• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Hurricane Irene -
today's 5 day forecasted path is looking bad for Florida.
BUT as always subject to change.

The projected path as of 11 a.m. puts us just outside the cone of uncertainty (what a funny term...) but we'll still be picking up some extra bottled water and I'll be inventorying batteries today.

If it shifts back our way, I'm sure we'll be stocking up on extra wine, too. :D

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Latest forecast has Irene hitting the Myrtle Beach/Wilmington area as a major hurricane on Saturday evening. It's times like these that makes me glad I didn't end up getting a job down there. But I do have some friends in that general area and I know we have some Cyburbians in the NC area as well. Hope everyone battens down the hatches and gets out of harm's way.

I know it's still 5 days out and a lot can change still, but it's probably going to make a big impact somewhere along the East Coast, so everyone should closely monitor this storm.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Looks my trip to the midwest to see family is well timed this weekend. Hoping she turns out to sea for my coastal friends on the eastern seaboard!

Planit

Cyburbian
I just got a phone call from some NC coast friends. Seems they have decided to spend this weekend in the foothills for some reason. Looks like we're havin' company (and that's a good thing).

Linda_D

Cyburbian
The projected path as of 11 a.m. puts us just outside the cone of uncertainty (what a funny term...) but we'll still be picking up some extra bottled water and I'll be inventorying batteries today.

If it shifts back our way, I'm sure we'll be stocking up on extra wine, too. :D

Latest forecast has Irene hitting the Myrtle Beach/Wilmington area as a major hurricane on Saturday evening. It's times like these that makes me glad I didn't end up getting a job down there. But I do have some friends in that general area and I know we have some Cyburbians in the NC area as well. Hope everyone battens down the hatches and gets out of harm's way.

I know it's still 5 days out and a lot can change still, but it's probably going to make a big impact somewhere along the East Coast, so everyone should closely monitor this storm.

The scary part is that the two models that look primarily at the factors of the storms themselves, have Irene going further west than the more general storm models. Time to get the storm shutters up and batteries, bottled water, extra food, etc stockpiled in some parts of the coastal SE.

One of the interesting preparedness tips on the Weather Channel yesterday was that you should get a battery powered cell-phone charger so you'll be able to charge your cell phone if the power goes out for an extended period of time.

Something that I've found very useful in power outages is having a plug-in flashlight that charges/recharges on house current. Because it's plugged in, it's always charged when the power goes out.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I would say RJ and I are worried about any Cybs in Irene's path, but RJ really has no clue about hurricanes. The SE thunderstorms still freak him out. He's gonna come undone by his first big hurricane; well,who wouldn't? I would have the same reaction to an earthquake,which is his norm.

Anyway, been thru dozens, glad to weigh in on preparedness issues since the fed and state people don't address a lot of the real issues.

Duct tape, Rubbermaid storage containers, zip-lock bags, and a roll of plastic sheeting will be your best friends.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Anything I should bring? Oil? Handcuffs?

Wow. :-o Keep it G, folks.

-----

On a more serious note, the latest forecast has Irene brushing the Outer Banks as a Cat 3 or Cat 4 hurricane on Saturday and hitting New England as a Cat 1 or Cat 2 hurricane on Sunday night. Looks like everyone on the East Coast needs to stay alert.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Can't wait to be away for Hurricane Hysteria for a long weekend...I swear, hurricanes are mostly psychological, messing with people in it's 'cone of uncertainty'. After an rare earthquake and potential hurricane...I'm ready for an east coast escape.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
ip hasn't been out of college that long ofos. I guess the younger set in chicagoland used those things differently.:D

No, it's not the younger set you have to watch out for. It's those crazy Baby Boomers, what with their sexual revolution and all. :-c;)

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
No, it's not the younger set you have to watch out for. It's those crazy Baby Boomers, what with their sexual revolution and all. :-c;)

[OT]Do your parents know you talk about them like that?:D[/OT]

I love the first hurricane of the season, it's like the first snow storm of the year in Dallas. 24/7 coverage, dire predictions, high probability that all the forecasts are wrong.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
What were you thinking? I meant oil for emergency lighting and handcuffs for restraining looters. Jeez, the things people read into innocent statements. ;)

I'm kind of hurt that you fibbed to the kids about the oil and the handcuffs.:lmao: Shouldn't they know the truth?

Tide

Cyburbian
Tide .... Out.

Getting too close for comfort, heading south of Irene in the morning.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Tide .... Out.

Be safe. Keep us updated.

----------------------------------

We had some pretty strong storms last night... all I worry about is the kids waking up these days...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Tide .... Out.

Hope things go well in the other Jacksonville. I still have a lot of friends in the area and I know many of them decided to take some extra time off and leave the region as well. I was down there for Hurricane Floyd (among others) and while the storm itself didn't do much damage to the area, all the rivers outside of town were completely flooded for quite a while cutting off access to the area for a few days longer than necessary. As somebody who had to work through the storm in a Operations Center on the base, I was particularly peeved since that meant it took longer for my relief to be able to return to their homes and come back to work! :r: Oh well, a good supply of MRE's and a fridge full of beer in the office got us through!

-------------------

We had some storms come through last night that gave us the biggest hail I've ever seen - they were maybe the size of a quarter. Probably not that large by some standards, but still pretty impressive.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I'm kind of hurt that you fibbed to the kids about the oil and the handcuffs.:lmao: Shouldn't they know the truth?
[OT]They can't handle the truth.[/OT]

Hang in there east coasters, looks like the Carolinas to the NE might get hammered.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm out in a while too. This storm is scary... I'm heading back to earthquake country for a few days.

They're not making you stay for disaster recovery?

Batten down the hatches. Drive west on I-40 if you need to. We'll leave the light on.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm wishing RJ could take tomorrow off so I could drag him over to the east (FL) coast to see what Irene's up to. Also to see all the idiot surfers who will likely be out in droves.:r:

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Not hearing hurricane party bandied about so much since Katrina. Could it be that people have figured that the damn things are dangerous?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Had a brief but very heavy thunderstorm this morning on my way into work. Nice to know my wipers still work! It's only been . . . 4 months? since I've had to use them.

The rain started after I'd left the house. If I'd known that my fellow commuters had forgotten how to drive in the rain, I would have left earlier!!:-{

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
Not hearing hurricane party bandied about so much since Katrina. Could it be that people have figured that the damn things are dangerous?

I'd like to think that is the case, but given that the track of this one includes areas which typically do not see hurricanes, or many of them, I think our hopes may be too high. I'm already seeing a lot of my friends in the CT/Boston area seemingly excited.

I saw this info though which I find pretty interesting to read:

Going back to 1851, there have been only 5 hurricanes whose centers of circulation have passed within 75 miles of New York City. The last hurricane within that distance from New York City was Hurricane Gloria 26 years ago. Similarly, only 10 hurricanes since 1851 have passed within 75 miles of Boston. The most recent was almost exactly 20 years ago: Hurricane Bob. The danger with Hurricane Irene is that it could still be at least a Category 2 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson wind scale, if not a rare Category 3 near the Northeast seaboard!

I recall two in my time in CT, Gloria and Bob.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
I just have this bad feeling about this Hurricane--its going to be alot worse because its going to hit places that rarely see this type of weather. We will be getting some bad weather because it will be a cat 3 in NC, but not anything like the coast. Praying for the tens of millions in the path of this storm...its going to be a rough weekend.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Scary situation -
New Moon High Tide is around 8 am sunday morning plus the the storm surge of Hurricane Irene.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
If you folks on the eastern seaboard hear that Jim Cantore and his Weather Channel staff are in your town, you better be long gone. :-c

Be smart, be safe, and good luck. All ya'll are in our thoughts.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Jim's still in NYC. Mike must be down in NC. I don't know, if I saw Jim Cantore filming in my area and all lit up for the camera, I'd just have to sneak in and grab his butt. Just cuz.

Who ever thought meteorologists would be hot?:-o

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
So Jim's in NY on some waterfront and talking about how NYers are going to take Irene seriously; and behind him kids are skateboarding and then a couple skanks walk by him. Yeah, they're taking it seriously...:r: Like if we had Irene down here and all the meth-heads and rednecks were planning hurricane parties.

Stupid is as stupid does.

I would have edited my previous post but I guess too much time lapsed, so sorry for the double post.

I don't know why the media tries to terrify people who probably have no clue what to do. Just let them die in peace. Some people will never get it. Sorry, all over the sensational news coverage.

Last edited:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
[OT]
Who ever thought meteorologists would be hot?:-o

Meterologists are very hot. I'd fool around with Stephanie Abrams if I had the chance. I think the Weather Channel girls should make a swimsuit calendar or something.[/OT]

On a more serious note, I send my thoughts and prayers to the people on the East Coast. It seems the folks in the Outer Banks of NC are used to this sort of thing. But the people up in NJ and NY, where there are like 25 million people...yeah, very concerning. The expected flooding rains are bad enough. Throw in storm surges, power outages, strong winds, and mass evacuations and/or displacement, and it doesn't look good at all. :-c

Tide

Cyburbian
On a more serious note, I send my thoughts and prayers to the people on the East Coast. It seems the folks in the Outer Banks of NC are used to this sort of thing. But the people up in NJ and NY, where there are like 25 million people...yeah, very concerning. The expected flooding rains are bad enough. Throw in storm surges, power outages, strong winds, and mass evacuations and/or displacement, and it doesn't look good at all. :-c

Places you saw about 6 months ago may not be there come Monday. I don't feel so stupid for leaving today because the roads will probably packed tomorrow morning. We saw some other packed cars today but the traffic was not anything abnormal for a summer near the coast.

I will try to snap pics early next week if I can, I just never have done a cyburbia photo thread like some have with many photos, what's the best way to snap pics, resize, and upload so everyone can see it without crashing their browsers?

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Places you saw about 6 months ago may not be there come Monday. I don't feel so stupid for leaving today because the roads will probably packed tomorrow morning. We saw some other packed cars today but the traffic was not anything abnormal for a summer near the coast.

I will try to snap pics early next week if I can, I just never have done a cyburbia photo thread like some have with many photos, what's the best way to snap pics, resize, and upload so everyone can see it without crashing their browsers?

Yeah, I imagine Topsail Beach and Surf City may not look the same anymore.

I remember the same thing when I visited SW Florida a couple years before Charley struck. I went back there about a year after Charley came through and Punta Gorda still looked like a war-zone with trailers and tarps and large buildings that had been turned to rubble, while Fort Myers Beach looked a lot smaller...probably due to severe erosion.

Hoping for the best for everyone on the East Coast.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Places you saw about 6 months ago may not be there come Monday

Forget 6 months ago Try 2 weeks ago
Yes I do worry about my Mom's & Cousin's house (across the street) on Long Beach Island (LBI), NJ.
Mom is off the island.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I find it amazing how many people don't think this is going to be a big storm. It seems that everyone who knows anything thinks it is going to be ugly... get out, get safe, and hope that it misses your house... but don't wait it out....:-c

Planit

Cyburbian
They're projecting landfall between Morehead City & Cape Hatteras - That's basically Cape Lookout (the hook on the NC cost on your map). That's where we go fishing. Shackleford Banks, Ocrakoe Island are going to be hurt.

Delaware coast, Philly, NJ coast, NYC, Long Island, Conn, Mass, Maine - hunker down and take care. We'll be thinking of you kjel, lp, & Boston-based cyburbians. NHP should see flooding too. I have some the of same bad feelings as beach_bum.

kms, your daughter should be okay, but she'll see a lot of rain and wind. k-xo, I hope you've left town with the family.

I think I'm going to pull up a webcam tomorrow from the Nags Head area.

kms

Cyburbian
They're projecting landfall between Morehead City & Cape Hatteras - That's basically Cape Lookout (the hook on the NC cost on your map). That's where we go fishing. Shackleford Banks, Ocrakoe Island are going to be hurt.

Delaware coast, Philly, NJ coast, NYC, Long Island, Conn, Mass, Maine - hunker down and take care. We'll be thinking of you kjel, lp, & Boston-based cyburbians. NHP should see flooding too. I have some the of same bad feelings as beach_bum.

kms, your daughter should be okay, but she'll see a lot of rain and wind. k-xo, I hope you've left town with the family.

Thanks for the update. She was talking about heading toward Charlotte to be safe, so we'll see. I think that her staying put might be the best thing.

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
Just when you thought there would some reasonable limit to people trying to capitalize on this hurricane, something new pops up.

I got an email today from a beautiful Maine Inn that I've stayed at in the past. Its directly ocean-front, just north of Camden. Elegant, classy, fine dining, well-appointed and expensive with summer and fall rates usually around $400/night. And yet not above the hype. This is what they sent:

Hurricane Irene? - Live the adventure!
B&B rate starting at $189 a night this Sunday & Monday night.
See Irene up close and personal!

Why sit at home and watch the news when you can live the adventure?
Come to the high ground and security of Mid-coast Maine's most beautiful Inn, and Enjoy the Show!

Sigh.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Just when you thought there would some reasonable limit to people trying to capitalize on this hurricane, something new pops up.

I got an email today from a beautiful Maine Inn that I've stayed at in the past. Its directly ocean-front, just north of Camden. Elegant, classy, fine dining, well-appointed and expensive with summer and fall rates usually around $400/night. And yet not above the hype. This is what they sent:

Hurricane Irene? - Live the adventure!
B&B rate starting at $189 a night this Sunday & Monday night.
See Irene up close and personal!

Why sit at home and watch the news when you can live the adventure?
Come to the high ground and security of Mid-coast Maine's most beautiful Inn, and Enjoy the Show!

Sigh.

:8:The rain in Maine stays mainly on the plain.:8: By George, they've got it!

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Dismal story on NPR this morning about the drought here in Texas. Lack of water and hay is forcing ranchers to sell off their beef herds including their breeding stock. Lack of hay now means that there won't be any in the winter either. Like farming, many young people have left the ranch business and the people left just won't have the time to ever rebuild their herds. Horses are being auctioned off for $10 or $20 or even given away because people don't have the resources to keep them. Even worse, many have been abandoned to die.

That's just the ranching side, entire ecosystems are under stress and everything in the food chain from insects on up are in decline. If you live in a major metropolitan area, you just know that it's hot and dry. Some people are starting to notice that, even in the city, wildlife is showing in their yards looking for relief.

If you go out in the country all the time like I do, it doesn't take keen powers of observation to see that mature trees are dying, nocturnal wildlife is out during the day looking for food and water, and wildfires are a constant danger.

kalimotxo

Cyburbian

Thanks, Planit. That projection is a bit farther east than I read late yesterday, which had it making landfall between Swansboro and Morehead. That track would have been very bad for my new abode, and the new track is only slightly less bad.

Anyway, I loaded up the car and drove to my brother's place in Richmond yesterday afternoon, just after evacuation orders and ahead of the worst of the evac. traffic. It's just me for now as the SO is in China and the pup is staying with a friend in western VA. Based on what I'm seeing, Richmond might not even be safe; I might head west again tomorrow morning. All the while I pray that on Sunday I return to a house that still has a roof on it.

Everyone potentially affected, please be safe in this storm. And don't pass up the opportunity to play candlelight Scrabble with captive family members.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm watching web cam at UNC Pembroke. The storm is there, but they seem to be along the edge and should have just rain and some wind.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
I'm watching web cam at UNC Pembroke. The storm is there, but they seem to be along the edge and should have just rain and some wind.

Just spoke to the BF, I left him in Raleigh to fend for himself, weather there is windy, but no storms yet. A beautiful day here 'midway' to NE!

wahday

Cyburbian
Dismal story on NPR this morning about the drought here in Texas. Lack of water and hay is forcing ranchers to sell off their beef herds including their breeding stock. Lack of hay now means that there won't be any in the winter either. Like farming, many young people have left the ranch business and the people left just won't have the time to ever rebuild their herds. Horses are being auctioned off for $10 or $20 or even given away because people don't have the resources to keep them. Even worse, many have been abandoned to die.

That's just the ranching side, entire ecosystems are under stress and everything in the food chain from insects on up are in decline. If you live in a major metropolitan area, you just know that it's hot and dry. Some people are starting to notice that, even in the city, wildlife is showing in their yards looking for relief.

If you go out in the country all the time like I do, it doesn't take keen powers of observation to see that mature trees are dying, nocturnal wildlife is out during the day looking for food and water, and wildfires are a constant danger.

I feel for you! Recently I looked over some brought projection maps for the region and New Mexico is a little on the edge as far as severity. In some scenarios its pretty bad. In others, its a little more manageable. But in every scenario, the entirety of Texas is classified as Extreme and Persistent Drought. I was also shocked to hear that they declared a state of emergency there saying that every single county in the state has seen at least a 30 percent loss in agricultural product, livestock or graxing lands. :-c

Hang tight!