• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Today it got up to around 40 here in northern Illinois. Forecast for tomorrow and Friday: 48 and mostly sunny. In fact, it's supposed to be in the 30s or 40s with clear weather everyday until next Wednesday at least.

Keep in mind, this is early January in northern Illinois. It should be 10 with snow on the ground. Very strange. Whatever though, I'll take it. I think we've had a total of maybe an inch of snow so far this year. While winter is not close to being over yet, the mild weather we've had the first month and a half is very nice. Especially considering the harsh winters we've had the past several years.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's supposed to hit 45º here in Metro Detroit tomorrow. Luckily I am off of work on Fridays so this will be a great time to get in a nice wintertime run. Too bad there's no snow to make it a bit more scenic.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sunny, 51° F.

bAPm1.jpg

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Low-to-mid 50F range today in NW Ohio. Normal high for this day in January is 32F (on or about). Saturday's forecast calling for a high in the low-to-mid 40F range. No real major changes in predicted high temperatures for the next 7 to 10 days. Then.....

.....it's the end of the world, I tell ya! :-c

Winds aloft details are indicating that the seasonably cold Arctic air that has stayed away from most of the U.S. will begin to drop late next weekend. We will see it first in the northern plains, you know, the usual below-zero readings that dot the map in mid-to-late January. That cold air will slam into Minneapolis and frigidly amble down to the lower Great Lakes. Expect readings well-below normal, my friends.

You heard it here, first!

Bear :)

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Low-to-mid 50F range today in NW Ohio. Normal high for this day in January is 32F (on or about). Saturday's forecast calling for a high in the low-to-mid 40F range. No real major changes in predicted high temperatures for the next 7 to 10 days. Then.....

.....it's the end of the world, I tell ya! :-c

Winds aloft details are indicating that the seasonably cold Arctic air that has stayed away from most of the U.S. will begin to drop late next weekend. We will see it first in the northern plains, you know, the usual below-zero readings that dot the map in mid-to-late January. That cold air will slam into Minneapolis and frigidly amble down to the lower Great Lakes. Expect readings well-below normal, my friends.

You heard it here, first!

Bear :)

I keep telling myself long range forecasts are terribly inaccurate.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It got up to 55 this afternoon across the Chicago area. My department picked a great afternoon/evening to head to our suburban downtown for a meeting and dinner. It was gorgeous out...with a beautiful sunset too! And a ton of people out and about. It felt more like those first nice days of March, rather than early January.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
From the nearby PWS: Clear, 75.2°F

It was nice by the pool this afternoon. :h:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
While it was warm here for the past few days (got up to 55 on at my house on Friday) the forecast is looking more like winter for next weekend. High on Friday is only gong to be 24...:-c Not sure, but I think that this is still warmer than average for this time of year.

Personally, I am not complaining one bit. Now that Christmas is over, it can warm back up to the low 70's at any point.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The 7-8 inches of snow we got the previous week had mostly melted by this weekend. Got up to 50 on Friday

I've been taking full advantage of the warm weather and have used the opportunity to take care of all the garden maintenance chores I didn't finish in the fall. Come spring I'm geared up to get the garden going as early as possible.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I sit here debating to begin spring yard work

We raked and mulched leaves. If the weather doesn't get markedly colder soon, we'll have the first daffodils in about two weeks. Dandelions are already blooming as is the henbit.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Friday I was off of work and it was 55º in the early afternoon so I was able to get in a nice 9 mile run. This coming Wednesday it is supposed to be about 50º again and I'm very tempted to take the afternoon off of work to go hit the trails for another nice outdoor run. But I'm all talk so I wont.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The 7-8 inches of snow we got the previous week had mostly melted by this weekend. Got up to 50 on Friday

I've been taking full advantage of the warm weather and have used the opportunity to take care of all the garden maintenance chores I didn't finish in the fall. Come spring I'm geared up to get the garden going as early as possible.

WT freaking F??? 7-8 inches.... We got maybe an inch and I am an hour north of you! That is not right. I still have not fired up the snow blower (other than for a tune up).

I almost pulled out my lawnmower to mulch the late season leaves that had fallen since I put it away. It stayed put away and the leaves will stay until spring.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
WT freaking F??? 7-8 inches.... We got maybe an inch and I am an hour north of you! That is not right. I still have not fired up the snow blower (other than for a tune up).
You're not the first to express surprise about the distribution of snowfall, but you are the first to say that isn't 'right'. Yes, Junior and I went sledding several times last week.

boiker

Cyburbian
After an abnormally cold December (50s for most days), we just had about 10 days of very warm weather (70s). Typically, it's in the middle 60s around here this time of year. The forecast calls for this typical sunny, dry, and 67 for the next 7 days. Unfortunately, we need rain. This is the "wet" season and winter precipitation is critical.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Today, it was 55 and sunny. Tomorrow, we're supposed to get 6 inches of snow, followed by winds gusting up to 35 mph, temps in the 20s, and wind chills approaching zero. First sizable snowfall of the season. We've been spoiled for much of this winter with mild weather, but now we face the reality that is winter.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today, it was 55 and sunny. Tomorrow, we're supposed to get 6 inches of snow, followed by winds gusting up to 35 mph, temps in the 20s, and wind chills approaching zero. First sizable snowfall of the season. We've been spoiled for much of this winter with mild weather, but now we face the reality that is winter.

"They" say we should expect 5-10" by tomorrow night.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Still no snow here, just rain. And abnormally high temperatures. "They" claim we're supposed to get 3-5" tomorrow. I hope so. This lack of snow is starting to wig me out. Perhaps it is the end of days...

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Still no snow here, just rain. And abnormally high temperatures. "They" claim we're supposed to get 3-5" tomorrow. I hope so. This lack of snow is starting to wig me out. Perhaps it is the end of days...

Don't worry. We got your snow this time. :r:

I can hear clumps of snow falling from the roof onto the ground below.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Temp switch from yesterday - - 51 to 15. 4 inches on the ground with 3 more coming. Do I like it? No.

JNL

Cyburbian
Heavy rain and gale warnings up to 140km/h. 17C which is... let me check... 63F. It's meant to be summer :-{

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
More normal winter-like temperatures sliding in for Friday and the weekend. Rain tonight changing to snow. NW Ohio (west) will get 4" to 6". NW Ohio (central, including Swanton) will get 2" to 4". High winds will create wind chills of 0F to minus-10F. Blowing and drifting snow. Normal.

Bear

kms

Cyburbian
It's 18 here, wind chill 0. The wind dried most of the roads overnight, yet my kids have 2 hour delay, and traffic was so light that I made it to work in record time.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I can't believe how LAME we've become. They closed the schools today and we only got 6 inches of snow! Well, six so far and maybe another 4 to 9 later today from lake effect. It seemed like they never closed schools when I was a kid for anything under a foot and half of snow.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
There's a reason I live in the south, and recently made a choice to not apply for a job in WY: winters.

Right now we're at freezing, with mid-50's this afternoon. Warmer tomorrow. Some rain next week. This is my idea of winter.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Nasty wind here. Cold 18 degrees, but much lower with wind chill...

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Rained last night, rained early this morning - complete with some thunder, now it has been snowing with strong winds. Supposed to get either 1-4" or 3-5" depending on who you talk to. Finally some snow! I know I'll be grumbling about it come March but happy that it finally feels a bit like winter. Can we have a Christmas do-over?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I can't believe how LAME we've become. They closed the schools today and we only got 6 inches of snow! Well, six so far and maybe another 4 to 9 later today from lake effect. It seemed like they never closed schools when I was a kid for anything under a foot and half of snow.

[grumpy old man voice on] When I was a child, we had to walk 20 miles each way across snow-covered fields just to get to school! [/grumpy old man voice off]

;)

I agree - it seems to me that snow days were called only if there was heavy snowfall or extreme weather conditions. Back then it was a lot easier for parents to deal with having the kids stay home from school, as there were fewer women working outside the home. And kids weren't so 'programmed' like they are today; we all just wanted to go outside and play in the snow, even if it meant getting soaked.

Can we have a Christmas do-over?

The problem with a Christmas do-over is that it means even more days until spring. :(

btrage

Cyburbian
Just on dusting of snow here on the east side of Metro Detroit. No accumulation, but it's now cold and windy.

Like Maister alluded to, the schools my girls used to go to in the Grand Rapids area - closed. He's right, so lame.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Just got back from the basement of our four-story office building after tornado warnings were issued. We had unseasonably mild weather (65F) ahead of a strong front that developed a line of storms. It got pretty nasty-looking outside my west-facing windows and a weather blog reported a tornado sighting about 4 miles n/w, so we high-tailed it downstairs. An earlier line this morning apparently did some damage near historic Madison, In, about 50 miles n/e of here, but no damage reports locally, thankfully.:-o

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
At around midnight in the Fox Valley, it is 1 degree with a wind chill of minus 9. We're under a Winter Storm Warning for Friday, as about 4 to 8 inches of snow is expected across much of the Chicago area.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
4 at my house this morning. I didn't even look at wind chill. I love it when my car thinks about whether it wants to start or not in this weather.... I need a garage.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
6:48 a.m. 550, high today 760

Another brutal winter day in N. Texas.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's about 10 here right now. At least there is no wind to speak of.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was a balmy 6º this morning at 5:00 a.m. when I left the house for my Friday morning constitutional. I was bundled up pretty well and it didn't really bother me, but the girl at the coffee shop told me I had a pretty good growth of icicles going on my eyebrows when I walked in.