• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio

The expected snowfall for Metro Toledo was in the 3" to 6" range. Looks to me like about 2" (at the most) fell on Bear's sidewalk. The local TV weather dudes are all playing-up their abilities (or lack thereof) to accurately forecast weather, including amounts of snow. For last Friday's minor storm one station predicted 7", another 4", and another 1". The correct answer was 1". Super-Doppler Jumbo-Tron Accuracast Predicto Roboto Climate Gizmo. So cool. :-c

Yesterday morning it was a bit "nipply". Temperature when I wandered to the office was -1F. This morning it is back in the upper teens and low twenties. Expecting 40F on Monday so what little snow we have will be washed away. I don't think we have even reached 10" of the white stuff yet. If all the rain that fell in December and January would have been snow we would have accumulated about 60" of snow.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio's unusual winter continues.....local forecasters are now saying that the temperature will reach 50F on Monday. With rain. Lots of rain. It is now Sunday morning and the temperature is at or around 25F. Today 40F. Temps rising through the night, with possible thunderstorms. This occasionally occurs in NW Ohio once every winter but not continually. Once again I say, "It's those rocket ships!" :-c:D

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just a bit scary
day1otlk_1300.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Thunderstorms in Northern Illinois in late January at 12:30am CST. It may be only 40 degrees, but a light rain is coming down and I'm hearing thunder about every 10-15 minutes.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Woke at 2.30 AM to very strong winds and rain driven horizontally hitting the house. The front passed through in literally a few minutes. Occasional loud thunder a little later, but nothing worse than that. I hate overnight severe weather as a parent.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio, Again

Seems like the "same ole, same ole" for our NW Ohio weather. A day of light snow with daytime high temperatures in the low 30F range. Followed by a cold and rainy day or two with temps in the low 40F range. Strangest January, weather-wise, in many a moon. Plus.....we are approaching Groundhog Day.

Seems like the "same ole, same ole" for our NW Ohio weather. A day of light snow with daytime high temperatures in the low 30F range. Followed by a cold and rainy day or two with temps in the low 40F range. Strangest January, weather-wise, in many a moon. Plus.....we are approaching Groundhog Day.

Bear :D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Two winter weather observations I will make:

1) Given the choice between it being 1 degree outside or it being 20 outside but a wind chill equaling 1 degree, I will take the regular 1 degree temperature every time.

2) It's late January and we are in that time of year I sometimes refer to as the 'bowels of winter' where you start to get sick and tired of winter weather and begin to wish for spring to come.....this has been an unusually mild winter, but for some reason I still feel like we are in the 'bowels of winter'. When can I plant my garden?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We got about 4" of wet, heavy snow at my house yesterday afternoon. But since it is supposed to get near 40º today with some light rain, I did not bother getting out the snow shovel. Then on Tuesday and Wednesday, it should be up around 50º. So far this year I have yet to even get the snow shovel out of the attic above the garage. I still don't know why I decided to put it up there but there it remains...

I'm glad we at least got this little bit of snow yesterday so I had a chance to see the neighborhood all nice and snow-covered before I leave for warmer climes tomorrow for a few weeks.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I am watering the lawn today.

My water bill took a one month break: $72 in January. This month $110. It has rained only twice since November. My mulberry tree took a hint and finally dropped its leaves this month. Average high so far this month? 72 degrees. It was 80 on Saturday. I love me a mild winter, but this is ridiculous.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It's January 31st, and it's 55 degrees in Northern Illinois, with a forecast high close to 60. The forecast for the rest of the week calls for highs in the mid 40s and partly cloudy skies.

At this time last year, people were bracing for the Groundhog Day Blizzard, which brought the area about 20 inches of snow and 50-70mph winds, killed about a dozen people in Illinois alone, and virtually shut down the region for several days. (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=2011blizzard)

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It's February 7, and here in WNY, we've had no winter. It's like we're living 200 or so miles south or 500 miles east along the coast. It's been the 2nd warmest winter ever recorded in Buffalo (Warm Winter).

Here in the Southern Tier where we normally measure snow cover in feet not inches by this time of year, we don't have any snow on the ground except on the forested north facing slopes of hills. The traditional "ice castle" at the Winter Carnival in Mayville will not be happening this year because Chautauqua Lake isn't frozen. Snowmobile tourism is a big deal in this county as we have hundreds of miles of groomed trails that attract snowmobilers from all over the East and Midwest, but there has probably only been about 2 weeks when there was enough snow on the ground to even get the sleds out.

With Lake Erie at 36 degrees and unlikely to freeze this year, we'll remain vulnerable to lake effect snow storms through March. The thing is, since we haven't gotten any arctic blasts yet, will we get any at all? Apparently, the frigid air masses from northern Canada that usually give us cold and snow from November through March either aren't developing or aren't sinking far enough south to reach us.

Where ever winter is, it ain't here.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's February 7, and here in WNY, we've had no winter. It's like we're living 200 or so miles south or 500 miles east along the coast. It's been the 2nd warmest winter ever recorded in Buffalo (Warm Winter).

Here in the Southern Tier where we normally measure snow cover in feet not inches by this time of year, we don't have any snow on the ground except on the forested north facing slopes of hills. The traditional "ice castle" at the Winter Carnival in Mayville will not be happening this year because Chautauqua Lake isn't frozen. Snowmobile tourism is a big deal in this county as we have hundreds of miles of groomed trails that attract snowmobilers from all over the East and Midwest, but there has probably only been about 2 weeks when there was enough snow on the ground to even get the sleds out.

With Lake Erie at 36 degrees and unlikely to freeze this year, we'll remain vulnerable to lake effect snow storms through March. The thing is, since we haven't gotten any arctic blasts yet, will we get any at all? Apparently, the frigid air masses from northern Canada that usually give us cold and snow from November through March either aren't developing or aren't sinking far enough south to reach us.

Where ever winter is, it ain't here.

We're in much the same boat in SW MI. Our annual snowfall so far is less than some single snow events we experience most years. It's like we moved to Evansville IN. I wonder how this will affect the garden season in 2012?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Winter temp here - daytime high forecast is 33.
right now it is 21 w/ windchill of 9.

but is sunny and no snow for now.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Feels Like Winter

Much the same "lament" or "yahoo!" words skidding around NW Ohio. In the second half of January and the first week of February the Toledo weather center reported something like 18 straight days with temperatures above normal. That even included some days in the 50F range, nearly 20 degrees above normal. This weekend it is more typical of winter around these parts, with low temps in the single digits (or very close) and high temps about 28F. Next week.....back to above-normal temps.

Snowfall is way below normal, too. I can look out my window this morning and see the two inches that fell on Friday night.....one of the few times that my baby blues see fluffy flakes this winter.

Should note: Baseball spring training is just around the corner. :)

Bear

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
27.5 °F
Pressure: 29.19 in
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3400 ft
Humidity: 69%

Nice snowfall yesterday. Felt like winter for once.

8fPPi.jpg

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Winter lasted about 2 hours here yesterday in SE Texas. It was a pretty gloomy day with temps in the upper 30's and wind. It actually sleeted here for a bit and the first 10 minutes of the late news last night was dedicated to this "breaking weather" http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8541174 . As a recent transplant to Texas from the midwest this response was funny to see. I went to the grocery store last evening and it was funny seeing all the people in the parking lot looking up watching the light sleet falling.

Today back to reality with temps in the 60's and a chance of some severe thunderstorms. It is supposed to be sunny and almost 75 tomorrow. :h:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Snowed on and off from Friday - Sunday. Today cold but with sunny skies. Tomorrow they're talking about the 40's. This is the most reluctant winter I can recall. At least Junior got to go sledding to his heart's content this weekend.....okay, not to his heart's content (daddy, just two more runs....), but to mine at any rate.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
They are forecasting a nasty evening and morning on the panhandle. But they forecast a nasty afternoon which didn't happen. We shall see.
We are in a tornado watch until 9:00 pm.

Tomorrow afternoon looks good enough for some nude sunbathing.

Planit

Cyburbian
Saturday - high of 65, light breeze (great for golf)
Sunday - high 43 (@ 9:00 am), windy and continued falling, then snowed an inch starting @ 5:00

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Saturday - high of 65, light breeze (great for golf)
Sunday - high 43 (@ 9:00 am), windy and continued falling, then snowed an inch starting @ 5:00

Basically the same here...got a little bit of snow and a two hour delay this morning! About to go out, scrap my car and cruise into work. :h:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Finally got some more snow around here. It was a real wet yet fluffy snow that sticks to everything, including signs and trees. Really pretty on the trees. Snowfall ranged from about 6 to 8 inches in the far northern and northwest suburbs of Chicago to 4 inches where I'm at in the far western suburbs, and a couple inches further south.

Still, this winter has been very mild and I'm sure we're still well-below average in our snowfall for the season so far.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
IP we were told we were going to get 6 inches too with less to the South. Turns out we got hardly anything. By the time the second wave got here early this morning it was warm enough to be rain. Hardly budged my commute time.

The big issue we are hearing is that we will have an early mud season and those with allergies will be in a world of hurt as there was never a proper freeze time. On the pluse side, the roads are in much better shape and the area saved a bunch of OT on winter crews/salt/pot holes. THis will probably lead to less salt damage to the roadside vegetation as well.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
IP we were told we were going to get 6 inches too with less to the South. Turns out we got hardly anything. By the time the second wave got here early this morning it was warm enough to be rain. Hardly budged my commute time...

I was thoroughly unimpressed with the snowfall totals overnight. I skipped waking up early to go to the gym today with plans to get the heart rate up by shoveling 8" of heavy snow from the driveway. When I did wake up and look out the window, we had maybe an inch on the grass and absolutely nothing on the driveway. The Class 3 Killstorm never arrived. :-{

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
How can the two local TV weather stations (Vipir and Titan), claim to be able to forecast the weather better than the other when they use the same radar images from Eglin AFB and Tallahassee Regional Airport and the same information from the national weather service? And get this: they've screwed up the forecasts all this past week!! I don't get it. :wall: :science: :facepalm:

Anyway, it's cold and clammy on the FL panhandle today. I don't need Vipir and Titan radar to tell me that. Not a pleasant day.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
How can the two local TV weather stations (Vipir and Titan), claim to be able to forecast the weather better than the other when they use the same radar images from Eglin AFB and Tallahassee Regional Airport and the same information from the national weather service? And get this: they've screwed up the forecasts all this past week!! I don't get it. :wall: :science: :facepalm:

Anyway, it's cold and clammy on the FL panhandle today. I don't need Vipir and Titan radar to tell me that. Not a pleasant day.

It's 40 with 30-40mph wind today around here. Quit complaining...at least you have a hot tub :D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Non-winter continues in the lower Great Lakes. Snowfall totals are down, temperatures (for the most part) have been staying above-normal. Cold this morning in NW Ohio (about 19F) but we expect temperatures by Tuesday and Wednesday to be way above normal, perhaps hugging 60F. March will come in like a warm lamb.

The northern Great Lakes are expecting heavy, wet snow for the next 36 hours. Even up north the snowfall totals are unimpressive.

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It's 42 damn degrees here and so clammy even the patio loving cat won't go out. We have the fireplace going and are imbibing wine to cope.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
.....Even up north the snowfall totals are unimpressive.

Bear

I sit corrected. The Keweenaw Peninsula (Upper Peninsula slab of land.....that pointy thing sticking into Lake Superior) is at 140 inches. Considerably below normal for them. But 140 inches of snow is still a lot of snow. Nastrovia!

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Still so cold and clammy I gave RJ the choice of frozen pizza or grilling a slab of baby-backs, and he took the frozen pizza instead of trying to grill. This is where you go out and your sweatshirt gets damp from the cold humidity, so I can't blame him.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got hit with a foot of snow last Fri. The impulse to complain about it has not arisen, since we have yet to see winter this year.

btrage

Cyburbian
Got hit with a foot of snow last Fri. The impulse to complain about it has not arisen, since we have yet to see winter this year.

It looks like Southwest Michigan got it the worst this year in terms of snow. Not even the Grand Rapids area appears to have received major snow, at least compared to the average.

During my commute in the Metrot Detroit area this winter, I've only had 2-3 days where my commute was affected/slowed down by the weather.