• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It hit 65 on my thermometer yesterday, but I think the official reading was 59 or something. We got a few showers but not a lot. All the snow on my lot, even down by the end of the driveway, is gone when it was piled at least 3 feet high on the north side of the driveway a week ago.

I walked the pup this morning in shoes!

The temps are supposed to fall into the 20s by tonight, but no snow until at least Thursday.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yuk. High wind, dark skies, and nasty pellet snow. 33°F, 1°☭.

RRJuf.jpg

Jazzman

Cyburbian
It's been snowing all day here in Birmingham, AL. 33F right now. We're usually good for snow about once a year, so this is probably it for us.

btrage

Cyburbian
Turned the space heater on for the first time in my office this morning.

It's not horribly cold today, but the highs next week are only supposed to be in the teens, so I wanted to make sure the space heater works.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There's a certain joking that goes on among folks that live in cold climes where we assume a default position that everyone 'dreads' winter (even if you really don't). For instance, on an unseasonably chilly day in September you might say to a stranger waiting in line next to you outdoors "Uh oh, looks like winter's come early." But this is two years in a row that we've found ourself in mid-January and winter has yet to hit. I mean it's been cold, but I'd say we've had barely 6 inches of snow total so far this season! Normally we'd be measuring in feet! Yes, shovelling driveways and driving on icy roads can be a pain but we need the water come springtime for the plants and lake levels...and so far the accumulation doesn't bode well at all.

btrage

Cyburbian
There's a certain joking that goes on among folks that live in cold climes where we assume a default position that everyone 'dreads' winter (even if you really don't). For instance, on an unseasonably chilly day in September you might say to a stranger waiting in line next to you outdoors "Uh oh, looks like winter's come early." But this is two years in a row that we've found ourself in mid-January and winter has yet to hit. I mean it's been cold, but I'd say we've had barely 6 inches of snow total so far this season! Normally we'd be measuring in feet! Yes, shovelling driveways and driving on icy roads can be a pain but we need the water come springtime for the plants and lake levels...and so far the accumulation doesn't bode well at all.

I agree.

I HATE the snow. But I also know that our lakes desperately need the precipitation. I was hoping for a lot of snow this year for that reason alone. But as you say, the last 2 years have been an oddity.

It does appear that West Michigan may get some lake effect snow starting Sunday night.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It does appear that West Michigan may get some lake effect snow starting Sunday night.
Last night when I took the trash out the scent of snow was in the air powerfully...we ended up getting a few flurries.:-| This is hurting the outdoor winter sports industry badly. It's going to cause problems for the boaters who won't be able to navigate onto Lake Mich. from shallow channels. It's going to hurt the farmers....this mild winter might cut down on the salt bill and eliminate overtime for the Streets Departments, but we are going to pay for it later..

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I agree.

I HATE the snow. But I also know that our lakes desperately need the precipitation. I was hoping for a lot of snow this year for that reason alone. But as you say, the last 2 years have been an oddity.

I actually love the snow and have been really missing it. We borrowed my in-laws cross country skis last winter and still haven't gotten the chance to use them. However, as much as I enjoy the snow and the cold, I am looking forward to going to Florida for a few weeks next month and being able to go swimming again.

The precipitation would be good for the lakes but what they really need is a good stretch of very cold weather (for a few weeks or a month or so). They haven't had that in a couple of years and the lack of prolonged ice cover means that the evaporation never slows down or stops like it is supposed to in the wintertime. That has a bigger effect on the water levels than a lot of people realize.

btrage

Cyburbian
I actually love the snow and have been really missing it. We borrowed my in-laws cross country skis last winter and still haven't gotten the chance to use them. However, as much as I enjoy the snow and the cold, I am looking forward to going to Florida for a few weeks next month and being able to go swimming again.

The precipitation would be good for the lakes but what they really need is a good stretch of very cold weather (for a few weeks or a month or so). They haven't had that in a couple of years and the lack of prolonged ice cover means that the evaporation never slows down or stops like it is supposed to in the wintertime. That has a bigger effect on the water levels than a lot of people realize.

My wife and I were recently given some cross country skis and I will admit that I would like to get out and try them.

That's a good point about the ice cover. I had never really thought about that.

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a good snow for about 2 or 3 hours last night, but it didn't really stick. Roads were icy because of all the rain we've had this week and schools were closed. I heard a bigger city and hour east of us had 3" on the ground.

High will be 47 and sunny today so all the roads should be clear.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
We had a good snow for about 2 or 3 hours last night, but it didn't really stick. Roads were icy because of all the rain we've had this week and schools were closed. I heard a bigger city and hour east of us had 3" on the ground.

High will be 47 and sunny today so all the roads should be clear.

We only had about 2" on the ground and most was already melted by the time I left for work at 9 something because of our two-hour delay.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Cold snap ended. :D

We had a little over a week of 20-40 degree temps (which is cold for SoCal), and now we're back to the high 60's and mid 70's. :h:

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Cold snap ended. :D

We had a little over a week of 20-40 degree temps (which is cold for SoCal), and now we're back to the high 60's and mid 70's. :h:

Thank goodness...the rest of the country was so worried about you all there! :p

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I woke up at 4:45 this morning to go to the gym and watched the thermometer on my Jeep drop from 41º when I pulled out of the garage to 2º by the time I got a half mile away. I made the mistake of leaving my iPod in the Jeep while I was working out and it didn't seem to appreciate that. When I came out it wouldn't turn on and just kept resetting itself over and over again. It was -3º on the thermometer when I was pulling into the parking lot at my office this morning. With the windchill, it's -18º here right now. I don't think I'll be heading out for my mid-morning walk through the campus today.

We had some really high winds a couple nights ago and there were about 100,000 homes without power at one point. I think I saw this morning that they are down to about 5,000 or so. I'd hate to be one of those houses right now.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Thermometer in the car said it was 5 driving to work this morning. Salt is useless at these temps and the road crews are currently laying down sand.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
How cold is it outside?

Fu*king. That's how cold it is. Fu*king.

gATT45C.jpg

1° In cultured, open-minded European degrees is "verdammt kalt".

kZ203Kw.jpg

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
How cold is it outside?

Fu*king. That's how cold it is. Fu*king.

Pffffft. Stop being such a wimp. ;)

It was -22F / -30 C here this morning. With the windchill it was -40 in both F and C. So cold, I actually put a sweater on this morning. :canada::p

Tide

Cyburbian
Very chilly here in Wilmington NC this morning. It was 24 at 8:30 AM taking my little one to Pre-K. Worst part is the other little one had hid half an ice cream cone in his winter coat so he only had a fleece to wear instead.

Considering most all homes here are on heat pumps and don't have furnaces the electric load today will be through the roof as if it were 98 out.

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Pffffft. Stop being such a wimp. ;)

It was -22F / -30 C here this morning. With the windchill it was -40 in both F and C. So cold, I actually put a sweater on this morning. :canada::p

Now that's f*ucking cold!

It was 3F this a.m. when I took the dogs out. I lost one of my gloves on my walk but I was not going back for it.

Planit

Cyburbian
Based on you guys from the northern states, the 17 degrees this morning here must seem outright balmy.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We suffered through a high of 66° F with sunny skies today. Tomorrow the forecast is for sunny skies with a high of 71° F. :h:

No snow in the forecast.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We suffered through a high of 66° F with sunny skies today. Tomorrow the forecast is for sunny skies with a high of 71° F. :h:

No snow in the forecast.

OMG that is soooo cold.

Today's high was a balmy 23F. Overnight low is supposed to be about 10F. The Cybs north of me are hovering around the 0F mark currently.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Looking like a decent chance for freezing rain or sleet here in the ATL during the morning commute tomorrow...good thing I'll be working from home. :h:

btrage

Cyburbian
It's slowly starting to warm up. The high next Tuesday is supposed to approach 50 degrees.

I think this is going to be the near-term winter weather pattern with climate change occurring. Periods of cold and snow followed by an above-average warm-up, with cold and snow to follow, repeat, repeat....very heavy snow falls will be mixed in, but will not be the norm.

Unfortunately, this would have devastating effects on the Great Lakes.

kms

Cyburbian
It was twice as warm this morning than it was yesterday, but yesterday was single digit. Our forecast shows 54 on Wednesday.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Temperatures here were well below zero when I got up this morning. This is Day 3 of the Deep Freeze. :not:

Hubby keeps lecturing me about the fact that I don't use my car (!) for days on end. "It's not good for it to sit unused in zero-degree weather."

Blide

Cyburbian
Woo get to go home early due to "bad" weather. Wet roads and freezing temperatures I guess are enough to shut everything down here. Can't really complain though.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Freezing rain to the south and snow to the north. The Louisville donut hole proves accurate again. (And that's okay for the FR, but not for the snow!):r:

kms

Cyburbian
We were dismissed at noon. It took 2 hours to get home, and there's only an inch or two of snow.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It's abnormally warm here: 68 today, with highs in the 70s over the next two days.

The sentinel bee that hangs out in our driveway in the spring showed up today, WAY early.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
It's abnormally warm here: 68 today, with highs in the 70s over the next two days.

The sentinel bee that hangs out in our driveway in the spring showed up today, WAY early.

We haven't had a day out of the teens since Christmas till yesterday....when the freezing rain arrived. :( Can I live with you in FL? I promise to mow the lawn....

DVD

Cyburbian
We keep going up and down with the fronts. Today has been nice at 50 - From my past in the desert I never thought I would utter that phrase.
This weekend should be good to, up to 60, but they predict rain that never seems to happen.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We were dismissed at noon. It took 2 hours to get home, and there's only an inch or two of snow.

It started to snow here between 4:30 and 5:00. Since it's been so cold it's basically powder just blowing around, nothing particularly sticky. The roads were more or less ok if you were on a main drag but less so on the side streets, the real problem will happen overnight when what was melted by traffic starts to freeze up. I am glad it happened on a weekend and that I no longer have an hour+ commute home.

Tide

Cyburbian
33 and raining here in Wilmington. If it drops just a tick we're in store for a bad night.

While driving today I saw the roads pre-treated here for the first time. I didn't even think we had the equipment here to handle that.

kms

Cyburbian
It started to snow here between 4:30 and 5:00. Since it's been so cold it's basically powder just blowing around, nothing particularly sticky. The roads were more or less ok if you were on a main drag but less so on the side streets, the real problem will happen overnight when what was melted by traffic starts to freeze up. I am glad it happened on a weekend and that I no longer have an hour+ commute home.

33 and raining here in Wilmington. If it drops just a tick we're in store for a bad night.

While driving today I saw the roads pre-treated here for the first time. I didn't even think we had the equipment here to handle that.

They pretreated the roads here. I wonder if the driving conditions would have been better had they left the roads dry so the snow could blow around.

My daughter said that they pretreated roads in her NC town. I hope she gets home from work OK. She has NO winter driving experience.