• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Slept with the windows open last night...low of 59°F. Forecast high today: 73°F. :h:

Linda_D

Cyburbian
The temp only dipped to 7 officially overnight, but that was at the airport. My house thermometer said 18. My car thermometer said 15. That's a significant improvement over the last few days. We might hit 20 for a high today! It was flurrying when I walked the dog this morning in the park. We've got only about 6-8 inches on the ground but some places to the west, along the so-called "Chautauqua Ridge", got upwards of 16-24 inches. The county DMV has its first Saturday morning snowmobile registration hours of the season today -- you have to have your snowmobile registered in order to use the hundreds of miles of snowmobile trails we have throughout the county. I saw three vehicles hauling sleds west just this morning.

It's supposed to be 25 and partly cloudy (ie, sunny by WNY standards) for tomorrow, so I'm trying to decide where I should go tomorrow. I'm thinking maybe Allegany SP but Long Point is closer and the trails are easier. Then again, Allegany is more scenic. I don't want to waste the sun.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
We have rain in the forecast for the next three days. Normally I would be excited but my patio rough has a leak. I hope my garbage bag and rock solution holds until the middle of the week when I can get a roofer to come by.

Richmond Jake

The weather was so nice we had lunch on the patio of Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville...about 100 yards from the Gulf of Mexico (75°F). :h:
Now that's a margarita.

Margaritaville.jpeg

Richmond Jake

Under mostly sunny skies today, we had a high of 73°F. It's 4:30 pm and currently 68°F. :h:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Crazy temp change - normally you would think it should get colder overnight but

5 pm 38o
midnight 47o
5 am 50o

with the
forecast high of 60.

Tuesdays forecast is not good -
With the passage of the front, strong to severe thunderstorms are expected to develop along or just ahead of the frontal boundary. Damaging winds should be the main threat with any storms that become severe, but an isolated tornado or two cannot be ruled out. Locally heavy rainfall will also be a possibility with the stronger storms.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
freezing rain. Schools closed. Inconvenient.

We got a couple inches of very wet, very heavy snow and ice here (on top of the other couple inches we already had) and every school on this side of the state seems to be closed today. Of course, it will be about 50º this afternoon and all of the snow will be long gone by the time I leave for the afternoon commute.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
We got a couple of inches of heavy wet snow overnight, and a tiny bit of freezing rain, but nothing serious.

I used my yak-trax when I walked the dog and didn't need them because it was raining by 7 am. I brought my yak-trax along to work, but I won't need them as it was 32 when I got to work, it's 34 now, and will probably be 37 or so later.

DVD

Cyburbian
It's been a weird morning for me, temps going up to 70 and fog all morning. It's not supposed to get much over 40, but that's the non existent global warming for you.

kms

Cyburbian
67 and kind of sunny here. I guess the storms will get here tomorrow and the temp will plummet.

Richmond Jake

Still 70°F. But tonight is the last night for several days where we sleep with the windows open. Tomorrow we expect a big change in the weather when we pass to the wrong side of a cold front..

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tornado Warnings at 9 pm along I-57 in Illinois - this is winter right ?

Tornado Watch from my county to Gedunker's until 5 am - this is winter right ?

The NWS watch & warning map :-o

Weather and city fire/police radio is ready.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Weather radio woke me at 4AM. Fortunately, just rain and wind here. Going to try to get back to sleep...:not:

kms

Cyburbian
It's 61 here. The wind and rain is forecast for later today, then back to winter.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's almost 50 out and all the snow has melted.....for the next several hours until the temps drop 25 degrees and we get another 6-10 inches

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's almost 50 out and all the snow has melted.....for the next several hours until the temps drop 25 degrees and we get another 6-10 inches

It was 63º at 4:45 on this side of the state this morning. I really wanted to go on a run to take advantage of the warmth, but it was still raining too much for my taste and many of the side streets have some very deep standing water.

Planit

Cyburbian
Tornadoes firing up all over the south - hang on today folks.

64 degrees @ 7:30 am on Jan30th does not compute inthese parts, but that's what it is.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Tornadoes firing up all over the south - hang on today folks.

64 degrees @ 7:30 am on Jan30th does not compute inthese parts, but that's what it is.

That means trouble's abrewin'

The storms get here right after sunset tonight. I have a crank up radio for events like this.

Tide

Cyburbian
70 this morning in the Port City. Walked out in a sweater to take the eldest to Pre-K but didn't have time to go back in and change.
The line of thunderstorms scares me because the warmer it gets here today, likely upper 70s the more drastic the drop when that line hits us and that equals more severe weather.

TOFB

Cyburbian
4 inches of snow on top of an inch of rain . . still desparately needing the moisture so its all good.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Yesterday it was 56 at 4:30 pm. This morning, it was 30 at 6 am and falling. Right now, it's 21 with wind and light snow.

We are under a lake effect snow warning until 6pm tomorrow, with anywhere from 10-20 inches of snow predicted, which in lake effect snow country means that you might get anywhere from 2-3 inches to 2 feet plus, depending upon how lucky/unlucky you are. According to the weather radar, there are some impressive bands of moderate snow just north of I-86 so the snow is currently missing us. There are power outages in the Dunkirk area, which is north of us along Lake Erie, primarily because the winds are gusting 40-50+ mph along the lake shore, and it looks like the folks along the Chautauqua Ridge, the escarpment that marks the old glacial lake bed, are getting dumped upon.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
13 degrees and a foot of snow on the ground. Feels like February 1st

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It's a balmy 16 degrees outside, and we have about 8-10 inches of snow on the ground, most of it coming down between about 6:30 am and 10 am this morning. It was snowing so hard at 7 am that I could barely see the houses across the street from my front window.

The morning commute made me glad once again that I drive a Subaru armed with WNY's winter driving survival gear: AWD, ABS, and electronic vehicle stability/anti-skid control system. The AWD meant I didn't have to snowblow my driveway to get out to the street, and I really didn't care if the streets weren't plowed (or were plowed but filled up again). The ABS chattered every time I touched the brakes all the way down the hill on Forest Avenue, and the stability control system light kept flickering on even when I took corners slowly.

Jamestown Public Schools closed again (they were closed last Tuesday, too).

The snow has mostly stopped for now and is forecast to move north towards Buffalo later. It can't leave soon enough for me.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We only got about a two inches of snow last night, but it flat came down, and the wind was making blizzard-like white out conditions. Several times I couldn't distinguish my detached garage for how hard the snow was coming down/blowing.

Some schools were closed this morning but, this being Indiana, and high school basketball in Indiana is in fact a religion, my son's HS team will be playing their biggest rivals tonight, school closing be damned. The boy is looking forward to making a racket in the visitor's section.;)

btrage

Cyburbian
My wife is driving to Grand Rapids for a 1:30 pm work meeting. I'm hoping she can get back on the road to Metro Detroit before the major snowfall starts.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
My family is going to get hammered in Boston. Where I am in the Dirty Jerzey it could be a bunch of nothing or a lot of something depending how the storm tracks. I think we will get at leas a couple of inches.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Prepping for 24-36" in my neck of the woods...and of course, my snowblower is "broken" and won't run after I start it. Lots of shoveling in the cards for the next couple of days. :(

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep getting hit here too NHPlanner - normally I love snow but it may cause me not go back to see my family this weekend - :(

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It's 36 here, and whatever snow in the near future appears to be to our north, so we may get less than the 4-7 inches predicted overnight. According to the weather radar, if that storm moves due east or northeast, we'll only get rain. Bummer. No snowmobiling.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Nemo

I just heard 12"-18" for our area. Or it could be 4"-6". We're right on the edge of the storm so depending which way the wind blows...

kms

Cyburbian
Wintry mix south of Nemo. I"m collecting cell phone numbers in case ice forces me to stay at home.

hilldweller

Cyburbian
They're saying we'll get 18 to 24 inches or so out here. All the old-timers are sharing stories about the blizzard of '78.

hilldweller

Cyburbian
The Boston media is in full freak-out mode. Could be up to three feet of snow. Filling up the tubs now..