• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

wahday

Cyburbian
The last few weeks its been pretty warm here with highs in the 70s, but today is a high of 46 with a low of 23 tonight. Better go pick my basil after work...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It will be unusually chilly in the FL panhandle this weekend. We will likely have our first dip of the fall into the hot tub. One of us may not be clothed. Woohoo!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I did not know this ... a century ago, on 11-12 November 1911, an epic cold front passed through the US. Numerous cities went from record high temps to record low temps within a 24-hour period. Here's what it was like in Louisville, KY:

On the morning of the 12th the temperature fell from 74° (23°C) at midnight to 50° at 1am, and was into the mid 20s (-3°C) by the time the sun came up that morning. Winds to 48 mph accompanied the front around 12:30am. When Louisville was in the mid 70s at midnight, Saint Louis, just 200 miles west, was in the upper teens.

Here's a LINKY with lots of maps and graphics.

Blide

Cyburbian
That's actually not too unusual in places like Colorado, especially in the spring and fall. Can be 90 degrees one day and 30 the next. The mountains make the weather interesting there.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Intermittent snow flurries throughout the day. This is the time of year where snow is still charming, so I'm enjoying it now.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Intermittent snow flurries throughout the day. This is the time of year where snow is still charming, so I'm enjoying it now.

Same here. Very light flurries...no accumulation.

I usually enjoy winter and the snow up until about the New Year. Then it gets old. If I was a snowbird, I would stay up north until the holidays were over, and then spend Jan, Feb, March, and April down south.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We're having a highly unusual cold spell here in the panhandle. Predictions for our area were for lows in the low 30's, but when I got up this morning at 6:30, the sprinklers had been running and there were small icicles on some of the trees. At 7:15 I checked the temp by the pool and it was 26! I don't think I've ever seen freezing temps in FL in mid-November.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
A tad above-norm for NW Ohio on this day after Thanksgiving. Usual high temps are in the low-to-mid 40F range in late November. Today it touched the 60F marker. More of the same tomorrow morning.....then comes the crunch.....as below-normal temperatures mosey their way in to our cold, cold hearts. By Sunday it will only be in the 35F range. Up north, they are expecting some snow. Time to hunker-down.

Bear

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
77 °F and partly sunny. Should I lay by the pool and sip sparkling wine or watch football in the house? Decisions... decisions.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
A well-defined line of storms is just moving into our county. It will drop temps by 15 or so degrees in the next few hours. Too bad. We were in shorts today. Tomorrow night we'll be in the 30's. Dang.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Headline: Storm system may bring Tri-State its first few snowflakes of the season

first official snow of the winter weather season could come Tuesday, though it won't be much more than a dusting, according to the National Weather Service.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Math Warning

Louisville Courier-Journal print headline: Perennial snowflake question
Article link: Science, logic explain uniqueness of snowflakes

Now, it’s not a law of nature that no two snowflakes could be truly identical. So, on a very technical level, it’s possible for two snowflakes to be identical.
And it’s entirely possible that two snowflakes have been visibly indistinguishable. But probability dictates that this is incredibly unlikely

btrage

Cyburbian
It's snowing here in the Ohio River Valley.

It's on it's way to Metro Detroit. Supposed to change over from rain to snow after 9 PM. Accumulation of 1-3 inches by 8 AM tomorrow morning.

I'm quite upset over this, but we managed to go this far with no accumlation yet, so I can't complain too much. Also, having lived in West Michigan for almost 10 years of my life, I will NOT be missing the massive lake effect snow storms!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's on it's way to Metro Detroit. Supposed to change over from rain to snow after 9 PM. Accumulation of 1-3 inches by 8 AM tomorrow morning.

I'm quite upset over this, but we managed to go this far with no accumlation yet, so I can't complain too much. Also, having lived in West Michigan for almost 10 years of my life, I will NOT be missing the massive lake effect snow storms!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Welcome back to the east side of the state. Since you've been gone a while let me remind you how snowfall projections usually turn out: Divide the small end of the projection with the large end to give you an accurate projection. Therefore you should expect about ⅓" of snow for your morning commute tomorrow.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome back to the east side of the state. Since you've been gone a while let me remind you how snowfall projections usually turn out: Divide the small end of the projection with the large end to give you an accurate projection. Therefore you should expect about ⅓" of snow for your morning commute tomorrow.

Depending upon how cold it gets tonight all of this current rain should keep actual accumulation down to a minimum. Here is hoping that it stays above 35 degrees else we will be hitting ice patches instead of driving in a small amount of snow! I have a major presentation to do at 9:30 can't be late!

Btrage, FYI taking snow days on this side of the State is generally frowned upon. The only exceptions are nor-easterners. Then we get Buffalo snow! The folks in Buffalo probably laugh like hell because they get the 1/4 inch and we get the foot plus!

btrage

Cyburbian
Depending upon how cold it gets tonight all of this current rain should keep actual accumulation down to a minimum. Here is hoping that it stays above 35 degrees else we will be hitting ice patches instead of driving in a small amount of snow! I have a major presentation to do at 9:30 can't be late!

Btrage, FYI taking snow days on this side of the State is generally frowned upon. The only exceptions are nor-easterners. Then we get Buffalo snow! The folks in Buffalo probably laugh like hell because they get the 1/4 inch and we get the foot plus!

It took a blizzard to shut down my former municipal office in West Michigan. There were two blizzards while I worked there. We were only closed 1 day each time.

Growing up in St. Clair County, I do remember the occasional nor-easterner coming off of Lake Huron.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
It's just started sleeting here, so you guys should expect it in a few hours. Should make for an interesting drive home 8-!

Bubba

Cyburbian
Very light snow flurries here in the ATL last night - that's the earliest snowfall I can remember in the 22 years I've lived here.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
Growing up in St. Clair County, I do remember the occasional nor-easterner coming off of Lake Huron.

A few years ago I had a meeting in Port Huron with the County after a Nor-Easterner. Everything was fine till I got to about Wadhams, then the snow got real deep!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[OT]Do Michiganders really say "Nor'easterner" as opposed to "Nor'easter" or are the previous posts serial typos?[/OT]

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Relatively warm this early December morning in NW Ohio (49F). Windy and raining. Earlier this week we closed out November with enough rain to break the all-time November record. If it would have been snow we would have been wandering aimlessly thru nearly 40 inches of the white stuff. It was rain and it was cold, but not cold enough to be snow. :-{

There is a chance that Toledo can make it to the wettest year on record if we just have a couple more inches of rain. Texans must be salivating.

Later this week the temperatures drop back below normal. Looking at later-in-the-week temps of about 30F.
_____

All that rain earlier this week made for some interesting trips to the workplace. Most routes were flooded, many roads were closed for three days. In Toledo, along Swan Creek, quite a few homes were flooded.

Bear

Bubba

Cyburbian
66 with rain in the NW ATL burbs right now - received an e-mail from my sister this morning warning me to expect high-60s to low-70s over the Christmas weekend in south Georgia...yippee.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
A bit of an unusual Christmas period for NW Ohio......and a good portion of the USA.....relatively mild. Swanton, OH.....

Friday - High about 38F, dry
Saturday - High about 45F, dry
Christmas Day - High about 42F, dry
Today - Expecting 39F, dry

On Tuesday the rain comes back, eventually changing to snow. Probably get about 2" of the white stuff. But it will be in the low-40F range later in the week so any snow on the ground wil melt faster than Frosty.

When the weather was unusual (even just a "tad" unusual) my Mom would say "It's those rockets we send up in to space."

:-c:)

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We've had a very mild winter here in Northern Illinois. In Chicago, two-thirds of the days in December have been in the 40s or higher. This December is forecast to go down as the sixth-most number of days in the 40s or better.

We've also seen hardly any snow. I think I recall a dusting (around a half-inch of snow) in mid-December...and that's it. Decembers from the past several years have been exceptionally snowy and icy.

What does this mean for the rest of winter? Nobody knows...but it does mean that we managed to get through December without having to deal with a lot of cold and snow, and then there's really only 2-3 months of winter left. We still could get a huge snowstorm in January or February, or even March, and patterns could still shift that would send us more cold air. But as of now, it's kinda nice not having to deal with the brutal weather. Although it is kinda weird. And it sucks if you like snow, which part of me does.

Here's a good article about the winter so far: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-mild-december-1229-2-20111229,0,6308489.story

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Today was awesome! 50+ and sunny, didn't even need a coat. I think people are nuts for wanting it to snow, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed this stays a mild winter.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Near-blizzard conditions expected in the northern Great Lakes. Wonder what Green Bay will be like when the Lions visit on Sunday. Betcha: frigid.

Here in NW Ohio we are expecting another day of low-to-mid 40F temperatures.....that is, in the morning on NYD. Then the ole' therm-moe-meter starts to tumble. By Tuesday and Wednesday the high temps will be around 20F. Winter finally slides in. With an icy vengenn....vanginnez.....attitude. :-c:D

Maybe a little snow, too. Not much, though.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
New Year's Day at 6 am it was 54 with a forecast

temperature falling to around 39 by 5pm. Breezy, with a west northwest wind between 17 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A foot of snow inbound today. January is looking more typical than our December did

Linda_D

Cyburbian
We haven't had any "real snow" (as in our usual inch-an-hour lake effect snow) all season, but we got it today! Some places are going to get a foot or more. We have about 4-5 inches at my house. It's hard to tell exactly because the wind has been blowing hard, so there are lots of drifted areas and then areas that have been blown almost clear.

Boy, am I glad I decided to take this as a vacation day so I could take down my Christmas tree while watching the Rose Parade!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Mid-60s today. I might get an hour or so by the pool. :h: That all changes tonight when we are forecast to get a couple of consecutive mornings of sub-freezing temperatures. :-{

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We are sitting at around 20 today. High of 24. It feels like 12. Cold is only acceptable if there is snow. :-{

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
That's not snow. It's salt.

s9DE3.jpg

ecElC.jpg

EBsSL.jpg

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio

Yesterday the high temp was about 20F here in NW Ohio. Today it moseyed up to the low 30F range. Tomorrow we are expecting near 40F. Very mild winter, thus far, in the land once known as the Great Black Swamp. Maybe an inch or two of snow so far this season. Normal season total is about 35 to 40 inches. It's those rocket ships, I tell ya!

Bear