• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

dw914er

Cyburbian
Sunny and clear skies with a temperature of 88 degrees right now. It should cool off to the mid 50's during the middle of the night. :h:

It's amazing how nice one area is doing, and another area is getting battered by a storm. I saw this posted recently:
BREAKING: The water level at the Battery has reached 11.25 feet, surpassing the all-time record of 11.2 feet set in 1821.

:(

Stay safe everyone out there!

Last edited:

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Checking in

Checking in from Sandy's cold, windy and rainy southern end. Besides crappy weather, we are definitely very lucky to have power and no major winds so far. Sleet in the area...snow out west. Stay safe east coast!

Tide

Cyburbian
Checking in from Sandy's cold, windy and rainy southern end. Besides crappy weather, we are definitely very lucky to have power and no major winds so far. Sleet in the area...snow out west. Stay safe east coast!

I agree, Wilmington NC got the first lapping from Sandy - 2.5 days of dreary-constant rain and wind (only about 20mph). Today dried out and the sun even made a brief appearance, unseasonable cold tonight, but still have not turned that switch from AC to Heat.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Lovely forecast for this week.

QrmLW.png

btrage

Cyburbian
Very strong winds and rain throughout Metro Detroit. Nothing too serious, but we are feeling the effects of Sandy. She's such a bitch and is set to ruin my Halloween.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
No pictures because my wife is taking my daughter to a Halloween party at the library and I'm not driving up to the lake to go sit around my in-laws house without her... but apparently they lost power yesterday morning around 7:30 a.m. and the beach, which was normally about 50 feet wide all summer, is now just a foot or two wide with the waves coming well over the seawall (their seawall is probably 30" or so).

They have a pretty wide yard between their house and the seawall and it gradually slopes up, away from the water, so they are not too concerned about their house flooding. However, there are some houses near them that are much closer to the beach than they are so it could get interesting. For reference, this is all about 3.5 miles north of the Blue Water Bridge.

Edit: Here's an article about the area with a few pictures: Hurricane Sandy blasts Blue Water Area. Hopefully the paper will add more pictures to it throughout the day.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
...is set to ruin my Halloween.
I recall this was a fairly normal Halloween when I was a kid. I would swear it rained or snowed probably 6 of the 9 or so years I went trick-or-treating.

btrage

Cyburbian
No pictures because my wife is taking my daughter to a Halloween party at the library and I'm not driving up to the lake to go sit around my in-laws house without her... but apparently they lost power yesterday morning around 7:30 a.m. and the beach, which was normally about 50 feet wide all summer, is now just a foot or two wide with the waves coming well over the seawall (their seawall is probably 30" or so).

They have a pretty wide yard between their house and the seawall and it gradually slopes up, away from the water, so they are not too concerned about their house flooding. However, there are some houses near them that are much closer to the beach than they are so it could get interesting. For reference, this is all about 3.5 miles north of the Blue Water Bridge.

I was wondering how bad it was up there. I know my niece and nephews had no school because of power outages.

The only real effects of the storm we've felt so far is the neighbors across the street who fail to cover their garbage buckets so their bags are in their front yard with trash blowing up and down the street.

Update: Today is trash pick up day, and my wife said the mom and both of the kids all left for the day with 3 bags of garbage laying in their front yard, with one of them open. Assholes.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We're fine here in SW Ohio, just some strongish winds.

But my BIL is in southern NJ and they got hit hard. He's alright, but without power. We're keeping a close eye on him.

btrage

Cyburbian
I recall this was a fairly normal Halloween when I was a kid. I would swear it rained or snowed probably 6 of the 9 or so years I went trick-or-treating.

You know, you're probably right. Perhaps I have a highly romanticized view of Halloween and forget about the weather due to the glorious amount of candy that finds its way into my house each year.

Planit

Cyburbian
Just a little spitting of rain here, saw some snow blowing down off the mountains. Major cold wind though. Soccer practice for the kiddies was fun with that.

kjel, you out there?

The HMS Bounty was moored in my fair hometown while I was growing up. It was a tourist attraction for many years. I can still remember seeing it at the pier. I'm sad she's lost at sea.

Linda_D

Cyburbian

Edit: Here's an article about the area with a few pictures: Hurricane Sandy blasts Blue Water Area. Hopefully the paper will add more pictures to it throughout the day.

There were loads of people up in Niagara County (north of Buffalo on the south shore of Lake Ontario) who went out to the Wilson, NY harbor to take pix of the waves, which they don't get very often. One college kid from Niagara University tried surfing until the sheriff came along and dissuaded him from doing it. A few fools actually went out on the concrete pier on the east side of the harbor, but most people just stayed up on the bluffs in Krull Park and took in the view. Very windy, very rainy, but very safe up there. If I lived in Buffalo, I might have made the trip myself.

I was wondering how bad it was up there. I know my niece and nephews had no school because of power outages.

The only real effects of the storm we've felt so far is the neighbors across the street who fail to cover their garbage buckets so their bags are in their front yard with trash blowing up and down the street.

Update: Today is trash pick up day, and my wife said the mom and both of the kids all left for the day with 3 bags of garbage laying in their front yard, with one of them open. Assholes.

Neighbors like that make you think that living like a hermit on some mountain or on a deserted island might NOT be so bad.

I decided NOT to put out my trash last night because I assumed that the winds would still be nasty this morning, and my empty trash can, which has a tendency to become so easily airborne that it has to be stored in the garage, would sail off to PA but not before causing all kinds of mischief. Surprisingly, the winds were minimal this morning, but our diligent city garbage folk were out at 6 AM, so my garbage will get a week to "cure".

Generally, Sandy proved to be a dud here in the far western Southern Tier of NYS. There were only scattered power outages throughout WNY, and minimal flooding, partly because the rain was much less than predicted, and partly because of the fairly dry summer we had where ponds and reservoirs were pretty well drawn down. I think we have recharged a lot of acquifiers in this part of the country, though.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
We were lucky. In fact we had some thunderstorms this summer that resulted in stronger winds and more damage. We luckily never lost power but others in our region did. We were lucky this time.

Planit, I saw the HMS Bounty story on The Today show this morning. Apparently the captain is still lost at sea. :(

The members of the Coast Guard are pretty dang awesome. I am amazed at their bravery and skill.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
A guy that I knew when I lived out east was in the Carribian when it hit there, only to fly home to Eastern PA to prepare to get hit again. He said he has already met Sandy and she is a B&#%!.

It is cold, very windy and raining here in West Michigan, and we are only at the edge of the storm. I am impressed with how everyone out east is doing and hope that everyone is staying safe.

Tide

Cyburbian
I need intervention as I am addicted to this storm

My wife yelled at me last night to get off the computer. The pictures coming out of twitter and facebook were awesome (in the true sense of the word).
I don't necessarily like destruction but the power of nature gets me awestruck. I did the same with the Fukashima Tsunami.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Sunny and supposed to be in the mid-80's here today, but thinking about my cousin in Brooklyn and wondering if her and her family are okay.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
There is this strange, glowing ball in the sky ... oh, yeah! It's the sun!!! We went almost 10 straight days of nasty, dark clouds ...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yesterday's report: sunny, low 40s.

99gRJ.jpg

In the morning:

5t3T6.jpg

Around noon:

VeNPq.jpg

michaelskis

Cyburbian
60's this weekend, snow in time for rush hour traffic on Tuesday morning... GREAT... I get to be on the freeways with people who forget how to drive in the snow... :-@

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We only made the mid-40s today, which made it colder than 51 days of this past winter. I hope it's a sign of a colder snowier winter: I love watching the snow fall.:)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mid-30s (about 2 polite Canadian degrees) and overcast.

cKg9p.jpg

Otis

Cyburbian
Wheeeee! We're in for a ride tonight! Storm after storm has been coming in all weekend, each stronger than the last. Much, much rain. Tonight, during a special meeting/hearing of the city council on a controversial annexation, we're supposed to have winds gusting to 100 mph! Power has been cutting in and out at city hall all day, and is out at various points in the city, such as my neighborhood, which is about to be annexed.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Yesterday had about a 35-degree swing between the temperature when I got up and the afternoon high....toady it will be about a 2-degree change...go figure.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Mid 40s this morning here in the ATL 'burbs, headed up to mid 70s this afternoon...looks like I'll get to open the windows for at least a couple of hours today. :h:

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Slept with the window open and the ceiling fan on for the second straight night. Even in Dallas, that's just not right for December.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
On the way back from the store during my lunch hour, I noticed the temp read 64, so I opened the sunroof a bit just to say that I did drove with the roof open in December!

It's raining now, though, and we're supposed to have light lake effect snow tomorrow!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Slept with the window open and the ceiling fan on for the second straight night. Even in Dallas, that's just not right for December.

Windows have been open here the last few nights and will continue for the next several days. Unseasonably warm here on the panhandle.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Calling for snow this weekend and a bit into next week, then warm temps again next weekend.

Starting to wonder if I am in Michigan or next door to RJ.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's drizzling and foggy out at them moment. Feels like a cold wet rag.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Raining even though the forecast says it should be dry. Still looks like it will be awhile until Chicago sees snow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This is bizarre, already starting the second week in December and no snow yet. wow.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
It was extremely foggy around here yesterday. Usually the fog will dissipate as the day goes on, but in this instance, it actually got worse. I couldn't even see the barns on my neighbor's property across the street. :-o

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
It's 68 at 6:30 a.m, the high for today is supposed to be 70. The low is forecast to be 33. Tomorrow, 43 high, 24 low. Winter may be on it's way to Dallas.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
It's 64°F on the :fl: panhandle under an overcast sky. Forecast high of 74°F today with a slight chance of showers.

I should start breakfast for you-know-who.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Thunderstorm passing through along the Ohio Rive,. radar was showing red.

61 degrees.

this is December ?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Watching teh Lions/Packers game. Definitely snowing in Green Bay.

btrage

Cyburbian
I'm gonna be in the Sarasota area following Xmas for about 7 days. Hopefully the weather is at least a little on the warm side.

ColoGI

Cyburbian
btrage;654869 said:
I'm gonna be in the Sarasota area following Xmas for about 7 days. Hopefully the weather is at least a little on the warm side.

I just got back from the Pt Charlotte area yesterday, successfully surviving the clown-level drivers. Weather folks there commenting on the unseasonable warm, dry conditions so far and this old weatherman sees no long-term change for the next several weeks.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
We had about 4 inches of wet snow shortly after Thanksgiving, but none since then until last night when we got, literally, a dusting. There have been some flurries today.

It doesn't look like we'll get much snow in the next 10 days, either, since temps are supposed to be in the 30s and the winds 10 or less from the west, south or southwest. I used my snowblower so little last year that it didn't need a new sparkplug or an oil change this season, and may NOT get much use this season, either.

I bought a pair of snowshoes on sale late the winter before last, and we haven't had enough to try them since!