• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
When I went to lunch yesterday it was hot (about 93º) but didn't seem humid so it really wasn't that bad out. When I left work at 4:30 p.m. the temperature on my Jeep's thermometer read 102º and the humidity had skyrocketed. It was downright oppressive when I walked outside. To make matters worse, I have no doors or windows on my Jeep so AC is just pointless.

Today is supposed to be slightly cooler... highs only in the mid-90s. My wife is taking our daughter to the aquatic park in the town next door and I'm sort of wishing I had taken the morning off to join them there. I wish we could get away with shorts in the office on casual day, at least when it's above 90. I think that would be a great perk... maybe I will suggest that.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Excessive Heat Warning thru monday

Broke another temp record - 107 today previous was 103ºF in 1952

Fireworks ban for next 7 days.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
NW Ohio

Still thousands of folks in NW Ohio without power, courtesy the straight-line winds that roared through a number of states on Friday evening. No outages in my neck of the woods but as you wander just south of my location, into counties such as Hancock and Paulding, many meter boxes sit silent. Lots of roads closed due to fallen trees and power lines. The storms produced very little rain for my torn-up yard (thanks to the sewer work and fresh asphalt). If you would have passed my house this morning about 6:00 AM you would have noticed a large bruinish-type watering the green Hydraseed, otherwise known as Hydraweed.

Day after day of plus-90F temps continue. On Thursday we hit 104F, quite high for northern Ohio. The seven-day forecast calls for every day to be above 90F. It needs to rain. Now.

Bear

beach_bum

Cyburbian
I'm so over these excessive heat warnings....103 today, no wind or rain forecasted. I'm ready to get back to low 90s where I can deal!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
105 at 3 pm (broke another temp record - 101ºF in 1933)
85 at 7 pm

thunderstorm passed through.

boiker

Cyburbian
It was cloudy today and right around 20 raindrops hit my windshield at a stoplight. First "rain" I've seen in months. The 4th might even be under 100 in the Valley of the Sun. It hasn't been under 100 since May-- Also, we just had one of the hottest June's on record.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Looking for a "cool" vacation spot right now? Consider WNY, my friends.

Here in Jamestown, we're at 72 now, dewpoint in the low 50s. The five day is highs between 83 and 86, lows in the 60s. Possibly some thunderbumpers on Tuesday, but not much chance of rain.

Buffalo will be a little warmer ... mid to upper 80s with a nice breeze off Lake Erie.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions on the panhandle:

Fair
88°F 31°C
Humidity 80%
Wind Speed SW 10 mph
Barometer 30.01 in (1016.5 mb)
Dewpoint 81°F (27°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 106°F (41°C)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rain!

Our Swanton village burg finally got some much-needed rain. Rained nearly 2 inches in a short amount of time. Nice! This happened Sunday evening. We were again spared the big storms. This time they slid across Lake Erie's Western Basin, creating some water spouts while they roared, and pounded Catawba Island. Catawba Island isn't really an island.....it is a peninsula filled with expensive homes, fancy resorts, cliff-side dwelliings with lake waters crashing on those cliffs, and one of the three ferry services that service the real islands: South Bass, Middle Bass, North Bass, and Kelley's. A friend was on the Miller Ferry when the storm was hitting Catawba Point. He told me the ferry slowed way down to miss the brunt of the storm. It did hail a bit on the ferry as it idled across the lake.

More 90F temps here in NW Ohio for the next week or so. Should return to normal mid-80F temps next week. Fingers crossed.

Bear

Richmond Jake

It's 4:30 on the 4th of July after a day of clouds and rain and now the sun decides to come out. Frackinrackinbackincracklinjacklin...what ever. :-{

kms

Cyburbian
We've been in a thunderstorm for about 2 hours now. Wind, rain, and a little hail. There's a lot of water in my yard, thanks to the new paving job, so the borough manager will get a call from me tomorrow. My walkway seems to be the primary conveyance from the street, and I cant have this when the weather turns cold.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Lucky me, it got unusally cool in Phoenix yesterday. High of only about 81, mostly cloudy all day, and some light rain (finally!). The clouds cleared up right in time for the fireworks displays to start, and the moon was bright. It was about 72 around the time of viewing in the evening. Absolutely perfect weather and something that almost never happens in Phoenix in July!

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Looking for a "cool" vacation spot right now? Consider WNY, my friends.

Here in Jamestown, we're at 72 now, dewpoint in the low 50s. The five day is highs between 83 and 86, lows in the 60s. Possibly some thunderbumpers on Tuesday, but not much chance of rain.

Buffalo will be a little warmer ... mid to upper 80s with a nice breeze off Lake Erie.

I was just there. Now back in Chicago with predicted high of over 100.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Just back from my road trip, TX-AR-MO-IL-KY-IN-MI-IN-MI-OH-IN-KY-IL-MO-AR-TX. Most of the two weeks, it was hotter wherever I was than it was in Texas. Looks like that's going to be the pattern for the next couple weeks. It's greener here in North Texas than it was in any of the other states. Of course, if they weren't highly drought tolerant plants last year,they're already dead.

wahday

Cyburbian
We also got some rain and sweet relief. It is a bit muggy, but the cloud cover yesterday and the rain last night started the day off much cooler than it has been. Hoping for more showers this weekend!

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Derechos

Here's an interesting piece on derechos from TWC. The one that hit Ohio, KY, and the Mid Atlantic last week is listed among them.

Derechos

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
High temps the past seven days: 103, 105, 104, 103, 100, 97, 102, and currently 101.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Going on a week of highs >95! Yesterday it was 102 with a heat index of 111! That's more than this Michigander was designed to endure

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
High temps the past seven days: 103, 105, 104, 103, 100, 97, 102, and currently 101.

I need to fix that -- yesterday ended up with a high of 104F. The forecast is for the same neighborhood today and tomorrow, though as dry as the ground is here in Louisville, I think we could flirt with the all-time record of 107F. With two more triple-digit heat days, we'll move into third place for most in any year (behind 11 in '54 and a whopping 16 in '36).:h:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Heavy Storms & A Tragedy

Sad news at my workplace. The brother of a 2nd Shift employee was killed when a tree fell on his car, breaking his neck. He was only in his mid-30s. As the storms and heavy rain hit the western suburbs of Toledo on Thursday afternoon he ran from his house to his brand new SUV to close the windows. The tree blew over, killing him. This happened in the suburb of Holland, hard hit by the straight-line winds that were clocked with gusts over 90mph. Hundreds of trees are down in Holland, Springfield Township, Sylvania Township, and Sylvania. Power is still out to thousands of Toledo Edison users.

The neighborhood hit the hardest (where the man died) is called Lincoln Green. Modest, middle class homes, ranches, bi-levels and tri-levels. My ex-wife lived there for years (before wandering off to Philadelphia). This is the neighborhood where then-candidate Barack Obama went door-to-door shaking residents hands (4 years ago). You might remember one of those residents.....Joe the Plumber.

My workplace, in Sylvania Township, lost power for 12 hours. Last year, as part of our path to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), I wrote the required Power Outage Procedure for our business. I was a "mad man" after the outage started, going all through the facility to make sure everybody was following the policy guidelines. For instance, in our huge warehouse the emergency lights do not penetrate the very-narrow aisles where our forklifts move products. The policy indicates that all forklifts must come to a stop so as not to put anybody in an injury situation. Supervisors with flashlights are supposed to check all aisles and assist any forklift operators to designated locations. Our Maintenance Team must hit the shut-off switches on all equipment so when start-up occurs it is not too great a load. Office employees must disable the power strips to their computers. Etc, yadda.
_____

Today we are expecting another plus-100F day. When the front finally moves through later today we will likely see significant storms, some possibly severe. Sunday and on into next week.....normal temperatures for NW Ohio will be the standard.....low-to-mid 80F temps with low humidity. Pleasant.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
HOT

June
28: 107 (old: 102 in 1936)
29: 107 (old: 103 in 1952)
30: 106 (old: 100 in 1952)

July
1: 105 (old: 101 in 1933)
2: 103 (old: 101 in 1933)
3: fell short of 100
4: 103 (old: 101 in 1921)
5: 107 (old: 99 in 1953)
6: 104 (old: 99 in 1930)
7: 105 (fell short of record - 106 in 1936)

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The temperature reached the lower 100s in Chicago for three days in a row from July 4-6, and Rockford for four days in a row from July 4-7. In the far western suburbs where I'm at, it reached the lower 100 two days from July 6-7. The highest temperatures recorded in the area was 105, at various locations. Heat indicies topped 110 most days. Temperatures this high for this long are rare in the Chicago area, and this was easily the hottest heat wave in our area since the infamous 1995 heat wave that killed 700. Luckily, I think public preparation and response to heat waves has been much improved, and I don't think nearly that many people died of heat-related illnesses. A cold front finally came through Saturday July 7 in the late afternoon, bringing some much needed relief. No rain though. The grass has been brown for about a month. We really needed rain in May and June and didn't get much of anything. We have had some wicked storms come through portions of the area recently, including the derecho that devastated parts of the Mid-Atlantic (it also produced damaging winds of 80-90 mph+ across Kendall and Will Counties in Illinois), and also a derecho that affected portions of Kane and DuPage Counties on Sunday July 1st, knocking down trees, power lines, and fences, and knocking out power to almost 300,000. However, these storms were fast moving and therefore didn't produce the rainfall needed to break the drought in the area.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I just got back from several days in the UP... it was nice up there. Several times a day I would check the weather in my city only to be that much happier that I was on the opposite side of the bridge. :)

Downfall is I am worried that my landscape is toast now that I am home. :(

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Suspected 2 heat related deaths in my fair county.

A relative called TODAY asking police to check on the couple because they hadn’t been heard from since July 1 or 2,
inside the home was about 108 degrees when officers arrived.
no ventilation in the home because all the windows and doors were closed.
the officers that were standing outside, they heard the air conditioner kick on … but the outside fan never came on, which indicates to us that the air conditioner wasn’t working.”

Several comments where if you know senior citizens - CHECK ON THEM.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
High gas prices and low temperatures. Highs around here have been in the high 70s and low 80s. It's a little bit warmer than normal, but we seem to be missing out on the heat wave that's got everybody else sweating.

I've known some elderly who actually like hot, stuffy environs.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Sounds like a cool front will pass through tonight with possible rain. Temps tomorrow only in the upper 80's! :r:

I don't mind the heat, but it would be nice to get some rain.

boiker

Cyburbian
Surprise, surprise it's been in the low 100s to about 115 since May. Although July 4th was the coolest July 4th in over 80 years. It was 91. The monsoon moisture has been keeping the temps down a couple degrees in the day and up a couple at night. Those areas that have received rain have gotten inches. Those without have sprinkles. I've basically had sprinkles at my house :-{

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We're in the middle of a very strong thunderstorm; looks like we may be in and out of them for hours. Four warnings have come in on the weather radio in an hour.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
High 80's here today, and very humid. We had a 40% chance of rain, but it was sunny by the pool, so we just had to split a pitcher of margaritas! :D

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been a beautiful day here, lower 80s with a nice breeze and little humidity. Nice after this crazy run of heat and thunderstorms.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Well, we've had a break in the hot, dry weather here in WNY. The high heat ended Wednesday, but we didn't get many thunderstorms as predicted. It started raining on Thursday, quite heavily in some places, and then on Friday we got a general rain that lasted most of the day. This was the first all-day rain I can remember since probably some time in May.

Friday temps were in the 60s, and those persisted into most of Saturday. By the time it finally hit 70, the wind had kicked up and it was definitely sweatshirt weather. Today forecast to be in the low 80s with a stiff breeze from the southwest and a 30% chance of thunderstorms.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We're in the middle of a thunderstorm that you don't see coming, it just pops up right over you. Tremendous thunder and lightning, hitting extremely close to us, and very heavy rain. Luckily, it's not a big storm, so should go thru soon.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We're in the middle of a thunderstorm that you don't see coming, it just pops up right over you. Tremendous thunder and lightning, hitting extremely close to us, and very heavy rain. Luckily, it's not a big storm, so should go thru soon.

Guess I spoke too soon. Another intense storm formed right behind the first one, so we've had over 90 minutes of heavy, heavy storms. Power went off, then cable/internet. And in the middle of it, RJ, who freaks out about the lightning, was talking about taking a long pole with METAL on the end to rake out the storm drain out front! :-c

Hope it's all over before it's time to grill those baby backs for dinner.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Overall it’s been a mild summer here, but today we are totally socked in with fog and it’s cold… It’s nearly lunchtime and it’s only 61 degrees outside. I feel a little sorry for the tourists, but I guess the local stores can sell some jackets and pullovers. (Just a little sorry, they're still on vacation and I'm not.)

Richmond Jake

Current conditions...it's a hot one. :h:

Fair
88°F - 31°C
Humidity - 88%
Wind Speed - SW 12 mph
Barometer - 30.01 in (1016.2 mb)
Dewpoint - 83°F (28°C)
Visibility - 10.00 mi
Heat Index - 112°F (44°C)

kms

Cyburbian
We've had some intense storms during the past week that have caused street flooding. I sat out a storm in a convenience store parking lot today, high on a hill, and had to wait for the stream that was flooding the four lane road to subside and stay in its banks. I was one of the few who chose to stay put; most others continued to drive through the water. They couldn't see how full and fast the stream was, nor could they see the spot where the flow was going over the bank and back into the stream. Potentially deadly.

Less than a year ago, a woman and her 3 kids, and and elderly woman, drowned when a street in Pittsburgh flooded. How soon people forget.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Looks like a large swath of the country, from JNA to Hilldweller, is in the cross-hairs for rough weather today. I've got a crew coming to do some work at my house this afternoon (hauling away the remains of my former deck) and I hope they can get it done before the weather comes on. Be careful out there, folks!

Richmond Jake

Fair 88°F 31°C
Humidity 86%
Wind Speed SW 14 mph
Barometer 29.98 in (1015.3 mb)
Dewpoint 83°F (28°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 110°F (43°C)

How do people live here without a pool?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Yet another severe thunderstorm moving into our area. It's so dark outside that the streetlights have come on at 8:45 a.m. :-c

We've had bada$$ storms 3 of the last 4 days.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It looks like the drought in SW NYS has broken. We got 2+ inches of rain (nice soaking/all day long rains not gully washers) in most of the area in the last ten days and temps have dropped down to the upper 70s/low 80s where they belong. The extended forecast shows more of the same with scattered thunderstorms over the weekend.

Richmond Jake

Summer is still here....

Thunderstorm in Vicinity
87°F 31°C
Humidity 92%
Wind Speed W 13 mph
Barometer 29.91 in (1012.9 mb)
Dewpoint 84°F (29°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 111°F (44°C)

btrage

Cyburbian
Just got the electric bill for the first time at the new house. Being that this house is twice as large as my last house, and with how hot it has been, it wasn't too bad of a hit to the pocket book.

boiker

Cyburbian
July was a rather cool month. Rarely got over 110. The monsoon has been active everywhere but the 10 square miles surrounding my neighborhood. Most areas in Phoenix have gotten around an inch, at my house we got about a tenth of an inch.