• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
10 PM - still is 80 F w/ 80 % humidity.

Forecast
Monday 95 F
Tuesday 96 F
Wednesday 96 F
Thursday 96 F

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hotter than hades here...

We braved a BBQ competition and blues fest in 96F full on sun yesterday and today was a breezy 92F. Thank god for a neighborhood pool and central A/C.

zman

Cyburbian
Somebody shoot me. :-@
Hotter than the armpit of Lucifer in Colorado.
Through the night, my house cooled down to a nice :)r:) 77 degrees...:-@

It's times like these that make me wonder if the cold weather and winter will ever return. If I had to live in this heat year round, I would've asked to have been put down long ago.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
zmanPLAN said:
Somebody shoot me. :-@
Hotter than the armpit of Lucifer in Colorado.
Through the night, my house cooled down to a nice :)r:) 77 degrees...:-@

It's times like these that make me wonder if the cold weather and winter will ever return. If I had to live in this heat year round, I would've asked to have been put down long ago.

Two words....

Central Air :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
My mom said it was 114F at her place in the San Fernando Valley (L.A.) yesterday... ewwwwwww. When it gets that hot, it's just nasty :(

Still gorgeous and in the 70s/20s here. :) :) :)

SGB

Cyburbian
The solution to pollution is ......

The National Weather Services has issued an Air Stagnation Advisory for much of northeastern New York state.

So, it ain't just the !@#$! heat taking our breath away today......

BKM

Cyburbian
Yesterday was BRUTAL in Vacaville. When I got home at 6:15, the time-and-temperature readout at the local high school read 105.

There was not fog even in Pacifica this morning. Pacifica is one of the coldest, foggiest spots in the Bay Area. If the high in Pacifica is going to be 80, just imagine what the interior temps are going to be today. :-@ No relief in sight, either. 109 today, with a major cooling trend starting tomorrow-with a high of 108. My air conditioning keeps the sheltered rooms cool, but it is struggling to deal with things like the stairwell up to the third floor.

As much as I absolutely love my open floor plan and soaring ceilings, they are not suitable for this climate. If I were building a new house for myself, it would be straw bale or rammed earth, adobe style. More thermal mass.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mrs. G had arranged to borrow her dad's power-washer so we (I) could wash the deck and restain it. Of course, temps were in the mid 90s with heat indices in the low 100s. Saturday wasn't so bad because the water kept me somewhat comfortable (along with thoughts about cold beers at Bells/Laefest). Yesterday, working in partial shade, was a killer. I just really, really felt exhausted last night.

More of the same weather for the week ahead.

zman

Cyburbian
Keep in mind, Lads and Lasses. Global Warming is just a myth. :r:

The administration says so....

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We have been having very heavy thunderstorms for the last couple of hours, and there's a lot more bad stuff headed right for us in the next hour or so. The thunderclaps are so loud, they're setting off car alarms in the parking lot. :-o Yup, summertime in Florida...

Sure hope it clears up before I have to pick the dog up at the kennel after work....

otterpop

Cyburbian
It is supposed to be up to 95 degrees here today. Dry, hot and windy throughout much of the state, with grass and forest fires in central and eastern Montana.

Even my wife, who is from Colombia, thinks it is hot. The dark, cool basement beckons us.

I will be glad when mid-August rolls around and things get cool again.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The NWS Paducah, KY has issued a Heat Advisory ...which is in effect from 1 pm this afternoon (Wednesday) to 7 pm CDT Thursday.

A large dome of high pressure will keep oppressively hot and humid air across the lower Ohio Valley for at least the next 48 hours.
An air mass that produced highs of 95 to 100 degrees just off to our south and west tuesday should provide similar highs for the Quad state today and tomorrow. Combined with high humidity levels...you can expect the heat index to peak near 105 today...and in the 105 to 110 range Thursday.

Plan-it

Cyburbian
Atlanta + Heat wave = SMOG! :victory:

It has been unbearable with the 100 degree weather and bad air. It seems like a week of "severe smog advisory" warnings where they tell people not to breathe air. So what do people do, drive more because they are told not to walk. That will fix it! Where is my oxygen mask. :-@

It's been pretty gorgeous here at 5am for the last couple weeks - 65 degrees - gorgeous sunrises. On Monday though - by 7:45 when I walked the kids down to the convenience store with a 20lb baby strapped to my back, and pushing the boys, I had completely sweat through my shirt on a 2 mile walk.

We took our afternoon walk in the mall. And then spent the evening in my IL's pool - the water was 86 degrees.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Thankfully the temperatures have reduced from the low 40s to the low 30s. And, it's much more bearable. Yaa!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
A thunderstorm came through late this afternoon and into the early evening. We need the rain--badly. It cooled the temperature down to 70 F at this hour. I'll get to sleep with the windows open and no a/c running tonight. :)

Richmond Jake

RichmondJake said:
A thunderstorm came through late this afternoon and into the early evening. We need the rain--badly. It cooled the temperature down to 70 F at this hour. I'll get to sleep with the windows open and no a/c running tonight. :)
This storm brought winds clocked at 71 mph at the airport last night. The wind brought down a large branch from a tree making it difficult to get my pickup out of the garage this morning. I have some clean up to do when I get home.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
Monster strom blew through the area last night. About 500k w/out power, I have a houseful of friends today, all their offices and homes are w/out electricity and the heat index is supposed to be around 115 today...too bad this offices power is working just fine :r:
Apparently 3 buildings came down last night due to the winds, Busch was cleared out (then the game resumed around 9:20 p.m.), some of Lambert Airports roof ended up crossing two lanes of traffic on Highway 70 and tons of power outages and trees down. It was a strange storm, very, VERY windy, dark and green out but little rain until the winds passed and even then, there wasn't much rain.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Don't know if anyone has been watching the weather in the central US but man if is HOT! 110 -115 degrees every stinkin' day. It is suppose to cool down this weekend.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
Don't know if anyone has been watching the weather in the central US but man if is HOT! 110 -115 degrees every stinkin' day. It is suppose to cool down this weekend.

I heard that we range between 10 to 14 days over 100 degrees a year and that we are on pace to be there again. We usually have a week in July that is like this... and we're almost through it.

BKM

Cyburbian
God, I'm dying.

It was 113+ here today. I left for the coast (contributing to the smog, sadly enough), and it was even very, very very warm in Ocean Beach (San Francisco's westernmost coastline). San Francisco downtown was a record 87. Downtown SF is not pleasant when it approaches 90. My ancient air conditioner has been running full time, I doubt it got much below 80 last night at 5:00 a.m. It frankly, can't keep up. I am sitting here dripping. I hate to spend the $5,000+, but I may need to. :-c And, living in this inland climate, I'm afraid, I cannot take a ecological approach. Can't afford a buried adobe walled solart house. :p I love my little townhouse and town much of the year, but I am suffering this year. It's almost 7:30. and it's still 109 outside. :-@

Not a sign of dip[ping below the mid 100s during the enxt week. It just keeps boiling. My poor little planter island garden is shrivelling up, and a huge eucalyptus branch fell in my driveway. I wown no chain saw (its at least 4" thick), so I have no idea how I am going to get it chipped and recycled.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
swirling wind and rain on the island this evening as I sat on my screened in porch with a cigar and a glass of chardonnay - but got some color at a lunchtime picnic - welcome to maine, where the weather is always changing ;) :p :r:

Richmond Jake

But isn't it a dry heat, BKM? Heat index was well over 100 here today. But I'm not complaining. Pool cools me off. ;) :-D :)

lp said:
I sat on my screened in porch with a cigar and a glass of chardonnay...
Hello? Oh wait, you're married with children....never mind...carry on. everybody keep walking. .;-) :-D :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
sheesh you people should migrate if you don't like heat... around here it rained throughout all the week and the max temperature must have been around 15ºC min... well around 2º... :)

Maybe we could establish a Cyburbia Summer Camp around here... :D

nerudite

Cyburbian
Oh man it's been really hot today. In the mid-30sC/90sF. It's not cooling down much, and I feel bad for the kids. I sleep in the basement, where it's cool all year round. So I sleep fine... but I wish we could get a good t-storm to cool the place down. But not so the type that comes with hail and flooding please. :)

BKM

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
sheesh you people should migrate if you don't like heat... around here it rained throughout all the week and the max temperature must have been around 15ºC min... well around 2º... :)

Maybe we could establish a Cyburbia Summer Camp around here... :D

Phthhhhhp! Migrate where, exactly? It was 104 in PORTLAND, OREGON! And 97 in "cool, green, rainy Seattle.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was 92F today...not too bad for SC in July. It rained really hard last night with lots of lightning. Tonight it's raining again but not that hard and very little lightning. Makes for really humid mornings though. The whole country seems hotter than usual all at the same time this summer. Makes you wonder about the power grid integrity :-c

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Phthhhhhp! Migrate where, exactly? It was 104 in PORTLAND, OREGON! And 97 in "cool, green, rainy Seattle.

Ever heard about reverse seasons? Yes... the southern hemisphere is in winter now... and when I said "...establish a Cyburbia Summer camp here"
Here = Chile. ;) maybe I should have been a bit more explicit... :p

Yes... I know it's not viable... but still.

donk

Cyburbian
Today was a super weird day. Gorgeous this morning from 6-12 (sunney, a light breeze temps in teh mid 20's). Then around 2 it thundershowered for about an hour and half, now kind of clear, but looking grey.

Glad I got motivated to get a good 2 hour mtb ride in this morning.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Last couple days here in NW Ohio it has been sunny and temperatures reaching about 80F to 82F. Warmer and more humid air heading this way by mid-week.

This Bear is ready for the cool air of autumn. (Firmly affixed to the footballs flying through the ozone.)

Bear

BKM

Cyburbian
114 here in Vacaville. I drove again to the coast and di a long bicycle ride in San Francisco, Daly City, and Pacifica. I think there was probably a 50 degree difference.

It;s supposed to cool off. Goody, The high next week will opnly 92:-c

The Irish One

It;s supposed to cool off. Goody, The high next week will opnly 92

I can ride 3 hours in 92 degree heat. 100 +, things get slow and I'm careful.
There is a very noticeable difference for myself.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I never know what's gonna happen here. Got home right past 5, big dark storm clouds rolling in from the NE. Ran out right away to bring in the trash can and get the mail. So that's been 2 hours ago, no thunder, no rain. But yesterday afternoon, I kept hearing thunder, and it was blue skies all around, and we got that freaky rain where it's still sunny out.

Richmond Jake

Rain, heavy at times, off and on since about noon today here. We needed it. I think it's moving in your direction, gal. Forecast is for rain Friday, too. NOOOO!!! :-c

The One

Cyburbian
Its.....

116 outside and almost NO WIND:-c Humidity is about 25%:r: Kinda cool compared to last weeks 120's:6: :u:

zman

Cyburbian
dandy_warhol said:
might have more to do with anxiety than OCD. the stress of living in a chaotic environment coupled with the amount of work that you feels might need to be done to your house could definitely be stressing you out. i think if you straighten up some things tonight you might feel better. /armchair analysis

I think you are right.
Going to the gym.
Cleaning house.
Cooling the bedroom off to get some sleep.

It is supposed to rain like hell this afternoon. Window air conditioners are okay in heavy rain right? :-c

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
It is supposed to rain like hell this afternoon. Window air conditioners are okay in heavy rain right? :-c
Sure, they have even been known to survive multiple hurricanes! (provided they were installed correctly.....;) )

The One

Cyburbian
Doh!

zmanPLAN said:

I'll bet that your CC&R's don't allow window AC units and it is just a matter of time before you get busted:-c :r: :-| or some snoopy neighbor turns you in to the neighborhood police:r: Seriously, post the rules from your HOA on this, I think we'd all get a kick out of that......wouldn't we???;) Don't forget to check your architectural control committee rules on this...they are sure to have a problem with it also....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The heat is on!

zmanPLAN said:
I think you are right.
Going to the gym.
Cleaning house.
Cooling the bedroom off to get some sleep.

Actual temp is almost 100 in many parts of South West Michigan with heat indexes exceeding 110 in some areas. This is NOT the reason I live in Michigan.

The One

Cyburbian
Wow!

michaelskis said:
Actual temp is almost 100 in many parts of South West Michigan with heat indexes exceeding 110 in some areas. This is NOT the reason I live in Michigan.

It will barely break 100 here in the cool, dry Western Arizona region for the next few days.......maybe I'll break out a sweater and the hot chocolate:p :r: ;) I loved seeing the temps. in the multi-color this weekend for South Dakota!!!!!!!! 110's:-c

cololi

Cyburbian
We've dropped considerable as well. Bye bye 100 degrees plus, hello 80's! At least we don't have humidity (it was as low as 7% one day last week). I feel for those who suffer from high temps and high humidity.

SGB

Cyburbian
cololi said:
I feel for those who suffer from high temps and high humidity.

That will be us tomorrow. Heat index is forecast to be at least 105F.

LadyBuc

Cyburbian
Darn, it's good to be in Florida. Not that it's cool or anything, but we are used to it...
Actually our highs at the moment are only in the low 90's. ;-)

zman

Cyburbian
cololi's weather is coming towards us. I can see it now... especially here, since I am working from home as I am not feeling well. :victory:

[ot]You know, I never thought of my HOA regs when putting it (a/c) up. It is facing the backyard, and judging by the non-landscaping of many of my neighbors back there... they'd probably think twice on reporting me lest they get reported. [/ot]

SGB

Cyburbian
severe heat advice

The National Weather Service said:
Stay In An Air-Conditioned Room... Stay Out Of The Sun... And Check Up On Relatives And Neighbors.

I'll be checking on the next door neighbors after work tomorrow. You know, the ones with the pool. ;)

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
A very pleasant weekend. To the point where I actually went riding in the Sacramento Valley on Saturday. Of course, "pleasant" in the valley during the height of summer means.......Delta Winds. So 40+ miles of headwinds (25 miles) and side winds. My legs were like damp papier macher on Sunday, I even skipped the first climb entirely on my Sunday ride with friends.

Today, the wind's blowing, so temperatures will remain seasonal. No monster heat waves in sight, tg.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
All of a sudden, we are having a thunderstorm where lightning is cracking about every 2 seconds and the power keeps going off, and we're hearing sirens all around. Rain so heavy we can't see across the street. Typical FL summertime weather, but never nice to see.

chukky

Cyburbian
Late winter in Brisbane and we're having beautiful long summer days. Crisp in the morning, toasty warm by eleven. Some one remind me when we hit 45 degrees with 99% humidity in December.