neighbourhood it is all independent cornerstores, who don't have slush machines.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The weather turned bad today. Only got a couple hours of sun, and thunderstorms rolled in. No rain, but all overcast. Good thing we spent the day at RJ's pool yesterday.

Margaritas, yum....:)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Oh around here it's just rain and more rain... but that's fine since it's winter... I just hope that it doesn't rain too much in Central Chile since I was lucky enough to pass that area on Tuesday night at the time the bridges were getting cut... so my usual 11 hour bus trip from Santiago to Valdivia lasted 15 hours...(4 hours stuck at a traffic jam due to a fallen bridge) So if this continues the temporary bridges that are replacing those that fell will probably fail and I'm not interested in being isolated from the rest of the country, or having problems going back to Santiago.

natski

Cyburbian
We had two great days of rain here- but back to sunny days.

We still need heaps more rain to break our drought, but we need get a good soaking (thanks Skel for sending it :p )

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
savemattoon said:
Hotter than two rats f'n in a wool sock:-c

Yep, we're in the midst of a heat wave here in the Midwest. Yesterday, I believe it hit 100, and today about 95. Tomorrow, it's expected to be 96. The rest of the week the temperature is supposed to hover around the 90 degree mark, with thunderstorms possible on Tuesday or Wednesday.

But hey, it IS the middle of July.