• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions on the panhandle:

Fair
92 °F (34 °C)
Humidity: 61 %
Wind Speed: W 17 MPH
Barometer: 29.78" (1008.7 mb)
Dewpoint: 77 °F (25 °C)
Heat Index: 106 °F (41 °C) :h:
Visibility: 10.00 mi

Linda_D

Cyburbian
I find it amazing how many people don't think this is going to be a big storm. It seems that everyone who knows anything thinks it is going to be ugly... get out, get safe, and hope that it misses your house... but don't wait it out....:-c

The utility companies are definitely taking it seriously. I was driving west on I-86 this afternoon and saw a convoy of bucket and line trucks from one of the utilities somewhere west of Olean, NY heading east. I suspect that they have a staging area somewhere just north and/or west of the area expected to be affected.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Hurricanes are so weird. After Charley in 2004, a co-worker related how she was in her condo in central FL and watched the wind/rain (sideways) jiggle her front-door deadbolt from locked to open, in a matter of minutes. Then water started spewing thru the gap where the deadbolt had been. Luckily, she had no actual damage from the storm.

Tide

Cyburbian
Got home a few hours ago. Not too much damage to Jacksonville NC. Some signals still out and many signs and awnings damaged or gone but overall much better than I had expected. The house has some siding peeling off a few shingles missing and a ton of pinecones strewn over the backyard. Neighbor lost their trampoline 2 doors down. Lost power but it was only for a few hours so didn't loose anything in the fridge.

I hope K-mo faired better but I don't think he did.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
12 hours of incessant rain and wind. Thankfully Irene had weakened a bit before it blew through here. Not a lot of wind damage near me but there is wide spread flooding and most of the roads are closed. I didn't lose power at all but many of my friends did. The boiler servicing my building is flooded out so there's not hot water but I ain't complaining.

Gotta Speakup

Cyburbian
A fair amount of rain here in Boston, but nothing like what areas to the west received. No one hurt around here, but lots of small branches were down. At least two very large, very mature trees fell (maybe 100 years old or more?) in the block or so around where I live. One smooshed a car pretty bad.

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
The flooding in southern VT is unprecedented here. I've been looking through photos which are way worse than anything I've seen the national news show of the area. Whole towns essentially wiped out, flooded or washed downstream. I haven't yet figured out how to post photos here. If I do that, I'll try to share some that are just astonishing. I've counted 4 historical covered bridges completely washed away, including a very popular one in Queechee. Woodstock and Brattleboro, which some people have mentioned here as quaint towns, are under several feet of water, including the downtowns and Main Streets.

My family in CT did okay as far as damage and flooding goes, but were told yesterday it could be up to 2 weeks before power is restored.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Talked to Mom -
Where she lives in Central NJ - lost power for about an hr over night, lots of rain and wind.

Through FB - Mom's beach house on LBI is ok.
She had not been down there preceeding week.
I asked her about the re-entry card, she had left it at the house always thinking that she would take it if she had been evacuated from there.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Apparently, the Albany area, the Hudson Valley, and the Catskills as well as neighboring western MA and southern VT were apparently hit far harder than the coastal areas of NY and NE. The primary culprit was the rain which has caused massive flooding that's continuing.

A sampling ...

My old neighborhood in Troy, NY was evacuated. Parts of the historic Stockade neighborhood in Schnectady was also evacuated. Parts of I-787, the main north-south route between Albany and northern suburbs like Menands, Watervliet, Cohoes, and Troy, was closed because of flooding.

People have been evacuated because a hyrdoelectric dam in Rennselaer County is expected to fail at any moment. The Gilboa Dam, on the western slope of the Catskills, has been "breached". I'm not sure what that means, but I hope that doesn't mean it's likely to collapse or something; it's a big dam holding back a huge reservoir that provides drinking water for NYC.

The NYS Thruway has been closed between Nyack and Newburgh because of mudslides.

Planit

Cyburbian
NC12 (the raod along the Outer Banks) is breached in at least 6 places, one almost 900 feet wide.

Ferry service is supposed to start back up this afternoon.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Apparently, the Albany area, the Hudson Valley, and the Catskills as well as neighboring western MA and southern VT were apparently hit far harder than the coastal areas of NY and NE. The primary culprit was the rain which has caused massive flooding that's continuing...

...The Gilboa Dam, on the western slope of the Catskills, has been "breached". I'm not sure what that means, but I hope that doesn't mean it's likely to collapse or something; it's a big dam holding back a huge reservoir that provides drinking water for NYC.

The Gilboa Dam was not breached - i.e., the dam did not fail - but it did overflow. The entire Schoharie Valley, parts of the Mohawk Valley, and a lot of the Catskills have been devastated. Greene County in the northern Catskills received 13 inches of rain - yes, 13 inches of rain 8-! - and several communities are in very bad shape. Some people have had to be evacuated by helicopter.

And anyone who says that Mayor Bloomberg or Governor Cuomo blew things out of proportion in preparing for the hurricane is an idiot. :-{ NYC could have received that 13 inches of rain.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The COMET Program is pleased to announce the publication of SKYWARN® Spotter Convective Basics. This 1-hour module provides baseline training for spotters who may encounter severe thunderstorms. Procedures for making spotter reports are modeled with best practices. The module also discusses how to maintain your personal safety while spotting. In a series of three scenarios, image galleries will help you understand the spectrum of each storm feature you can identify in the field. After completion of the scenarios or as a refresher, you can test your identification skills in the photo quiz.

This module includes photographs, video, audio narration, and a companion print version. The intended audience for the SKYWARN Spotter Convective Basics module is the general public interested in becoming storm spotters, and after this training, you can register to become a SKYWARN spotter with the NWS.
Please follow this link to start the module:
http://www.meted.ucar.edu/spotter_training/convective/.

This module is a part of the SKYWARN Spotter Training Course now available on MetEd at:
http://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_course.php?id=23.
Upon completion of this course, you can register with your local NWS office to become a volunteer SKYWARN Spotter for your community. Most COMET modules use JavaScript and Adobe® Flash® for navigation, animation, and/or presentation of multimedia elements. Ensure that you have a browser updated to its latest version with JavaScript enabled and the latest version of the Adobe FlashPlayer installed (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/).
For technical support for this module please visit our Registration and Support FAQs at http://www.meted.ucar.edu/resources_faq.php.

NOTE TO NWS and other NOAA EMPLOYEES: This module is available in the Commerce Learning Center @ National Weather Service (http://doc.learn.com/noaa/nws). Please access it in that system in order to get credit.

We welcome any comments or questions you may have regarding the content, instructional approach, or use of this module. Please e-mail your comments or questions to Bryan Guarente (guarente@comet.ucar.edu) or Liz Page (epage@comet.ucar.edu).

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Hurricane Katia is churning in the Atlantic. Forecast to become a major hurricane next week. Looks like the East Coast will have to watch this storm closely next week.

Richmond Jake

Hurricane Katia is churning in the Atlantic. Forecast to become a major hurricane next week. Looks like the East Coast will have to watch this storm closely next week.

And now Tropical Storm Lee in the Gulf...just before we're scheduled to fly to Fort Lauderdale next Wednesday for the APA Florida Chapter conference in Palm Beach. Great timing....:-@
Now we'll be watching these all weekend.

I so want my picture taken in front of macy*s.

Richmond Jake

A spectacular sunrise this morning thanks to Tropical Storm Lee. The sky was a brilliant red casting its hue on the trees, the house, the streets, everything. Something I've never witnessed before; there are no words to describe. And I've been around the block a few times.

According to the current radar image, we're gonna get hit hard within the next hour. But not as hard as our neighbors to the west. Good luck, folks. All the best.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is summer over yet ?

today's forecast high - 97
friday's high was 99 - 7 hrs above 90
thursday's high was 98 - 6 hrs above 90

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Safest Places

ABC TV just did a report on "the safest states to live". They were looking for the states with the least natural disasters. The top two: Hawaii and Alaska. I agree with Hawaii but shake my noggin at including Alaska. The state is still threatened by volcano ash and earthquakes.

Michigan was in the top five. I expected that. But I also expected Idaho and Utah to be on that list. I have to see if I can find the complete list.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
ABC TV just did a report on "the safest states to live". They were looking for the states with the least natural disasters. The top two: Hawaii and Alaska. I agree with Hawaii but shake my noggin at including Alaska. The state is still threatened by volcano ash and earthquakes.

Michigan was in the top five. I expected that. But I also expected Idaho and Utah to be on that list. I have to see if I can find the complete list.

Bear

I'm surprised Hawaii, Alaska, and Michigan would all be included. Hawaii has tsunamis, volcanoes, and hurricanes have even struck the state before. Alaska has earthquakes, avalanches, and can also get tsunamis. And Michigan has crippling blizzards and actually has a high number of tornadoes compared to other Great Lakes states.

I wouldn't classify pretty much any coastal state as being among the Top 5 safest. I think you're right with Idaho, Utah, Montana, and other interior west states being safer places to be, as long as you're not in the high rugged mountains, where avalanches are common.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
100F Thursday; 101F Friday; 100F (so far) today, breaking the previous record of 99F set in '25 and tied in '538-!. Monday is supposed to have a high of 73F and it's forecast to stay relatively cool here all week. :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thanks to Lee, it was overcast here most of the day, but we didn't get much rain. The temp's been in the low 70's all afternoon. Very uncommon for FL.

Richmond Jake

We are under flash flood and tornado watches through this evening. Just go away, Lee. Oh wait, I guess the means you folks up in the Ohio Valley get whacked. :not:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
After last weeks 95-100 temps, it is almost chilly at 65 w/ a north wind over 15 mph.

This weeks forecast highs of barely 75 and nightime lows in the 50's. - FALL

Richmond Jake

Current conditions from the NWS:

Tornado Watch
Flash Flood Watch
High Surf Advisory
Wind Advisory
Coastal Flood Watch
Hazardous Weather Outlook

It just don't get much better than that.

EDIT: The weather radio just announced a severe thunderstorm warning. I better start the BB-Q.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
After last weeks 95-100 temps, it is almost chilly at 65 w/ a north wind over 15 mph.

This weeks forecast highs of barely 75 and nightime lows in the 50's. - FALL

Thank the good Lord. It is about time. I need to buy fuel oil....:-c

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Hell finally went home, after vacationing here in TX for all of summer. We had low 60's for morning temps, and it's supposed to stay in the 80's for the rest of the week! :)

Last week, it was mid-80's overnight. Now it's a high of mid-80's during the day. :)

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
I thought I'd share some of the photos from the flooding in VT. Keep in mind that many of these were taken several days after the flood, and show not the waters, but what was left as they were receding. I'll have to find a way to show some of the most amazing photos of the actual flooding. Some of them just seem astonishing.

http://www.mansfieldheliflight.com/flood/

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Hell finally went home, after vacationing here in TX for all of summer. We had low 60's for morning temps, and it's supposed to stay in the 80's for the rest of the week! :)

Last week, it was mid-80's overnight. Now it's a high of mid-80's during the day. :)

I don't know... it appears a substantial part of the Greater Austin area has taken on the appearance of hell. One fire by itself has consumed 36,000 acres and 500+ houses out toward Bastrop. It has claimed the home of at least one friend.

Here's a picture taken from the west side of Austin looking toward Bastrop:
308112_10150299612344693_815359692_7601623_2642075_n.jpg

And a close-up on Bastrop courtesy of KXAN News:
Bastrop_Fire_Tuesday_Morning_605_20110906061343_320_240.JPG

beach_bum

Cyburbian
I don't know... it appears a substantial part of the Greater Austin area has taken on the appearance of hell. One fire by itself has consumed 36,000 acres and 500+ houses out toward Bastrop. It has claimed the home of at least one friend.

I was in Austin a few weeks back and can attest, everything looked, well, thirsty. My good friend, who I was visiting, lives by Lake Travis and is safe for now, but the neighborhood next to her lost 30 homes. Wish I could send some of these Lee remnants your way!

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Is it just me or does anyone else living in the midwest feel that summer just ended...rather abruptly.:-|

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Is it just me or does anyone else living in the midwest feel that summer just ended...rather abruptly.:-|

Yes. I need a new coat. I thought I had a month or so to make that purchase. I was wrong.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

It was 95 on Friday and 59 on Tuesday. Something's wrong here!

At least the cold spell has sent the crickets scurrying away from my house and they seem to be done sneaking into my hallway in the middle of the night.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Chris Warren from TWC is reporting live from My Fair City. Yesterday brought 7.49" of rain (previous record was 4"). Another storm is making its way up from the south bringing another 3+". There is flash flooding already. The rivers will be cresting this afternoon/evening. The two rivers are about 2" from the top of the floodwall. :-|

Mud Princess

Cyburbian

Absolutely. Oops, I don't live in the midwest. But I feel the same way.

The last 2 weeks have been almost nothing but rain, rain, rain, rain. :not:

Planit

Cyburbian
Chris Warren from TWC is reporting live from My Fair City. Yesterday brought 7.49" of rain (previous record was 4"). Another storm is making its way up from the south bringing another 3+". There is flash flooding already. The rivers will be cresting this afternoon/evening. The two rivers are about 2" from the top of the floodwall. :-|

I got to see dandy's little hamlet on TWC last night & this morning...I was hoping for a dandy photobomb, but no such luck.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Who wore a jacket this morning ? just a bit chiily at 53 F

Please send that weather my way. I am waiting for the cold to kill the overpopulation of mosquitos (and other annoying flying/biting insects) resulting from all the rain we've had this year. :-{

Planit

Cyburbian
80's and humid here in St. Petersburg, FL.

It's always humid there.
(coming from an St.P native-stop by the Chattaway for me)

I saw on TWC that OKCity had a high of 102 on Tues and the high tomorrow is projected to be 60. TexOk - what's going on there?

michaelskis

Cyburbian

I was thinking that too. I was in shorts with no shirt when I mowed the lawn on Tuesday morning. Tomorrow morning I might need to find mittens for our little guy so I can walk him to daycare.

wahday

Cyburbian
I was thinking that too. I was in shorts with no shirt when I mowed the lawn on Tuesday morning. Tomorrow morning I might need to find mittens for our little guy so I can walk him to daycare.

We're experiencing a similar dynamic here in the southwest. Last night it was in the high 50s. Before that, the lowest nighttime temp was more like mid 70s for the last 4 months at least. And its been very overcast. I feel like we just moved to Portland...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This morning wasn't bad but it was a bit brisk when I came home this evening. I noticed some of the trees were starting to turn color.