• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Otis

Cyburbian
Perfect Weekend on the Oregon Coast

We had bright sunshine and temperatures in the 60's with little wind all weekend. Wonderful weather for walking the beach, which we did, and generally doing outdoors stuff. The typical summer-time north wind came up in the evening and the result is fog this morning.

Just a few weeks ago we had snow. Snow itself is unusual here, but this one was late and very, very heavy (as in weighty). We had less than 6" but many, many, many trees came down. Of the four shore pines in our front yard (20' tall, twisted, gnarly, spreading), all were heavily damaged, and one was completely destroyed. Two of the remaining three may not make it over the long term. A 20+ year old myrtle bush in our side yard, with a trunk over 6" in diameter, also was desrtoyed, taking out out fence as well.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
They are calling for up to 18" of snow tonight in parts of PA and upstate NY! The jet stream is acting just plain crazy this year. Late April snowstorms are not unheard of, but one would expect maybe 3-4" not 18" :-|

Thankfully, the snow is not expected to hit all of upstate New York. The weather today has alternated between rain and overcast skies, with temps in the upper 50s; we even saw some sunshine. I've already packed up my winter coat and Bean boots.

A friend who lives in the Rochester area posted a photo this AM showing heavy snow and trees down in her backyard; she said her cable was out and the schools were closed.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
After a cold (really cold at times), wet, blustery week in the D.C. area, it was good to wake up to a cloudless, 80 d.+ day back in the FL panhandle. 5 hours by the pool. Aaaahhhh.:D

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Nude by the pool and skinny dipping is a good thing. So are garden improvements. Including the area around our front door.

DSC00587_2_1.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Lazy Sunday. Sunny, 70s, a barely discernible breeze.

OoeZQ.jpg

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Massive thunderstorms, at least 2 inches of rain after noon, and then.... the heavens opened; in a good way. Yeah, around 2 p.m. the storms sucked all the moisture to the northeast and we got a couple hours sun time. RJ's still out there, sound asleep. Guess I have to wake him up in time to grill ribs.

Planit

Cyburbian
Rain. It started yesterday about 2:00 pm and hasn't stopped yet. It's wet, very wet. Rainy day.

Richmond Jake

Current conditions:

81 °F (27 °C) Fair
Humidity: 76 %
Wind Speed: W 14 MPH
Barometer: 29.87" (1011.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 72 °F (22 °C)
Heat Index: 86 °F (30 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi

Summer has arrived on the panhandle.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Current conditions:

81 °F (27 °C) Fair
Humidity: 76 %
Wind Speed: W 14 MPH
Barometer: 29.87" (1011.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 72 °F (22 °C)
Heat Index: 86 °F (30 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi

Summer has arrived on the panhandle.

No kidding. I was compelled to fix myself a nice frosty margarita while I was lounging by the pool this afternoon....:D :-$

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Summer-like temperatures invaded the Great Lakes area of this great country over the weekend. Near 90F Saturday, expecting 87F today. Tomorrow, some of them thunder-bumpers. Normal high in NW Ohio is probably about 70F at this pointe :D in May.

Bear

Richmond Jake

5:00 p.m. conditions on the panhandle....

Fair
84 °F (29 °C)
Humidity: 79 %
Wind Speed: SW 12 MPH
Barometer: 30.02" (1016.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 77 °F (25 °C)
Heat Index: 94 °F (34 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After temps in the lower 90s last weekend, it looks like we're poised for another warm weekend across Chicagoland, with a forecast high of 95 on Sunday, and 90 on Monday.

Oh, and also, it was so windy yesterday that there was a dust storm, reducing visibility to near-zero on I-88 between DeKalb and Aurora, causing a serious traffic accident which shut down the highway.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hot Fun In The (Nearly) Summertime

Yesterday in Toledo it was 93F, quite warm for the Glass City in late May. Sunday and Memorial Day we are expecting temps to reach the mid-90F range. Whoa! :-c

Chance of storms, possibly severe, Monday night.

Bear

Richmond Jake

5:00 pm on the panhandle.

Thunderstorm
89 °F (32 °C)
Humidity: 59 %
Wind Speed: S 15 MPH
Barometer: 29.80" (1010.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 73 °F (23 °C)
Heat Index: 97 °F (36 °C)
Visibility: 8.00 mi

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Forecast for Thursday

Periods of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 9am.
Some of the storms could be severe. High near 77. East wind at 7 mph becoming south southwest.
Chance of precipitation is 100%.

From the Storm Prediction Center:
on the edge of 30% Severe Probability

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After very warm and sunny weather we've had in Chicagoland lately, today it rained almost all day (and it's still raining), with temps in the upper 40s and lower 50s. Very dreary. More like late October than late May if you ask me. We needed the rain though...just not the cold. It should be better this weekend and next week though...so I really can't complain.

kms

Cyburbian
Tornado warning here until 9 PM. Right now we have a nice, steady rain shower, the kind of rain you like to get.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Sunny and 78 degrees. Why am I in the office? Rhetorical question.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear, lumbering through NW Ohio, is now experiencing low-50F temperatures, with rain. Like many in the Great Lakes area, we need the rain. More rain for the weekend and the temps will continue to slightly warm-up each day. What a change from Memorial Day, when Toledo had their highest temperature EVER (recorded) in the month of May....96F.

And for those who love summer and long days.....just a few weeks until the days start getting shorter. Bwaaaa haaaaa haaaaa..... :6::6::6:

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hot Weekend

NW Ohio gearing-up for a hot weekend. Low 90F temps Saturday and Sunday. Rain on the docket for Monday and cooler temps sliding in after that. Sum-sum-summertime in NW Ohio.

Bear

Richmond Jake

A little sticky this afternoon... :-c

A Few Clouds
85 °F (29 °C)
Humidity: 91 %
Wind Speed: S 14 MPH
Barometer: 30.06" (1018.0 mb)
Dewpoint: 82 °F (28 °C)
Heat Index: 102 °F (39 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

boiker

Cyburbian
about 102-103 today in Phoenix. Reasonable seasonable. Felt nice, actually due to the extreme dryness right now. I'm looking forward to monsoon kicking in.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So sad... it was 95 here yesterday... and I enjoyed it. :-c

But then again, I was chest deep in Lake Michigan where the water temp was causing peoples lips to turn blue. :-$

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
So sad... it was 95 here yesterday... and I enjoyed it. :-c

But then again, I was chest deep in Lake Michigan where the water temp was causing peoples lips to turn blue. :-$

Have the missing parts reappeared yet? I grew up within 30 minutes of Warren Dunes and Memorial Day weekend was always the first trip into Lake Michigan each year. Never stayed in long until about the 4th.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Have the missing parts reappeared yet? I grew up within 30 minutes of Warren Dunes and Memorial Day weekend was always the first trip into Lake Michigan each year. Never stayed in long until about the 4th.

The term is LSD...;) and being a native Yooper, it has to be below 40 for it to occur.:-c I was lucky that the water was in the 50's. :D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear jumped in Lake Superior every time I was moseying along the shore.....except the few winter and fall trips that I took. Yes, LSD was very much a "part" (missing! :-c:-$) of the adventure, 'specially noticeable because usually I was in boonie areas sans swim wear. One year the lake was incredibly warm in late August and about a dozen of us, mass campout west of Whitefish Point, did an "assembled giant moon". As the unsuspecting viewers walked up the beach toward us I remember my friend Tom saying, "Mingle. Look like you are mingling, then when I say go, turn around, jump high." it was awesome. :)
_____

Weather here in NW Ohio.....quite normal, sunny, mid-70F temperatures for the next few days. Had some rain on Monday but not nearly enough to satisfy those who make their living with regular rainfall. Rain is in the long-range forecast, late next weekend.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Vanilla

Very average temperatues here in NW Ohio. Talkin' high 70Fs to low 80Fs. Maybe some rain late tonight or Monday. We could use more rain.....our grass usually browns in mid-July and this year it assumed the position in mid-June. Who cares?.....Katie cuts the grass, anyhooo. :D

It was really hot this past week.....mid-90F range for a number of days.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Under a Burn Ban.
NWS reports the drought will go from severe to extreme this week.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
This forecast Svcks -

Thursday: hot, with a high near 103.
Friday: hot, with a high near 104.
Saturday: hot, with a high near 101.
Sunday: hot, with a high near 101..
Monday: hot, with a high near 101.

and my electric bill for my A/C is going to be equally high.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Anticipating Hazardous Weather and Community Risk,

Interesting training - I am going to submit it for the self reporting CM credits

The COMET Program is pleased to announce the publication of the new module, "Anticipating Hazardous Weather and Community Risk, 2nd Edition". This 8 to 9-hour module provides information about weather, forecasting, hazards related to weather and non-weather events, and the warning partnership. Learners are encouraged to complete various components of a hazards plan, including a threats analysis and effective alert messages. Chapter 6 follows the events before, during, and after the 1997 flash flood in Fort Collins, Colorado, and provides opportunities to test your own decision-making skills and Emergency Operations Plan in the context of a life-threatening event.

The intended audience for "Anticipating Hazardous Weather and Community Risk, 2nd Edition" includes emergency managers and others making weather-related decisions. With its broad scope, the module will also likely be useful to students, members of the general public, the media, forecasters, and others involved in the warning partnership. Please follow this link to the MetEd description page that provides additional information and a link to begin the module: Anticipating Hazardous Weather and Community Risk, 2nd Edition
https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_module.php?id=890

This is also listed as FEMA Independent Study IS-271a.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Compared to the wildfires in Colorado and the flooding in Florida, WNY remains a weather paradise. Temps in the 70s and 80s. We had some thunder bumpers Monday or Tuesday, a passing shower today, but nothing that's a problem.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Five-day forecast for Washington, DC, after a nuclear explosion:
Thur 10,000F
Fri 10,000F
Sat 10,000F
Sun 10,000F
Mon 10,000F

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Here's hoping RJ(and ZG)ville was spared from the flooding down there from Tropical Storn Debby..

No worries here, the flooding started a couple counties east of us; those folks really got hammered and they are still evacuating people today as the rivers keep rising.

We did get 4 days of rain/clouds but Debby sucked all the moisture away as she moved east. Today's high was 89 d. with 46% humidity and not a single cloud in the sky. After meeting RJ for an early lunch at our favorite BBQ place, I came home and parked my butt by the pool for a few hours.:D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Today
6 am - 65
9 am - 86
3 pm - 106 broke a record previous high was 102 in 1936.

PRECIP - 0.15" month to date - can you say drought

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
An all-time June record of 103F in Louisville yesterday, with a repeat expected today and close to it through at least Independence Day.

It was an odd heat that built slowly through the morning, then by about 2PM it started shooting up from 92F so that by 5PM, it had maxed and then held that level for quite a while. Thankfully dewpoints are not that high so it was an Arizona-type of heat. Dry or not, it still felt like I was in an oven.:-o

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Potentially 106 here today, maybe the hottest day on record ever in my neck of the woods. The heat index is 115....wishing I could wear flip flops and shorts to work today!