• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
So yeah, fall has arrived (or at least given us a sneak peek) in northern Illinois. This morning, it was in the mid-high 30s, and it only got up to the mid-upper 50s for highs today. Highs in the 70s next week though.

Earlier this week, we had smoke in the air from a wildfire in the Boundary Waters area of Minnesota. Northerly winds after a cold front were just enough to send the smoke all the way down to northern Illinois. It wasn't as noticeable where I'm at (the far northern suburbs and Wisconsin had more noticeable smoke), but you could definitely smell the pungent odor, which smelled horrible +o( ...not the good bonfire smell.

Planit

Cyburbian
Low this morning was 57 and the high today is projected to be 59 - yes there is alot of cloud cover.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Last night it was a comforter and two cat night. It was 40F on the way into work this morning. <insert shivering smilie>

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got hit with a light frost last night. Go ahead and ask me if I care.:not:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We were cold last night. I had to turn on the heat.... 43 at the homestead. Mild winter, that is what farmer almanac says.... let's hope for that.

kms

Cyburbian
It was 40 here this morning. I turned on the heat long enough to take the chill out of the house.

My daughter in NC is complaining of cold, planit.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Last night it was a comforter and two cat night. It was 40F on the way into work this morning. <insert shivering smilie>

We still have our summer blanket on the bed, and the dog kept stealing it last night. Time to get the nice ol' comforter out of the linen closet!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
We got hit with a light frost last night. Go ahead and ask me if I care.:not:

Do you care? Should there be a poll to see if we think you care?

;)

Pretty-much normal late summer temps here in NW Ohio. Highs in the upper 60F to low 70F range. Cool nights, with temps near 40F. Probably read about snow flurries in the Upper Peninsula within a week or so.

My friend, Olivia, is camping this week at the Pictured Rocks in the U.P. She probably won't jump into Lake Superior. :-c

Bear

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
63°/17°. A lovely afternoon for a bike ride to a neighborhood diner for lunch.

n1N5k.jpg

VxK87.jpg

cLh9C.jpg

xuZlU.jpg

yovVJ.jpg

dknzO.jpg

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We got / are getting pummeled right now with rain. No flooding yet, but it is raining like crazy. It is projected to rain for numerous days to come. :-@

I hate rain.

Planit

Cyburbian
Seems as though a micro-burst hit downtown yesterday. Several big oaks are down including one next to the courthouse, one on top of the post office, at least 4 homes with severe damage and several with lesser damage and 2 big one in our parking lot (but no cars taken out). Limbs and debris everywhere.

Gonna be hearing alot of chainsaw noise this week.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian

Coincidentally, I am listening to that noise at this very moment, as a contractor hired by a local utility company cuts down a tree out front that's grown too close to the power lines.

Our weather lately has been rain, overcast, rain, showers, rain... and MOSQUITOS GALORE. I have never seen them this bad during the fall. 8-!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rainy Tuesday. Leaves are starting to change colors.

90JWT.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
Seems as though a micro-burst hit downtown yesterday. Several big oaks are down including one next to the courthouse, one on top of the post office, at least 4 homes with severe damage and several with lesser damage and 2 big one in our parking lot (but no cars taken out). Limbs and debris everywhere.

Our parking lot:
Tree #3 being cut up now. It was actually 3 big oaks that came down and very very tangled in each other. Casualty report: one vehicle with minor damage & two a/c units totalled.

Ah the sounds of chainsaws, chippers and cranes. Nature!!!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Heat Is On

Finally turned on the furnace. A few days and nights of way-below-normal temps placed the interior in the "Hey, I can see my breath!" category. Later this week the temps are going to go considerably above-normal. Situation: quite normal for NW Ohio.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
This week's forecast in my neck of the woods:

Monday: Sunny, with a high near 71.
Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 74.
Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 77.
Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 77.
Friday: Sunny, with a high near 78.
Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 78.
Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 76.
Columbus Day: Sunny, with a high near 75.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We just had two mornings in the 40's; it's way too early for that! We shouldn't see those temps until after Thanksgiving!

kms

Cyburbian
We had days and days of rain with temps ranging froms 40 - 50. That was miserable weather for moving to another place. We're expecting sun and mid 70's by the weekend.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
High 40s. Overcast for several days in a row. Fall is here.

Q8JQp.jpg

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Finally turned on the furnace. A few days and nights of way-below-normal temps placed the interior in the "Hey, I can see my breath!" category. Later this week the temps are going to go considerably above-normal. Situation: quite normal for NW Ohio.

Bear

I try to hold out until Oct. 31st to turn on the furnace. The nights have been in the low 40s and our house's inside temp is about 60F so it is still bearable. Plus any excuse to get extra snuggles from the cats is fine with me!! Indian summer is in the forecast so during the next few days we should be able to open the windows again and enjoy the autumn breezes.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
This week highs:

T: 72
W: 75
R: 78
F: 77

This year is weird...

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Above Average &amp; Sunny

Quite a change in line for the next six to seven days here along the Ohio/Michigan border. Sunny and warm......above-average temps, near 80F by the weekend. Just slid out of the 5th wettest September on record.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It's gonna be absolutely gorgeous this weekend. Sunny, highs in the low 80s, and peak fall foliage.

Apparently we're supposed to have another wicked winter though. :-c So I'm enjoying this nice weather while it lasts. I RJ'd today and am about to head out for a bike ride.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We had wet stuff falling from the sky. I'm not sure what it was, but I do know it was strange enough that they postphoned the local baseball game for it. I guess they determined it was safe to come into contact with the strange wet stuff, because they finished the game.

However, more of the strange wet stuff was expected Sunday, so they decided not to play at the local ballpark last night.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Near-normal temps here in the lower Great Lakes (and NW Ohio). Cool nights down near 40F, daytime temps about 55F to 60F. Saturday was very windy (gusts near 50 MPH :-c). Not so windy this morning.

Still no hard freeze. I did see that the upper Great Lakes will be seeing some snow flurries.

Hard to believe, Thanksgiving Day (in the USA) is only five-and-a-half weeks away.

Bear

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Winter is coming....

41 this AM, and the forecast for the week is ugly...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm surprised that this is mid-Oct and a possible tropical storm system is forming off SW Florida. Really, that's just too much this late in the year.:-c:r:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Yesterday it was 90. Today the high is predicted around 65. Fall is here!!

I like fall weather. Cool, sometimes breezy, with mornings that really wake up the senses and nights that are pleasant.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Rain all day. Dang. Yesterday the kid and I spent several hours cutting back shrubs and pulling up plants, preparing for the upcoming termite treatment around the foundation. We had planned to finish today, but that ain't happening...:-{

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
The crazy fall of 2011 continues. After a nasty week of rain and wind with temps in the 40's, it was in the 70's today and supposed to be in the mid 70's again tomorrow. Back to more "normal" fall weather this upcoming week with sun and highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's. Loving the long fall this year!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
So, I'm driving home from work to let the dogs out - maybe a ten minute drive. Up the hill, I noticed that the rain was starting to stick to my windshield.

ZBQ4n.jpg

Uh oh.

Five minutes later, I get home, and ...

FDCLW.jpg

50265241495468572824588.jpg

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
So, I'm driving home from work to let the dogs out - maybe a ten minute drive. Up the hill, I noticed that the rain was starting to stick to my windshield.

ZBQ4n.jpg

Uh oh.

FDCLW.jpg

Well, your doggie seems to be enjoying the snow.

On a related note, the cats and I are hoping to spend the next several afternoons by the pool, working on our tans. :D
:-$

rcgplanner

Cyburbian

ZBQ4n.jpg

Uh oh.

FDCLW.jpg

6-10 inches of snow in the mid-Atlantic this weekend... that and the 6 inches of snow that hit Denver after an 80 degree day, seems early to hear about all of this. After being near 80 here in Central IL on Wednesday, back to 40's and 50's this weekend.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
No Snow For Me!

Cold temps here in NW Ohio on this late-October morning. The ole' thermo-meter showing a crisp and nipply :p 30F. It is actually warmer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan this morning! But no snow in our forecast. As yacked-on before, this end of Lake Erie doesn't get much "lake effect" snow. Buffalo residents probably remember a few years ago when they were blasted with late October now.....measured in feet, not inches. :-c

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm sure there are people who were just in Cancun and had to evacuate who are cursing the National Hurricane Center after Rina limped away and dissipated. Hey, it happens. Too many people take these kinds of cases as an excuse to ignore warnings down the road.

Tarf

Cyburbian
sunny and 60. :D

I see your sunny and 60 and raise you a sunny and 77 degrees w/ 36% humidity :D

Snow is like in-laws. Good to have within several hours drive, horrible to have in your backyard :h:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Rj reports that high winds preceeding a coldish-front wreaked havoc with his golf game on his golf trip a couple hours east of where we live.

I'm reporting that high winds blew my Halloween decorations all over the place this morning.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
We had a couple of inches of snow last night, and (unlike some parts of the region) our power stayed on.

Today, with the sun out and the temperatures above freezing, the snow is melting off the tree branches and falling in clumps to the ground. If I wait a few hours, I won't even need to clear the snow off my car, as it will all be gone... which is fine with me. There are still plenty of leaves to be raked.

zman

Cyburbian
Alas... we seem to be getting a weekly Wednesday snow dump here in Colo.

Planit

Cyburbian
We're having great fall weather last week & this week.

Low is in the upper 30s/low 40s and the high is in the lower 60s.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My hometown had it's 3rd largest snowfall since records have been kept on Saturday/Sunday (22.4 inches), so I spent my first morning in my new house shoveling after moving the previous day. :( The community where I work still has almost 50% of residents without power going on 4 days now (statewide still 81,000 without power, down from a peak of about 300,000).

Typical scene 'round town right now:

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 3