• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
First day of spring, Hipstamatic edition.

MOSg5.jpg

IJrB7.jpg

WZ5rz.jpg

i3ZJJ.jpg

h6iGK.jpg

ZIUuz.jpg

une5c.jpg

ip0wF.jpg

lth3a.jpg

wgQ3A.jpg

FdWsZ.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I like the 'benchwarmers' pic with the crunchy moms and their nursing attire in the foreground. Probably breastfeeding their babies organic carrot juice.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Currently:

Temperature: 80.1 °F
Feels Like: 81 °F
Dew Point: 61 °F
Humidity: 52%
Wind: SSE at 0.0 mph
Coastal Water Temperature: 75.0 °F

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Another early summer day. Sunny, temperatures in the low 80s.

RsIn5.jpg

F2F7i.jpg

0VUtQ.jpg

BQPX4.jpg

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hmm...Marquette, MI at some point this weekend?

Ding, ding! Yes, Lake Superior sands called on St. Paddy's Day weekend and young folks, likely from Northern Michigan University, wandered down to the beach. Wandered down to a beach that usually still has snow drifts and some ice on the water when it is late March. What a strange year.

Bear

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
A beautiful spring day in SE Texas! Sunny and low 60's this morning, upper 70's-near 80 this afternoon. Too damn nice to be stuck inside at work! :h: Only downside is all the pollen, although the rain the other day helped some!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Absolutely perfect yesterday. Sunny, 73º/23º.

Txy2h.jpg

Yd2pE.jpg

vaFd4.jpg

sN4Jm.jpg

VUXKV.jpg

fN0g2.jpg

tI04l.jpg

wCNu8.jpg

Overcast and in the 50s this morning.

MUjf6.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
[ot]
Absolutely perfect yesterday. Sunny, 73º/23º.

VUXKV.jpg

I started a thread one time about public art. If I had had this image I would have included it as an example of good public art; it's whimsical, accessible, functional, and changes every time someone different 'uses' it.[/ot]

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[OT]
I started a thread one time about public art. If I had had this image I would have included it as an example of good public art; it's whimsical, accessible, functional, and changes every time someone different 'uses' it.

Last year, our final stop on my son's 7th/8th grade class trip to DC was a walk through the FDR memorial. One of the features is a sculpture of a half dozen or so folks standing in a bread line. It's perfectly spaced for people to intersperse themselves between the various people in the queue, and you can tell by the rub marks on the bronze figures that a lot of folks do so. My son absolutely and steadfastly refused. He claimed that cutting in the line was not the intent of the artist and it would be wrong to do so. When his Asperger's mind locks in like that, he's more stubborn than a mule.[/OT]

wahday

Cyburbian
Supposed to be in the mid to upper 70s today. This is usually a volatile weather time with big temperature changes and major winds here. Weekend before last Sunday AM I woke up to 1/4 inch of snow. Went for a bike ride and by the time I returned at 2pm it was a little over 60. Last weekend I rode on Saturday and it was 15 mph winds coming back. Annoying, but tolerable. Sunday was 35 mph winds, dusty and low visibility. It wasn't even safe to be outside at times...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
There aren't very many obese people in Dan's photos. If you were to walk around the downtown here, they'd be everywhere. I guess I got used to it and don't really notice any more.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Today, it's been kind of cloudy with off-and-on showers. However, the past 9 consecutive days saw record-breaking high temperatures and mostly pleasant weather in the Chicago area. 8 of those days saw highs in the low to mid 80s! In this past week or so, the grass has turned green, and many trees and shrubs have started to bloom.

This is very unusual and unprecedented. Even in April, we don't usually have stretches of 80-degree temperatures like this.

While the record breaking warmth is coming to an end, the extended forecast still calls for temps mostly in the 60s, which is still nice for this time of year.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
It's 73 outside but it's 80 in my office. Not going to stay here much longer if the air doesn't kick in soon.

wahday

Cyburbian
72 now. Should be 81 tomorrow. I'm taking off early tomorrow and going for a nice long bike ride...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
New records for March -

THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE FOR THIS MARCH WAS 59.4 DEGREES SHATTERING THE OLD RECORD OF 57.2 DEGREES SET IN 1910.
MARCH 2012 EXPERIENCED 7 DAYS OF TEMPERATURES GREATER THAN OR EQUAL TO 80 DEGREES...BREAKING THE OLD RECORD OF 5 DAYS SET IN 2007 AND 1910.
NEW AFTERNOON HIGHS WERE SET ON 5 CONSECUTIVE DAYS AND 6 OUT OF 8 CONSECUTIVE DAYS.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sunny, 58°/15°.

YJKWc.jpg

For the 4chan/Reddit crowd.

jIg4w.jpg

ROZZERS! It's marked: black text on a black surface.

CoPkA.jpg

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Hope our Dallas, TX area members are okay. Scary video of the tornado throwing semi-truck trailers in the air like leaves. :-c

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Hope our Dallas, TX area members are okay. Scary video of the tornado throwing semi-truck trailers in the air like leaves. :-c

My best friend lives in Dallas, she is on lock down at her place of employment (a community college). Scary stuff out there!

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian

My office is o.k., not sure how much damage in my neighborhood or just where the tornados hit. I've got a class tonight so I hope there's a house when I get home.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
ofos, good to see you checking in and happy to see you're safe.

Thanks, RJ. This one was scary. I was out on the road headed back to my office when I heard the sirens go off. At about the same time, the radio said that the storm would hit my city at approx. 2:55. I looked at my watch and it was 2:54.

Has Salmissra checked in? She lives out in the area where one of the tornados went through.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Yesterday in downtown was scary and weird! Once the sirens started blaring, here at City Hall we were told to seek shelter downstairs in the lower levels. Other locations moved to interior hallways and rooms.

The drive home was crazy, but my neighborhood was still there. We had hail, high winds, tree limbs in the streets, etc. but the house was still standing without any visible damage. Need to get the roof checked soon.

The areas hardest hit were victims of more than one twister. We had one in the east, another to the north, just crazy!!

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Glad all of our Dallas-area cyburbians are safe! Amazing that no fatalites have been reported...God Bless Texas.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Very glad to hear y'all are okay. My sister lives in Mesquite and teaches in DISD south of downtown. She said they held the kids until 4.30 and that it was pretty scary but thankfully everything was alright. Man, I hate twisters...:-o

boiker

Cyburbian
I'm a weather fanatic, studied meteorology for a time in college, storm chased quite a bit and have been a certified storm spotter for years (although I don't get much spotting in Arizona)

I put up a weather blog. look at it and enjoy.

http://wxboik.blogspot.com

Bubba

Cyburbian
Looks like we might actually get at least one day of Spring here in the ATL - temps are supposed to stay in the 60s today.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Freeze Watch here. County Next Door to the north - Freeze Warning.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After experiencing summer-like weather in March, I feel like things are shaping up to be more spring-like and typical for the month of April...with topsy-turvy weather ranging from the 40s to the 70s, depending on the day. Last weekend was beautiful...60 degree weather and picture-perfect on Easter. However, we've had temps in the 40s and 50s the past few days with lots of wind, and with freeze warnings tonight. And 70 degree temps and t-storms are on tap as we move closer towards the weekend. Yep, now that's more like Illinois weather.

On another weather-related note, I'm excited because local iconic Chicago meteorologist Tom Skilling (from WGN) will be speaking as part of a severe weather seminar at a facility right near my house this weekend. And the other topics and speakers sound interesting too. This weather nerd plans on going.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Last week's storms in this area produced 17 tornadoes! :-c:-c

My hometown had what was originally thought of as heavy storms/high winds/hail, but now the Weather Powers are saying it was a Class F0 tornado. Wow. I mean - WOW! 8-!

Our insurance adjuster is coming later to look at the roof. I am just fine with being a lower level priority, since my house is still standing and has a roof. So far no leaks, but I want to be sure it'll hold up. Others in the area are not so lucky. On my street several cars look like they were in a demolition derby, and lots of tarps over skylights. There were lots of tree limbs down, and some hail still in the yard when I got home that day.

None of my coworkers were hard hit. We were all here huddled in the basement, and our cars underground. For a couple of the commuters, there was some minor hail damage to cars at transit stations, but no one was hurt or lost a home.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Its wrong that I had to wear tights and a winter jacket today...April 11th. I guess Mother nature is getting back at us for that beautiful March.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_module.php?id=960

The COMET Program is pleased to announce the publication of "Weather Radar Fundamentals." This 2-hour module is intended as an introduction to the basic principles of Doppler weather radar operation and interpretation. It can also serve as a refresher for more experienced users. In addition to discussing the science behind radars, the module provides examples and practice exercises for interpreting reflectivity and velocity products for a variety of fair weather and precipitating weather situations.

Please follow this link to the MetEd description page that provides additional information and a link to begin the module: Weather Radar Fundamentals.

Most COMET modules use JavaScript and Adobe® Flash® for navigation, animation, and/or presentation of multimedia elements. Ensure that you have a browser updated to its latest version with JavaScript enabled and the latest version of the Adobe FlashPlayer installed (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/). For technical support for this module please visit our Registration and Support FAQs at https://www.meted.ucar.edu/resources_faq.php

We welcome any comments or questions you may have regarding the content, instructional approach, or use of this module. Please e-mail your comments or questions to Vickie Johnson (vjohnson@ucar.edu).

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It was in the 50s-60s this morning and the humidity was so low (33%) that the kid and I spent 3 solid hours doing yard work, and never broke a sweat. And I was in jeans and a long-sleeve tee. :D

mgk920

Cyburbian
Sounds like some 'PDS' tornado watches for the mid-plains today.

8-!

Stay safe!

Mike

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Watching coverage of the tornadoes on the Weather Channel. You know the situation is serious when the folks at the National Weather Service office in Wichita have to take cover and have to pass off warning duties to another office. To quote the warning product, "a large, extremely dangerous and potentially deadly tornado is on the ground". The tornado is approaching Wichita right now. Hope our friends in Kansas, Oklahoma, and elsewhere are staying safe. I think ICT-316 lives in Wichita...hope he's in a safe place.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Rough night in Tornado Alley last night. Hunker down folks, it's not over yet.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They are calling for up to 18" of snow tonight in parts of PA and upstate NY! The jet stream is acting just plain crazy this year. Late April snowstorms are not unheard of, but one would expect maybe 3-4" not 18" :-|

Planit

Cyburbian
They are calling for up to 18" of snow tonight in parts of PA and upstate NY! The jet stream is acting just plain crazy this year. Late April snowstorms are not unheard of, but one would expect maybe 3-4" not 18" :-|

and its a very wet heavy snow too = lots of trees down.
Dan, you hadn't put your snow boots away had you?

jsk1983

Cyburbian
and its a very wet heavy snow too = lots of trees down.
Dan, you hadn't put your snow boots away had you?

Sounds like it could be arborgaeden all over again. About 5-6 years ago Buffalo got maybe two feet of very heavy snow in October when the leaves were still on the trees. Given the weight of the snow and leaves, tress were falling down left and right.