• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

btrage

Cyburbian
We had about 4 inches of wet snow shortly after Thanksgiving, but none since then until last night when we got, literally, a dusting. There have been some flurries today.

It doesn't look like we'll get much snow in the next 10 days, either, since temps are supposed to be in the 30s and the winds 10 or less from the west, south or southwest. I used my snowblower so little last year that it didn't need a new sparkplug or an oil change this season, and may NOT get much use this season, either.

I bought a pair of snowshoes on sale late the winter before last, and we haven't had enough to try them since!

My wife and I got ourselves our first ever pairs of cross country skis this fall. Like you, I wonder if we'll even be able to use them.

ColoGI

Cyburbian
We had about 4 inches of wet snow shortly after Thanksgiving, but none since then until last night when we got, literally, a dusting. There have been some flurries today.

It doesn't look like we'll get much snow in the next 10 days, either, since temps are supposed to be in the 30s and the winds 10 or less from the west, south or southwest. I used my snowblower so little last year that it didn't need a new sparkplug or an oil change this season, and may NOT get much use this season, either.

I bought a pair of snowshoes on sale late the winter before last, and we haven't had enough to try them since!

I just approved the first of what I suspect to be several $1500 bills for winter watering. We are starting to see - across the country - the cost of man-made climate change: weird weather.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Dark, dreary, wet, overcast, low 40s (about 5 progressive European degrees, without the same hangups about modesty as you silly Americans all seem to have).

aYcOg.jpg

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Dark, dreary, wet, overcast, low 40s (about 5 progressive European degrees, without the same hangups about modesty as you silly Americans all seem to have).

aYcOg.jpg

Can't see that moving car clearly, could it be a Volvo wagon?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was in the 50s here yesterday... And they say that we will not get or first real snowfall Thursday late, and it will continue into Sunday.... I leave town on Friday!

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It's raining here and about 40. Sunday it was close to 50 and yesterday, it actually hit 50 I think. For December in these parts, that's downright "balmy".

It's hard to believe, but I don't think we've had measurable snow in Jamestown in December, just a dusting. We've had 6 inches or less for the entire 2012-2013 season so far. The ski resorts are hurting. Snowplowers are hurting. Snowmobiling is a big, big deal around here since Chautauqua County has hundreds of miles of marked and groomed snowmobiling trails, and numerous businesses from bars to bed and breakfasts to snowmobile dealers depend on the sport, and this is the second year in a row when there's been NO snow in an area that averages 180-200 inches of snow a year. :(

btrage

Cyburbian
No snow in my neck of the woods. And it doesn't appear to be any in the 7 day forecast.

btrage

Cyburbian
I think we are supposed to get 1" - 2" Friday morning.

I guess it does appear that way. Channel 4's website doesn't really say so, but other places do. I'm not a fan of snow by any means, but a light dusting does help to cover up the dirty, ugly brown.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
25-35 cm (+/- 1 foot) of snow coming between tonight and tomorrow...looks like it may be a white Christmas after all. Not leaving town until Saturday thankfully.

btrage

Cyburbian
We're not supposed to get a whole lot of snow here, but I can already feel the wind blowing through the wall of my 52 year old office.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We have no snow now, and it sounds like it will not start until mid morning tomorrow... I am happy that it is arriving in force today north of here, in hopes that it burns out before we hit the road tomorrow.

TOFB

Cyburbian
7 inches here in eastern Iowa - -whiteout conditions and still coming down.

Otis

Cyburbian
Five inches of rain in the last two days, 35 degrees. Snow up in the hills. Strong wind and GREAT stormy surf (over 20 feet).

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
70 d. here today, but expect to go into the low 30's and high 20's over the next few nights. Early for a freeze on the panhandle.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Windy and clear with a high of 55°F today. Brrrrrr. Forecast is for potentially freezing temps tomorrow morning. Brrrrrr. Perfect hot tub weather.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Well, we got < 4 inches before midnight, and some more since, so we probably have 6-8 inches so far here in Jamestown. However, the winds are really whipping, which means that all that snow got pushed into drifts like the one in front of my garage, and the Jamestown DPW, bless their hearts, snowplowed my street within an inch of its life overnight which means I have about 2 feet of snow across my driveway at the street.

I gotta have breakfast before I bundle up like the Abominable Snowwoman and fire up the snowblower. No early doggie play date at the park for Tucker this AM. Too cold and windy for his Mom!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I hear Grand Rapids has no snow, but the UP has a good amout. Roads were ice and snow converted all the way here yesterday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We're getting a couple inches of snow here, a couple inches there, but no real winter yet.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We're getting a couple inches of snow here, a couple inches there, but no real winter yet.

We have about 8 or 9 inches on the ground here. I've already shoveled more this week than I did all of last winter. Some friends from Midland stop by earlier today and they said they have not had barely any up there yet.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Winter Weather Advisory

for New Years Eve
MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES

so I am not going anywhere.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
We got about 8-9 inches of primarily lake effect snow yesterday, bringing our total for the month, mostly since about the 20th of December, to more than 2 feet. That's good news for the ski resorts and the snowmobilers.

I think I'm going to try out my snowshoes if I can find them in the garage. I bought them at the end of the season a couple of winters ago, and we really didn't have enough snow last winter to use them, but now we finally do.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Low 30s (zero cultured European degrees) and partly sunny.

h1A2b.jpg

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This morning I learned that the cattle, pork, and chicken industries contribute to more global warming than cars do.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Rain. Rain. Rain.

We had 2 inches yesterday. Predicting another 1-3 inches today.

That means 4 commutes in crappy weather with a bunch of drivers who don't slow down and think that all rain drains equally.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Rain. Rain. Rain.

We had 2 inches yesterday. Predicting another 1-3 inches today.

That means 4 commutes in crappy weather with a bunch of drivers who don't slow down and think that all rain drains equally.

#firstworldproblems for someplace that's been in the news so much lately about droughts.;):) BTW, your region is exporting it this-a-way, so I'm just prepping myself for the same mood...

btrage

Cyburbian
Warming up to the 50s by Saturday. Most of the post-Xmas snow that fell should be melted.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Officially 1.3 inches of snow in Chicago so far this year, though some parts have gotten more. None anytime soon either probably.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I hear it might hit 60 this weekend... which is good because I need to put new front brake pads on my car. Yes, I have a garage, no it is not heated.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
77 d today on the FL panhandle! It's supposed to be sunny and stay warmer than usual thru the weekend, which means sitting out by the pool! :D

Planit

Cyburbian
Wet, rainy here today. Nice and 70 tomorrow. Yea weekend!

ursus did you get snowed in?

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Close to 60 and partly sunny for Saturday. Showery and around 50 on Sunday. For January in WNY, that's bermuda shorts weather even for us oldsters!

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Right now it is colder in Phoenix than it is in Kalamazoo Michigan. The high for today is 52 for both and the low is 20 degrees cooler in AZ. It is time for my 5 days of winter!

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Got up to 72 in E. Texas today. A cold front is in the process of moving through that will put us down to freezing temps. This little daffodil showed up and will be very disappointed in a few hours.

Daffodil.jpg

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
57 degrees in SW PA before sunrise.

We've got 44 and dense fog. We're supposed to top out at 55 today. I need a good run of weather this week to frame one house and get as much done on the foundation on another, very scary site.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got an inch of snow last night but it was heavily laden with ice. The main roads were good this morning but side streets were a bit dicey.